Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is outside of our known universe?

Mesme Rize

Scientists, astrophysicians and other people who are interested in our universe have discussed this subject many times throughout the last few decades.

What lies beyond our known expanding universe. that has been expanding for the last 13.7 billion years?

Our universe is extremly big, we talk about (atleast) 92 billion lightyears. But what is beyond that? Just more universe? Nothing? A Multiverse with billions of other universes? Or something else entirely?

What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

I think there's a chance if you look at string theory that outside of the universe is a multiverse that houses an innumerable amount of other universes. One theory is that other universes colliding causes new universes to come into existence. That being said, we'll never know, especially since the universe is ever expanding. 

• Brohoof 4

There is a finite number of possible arrangements for all the particles in the universe. Perhaps, if one were to venture far enough, things would begin to repeat.

Outside of that, though? Nothing, until either the universe expands to include more space or another universe hypothetically crashes into ours, causing mixing and matching on a cosmic scale.

• Brohoof 2

Ah...finally someone asked this question.

I believe our universe is very vastly huge, far beyond sizes which we can comprehend, if I believe correctly someone did calculations on how big it would be based on the rate of expansion, it would be far larger than most have thought. We can only see to a certain point, it's foolish to think there is nothing beyond that. It's in my mind and nature to think there must be more out there. 

I also believe in the multiverse and other dimensions. If there is a void, that's something. What is nothing? It's nothing, a place of no matter, no thought, no dark/light, just nonexistence itself I think.

Edited by Califorum

From what I can think, more universes spread across the wideness of existence. There maybe universes with different rules than us, there may be different universes just like ours, there maybe something we can't even comprehend. I only know that whatever is beyond is far more beautiful than we can ever imagine.

• Brohoof 1

what if our dreams are actually our consiousness taken in a galaxy far far away and it's a place that exists beyond what we think is the known universe? maybe we unknowingly know what lies beyond

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Califorum said:

Ah...finally someone asked this question.

I believe our universe is very vastly huge, far beyond sizes which we can comprehend, if I believe correctly someone did calculations on how big it would be based on the rate of expansion, it would be far larger than most have thought. We can only see to a certain point, it's foolish to think there is nothing beyond that. It's in my mind and nature to think there must be more out there. 

I also believe in the multiverse and other dimensions. If there is a void, that's something. What is nothing? It's nothing, a place of no matter, no thought, no dark/light, just nonexistence itself I think.

Yeah, some scientists say 92 billion lightyears, but most agree that the universe is probably even bigger then that, since we can't see that far, even if the most technologically advanced telescopes.

I think the void is just something that we as humans can't comprehand in our thoughts, just like some other things that are mysterious to us. We come up with these terms of no light and dark, no matter and no gravitation, because we know these things.

We sometimes act like we know alot, but i think humanity only just scratched the surface of what is out there.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Mesme Rize said:

Yeah, some scientists say 92 billion lightyears, but most agree that the universe is probably even bigger then that, since we can't see that far, even if the most technologically advanced telescopes.

I think the void is just something that we as humans can't comprehand in our thoughts, just like some other things that are mysterious to us. We come up with these terms of no light and dark, no matter and no gravitation, because we know these things.

We sometimes act like we know alot, but i think humanity only just scratched the surface of what is out there.

Yes, that's right my friend. I like conversations and topics like these. I'm not saying 92 billion light years...though.

Watch this.

Spoiler

What I believe the void is, it's the concept of birth. What are you before you were born? Your mind? Your thoughts? All of that was not in existence yet, the void is not a human thing we humans can understand, it's beyond what we can understand. We humans think we are so high and mighty, but then we look at the cosmos, we are nothing compared to the grandness of it all. Every empire that has tried to conquer the world, has conquered nothing on this scale.

3 minutes ago, Califorum said:

Yes, that's right my friend. I like conversations and topics like these. I'm not saying 92 billion light years...though.

Watch this.

Reveal hidden contents

What I believe the void is, it's the concept of birth. What are you before you were born? Your mind? Your thoughts? All of that was not in existence yet, the void is not a human thing we humans can understand, it's beyond what we can understand. We humans think we are so high and mighty, but then we look at the cosmos, we are nothing compared to the grandness of it all. Every empire that has tried to conquer the world, has conquered nothing on this scale.

I actually saw that vid before. Like the vids this guy makes. :D

We use terms we know, because they comfort us. One of humanitys greatest fears is the unknown and things they don't know. That's why we strife for knowledge, so we don't have to fear the unknown anymore.

The greed for knowledge is one of humanities best traits.

• Brohoof 1

Outside of our observable universe is almost certainly a very simple answer: more universe. More galaxies. More stars. More planets. The most recent figure i am aware of suggests that, if the observable universe was the size of a quarter, then the entire universe is the size of Earth. 

There is no edge to the universe. It is not expanding into anything. It is just expanding. There are possibly many universes, or maybe just ours. If there are many, then anything that could exist really does exist. So in an alternate universe, you are identical, except you wear different color shoes. Or are the opposite sex. Or have a different job. 

If it is just our universe and it is infinite, then somewhere along the line you will find an exact copy of Earth, down to the smallest details. And then one slightly different. And so on.

