Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm even more concerned about G5's diversity issue, here's why

Plonkett

On 9/1/2018 at 1:31 PM, Sun Wukong said:

I've always found the concern about gen5 having a "diversity issue" to be silly at best. I mean, is there even anything in the supposedly leaked emails that even support that notion? 

Also, a bit off topic but whatever. I don't feel like it's fair to instantly dismiss chrunchyrolls new show as feminazi propaganda. I mean, the promo talks more about it being classical 2d animation than diversity. At least have the decency to give it a chance before getting so triggered. 

Actually, yes, there is an email discussing the possibility that one of the main characters should be more of an urban black girl. 

And also, I actually think it’s fair to at least raise red flags against High Guardian Spice. If you see the trailer, instead of selling the setting, the world, or the characters; they instead sell their “diversity”, as in SJW diversity of body type, gender, or ethnicity; and staff, which is funny because they start with 50% men/women, but then they all go with women exclusive writers team. Oh, and one of the writers, is a proven feminazi, as screencaps of her tweets can attest, and she worked on a failed series with Marvel. So yeah, said concerns are actually well founded   >_>

Edited by Steve Piranha

12 minutes ago, A.V. said:

High Guardian Spice's great visuals only make its fail promotion that much sadder. :awed:

Right. While HGS’s art style isn’t revolutionary, is still good in the eyes. Too bad it’ll be a case of a cute box only to find out you’ve been scammed once you look inside :sunny:

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Actually, yes, there is an email discussing the possibility that one of the main characters should be more of an urban black girl. 

And also, I actually think it’s fair to at least raise red flags against High Guardian Spice. If you see the trailer, instead of selling the setting, the world, or the characters; they instead sell their “diversity”, as in SJW diversity of body type, gender, or ethnicity; and staff, which is funny because they start with 50% men/women, but then they all go with women exclusive writers team. Oh, and one of the writers, is a proven feminazi, as screencaps of her tweets can attest, and she worked on a failed series with Marvel. So yeah, said concerns are actually well founded   >_>

Yeah... I've found it interesting how suddenly "diversity" and "exclusion" are suddenly starting to have the same meaning... as long as those being excluded are members of a historically privileged majority.

7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

No. They say that they want a voice actor who happens to be black  for Applejack. True, they also want said character to be "a bit more urban" but there's plenty of reason why that'd be the case that have nothing to do with diveresty. For example, Applejack isn't excatly the most popular character and maybe the writers think it's because she'd too country. 

8 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

If you see the trailer, instead of selling the setting, the world, or the characters; they instead sell their “diversity”, as in SJW diversity of body type, gender, or ethnicity; 

As I said, the promo I watched talked more about it being classical 2d animation than it did about diversety.

which is funny because they start with 50% men/women, but then they all go with women exclusive writers team. 

And you're point is? The reason they describe their writers team as diverse despite only consisting of only women is because they think women aren't represented enough in the industry. 

Oh, and one of the writers, is a proven feminazi, as screencaps of her tweets can attest, and she worked on a failed series with Marvel. 

But she isn't the only writer.

Besides, good work can still be made by bad people. Mel Gibson made some anti-semitic comments but his movies are still half decent. 

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Sun Wukong said:

No. They say that they want a voice actor who happens to be black  for Applejack. True, they also want said character to be "a bit more urban" but there's plenty of reason why that'd be the case that have nothing to do with diveresty. For example, Applejack isn't excatly the most popular character and maybe the writers think it's because she'd too country.

Unfortunately, "southern country" isn't exactly popular now. Particularly in America in the past couple of years, because, "reasons," the image of those kind of people has been tainted by the "white supremacist neo-nazi dreaming of a Civil-War-Rematch" stereotype for the forseeable future. The show even played with it a bit by showing the Apples as a stereotypical NRA-style survivalist group in the Starlight Glimmer alternate timeline.

There's also the problem that the idea of the farm life is just so rapidly vanishing. It already was at the time of the series launch, but it's ever becoming more and more prevalent. Farming is now completely industrialized, and "mom and pop" farms will ultimately die. AJ represents a version of the American dream that simply doesn't exist anymore. I wish that weren't the case, and I don't want her destroyed by this; in a place like Equestria these problems don't exist. But I can easily understand why this is happening.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

4 hours ago, Sun Wukong said:

But why one of the priorities for the G5 AJ must be being voice by an African-American actress? Can’t it’s just be they need a more urban girl and pick whoever kicks ass in the audition like any other serious work?

