Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The movie's rating on IMDB.

CastletonSnob

On 8/21/2018 at 6:17 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

What IMDB thinks...

thumb.gif

No, I'm not trying to be nasty, I just really don't care and don't understand the cause for concern. I kind of already went over this in another topic, it's understandable to me why the movie's critical reception was mixed. Also taking account into the fact that critics have their biases, many fans agree that the movie was good, but could've been better. I like loads of movies that are poorly rated on sites like IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic/whatever because I acknowledge that reviews are just opinions that don't affect my own judgement.

To be fair, people often look at these sites to determine whether or not they should spend their money to see these movies. Yes, it does NOT give them the right to judge a movie prematurely, but I woudn't say that "nobody cares" because honestly, people, myself included, do take the time to research this stuff to determine whether or not to spend their hard-earned money to watch a certain flick. I applaud you for not letting others' opinions get in the way of your own enjoyment of the movie, but I'd think carefully about dismissing others' opinions of movies if I were you.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. I just see a lot of people getting defensive about the movie on this site and I just believe people should be more aware of their own biases before trashing others for having their own biases. Glass houses,  you know. :/ But who knows, maybe I'm just being a hypocrite and scolding others for having biases when I myself have my own.

Anyways, to answer the original question, unpopular opinion here, but I think it's a fair assessment. The movie was decent, but it kinda played it safe- maybe a little too safe- in "kid movie territory" and didn't really do anything exceptional. Probably just a case of "awesomeness withdrawal" as I've seen stuff like the S4 finale (which IMO probably would've made a better movie), so for a hyped-up big screen release the movie kinda felt tame.

• Brohoof 2

On 12/27/2018 at 12:02 PM, PacificGreen said:

To be fair, people often look at these sites to determine whether or not they should spend their money to see these movies. Yes, it does NOT give them the right to judge a movie prematurely, but I woudn't say that "nobody cares" because honestly, people, myself included, do take the time to research this stuff to determine whether or not to spend their hard-earned money to watch a certain flick. I applaud you for not letting others' opinions get in the way of your own enjoyment of the movie, but I'd think carefully about dismissing others' opinions of movies if I were you.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. I just see a lot of people getting defensive about the movie on this site and I just believe people should be more aware of their own biases before trashing others for having their own biases. Glass houses,  you know. :/ But who knows, maybe I'm just being a hypocrite and scolding others for having biases when I myself have my own.

Anyways, to answer the original question, unpopular opinion here, but I think it's a fair assessment. The movie was decent, but it kinda played it safe- maybe a little too safe- in "kid movie territory" and didn't really do anything exceptional. Probably just a case of "awesomeness withdrawal" as I've seen stuff like the S4 finale (which IMO probably would've made a better movie), so for a hyped-up big screen release the movie kinda felt tame.

I was not dismissing anyone's opinions about the movie or getting defensive about it. If you've seen my actual thoughts on the movie (which I referenced), you will know that I am actually very open to people disliking it and having issues with it. "Nobody cares what IMDB thinks" is just an aware statement, aware of how the way IMDB or any other reviewing website sees a movie should not affect anyone's personal judgement. 

• Brohoof 2

On 12/28/2018 at 6:54 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

I was not dismissing anyone's opinions about the movie or getting defensive about it. If you've seen my actual thoughts on the movie (which I referenced), you will know that I am actually very open to people disliking it and having issues with it. "Nobody cares what IMDB thinks" is just an aware statement, aware of how the way IMDB or any other reviewing website sees a movie should not affect anyone's personal judgement. 

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry if I came off as a touch confrontational. I guess I was a little emotionally riled up at the time. :/

While I've seen a lot of fans rightly point out obviously biased reviews, there are others that just arguably come off as butthurt bronies who are upset that people like Star Wars: The Last Jedi more than the movie. I agree that one's enjoyment of a movie should not be dependent on others' opinions, but at the same time people should try to see this issue from as many sides as possible.

