Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it "cheating" to see episodes aired in other countries first?

Toastypk

Having seen the thumbnail for an episode that someone put on youtube that aired in Australia, and now having been real excited to see it based on something that is in it, yet bummed at the same time cause I wanted to see it in the show first, not a youtube thumbnail, I wanted to know this. The US is getting these episodes in quite some time, and other countries are getting it sooner, or putting it all out at once. There isn't even a new episode on the 25th cause it's a repeat of the one they aired before the others. I never watched the leaks cause those werent supposed to come out, but I f[eel like I almost want to watch this particular one. I'm just so frustrated that I didn't get to see the episode first instead of a thumbnail showing something I wanted to really see.

Should I just go ahead and watch the one that someone put online? There isn't much wrong with that, would you consider it "cheating"? Or something that shouldn't be done? I don't want to have to have anything else spoiled t me before the episode airs in the US like I always watch it. Something

I'm hoping to see:

Spoiler

I'm really looking forward to Rockhoof and a Hard place for instance. If it's about him, maybe the other Pillars will appear as well. And if somehow Stygian appears in it, I'm gonna have to hug the screen.

There's a character from the comics who is the captain of the Mighty Helm, who would be perfect to show in this episode too. Regardless, I'm really anticipating this one.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 1

I don't count it as such. A lot of people have to watch the show online anyway – due to them being in a country that doesn't even have Discovery Family. I don't see any reason myself to differentiate between American and Australian airings, as I can't see either on TV...

Though I do like the fact that spoilers are handled differently – I can browse the forums just fine after the Australian airings, I could never have done that with the American airings (as I usually watch every episode a few hours late). :)

• Brohoof 4

6 minutes ago, Califorum said:

No not really, it's perfectly fine in my opinion. I never understood why people would want to wait and not go ahead and watch episodes online. 

It feels like it would be going against some "flow" or abstract "rule", and the whole thing about not wanting to see everything all at once. Almost like waiting for every week is neccesary or else you're just messing with some intangible thing.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Toastypk said:

It feels like it would be going against some "flow" or abstract "rule", and the whole thing about not wanting to see everything all at once. Almost like waiting for every week is neccesary or else you're just messing with some intangible thing.

It's most certainly not necessary, I go against the flow almost whenever possible. Nothing is wrong with it, nothing at all.

• Brohoof 2

Watching an early release isn't cheating in the slightest. Even though they're released earlier than in the U.S., they're still officially released under agreement with Hasbro. They're not leaks whatsoever.

If you want to watch an early release, you have every right to do so, and the same is said if you want to wait till they debut in the States. I personally watch them when released regardless of locale, but that's up to you.

• Brohoof 4

4 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Go ahead! Just don't go telling everyone what you saw without blocking it with the spoiler tag! Some people wanna watch it properly! ;)

Oh I deefinately watch the episodes properly.... but now that I found something that got me real anticipated, I have to make the execption. People putting episodes on youtube with thumbnails that spoil. can't be avoided almost. I just want to see this, and Season 8 Episode 21 so much.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Toastypk said:

Oh I deefinately watch the episodes properly.... but now that I found something that got me real anticipated, I have to make the execption. People putting episodes on youtube with thumbnails that spoil. can't be avoided almost. I just want to see this, and Season 8 Episode 21 so much.

Then next week Friday it'll be out in English! :3

• Brohoof 2

No, it's not cheating. I've said this a few times before. They aren't "leaked" or anything. They are on just different airing schedules and because of how this fandom and the internet works, there are people who will spoil it beforehand. About if you want to watch them before they actually release in the US, that is up to you and there is not anything we can do to influence you on that.

• Brohoof 6

Do whatever you want, brah. I'm not a fan of watching the early releases in other countries, since I prefer to discuss my thoughts on the new episodes based off my first impressions when they're fresh in the U.S. and need not to worry about spoilers. But I respect that anyone can watch things on whatever pace they want. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

It's up to you. If you want to see the episode out of US release order, that's fine. I grabbed an early episode, but didn't watch it yet. I got it early because sometimes the episodes are hard to get (I don't have discovery on my cable!) the day they're released.

• Brohoof 1

I’ve spent as much time watching the show when I lived outside the US as living in the US, so what is other countries release schedule even supposed to mean? It’s an official release either way. I just care that it’s in English, not only is that they only language I’m fluent in, but it’s the voice actors I’m familiar with, so it’s the maximum enjoyable experience. I do kinda want to dub an episode before it’s out in English just as a joke though. The accelerated schedule makes dealing with spoilers tricky, but it means I’ll get through the show before school is under way, which will be nice. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Toastypk said:

and the whole thing about not wanting to see everything all at once

if you watch other countries' releases, you still have to wait between episodes,it's not like thw whole season aired all at once in any country(not in my knowlege at least)

the show doesn't officially air in my country(i just checked, it stopped in season 7),and i'd prefer the english version even if it did, since i love the voice acting cast, but australia and america are the same to me,one is not more official than the other, so i just watch the earliest release i can find in english, the comunity is international so there are always people you can talk about the episode with once it's aiered somewhere officially.

Well MLP's production is in the USA and yet we are (possibility) the last country to see the episodes...where's the logic in that?

Edited by TBD

2 minutes ago, TBD said:

Well MLP's production is in the USA and yet we are (possibility) the last country to see the episodes...where's the logic in that?

DHX is a Canadian company, though, and the voice cast is also from there. Though Canada gets the episodes even later...

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

DHX is a Canadian company, though, and the voice cast is also from there. Though Canada gets the episodes even later...

But isn't Hasbro studio also produce mlp? Either way it's sucks that the country  that produce the show gets it aired last.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, TBD said:

But isn't Hasbro studio also produce mlp? Either way it's sucks that the country  that produce the show gets it aired last.

Yes, so it's essentially an American-Canadian co-production. I believe at least some of the writers early in the show's run worked for Hasbro (though a few episodes were based on ideas by people working at DHX). I'm not sure how it is these days...

• Brohoof 2

On 8/19/2018 at 2:19 AM, Kyoshi said:

Not the fault of you or anyone else that Hasbro has no damn clue how to properly air these things. Way I see it, if the episode is available early and can be watched, by all means you should watch it if you want.

Thanks to irregular releases on Boomerang TV in Australia, I'm set up to season 8, episode 20. I've only watched up to season 8 episode 11 though, so I'll be seeing them in the proper order.

^_^