If you could see far enough straight ahead, you would see the back of your own head.

Edited by Stone Cold Steve Tuna
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Mesme Rize said:

I actually saw that vid before. Like the vids this guy makes. :D

We use terms we know, because they comfort us. One of humanitys greatest fears is the unknown and things they don't know. That's why we strife for knowledge, so we don't have to fear the unknown anymore.

The greed for knowledge is one of humanities best traits.

It most certainly is. Now one thing I haven't said that was that time is also probably a factor in all of this. Time, what if other dimensions are right here right now but we cannot see them because they are on a different frequency of existence, like when you tune into a radio, you only really hear the frequency you select, not the others. Everything existing in one place, infinitely in all directions across existence itself. 

• Brohoof 1

Sadly, it's the type of question, which for next millenias won't have 100% sure answer. I would answer the question, but since I'm not sure about such *huge* topic, I'm leaving this topic with what I writed already.

Two things that science needs to rename are energy and expansion (particularly when it comes to space). When cosmologist discuss expansion, and the big bang, and acceleration of the universe, human imagined visuals get in the way of actually understanding what they mean. Don't think of an expanding universe as this ever growing bubble. That assumes there was a center. There wasn't.

Slightly slower than instaneous -- all the universe and matter came in to be everywhere in a hot dense soup of mass energy. Gravity proves that. The distance between constituent particles of mater started to increase, while the four great forces of our universe came into existence thanks to the quantum waves that all particles are theoretically bound to. 

The universe is infinite mathmatically, yet is expanding. Visible space is continuing to become less and less visible as mater is pulled away faster than light. Here is the curious thing, the word infinate is also misunderstood, some infinites are larger than others. Hard to wrap your head around? Not your fault. We actually require scale to even comprehend what we can mathmatically derive, because of the limits of our brain and how it processes information (not cosmological information). 

40 minutes ago, Califorum said:

It most certainly is. Now one thing I haven't said that was that time is also probably a factor in all of this. Time, what if other dimensions are right here right now but we cannot see them because they are on a different frequency of existence, like when you tune into a radio, you only really hear the frequency you select, not the others. Everything existing in one place, infinitely in all directions across existence itself. 

We now enter the field of quantum theory as defined by the Higgs Boson. I'm of the mind that the multiverse is an unanswerable thought experiment. If quantum tunneling can occur with a HB, we are sooooo screwed. 

• Brohoof 4

Clarification on my gravity comment since that requires a metaphor to understand. Imagine you are a god and exist for a moment outside reality, yet can choose to interact with it. This reality is literally an infinate void. Nothing exists. No matter. Just void. Now, you 'drop' one atom into the void. You just introduced instantaneous gravity stretching out for infinity in all directions. 

• Brohoof 3

From what I believe, more universes more than likely. I just don't see our universe being the only one that exists. Perhaps they are variants of our own universe? Or are they quite different than our own? Nobody knows the answer to either of those. But what I can say is that I feel it is irrational to believe there's just nothing there.

• Brohoof 2

I always tend to go with the obvious conclusion; like the song says, the universe is 'all inside a little jar' (surrounded by cartoony goodness). 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

I believe it's just empty space, the void containing nothing until our universe expands into it. 

I don't believe there are other universes though. Or at least the type of Universes proposed in the multiverse theory where every action creates another universe where we did the opposite. Tell me if I'm wrong in any way (or my knowledge is "Out of date" xD) but the whole idea of a universe being created cause I choose to go left instead of right just seems stupid. We're nothing to the universe so how could we have such a big influence on everything that we create a whole different Universe cause I choose to drive to work today instead of walk?

This is the kind of question I used to wake up in the middle of the night and ask my mom when I was little. Beside the obvious answer, more universe, do I think the universe is infinite? I don't know what to think. I would say no, but at the same time it is very difficult for us to comprehend what "nothing" really is.

Physicists of mlpf, correct me if I'm wrong, but if time moves faster the further away you are from mass and the universe isn't infinite, wouldn't that mean either a) time is instant at the border of the universe, meaning that it expands at infinite speed, meaning that it's all a paradox and the universe is indeed infinite or b) We should all scrap the concept of space and time and start thinking in spacetime, which would mean spacetime doesn't exist at the border of the universe or c) I'm an idiot?

Either way I think these questions won't be completely answered as we're using our own made-up laws to study the universe.

17 minutes ago, Jokuc said:

Physicists of mlpf, correct me if I'm wrong, but if time moves faster the further away you are from mass and the universe isn't infinite, wouldn't that mean either a) time is instant at the border of the universe, meaning that it expands at infinite speed, meaning that it's all a paradox and the universe is indeed infinite or b) We should all scrap the concept of space and time and start thinking in spacetime, which would mean spacetime doesn't exist at the border of the universe or c) I'm an idiot?

The universe is expanding at a constant rate faster than the speed of light, so we'll never know if there's anything outside it.

• Brohoof 1

I find this to be a question more of philosophy than physics.

I am neither convinced there is a multiverse, nor am I convinced the universe is infinite. What we do know, however, is that it's almost exactly "flat," and it's expanding from what was once a single point. That's pretty much it.

Edited by Admiral Regulus