Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The movie's rating on IMDB.

CastletonSnob

Honestly, I have no idea what IMDB is, but if it is one of those movie rating sites that does not accept negative opinions, then I don't care. If not, then I agree with them; I give the movie a 6.2 out of 10.

And is it just me, but were the pirates in the movie completely meaningless? Like, if they had never been introduced, I'm pretty sure the Mane 6 would have done just fine.

What IMDB thinks...

thumb.gif

No, I'm not trying to be nasty, I just really don't care and don't understand the cause for concern. I kind of already went over this in another topic, it's understandable to me why the movie's critical reception was mixed. Also taking account into the fact that critics have their biases, many fans agree that the movie was good, but could've been better. I like loads of movies that are poorly rated on sites like IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic/whatever because I acknowledge that reviews are just opinions that don't affect my own judgement.

• Brohoof 5

Don't listen to ratings from critics or IMDB scores. Make your own judgements about what you watch. Case in point. The Last Jedi has a 7.2/10 rating even though the movie was a failure for Disney and hated by most fans.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 5

I actually think that is a tad high, as I wouldn't give the movie anything higher than a 5. It had many problems in my view. The sea ponies being introduced, out of character moments, the animation being hit and miss for me, and the biggest bit, it actually didn't feel enough like the show it is based on. That could all just be personal preferences coming into effect, but that score isn't one I disagree with.

• Brohoof 3

I think in general it's fair. The movie and the show are mainly there to sell toys, and to a general audience...it kinda shows. The general feeling of it I get from the collective is that "it's fine, but my taste, there are better movies out there, but there are far worse."

• Brohoof 3

Hmmm... 6.2 does sound about right. I know that a lot of people feel that the MLP Movie is a fantastic film but it's far from perfect. In fact, I'd say the more times you watch it, the more likely you'll discover the flaws which will then affect your opinion.

• Brohoof 2

I would probably rank it higher than that myself, but it seems fair. Although I suggest taking that rating with a pinch of salt. One review doesn't account for every single person's overall opinion. 

• Brohoof 4

I guess my big problem on the movie is it felt like it existed to set up a lot of stuff. It had to expand the universe of the world to sell lots of toys so it didn't really have time to explore the stuff it established. Seaponies/Aris, Klugetown and the Sky Pirates all could've carried the movie on their own, but instead they were relatively glossed over. Personally, I loved the villain and all the characters it introduced (except for Grubber, but he got basically nothing to do) and especially loved the lore, locations and art style. I think a 7/10 is where I'd put the film, I thought it was a ton of fun, but flawed. 

That said, reading through the artbook, I realized the movie could've been a lot weirder, a lot more metal. I recommend the artbook if you haven't read it yet, gives some interesting insight on what could've been with scrapped locations and characters.

I would say the rate is quite fair.

The movie is fine, but there's some flaws that could be improved, yet is still an enjoyable film. Anyway, is just a very subjective number. Maybe for one person is a 10, and another one is just a 0. 

As much as I really enjoyed the film, it was far from perfect.  But then again, it was made for the MLP crowd, instead of a general audience (edit: or I should say many of the errors are because much of the film assumes you are a fan of the show; there are some serious flaws that are independent of how much you knew about MLP:FiM before you came into the theater).

Edited by Shadowfax
  • Brohoof 2

On 8/21/2018 at 6:19 PM, Twilight Luna said:

Don't listen to ratings from critics or IMDB scores.

I don't mean to be confrontational, but honestly, I think this mentality can be kinda a hindrance. People post their opinions on sites to be heard after all. I mean by all means form your own opinions on stuff but that doesn't mean critics should be ignored.

I personally liked TLJ btw, but then again, for non-kids movies I have pretty low standards. :P 

That's pretty much due to the lingering presence of anti-bronies and it's worth mentioning that the average audience rating on rotten tomatoes is 4/5 with 77% of the audience giving it a 3.5/5 or higher, so this narrative that the 'movie sucked' or 'was average', is very much untrue.

16 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

One reviewer on Rotten Tomatoes called The My Little Pony Movie as bad as The Emoji Movie. I mean, it was mediocre with a few OOC moments, but nowhere near that bad.

The thing with reviewers is that most of them would be biased. I rather take someone who has a credible opinion and possibly base my own opinion off of that. Going into something expecting to hate it will just make you hate it regardless.

• Brohoof 4

To me, the movie felt mediocre, they've done wonders with EG, however this movie felt flat, a blatant piece of advertisement, Villain was a cringier tirek rip off (His previous designs were much better imo.), plot felt cliche in many ways, many characters were completely irrelevant, however other than that it felt likeable?

I could see how bronies and non bronies alike could have seen the art style in the Movie to be hard to get used to and unlikable, i personally didn't have too much of an issue with it.

To be honest i feel like they were anticipating a fantastic work of film featuring heavy lore patching and fantastic, enjoyable moments, and the movie disappointed them.

• Brohoof 3