As I said, the promo I watched talked more about it being classical 2d animation than it did about diversety.

But it’s obvious what’s really their selling point

And you're point is? The reason they describe their writers team as diverse despite only consisting of only women is because they think women aren't represented enough in the industry. .. 

Again with their  representation nonsense instead of hiring people by merits  :dry:

But she isn't the only writer.. 

So? If she’s there presenting the “trailer”, that means she’s one of the people who’s calling the shots

Besides, good work can still be made by bad people. Mel Gibson made some anti-semitic comments but his movies are still half decent. 

This is not about the creator being a douche or not, this is about a work already being ruined because it’s another case of SJWs writing a shitty story because their priorities lies in pushing their agenda instead of telling a story in the first place. We’ve seen tons of times in commercial and fan works, it won’t be different here. Besides, Kate Leth already has a track-record that speaks for itself 

4 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Unfortunately, "southern country" isn't exactly popular now. Particularly in America in the past couple of years, because, "reasons," the image of those kind of people has been tainted by the "white supremacist neo-nazi dreaming of a Civil-War-Rematch" stereotype for the forseeable future. The show even played with it a bit by showing the Apples as a stereotypical NRA-style survivalist group in the Starlight Glimmer alternate timeline.

There's also the problem that the idea of the farm life is just so rapidly vanishing. It already was at the time of the series launch, but it's ever becoming more and more prevalent. Farming is now completely industrialized, and "mom and pop" farms will ultimately die. AJ represents a version of the American dream that simply doesn't exist anymore. I wish that weren't the case, and I don't want her destroyed by this; in a place like Equestria these problems don't exist. But I can easily understand why this is happening.

It’d like to think it’s only because farm life is banishing, and not necessarily because it’s seen as another white supremacy activity. But yeah, AJ’s biggest flaw would be her not getting out of farm life at all. 

Diversity where? I just saw a bunch of white women talking about what they think audiences want and shock of all shocks they're wrong. I can't believe they're still pushing this "all women" garbage even after the failures of Ghostbusters(2016) and Ocean 8.

5 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Yeah... I've found it interesting how suddenly "diversity" and "exclusion" are suddenly starting to have the same meaning... as long as those being excluded are members of a historically privileged majority.

Not just straight white men, LGBT men and coloured men weren't allowed to be writers on the show either because dIvERsITY.

And you're point is? The reason they describe their writers team as diverse despite only consisting of only women is because they think women aren't represented enough in the industry. 

A writers cast consisting of mostly white women isn't diverse and that's the point. These people are complaining about the lack of exclusion for women but they're perfectly fine with cutting out men even those from miniorites.

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

But why one of the priorities for the G5 AJ must be being voice by an African-American actress? Can’t it’s just be they need a more urban girl and pick whoever kicks ass in the audition like any other serious work?

Does that strike anyone else as being a bit bigoted and stereotyping? Towards both the current actress and the future one? Like... "Yeah, we want our southern country girl to be more metropolitan, so we're dumping the white girl and getting a black one."

That was something I didn't realize they were doing. But I'm cool with it if that's as far as it goes. But if they're going to bring something like... say... Ebonics into the show? That's going to be weird. Not because there's anything wrong with Ebonics, but it exists in our world because of things that I absolutely CANNOT imagine having happened in Equestria.

Now this has me wondering what the race demographics for viewership are like. Has MLP struggled getting black viewers because their culture isn't represented enough, resulting in kids having trouble relating to the characters? I'm talking specifically African-Americans, not Africans in general.

12 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Can't they just keep her Southern accent?

37 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

While I'll admit I expressed myself poorly, what I meant was that they picked a specific voice actress who so happened to be black. Not that they specifically wanted a black voice actress. 

40 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

But it’s obvious what’s really their selling point

Yep. 2d animation. 

41 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Again with their  representation nonsense instead of hiring people by merits  :dry:

They still hired people by merits. I mean, it's not like they handed the job to every woman who walked into the door. 

44 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

So? If she’s there presenting the “trailer”, that means she’s one of the people who’s calling the shots

Yeah, but there are others who might be able to keep her in line. This is, of course, assuming that she hasn't learned from her mistakes. 

58 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

This is not about the creator being a douche or not,

Then why was the behavior of one of the writers on twitter relevant?

On 9/4/2018 at 2:15 PM, Steve Piranha said:

this is about a work already being ruined because it’s another case of SJWs writing a shitty story because their priorities lies in pushing their agenda instead of telling a story in the first place.

Unless you're able to see into the future, this argument is complete hogwash. We know next to nothing about the story yet, so how can you already tell that it's being ignored in favor of "pushing their agenda"? 

And before you argue that "they talked more about diversity than the story so it's obvious where the focus lies", did it ever cross your mind that perhaps they're saving talking about the story until they release a, you know, actual fucking trailer instead of a minute and a half long promo?

On 9/4/2018 at 2:29 PM, RulesofRarity said:

A writers cast consisting of mostly white women isn't diverse and that's the point.

Not by itself, but the reason it's described as diverse is that it brings some diversity to the industry as a whole. It's the reason black panther was called a "diverse film" despite mostly consisting of black actors. 

• Brohoof 1

I guess the only real red flag for Guardian Spice is Kate Leth, the infamous Twitter person who used to work on the Helicat. The others though I don't think I can recognize them from somewhere else.

There is a rumour that Crunchyroll did what they did on purpose, there is no way the show is anything but original.

Edited by R.D.Dash

5 hours ago, Sun Wukong said:

While I'll admit I expressed myself poorly, what I meant was that they picked a specific voice actress who so happened to be black. Not that they specifically wanted a black voice actress. 

It's not a matter of expressing poorly or not, it's about a well founded concern because it's from an email found in the leaks discussing that AJ must be voiced (yeah, that's right, MUST) by an African-American VA, when such thing should be picked by voice type, and talent. I've read the mail itself, FROM the source, not a random YouTube video or something. 

Yep. 2d animation. 

The video made it sound like as an after thought tho

They still hired people by merits. I mean, it's not like they handed the job to every woman who walked into the door. 

Yeah, but why it's so important to have the whole writing staff be women-only and push away other potential talent?

Yeah, but there are others who might be able to keep her in line. This is, of course, assuming that she hasn't learned from her mistakes. 

We have a feminazi, and a writing staff they've wanted to be women-only. Strike one here

Then why was the behavior of one of the writers on twitter relevant?

Because of her hateful ideas, and how common for SJWs to prioritize those over telling a good story, and making good characters 

Unless you're able to see into the future, this argument is complete hogwash. We know next to nothing about the story yet, so how can you already tell that it's being ignored in favor of "pushing their agenda"? 

They've used the superficial diversity, and a writing team 100% women as their selling point, Kate Leth has a strike as a writer  with a mediocre series of Marvel comics that was cancelled, and like I've mentioned, SJW stories lean to mediocre. Well, any hateful story, regardless of SJW or not, are bad. Right Conversion Bureau  :dash:? Strike two 

And before you argue that "they talked more about diversity than the story so it's obvious where the focus lies", did it ever cross your mind that perhaps they're saving talking about the story until they release a, you know, actual fucking trailer instead of a minute and a half long promo?

Why didn't they speak a little bit about what the world they are building or some other in-universe relevant thing instead  :huh:?

Besides, there's an additional problem with it. Crunchyrol didn't even bother to use the money subscribers paid for, to improve their streaming service, they instead spent it in a show with obviously questionable ideas.  Strike three for them

Edited by Steve Piranha

Yeah, High guardian spice looks like shit. But perhaps we should wait and actually see the show before getting triggered over the "feminazi propaganda" it maybe is. 

55 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

It's not a matter of expressing poorly or not, it's about a well founded concern because it's from an email found in the leaks discussing that AJ must be voiced (yeah, that's right, MUST) by an African-American VA,

Interesting. I've not found any mention of such a email nor the email itself. Can you give me your source?

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Gestum said:

Yeah, High guardian spice looks like shit. But perhaps we should wait and actually see the show before getting triggered over the "feminazi propaganda" it maybe is. 