• Brohoof 3

I liked the movie. As I've said elsewhere, it isn't exactly academy award material though. I think the rating is pretty much accurate. It's a movie spinoff to a children's TV show. Those never rank very high. Aside from that, we're already fairly certain season nine will wrap up the series, and there were never any plans for a second theatrical film. So in all reality...Why stress over a rating now?

• Brohoof 4

• 6 months later...

I think the score is fair, would have been better if they toned down the drama in the movie a bit, they did not handle it well. It also doesn't make a lot of sense continuity wise. I find myself disagreeing with critics and those ranking a lot(like the lion king 2019) but I agree with them on this one(score wise, did not really read or watched the reviews).

Honestly, a 6 is a fairer score to (subjectively) apply to the film, but, that being said, the lower IMDb score is actually more understandable if you consider the way the film was conceptualized and structured - reviewing Meghan McCarthy's work as both a writer and (mostly later) a story editor, I've felt for a while that her creative direction during seasons 3-5 increasingly evolved into a more 'impact-centric' style, where the more delicate narratives and characterization of the Faust seasons (Ponyville Confidential  in particular exemplifies a type of episode the show's crew couldn't or wouldn't have pulled off nearly as successfully during the McCarthy tenure) were gradually allocated to the creative backseat in favor of spectacle - relatively simply-conceived but increasingly grandiose and world-threatening villains (Sombra, Tirek, the Storm King, even pre-reformation Starlight Glimmer to an extent), big musical numbers about the power of friendship, dramatic climatic epiphanies and conflicts, ambitious (for a show of its nature) cinematography and storyboarding, powerful MacGuffins or transformations (Rainbow Power), celebrity voices (mainly confined to the movie, but anyone else recall the Miss America cameo during the Hub coronation event a while back?) and extremely high-stakes yet surprisingly simple (if you break them down even a little) main conflicts/stories (often without much of a personal stake for the main cast so much as they simply comprise an effort to save Equestria) - which ultimately led to the movie (where McCarthy and Thiessen were handed a budget with enough meat to amplify these traits from S3-5 to maximum level) coming off as somewhat thin and limply conceived beneath all the theatrical spectacle and upgraded animation, which I felt served as more of an antithesis to the show's original creative code under Faust (which (with exceptions) exerted surprisingly concentrated effort onto ensuring the story and characters were solid and handled in a logical and respectful way before any more peripheral decisions such as spectacle were directly considered, whilst the movie told a basic kids' adventure film plot and sidelined half the main cast to serve the film's basic themes, free up screentime for the celebrity voices and squeeze the storyline into the 85-minute runtime) than I suspect even McCarthy or Thiessen intended, which resultantly led to the film's public reputation becoming heavily propped up on the reaction to its spectacle - either you buy into it or you don't and I can fully understand why anyone with the latter opinion would fail the movie, considering that said theatrical flourishes are arguably the real focus of the film, as opposed to the plot or (with a few exceptions) the characters. While the current incarnation of the show arguably carries a somewhat tired air (courtesy of Josh Haber's elongated tenure), the movie's grandiosity personally enabled it to spark a slightly more noticeable impact than many recent episodes, which allowed me to admire some of the theatrics it threw out (the smoother flow of the animation and the cinematography/storyboarding in particular), albeit in no magnitude beyond than of a frivolously enjoyable popcorn flick, which is not bad per say, simply not a masterpiece and (arguably) semi-disappointing considering that the show has given us episodes of The Return of Harmony or The Cutie Map's calibre in past years (both of which exert a stronger focus onto character over shoehorning the Mane Six into yet another world-threatening crisis, which allows their appeal to extend into deeper and more compelling territory).  

It's an average family film that plays it pretty safe and got some modest reception. As a fan I loved it but it was never gonna be an oraward winner or take the world by storm or anything. I still remember delusional people here trying to hype themselves, expecting it to be some revolutionary masterpiece on par with Frozen's success

• 3 weeks later...