Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Flat-Earthers?

heavens-champion

I just really can't believe that there are actual people that believe that the Earth would be flat. :yeahno: It all just seems like such a joke, until you realize that some of those people actually seem to be serious. Oh man.

I believe that the flat earth society is not about the earth being flat in particular, but about making you question things you take for granted, a way of making you research instead of accepting what you're told, by questioning something that's so obviously a fact, you also develop creative thinking that you can then apply to other, more reasonable debates
under this light, i can see why it would be appealing to people
as long as they don't start attacking people who don't believe in their theories and are civil about it(which should also apply to those who debate against them here) i don't see any problem with them

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

I believe that the flat earth society is not about the earth being flat in particular, but about making you question things you take for granted, a way of making you research instead of accepting what you're told, by questioning something that's so obviously a fact, you also develop creative thinking that you can then apply to other, more reasonable debates
as long as they don't start attacking people who don't believe in their theories and are civil about it(which should also apply to those who debate against them here) i don't see any problem with them

This is a valid point when it comes down to questioning things around us. The issue however is that what was started by, let's say theoretically, one person who had such idea in mind, it then spread across thousands who took it literally.

I say, rent them a few planes, give them a free hand to fly collateraly to equator in whichever direction they want in straight line and ask them to reach the edge of Earth before they reach the point they have started at.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

Actually, most of such Flat Earther do not do that type of research you are talking, but they are writing "flat earth proofs" on YouTube and they say they do research.

5 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

I’m sure that’s the case for some, but it is regrettably not the case for all.

i choose to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove to be just trolls, like anything else, it has many different people, some may be trolls some not, you can't just think everyone is the same, and bash them for it, it's kinda like those who think all anime fans are lolicon or all bronies are like the stereotypes, and having a thread made just to attack them seems kinda hatespeech to me, so i felt the need to defend their perspective

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, Lord Valtasar said:

i choose to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove to be just trolls, like anything else, it has many different people, some may be trolls some not, you can't just think everyone is the same, and bash them for it, it's kinda like those who think all anime fans are lolicon or all bronies are like the stereotypes, and having a thread made just to attack them seems kinda hatespeech to me, so i felt the need to defend their perspective

This isn't an attack. I was just curious about Flat Earther's motivations.

I (unfortunately) know some myself. Pretty much all of them are hillbillies from work that believe in all sorts of conspiracies they pick up from Facebook or Youtube videos. It ranges from your standard tinfoil hat beliefs (moon landing was fake, 9/11 was an inside job, Oswald didn't kill JFK, etc.) to some really stupid crap like Paul Walker's car being hit by a missile or Barack Obama being an actual space alien. I usually try to put on some headphones or leave the room whenever the subject comes up because I can feel my brain cells dying if I listen for too long.

I can tell you after enough times hearing it, I changed my mind about Eugenics.

Edited by zombienixon

On 8/26/2018 at 7:17 AM, Lord Valtasar said:

Calling out stupidity is absolutely incomparable to hate speech, don't try to equate the two.

• Brohoof 5

@Annie
yeah, because calling somepony's beliefs stupid is the thoughtful and polite thing to do, not hateful at all, i'm not even with them in this argument, i just think that not all of them actually believe in it, if you scroll up a bit ore you'll see my thoughts on it

10 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

@Annie
yeah, because calling somepony's beliefs stupid is the thoughtful and polite thing to do, not hateful at all, i'm not even with them in this argument, i just think that not all of them actually believe in it, if you scroll up a bit ore you'll see my thoughts on it

Calling out someone's beliefs and telling them exactly why their beliefs are flawed isn't hateful, in fact it's exactly what most of them want. Hate speech isn't a matter of "you believe this thing so I'm gonna say mean things to you", it's when people verbally abuse, harass, slander, or incite violence against others based on their race/ethnicity/nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or any other aspect of their lives they have little to no control over. One's clearly far more serious than the other.

Edited by Annie
  • Brohoof 5

On 8/24/2018 at 5:23 AM, heavens-champion said:

What makes Flat-Earthers believe that the Earth is flat?

Enjoy.

As for my opinion on the flat-earth theory, I don't even consider it.

Edited by EpicEnergy

On 8/25/2018 at 6:36 AM, Iam said:

Sadly, yes.

I think it's not worth to argue with Flat Earthers, because they are so convinced of flatness of Earth, they are so fanatic to this conception that you just can't make a flatearther change their opinion. It's not worth to waste energy on... (harsh, warning) waste.

For real, people with..... questionable understanding in the world are the biggest time wasters when attempting to argue with, and I know from experience, and not by flat earthers. Dealing with them is far easier, but doing so in this forum means the risk of getting into trouble, if not outright banned. So yeah, dealing with these people, according to a wise guy I follow in YouTube, is basically the snide, not taking them seriously, humor, mockery, etc; and I’m not feeling like getting banned 

1649712__safe_artist-colon-euphoriapony_

15 hours ago, Anneal said:

The Earth would actually be flat if you flew towards it at the speed of light. :mlp_icwudt:

Actually more like this:

Spoiler

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAyNS8wMzcvb3JpZ2luYWwvSHlwZXJkcml2ZS15ZXMuanBnPzEzNTgyNjkzMzc=

Take that flat-earthers

• 3 months later...

I never will understand why there are people who still believe in the 21th century that the earth is flat. There are enough facts that the earth is a sphere (or more correct a ellipsoid) and not a disc. It is for me always astonishing (not in the positive way) to see that people believe into things like for example that the sun wanders over the earth like a flashlight (my question to them: Why does the sun rise beyond the horizon when the earth is flat and the sun is a flashlight?). It is also always astonishing to see that these people say that the scientific facts are wrong but theirs facts are true but don't have any proofs for them or against the theories of the real scientists. I never saw or heared a proof from a flat earthler who makes sence to me. But actually, I never saw or heared a good proof from any conspiracist who makes sence. 

• 3 months later...

One time I tried watching a flat earth documentary, but I only made it half way through before it was practaclly unbearable to keep watching. People can believe what they like, but I'm dumbfounded at the fact that so many people seem to take it seriously.

• 1 month later...