Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm even more concerned about G5's diversity issue, here's why

Plonkett

Just today I came across a reveal video for an animated series by Crunchyroll called High Guardian Spice. Take a look.

This video promotes diversity in such a way that it feels like that they care more about how diverse the characters are than actual writing quality. They even brag about that half the staff are female and the entire writing team is all female.

With diversity being mentioned in the leaks for G5 makes me very nervous, that the show could be run by these types of people. Anyone else agree?

• Brohoof 7

In my honest opinion, if the new show is in any way some kind of feminazi propaganda, I will not be watching it. All I can hope is that they value overall quality more than affirmative action or anything like that.

• Brohoof 15

Thankfully, Hasbro is not Crunchyroll. :fluttershy: Shows like that are never big hits that sell anyways, so I highly doubt Hasbro would want to follow their example. Besides, the show has currently done a much better, more subtle job at the message of diversity with Season 8, so, as always, I'm not worried.

• Brohoof 6

23 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

Just today I came across a reveal video for an animated series by Crunchyroll called High Guardian Spice. Take a look.

This video promotes diversity in such a way that it feels like that they care more about how diverse the characters are than actual writing quality. They even brag about that half the staff are female and the entire writing team is all female.

With diversity being mentioned in the leaks for G5 makes me very nervous, that the show could be run by these types of people. Anyone else agree?

Ah, the ghostbusters reboot strategy, trying too hard asking for a pat on the back for doing what should just come naturally.

If anything what I fear most is that G5 could go back the other way to MLP's roots and target girls exclusively, losing the progressive take on female characters that made G4 so unique and more accessible to men in the first place.

• Brohoof 9

37 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

So... basically a "cute girls doing adventurous things". I didn't expect to like a "magical talking animals" show and here I am.

When a show is done with high standards and creativity freedom, liking the final product is only a matter of whether you like its style and premises or not.

There would be no shame in not liking G5 if it doesn't appeals you.

• Brohoof 3

I should create an animation studio and hire a LGBT black girl and someone's grandma from Puerto Rico. Then I can claim to run the most diverse studio in the world.

I don't know much about making cartoons, but with such a diverse team, I'm sure nothing could go wrong.

Edited by Admiral Regulus
  • Brohoof 8

Growing up with MLP, I couldn't care less whether it's will be targeting males, females or both.  But like what @TheTaZe said, any hints of feminized propaganda, Hasbro can kiss MLP goodbye.  

• Brohoof 7

For me personally, I don't give a care in the world about diversity, if I like it I watch it but I can guarantee you I will not be watching anything with feminist propaganda in it. Screw that. 

• Brohoof 6

26 minutes ago, shyabetes3939 said:

If MLP went all SJW/feminazi like that, Hasbro will have well and truly shot themselves in the foot. Many bronies, including me, would just say "Screw that" and G5 would flop.

In any event, even if G5 does flop, we'll still have G4! :kindness:

I'm really not even sure how you could do this without it getting kind of uncomfortable to watch. It would be hard to make an innocent kiddie cartoon talking about gender politics without the sexual aspect coming into play. And it would also require making equestria somewhat dystopian if they want to tell a longterm story about that sort of thing (or just do it as a oneshot friendship mission like Starlight's town). I'm OK if it comes up once in a while. Really all that would need to be done is for Zephyr to get a hoof to the head after hitting on Dash for the umpteenth time.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, this is part of the reason why I think the G5 rumors might actually be false.

First of all, the rumors sound just as if not more outlandish than an article made by "The Onion"

Second, the people who run Hasbro are not stupid enough to ruin the goldmine that is G4. They are smart enough to know the amount of backlash they'd receive.

Third, the only so called "evidence" (if you can even call it that) is some "emails" that anyone with half a braincell could fake. Seriously, someone could have the IQ of the ant that bit me the other day and still know how to create fake emails.

Could I be wrong? Maybe, but I find it unlikely. Honestly, 4Chan is ALWAYS pulling this crap. This isn't denial, I'm being skeptical because not everything you see on the Internet is true.

I should also show you a tweet from one of the writers.

If he was a writer, wouldn't he have at least a little insight on the show ending? 

Why is season 9 the only one CONFIRMED? I think they are still working on the 9th season and simply haven't began working on the 10th yet. They'll probably get to it later.

Here is a link to show you that this is a legit tweet. You can rest easy, my friends.

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight
  • Brohoof 1

I was also in panic, when I heard rumors of G5 coming up big steps, althought, now, after a chilling out (the whole 3 months!) I can say, that if you don't have good contacts with Hasbro or DHX, you won't do anything special except complaining. I, even with lost faith in humanity, believe, that some people (Hasbro/DHX) are smart/wise enough to not get pulled into leftist hideous brainwashing program at high rpm, if those leftist eventually offerted to brimbe those companies (I dunno why I wrtied this idea, but nothing is impossible).

6 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Ah, the ghostbusters reboot strategy, trying too hard asking for a pat on the back for doing what should just come naturally.

If anything what I fear most is that G5 could go back the other way to MLP's roots and target girls exclusively, losing the progressive take on female characters that made G4 so unique and more accessible to men in the first place.

