Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion on brohoofs on this site?

MangoFoalix

The brohoof system is totally fine so long as you don't take it too seriously. I'll embarrassingly admit to being one of those people who's gotten insecure and overly self-conscious over certain posts of mine that I put a lot of work into and/or were "potentially controversial" getting no brohoofs at all in the past, but I always stick to what I say and refuse to lie, conforming to the "popular opinion" to get more likes. Though they're fun to get, what always matters to me most is the quality of the posts.  

• Brohoof 4

I enjoy brohoofs. They can signify quite a bit. Theyre often used as a sort of ‘like’ button, but they can be used to show that you agree or  relate to something.

Also.

BrohOOF :>

• Brohoof 2

I honestly misuse it, making posts that everyone can agree on and playing-it-safe to get "likes" rather then not being real, genuine about my opinions. Half of my brohoofs are probably fakes.   

I think they're a pretty good way of getting feedback on how many people agree with the stuff you post, but other than that they're really just for bragging rights, I think? I didn't even know this site had such a thing as 'winning days' or leaderboards. I am sometimes surprised at just how many brohoofs some people have, but I'm going to guess a lot of those come from forum games in addition to regular posts.

• Brohoof 1

It's a staple of social networking. I personally never really got it. When I first started seeing this kind of thing on Facebook, I didn't see the point, and even after a decade of using it, I STILL forget to use the feature sometimes. I've never made a big deal out of getting "likes," but I know a lot of others do. I've always been of the opinion that if a comment is good enough for a "like" then it's good enough for a reply. Clearly society has shown I'm in the minority on that front though. On the topic of 'scoring' brohoofs, I can easily see the trouble it could cause. Myspace was far worse than Facebook as far as ego issues, because you could actually order the friends on your list like a scoreboard, where it was like you were rating them from best to worst. I witnessed MANY problems caused by that system. Thankfully the other networks never adopted that. It's not at all a reflection of anything on this site, but it's still a good warning about what can happen when you turn a social status into a game where you can logistically track winners and losers.

• Brohoof 3

It's not a valid statistic / parameter to measure much of anything on this site because of the various upgrades over the years ultimately adding far too many variables, similar to other items like post-count, and a poll that has best characters (that kept changing over the years). 

Broohoofs and such basically mean x liked y for z reason. 

The best true ratio would be brohoofs, along side with word count, post count, and adverse conditions that would place the individual at odds with a segment of the community who would cease to like their content. In my opinion the best member who nailed every measurable element is a gentleman named Chaotic Discord. He amassed a large amount of long form, liked content, and is less active than anyone on the Leaderboard .... All while being a Mode rator and Admin warning and banning people and their friends .  

All that aside, they make for a great reminder. They help me circle back to a discussion and continue the conversation when I see new replies I hadn't yet read. 

• Brohoof 1

Brohoofs are the really the only reaction I use. I use them just to let people know I like something in their post and I find it a convenient way to convey that, without having to write a post saying that I found something amusing, or that I agree with the post.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
5 minutes ago, Paleopony said:

I only use them if I agree with the post.

That's fine. Me, I use them on posts I disagree with too, so long as I feel said post is deserving of whatever reaction I give it. I very rarely use "Pondering" as a dislike and never condescendingly use "Laugh" as a dislike though. 

Moments ago, CloudMistDragon said:

That's fine. Me, I use them on posts I disagree with too, so long as I feel said post is deserving of whatever reaction I give it. I very rarely use "Pondering" as a dislike and never condescendingly use "Laugh" as a dislike though. 

I'm only talking about brohoofs not other reactions.

Basically I use a brohoof as a way to say I acknowledge but I don't really care one specific emotion. Like a neutral "that's interesting".

If it was a post I really especially agree with I'll give them a teacup as if to say "well said old chap"