Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do they put up with Discord?

CastletonSnob

Question Ive been asking for quite some time, you see if he actually offered unique perspective as an agent of chaos and if he offered worthwhile critiques or created scenarios that tested priority or morals, he would actually be passable... these things wouldn't make him an "obnoxious troll" as it seems it is his LITERAL job to play on Twilight's anxiety and put her through more pressure than is necessary, no Discord causes problems out of actual selfishness, and has been given so many chances that he doesn't deserve, this is "from perspective" his 3rd chance considering Celestia initially turning him to stone in the first place, and he proactively chooses to manipulate the mane 6 AGAIN, luring them into a trap for a mere power game in season 4... he causes problems bc it makes him more comfortable, sometimes it doesn't even seem like that, he causes them for the sake of causing them... You can see my full critique of Discord in the "Ponies you didn't think you would like" thread, I have explained many times my frustrations with this character... the writing however is supposed to portray Discords behavior as something you just "learn to tolerate" rather than giving him the accidental edge that DC gave to Joker, they don't want kids acting like Discord, they want kids able to tolerate him... He doesn't provide meaningful perspective, just usually some "woe is me bullshit" mixed with "lol watch what I'm about to do"...

A charicature of someone you don't always agree with doesn't make them an agent of chaos or a troll... which Is what I think objectively makes Starlight such an excellent pony pre and post reform... philosophy, perspective, motive, self defining characteristics... Discord is a troll for the sake of being a troll, not bc of some philosophical misunderstanding, some difference of perspective, but don't misperceive these traits in a character or a person and make some type of flimsy comparison bc you don't like someone else's point of view...  

Edit: well for some unknown reason, I can't find my thorough critique of Discord so either the OP of the post blocked me, the thread was deleted, or I'm being forbidden from seeing it for some reason... I don't like this character, I gave him props for "To Where And Back" that he was willing to put himself in danger knowing he would be powerless inside the changeling hive... But ultimately I think when people talk about characters that "don't deserve" forgiveness he is at the top of the list, his antics make no sense, and it seems more like the problems he causes are abrupt and out of plot desperation, "we need Discord to cause problems without a purpose bc who else would do this?" I will continue to look for my post but I think there is some kind of conspiracy going around that I unfairly pick on Princess Luna when I have just as many problems with Discord, it's just Discord has actually participated in an effort to save the world(when he probably should have been turned back to stone after the events of gen.4) and Luna really hasn't done much of anything... like literally she does nothing .. but no I divvy my critiques fairly... Just weird that I can't find my posts critiquing Discord in specific...

Edited by Spook Conundrum

The reason is because despite being obnoxious and immature, he cares for his friends, even when he doesn’t exactly show it all the time. He’s extremely close with Fluttershy and has close connections with Big Mac and Spike. When he cares, he does it his way, from breaking Sugar Belle’s wagon wheel to reunite her and Big Mac and helping Big Mac set up (and accidentally screw up) Big Mac’s marriage proposal.

Discord is the only friend they can only get rid of by turning him into a stone statue, and that is not a good way to learn about friendship and magic and stuff.

• 2 months later...

Well, if they didn't throw a certain filly into Tartarus which is filled with criminals, I would have said that they put up with Discord because they are merciful and want to be friends with everyone. However, things are the way they are. Discord is powerful, likely too overpowered, so it is more desirable to have powerful friends rather than powerful foes. Or in other words, they put up with Discord because he has power. Also, I would say that another reason is because Discord is good at teaching them lessons, though most of the time he didn't intend for it to happen. Another reason is that Discord is helpful occasionally.