Have you even watched g1? If you had, you most certainly wouldn't be saying that it targeted girls exclusively and lacked progressive female characters

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it really is a big deal to claim diversity as an aspect of the show when that's what lots of people are asking for; from a business standpoint, with that much of a political climate and popularity, it would be foolish not to bank on it. What will destroy these shows is whether or not they actually DO have a solid story and not just, "Here! Look! A character who isn't a white male! Like it????"

Steven Universe is a fantastic example of an inclusive, diverse show with feminist ideals. It CAN be done. However I highly doubt Hasbro would ever get more political than the whole Friendship School arch that's literally about immigration and racism

The G5 rumors I also think are false, though. I mean... from what the supposed emails talked about, it sounds WAYYYY too complex for a show designed for children 8 and up and I have a hard time believing it will even include the characters from G4 since that would completely confuse the generations :/ 

In regards to the show you found on Crunchyroll, I hold it with the same regard I do with everything new I encounter: I don't hold an opinion until I actually watch it for myself lol Dissing something because it COULD be what you don't want it to be is a good way to potentially miss out on something that might also be worth it :3

Then again... these are cartoons lol not really the most important things xD

• Brohoof 5

I want G5 to draw some monster references from Dungeons and Dragons adding more creatures like Mind flayers, Nymphs/Dryads, Harpies, etc. Maybe have an alignment system so the Mane 6 can fall into different alignments to give some greater conflicts to compromise solutions rather than walk lock and step together.

I wouldn't panic either. Hasbro likes making money and completely shutting off several demographics G4 attracted by making an inclusive setting, will just lose them money. 

Personally, I'm just gonna wait and see if I like G5 after it comes out rather than getting swept in any vague rumor that pops out. 

When little girls don't want to buy toys of chubby elves but you're too woke to care for profit. Such MLP generation would destroy itself pretty quickly. All hail the free market!

15 hours ago, Califorum said:

For me personally, I don't give a care in the world about diversity, if I like it I watch it but I can guarantee you I will not be watching anything with feminist propaganda in it. Screw that. 

Im with you on that too. I like Pokemon is cool Exciting and fun and the stories is what made the show not the diversity the charecters.

this Diverse Crap is Going to far, Wah everything offends me, take down statues, gay prades in every province each month every summer. must teach tots Gender choices throw away moral teaching who needs that anyway. lets reward lazy and punish people who choose to work hard, wha you offended my religon, way your white skin color offends me Apoligise for being white. im an Illegal Immigrant, i demand you give me everything. i demand we ban guns, however demand to right to abort my baby..  wha wha Wha... etc on and on...

AARGH

is it me or the Immoral, Lazy, and Criminals are trying to overpopulate and dominate,.

diversity is one thing, however to be drowned and having it shoved in your face demanding people support and respect it is going too far.

we are suppose to move forward in the future, not go back to the Stone Age.

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Lucid_Nightlight said:

Personally, this is part of the reason why I think the G5 rumors might actually be false.

First of all, the rumors sound just as if not more outlandish than an article made by "The Onion"

Second, the people who run Hasbro are not stupid enough to ruin the goldmine that is G4. They are smart enough to know the amount of backlash they'd receive.

Third, the only so called "evidence" (if you can even call it that) is some "emails" that anyone with half a braincell could fake. Seriously, someone could have the IQ of the ant that bit me the other day and still know how to create fake emails.

Could I be wrong? Maybe, but I find it unlikely. Honestly, 4Chan is ALWAYS pulling this crap. This isn't denial, I'm being skeptical because not everything you see on the Internet is true.

I should also show you a tweet from one of the writers.

If he was a writer, wouldn't he have at least a little insight on the show ending? 

Why is season 9 the only one CONFIRMED? I think they are still working on the 9th season and simply haven't began working on the 10th yet. They'll probably get to it later.

Here is a link to show you that this is a legit tweet. You can rest easy, my friends.

As someone who did watch the leaks, I wouldn’t dismiss them so fast, specially considering there where stuff about S8, EG, and a Christmas special, which, BTW, they all have been prophetic so far :fluttershy:. Denying them on basis of them being possibly brainstorming, and the final product would be much different is a far more sensible approach :darling:

20 hours ago, vgmaster9 said:

The art style is rather appealing, I’ll give them that. However, what we know so far smells like it’s gonna flop real good. It obviously gives far more importance on the physical diversity  of the characters (which, HELLOOOOO, FIM, and other shows before already beat you with it, but in personality :orly:), and the totally not discriminatory fact that the writhing team is women only :darling:

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

As someone who did watch the leaks, I wouldn’t dismiss them so fast, specially considering there where stuff about S8, EG, and a Christmas special, which, BTW, they all have been prophetic so far :fluttershy:. Denying them on basis of them being possibly brainstorming, and the final product would be much different is a far more sensible approach :darling:

Idk, anyone could take some real leaks they found and then use them with some fake leaks to get a rise out of any fandom or community. People on 4Chan pull this stunt all the time. Honestly, I could do the exact same thing in my sleep. If the rumors made any logical sense, I'd believe them a little more, but as I said before, this sounds like something The Onion would write. (I know The Onion has no part in this, but this stuff is on their level.)

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight