Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Courageous Thunder Dash

“What if we rewrite the stars…”

It was just another day in Ponyville. The sun was up, ponies were out and it was a perfect day to hang out with friends. On this particular day, Gilda decided to visit Rainbow Dash, who took Gilda down to Ponyville, despite Gilda’s weariness and the memories of her past lingering. When a couple ponies saw Gilda, they began to mumble to themselves. A few foals sort of hid behind their mothers. Gilda looked at them and then back at Dash. “Why...why are they hiding from me?” She asked. “They may still have the past in their mind. That’s the biggest issue with some ponies. It is hard for them to forget the past. But look at you now. You made the choice to make things right and take steps to make new friends…” Rainbow replied.

Meanwhile, Thunder Dash had landed in Ponyville after a patrol in the skies. As he walked, he noticed Rainbow Dash up ahead with a...griffon whom he’d never seen before. “Hm, now that you don’t see everyday in Ponyville…” Thunder said as he slowly walked towards Rainbow and the Griffon. Gilda happened to turn her heard and see the tall pegasus slowly walking towards them. She sort of stepped back and recoiled. “Don’t worry Gilda, that’s Thunder Dash. He’s a very nice pegasus. He may look tall and intimidating, but he was just born bigger than the average pegasus.” Rainbow explained. Gilda was still quite weary and remained shied away. “It’s ok...I’m not gonna hurt you…” Thunder said slowly approaching the griffon.

Gilda contemplated whether to suddenly act tough or stay hidden. “I-I’m sorry...i-it’s just…” Gilda started but stopped. “I know, but the past is gone. You’re here now. Rainbow’s helping you to become the friend you want to be. I can be part of that too if Rainbow wants.” Thunder said. “Wants? Of course you can!” Rainbow said happily with a jump and twirl in the air. Gilda sort of let out a small groan, as she would rather be with Rainbow, alone.

“So...wanna maybe go eat somewhere have have a little chat?” Thunder asked. “Uhh...I…” Gilda hesitated. “Say yes.” Rainbow whispered into Gilda’s ear. “Ok…” Gilda said with not much enthusiasm. “I know it’s hard Gilda, but I know you can overcome your past…” Thunder said as he took the lead making sure Gilda was next to him. Rainbow sort of trailed behind Gilda and Thunder to give them space. “So...what’s it like...living in Griffonstone?” Thunder asked. “Well...still trying to get the others to latch on to this whole...friendship thing...it’s just...so...hard…” Gilda stated putting her head down a little bit. “Hey that’s alright. I know how it feels to be the odd one out. What’s the name of that one Griffon...your absolute first Griffon friend?” Thunder asked. “Uhhh...I think...Greta was her name…” Gilda said. “How is she doing? Have you two been staying connected?” Thunder asked. “I...I say hi to her whenever I see her…” Gilda stated. “Well...at least you say hi...but you gotta do more than that to establish what is called a relationship.” Thunder said as he arrived at the cafe. He then opened the door for Gilda. “After you.” He said. Gilda hesitated. Rainbow came forward. “He’s being courteous to you by letting you go first.” Rainbow stated. “What am I supposed to do…?” Gilda asked Rainbow. “Thank him and proceed inside.” Rainbow answered. Gilda turned to Thunder. “Uh...thank you...Thunder…” Gilda said slowly walking inside. Thunder followed after Gilda. Rainbow was last.

Thunder led Gilda and Dash to a window seat. Rainbow sat next to Gilda, while Thunder sat from across the two. “So...what do you like to do?” Thunder asked. “I don’t know...just...hang around...and...sometimes fly around…” Gilda said. “This is awfully awkward…” She thought to herself. “Maybe...wanna go for a flight after we eat?” Thunder asked. Gilda sort of perked up smiling. “Hey! I think he’s onto something…” Rainbow said softly to Gilda. Gilda looked at Thunder blushing ever so lightly. Thunder hardly noticed but could see Gilda had a different expression on her face. The waiter came and the group ordered.

The food soon came. Thunder Dash thought to himself. “Could it be…? Already I’ve sparked something in Gilda? Like...no...it can’t be...I don’t know if she’s ready...or if...oh stop doubting yourself Thunder…” Gilda noticed Thunder’s expression. “Is...is something...wrong Th-Thunder?” She asked sort of hiding away a little. “No...nothing’s wrong…” Thunder said as he continued to eat. Rainbow finished her food first followed by Thunder and lastly Gilda. He then paid the waiter and waited for Gilda and Rainbow to be ready. “Well...I guess we’re ready…” Gilda stated as she waited for Thunder or Rainbow to take the lead. Thunder took the lead back outside and let Gilda and Rainbow go first. Gilda looked at Thunder and smiled. Thunder smiled back at Gilda.

Thunder then stopped down and took to the skies. Gilda followed after him with a little giggle. Thunder heard it. “I heard a cute giggle there…” He stated as he flew higher. Gilda blushed trying to keep steady. She was rather put off by the compliment, which caused her to become unsteady. “Wh-whoa…” Gilda muttered as she attempted to regain stability. All of this was rather overwhelming for her. Thunder turned and noticed. “Whoa there, let me help you.” Thunder said gently holding Gilda to help her regain balance. Gilda felt the urge to do something, feeling the warmth of Thunder’s fur against her. She gave him a quick muzzle with her beak. Rainbow was quite stunned at the small but bold move Gilda just did. “Did you just…?” Thunder asked with a small blush. “I...I did…” Gilda said hiding away again. “Awww don’t hide. It’s ok.” Thunder said. “I…n-no...it isn’t supposed to...be this way…” Gilda said, thoughts of the past and the stereotypical Griffon filling her mind. Thunder looked at Gilda. “Hey, no need to think like that...love has no boundaries. What if it is supposed to be this way...what if we can rewrite the stars...and start something even more…?” Thunder asked as he continued to fly again.

Gilda thought and thought. She slowly flew up to Thunder and stayed next to him. Thunder looked at Gilda and smiled up at her. Rainbow trailed behind looking at the two, smiling at the developing relationship. Thunder slowly felt himself getting closer and closer to Gilda, as if they were meant to be together. Gilda noticed and came close as well until they touched. The two looked at each other and blushed. “Anything is possible…” Thunder said gazing into Gilda’s eyes.

Thunder noticed a cloud up ahead. “Wanna take a little break?” He asked. “S-sure Thunder…” Gilda said thinking about the time she had spent already with Thunder and how much their relationship had already grown. Thunder gently landed on the cloud and so did Gilda. The two had sort of snuggled against each other. A Pegasus...and a Griffon, on a cloud. It had been stated that it is hard for two different species of creature to develop a relationship, let alone get along with each other. Gilda let out a soft whimper, for she knew that other griffons in griffonstone may ridicule and tease her because of how soft she had become. Thunder heard the whimper. “What’s wrong Gilda?” Thunder asked. “It’s just...I never knew our friendship would bring us this close...let alone we just met today...I just don’t want any Griffon to see me like this…” Gilda said shamefully. “Oh Gilda, don’t let those stereotypes get to you. Remember what I said? What if we can erase all that, start anew, make a new image…” Thunder stated. “I know I know...it’s just...hard…” Gilda said leaning up against Thunder.

After more snuggles, flying and dinner, the three went home. Gilda decided to let Rainbow stay in Griffonstone with her for the night. That night, Thunder was thinking hard.

You know I want you
It's not a secret I try to hide
I know you want me
So don't keep saying our hands are tied
You claim it's not in the cards
Fate is pulling you miles away
And out of reach from me
But you're here in my heart
So who can stop me if I decide
That you're my destiny?

Meanwhile, Gilda was thinking hard as well. It was a mental fight for her, as somewhere deep within her heart, now that she saw the truth, she yearned for something more than just a simple friendship. However, the thoughts of “Griffon pride” and “tough girl” still loomed in her head.

You think it's easy
You think I don't want to run to you
But there are mountains
And there are doors that we can't walk through
I know you're wondering why
Because we're able to be
Just you and me
Within these walls
But when we go outside
You're going to wake up and see that it was hopeless after all.

The next morning, Thunder woke up. He was thinking about Gilda and hoping she had a goodnight’s sleep. He got ready and headed on down to the main city of Ponyville. There, he saw Gilda and Rainbow together in the square. Thunder walked up to the two. “Morning Gilda, morning Rainbow.” He said. “Morning Thunder.” Gilda said with a bit of a smile on her face. “You’re looking happy today. Did you sleep well last night?” Thunder asked. “Aside from...thinking about our relationship...I slept well.” Gilda stated. Thunder then invited Gilda to breakfast. She accepted the invite and the three went to sugarcube corner. There, Gilda greeted Pinkie Pie and Mrs Cake, and proceeded to have pancakes with Thunder and Rainbow.

After, Rainbow had to go do some stuff, so she left Gilda and Thunder. “Well, it’s just you and I now. I think Rainbow has helped you very well. It’s now up to you...what do you wanna do?” Thunder asked. “Well...I could give you a tour of Griffonstone...but…” Gilda said. “Ah-ah-ah! What’d I tell you?” Thunder asked. Gilda let out a long sigh. “Then you pick…” She said putting her head down a little. “How about a tour of Cloudsdale plus the Wonderbolt training facility?” Thunder asked. “That sounds...interesting…” Gilda stated as she waited for Thunder to take the lead. Once they were in the sky, Gilda flew close to Thunder, wanting to be next to him. Thunder let Gilda be close to him. He smiled at this. The two then arrived at the weather factory and went through each room and corridor. After the tour, Thunder led Gilda to the Wonderbolt training facility. There, the obstacle course stood. “Hey, I bet you can’t beat the record time set on this course…” Thunder stated. A slow smirk formed on Gilda’s face. “Are you...challenging me?” She asked. “Maaaaybe…” Thunder teased with a chuckle. Gilda spread her wings and so did Thunder. The two gave each other competitive stares as they lined up at the start of the course. On Thunder’s signal, the two took off. Gilda got the lead early but Thunder was right behind her. “That record is mine Thunder!” Gilda teased with a cute giggle. “Don’t count on it Gilda!” Thunder said smiling as he slowly caught up. The two giggled and chuckled as they looped and zipped around the course before crossing the finish line side by side. Gilda and Thunder panted. “Well, guess we’d call that a tie…” Thunder stated as he gathered some electricity and made two towels appear. Gilda happened to see this and her jaw dropped. “H-h-how did you…?” She asked in shock. “My electric abilities. It’s a long story.” Thunder said as he handed one towel to Gilda. As the two were cooling off, Thunder told his story. “Wow...what are the odds…?” Gilda asked. “Pft, can’t even say. I mean a lighting strike so decide that it hits right in the spot on my body that pierces down all the way to my DNA.” Thunder stated.

Soon, it was lunch time. Thunder took Gilda to a cafe that served Griffon food in addition to pony food. Gilda still had those thoughts in her head. “I don’t get it...why me and not Rainbow?” Gilda asked. “There’s just something about you...now I remember Rainbow telling about the past and all...Rainbow was your only friend until…” Thunder stopped. “...she left…” Gilda said with a quiet sniffle. “I still see the hurt inside of you Gilda, but that’s ok. Everyone is not perfect...I don’t even know what happened to my mother…” Thunder said as he continued to eat his lunch. “Every Griffon I met was the same...greedy, always being mean...and...not wanting friends…” Gilda started choking up a bit on the last part. Thunder came in and hugged Gilda lightly. Gilda blushed and hugged back. “All of that can change. You don’t have to walk a certain way to represent who you are as a species…” Thunder said.

The two finished eating and the day went by. Rainbow soon reunited with Gilda and the two went back to Griffonstone. However, as Rainbow and Gilda were talking about the relationship with Thunder, some teenage griffons were eavesdropping the conversation. They laughed amongst themselves at the thought of griffons falling in love with other creatures, let alone falling in love all together. As Rainbow departed, Gilda could hear the teenage griffons chatting and teasing about the fact that Gilda was in a relationship and it was “not cool” and the “lovey-dovey stuff is for wussies”. Gilda sniffled and retreated to her bed where she just cried silently, until she fell asleep.

The next day, Thunder woke looking forward to seeing Gilda. However, when he arrived down in Ponyville, he saw neither Rainbow nor Gilda. Thunder grew worried. He searched for Rainbow but Gilda was most important. He hurried over to Griffonstone and saw Greta, whom he only saw once before. “Hi there, do you know where Gilda’s place is?” Thunder asked. Greta simply pointed towards a small Griffon house. “Great! Thanks!” Thunder said smiling at Greta. Greta simply smiled back and looked at Thunder as he galloped towards Gilda’s house. Inside, Gilda was sniffling. Thunder knocked. “N-no...go away…” Gilda said sniffling. “Gilda...it’s me...Thunder...what’s wrong?” Thunder asked feeling the ache in his heart. “I don’t wanna tell, now just...leave me alone!” Gilda whined louder, her “tough girl” side showing a little amongst her crying. “Please Gilda, I’m here to help. I came as fast as I could. I want to come in…” Thunder said. “Fine…” Gilda grumbled as she got up and unlocked the door. Thunder came in and saw Gilda, who appeared broken. He came close and hugged her, reminding her of the warmth they shared the first day they met. Gilda sniffled. Part of her wanted to resist the hug and revert to her previous mentality. However, a part of her yearned for more love amidst her circumstances. “It turns out some...stupid teenage griffons overheard rainbow and I talking about you and I together. They then teased about it and called their friends to heckle us as Rainbow was about to leave...there I was being the one bullied...for what? Having feelings for somepony like you…” Gilda said sniffling and beginnng to sob, hugging Thunder close.

Thunder sighed. “Gilda...a relationship isn’t easy, but the fight is worth it. Once I felt that warmth when we snuggled the first day...I knew it right then and there...the stars had already been rewritten…” Thunder said gathering some electricity. He then made his prized lightning necklace he got from flight camp appear from the blue. “Wh...what’s that?” Gilda asked. “It’s my flight camp necklace for best flyer of the camp...I...I want you to have it...because in life...taking flight to opportunities is a very hard thing to do...but...from what I’ve seen...you took flight...and earned yourself a new coltfriend.” Thunder proclaimed putting the necklace around Gilda’s neck. “Oh Thunder...” Gilda said as tears welled up in her eyes. She then lunged forward hugging Thunder tightly. “Th-thank you…” She said amidst her tears and sobs of joy. Just then, the door opened and Rainbow flew in. “You won’t believe what…” Rainbow then gasped at the sight. Thunder and Gilda were hugging each other lovingly, with Thunder’s necklace around Gilda’s neck. “I...I don’t believe it…” Rainbow said. Thunder and Gilda looked up at the dumbfounded Rainbow. “What? You do know that love has no boundaries...right?” Thunder asked. Gilda smiled at Rainbow. Rainbow smiled back. “I knew you could do it Gilda...take that flight, rewrite the stars and look at you now!” Rainbow said looping joyfully. “Hey you stole that from me!” Thunder teased. Rainbow let out a nervous giggle. “Sorry…” She said blushing. Both Gilda and Thunder giggled at Rainbow, who was blushing quite a bit. And it was on the course of those three days, that the message of boundless love was spread all throughout Equestria. No matter how different two people...or two creatures are, love has a place and love will truly...rewrite the stars and conquer all.

THE END

Author's Note: I wrote this fic for a competition on Equestria Amino. The challenge was to write a fanfic based on a song. I chose "Rewrite The Stars" from The Greatest Showman because it shows the conflict of two different creatures and/or people having feelings for each other. 

"Rewrite The Stars" belongs to Zac Efron and The Greatest Showman. 

Edited by C. Thunder Dash