Interesting. I've not found any mention of such a email nor the email itself. Can you give me your source?

Like I’ve mentioned, I’ve seen it from Yandisk or something like that. Sadly, all the leaked content was taken down from there, and I have no idea where else it can be found..... not to mention direct links to the leaks are forbidden around here    :-D

Edited by Steve Piranha

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

Like I’ve mentioned, I’ve seen it from Yandisk or something like that. Sadly, all the leaked content was taken down from there, and I have no idea where else it can be found..... not to mention direct links to the leaks are forbidden around here    :-D

I've want to believe you. However this is literary the first time I've head of this and this is something that would have been mentioned before and you have no evidence. So I'm going to be sceptical.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Gestum said:

I've want to believe you. However this is literary the first time I've head of this and this is something that would have been mentioned before and you have no evidence. So I'm going to be sceptical.

Pretty understandable, but I’m surprised this is the first time you heard of it considering it was THE talk at the end of last year everywhere in the fandom :huh:. Anyway, it’d be good to ask around, you may be lucky and get where you can find the leaks now   :mlp_wink:

49 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Pretty understandable, but I’m surprised this is the first time you heard of it considering it was THE talk at the end of last year everywhere in the fandom :huh:. Anyway, it’d be good to ask around, you may be lucky and get where you can find the leaks now   :mlp_wink:

The leaks I've seen aren't really proof in my opinion due to where these leaks came from. Unless Hasbro says otherwise, I'm just gonna keep saying it's just 4Chan being 4Chan.

16 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

It's not a matter of expressing poorly or not, it's about a well founded concern because it's from an email found in the leaks discussing that AJ must be voiced (yeah, that's right, MUST) by an African-American VA, when such thing should be picked by voice type, and talent. I've read the mail itself, FROM the source, not a random YouTube video or something. 

I spent an hour or so digging around, and I was unable to find a screenshot of said email. In fact, I couldn't even find anybody mentioning said email. So I'm gonna take this with a huge grain of salt. 

16 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Because of her hateful ideas, and how common for SJWs to prioritize those over telling a good story, and making good characters 

Or you could, you know, give her a chance before assuming she's gonna o? 

And yes, she might have created a mediocre comic for marvel that ended up canceled, but can we at least have the decently to acknowledge that she could have learned from her mistakes?

Also, I still don't see how her behavior on twitter is relevant to the quality of the show. 

17 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Why didn't they speak a little bit about what the world they are building or some other in-universe relevant thing instead  :huh:?

Well, considering that the promo seems to be focused on the production as a whole, maybe they're saving all the story stuff for an actual trailer. 

17 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Besides, there's an additional problem with it. Crunchyrol didn't even bother to use the money subscribers paid for, to improve their streaming service, they instead spent it in a show with obviously questionable ideas. 

While I agree that it was a bad decision to fund a new show over fixing their site, that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of said show and is as such irrelevant to this discussion.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Sun Wukong said:

I spent an hour or so digging around, and I was unable to find a screenshot of said email. In fact, I couldn't even find anybody mentioning said email. So I'm gonna take this with a huge grain of salt. 

Unsurprising, considering most horse sites, even ponychan, strongly enforce a ban towards any content found in the leaks, and that includes links. You have to do an extra mile or two if you wanna find wherever the leaks can be found now. I think it’s easier to find a shining feebas with a pokerus at this point :dash:

Or you could, you know, give her a chance before assuming she's gonna o? 

And yes, she might have created a mediocre comic for marvel that ended up canceled, but can we at least have the decently to acknowledge that she could have learned from her mistakes?

Judging by the importance they gave with the “diversity”, and a writing team tailored to be women-only, doesn’t inspire faith to me

While I agree that it was a bad decision to fund a new show over fixing their site, that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of said show and is as such irrelevant to this discussion.

Cheating your customers isn’t good for business >_>

I fucking swear the word “diversity“ has become the new Boogeyman.

It’s perfectly okay to make a diverse cast. FIM has a diverse cast, Power Rangers has a diverse cast, Recess has a diverse cast. Just focus on making them fun an engaging characters, and they’ll be fine 

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, This Whomps said:

I fucking swear the word “diversity“ has become the new Boogeyman.

It’s perfectly okay to make a diverse cast. FIM has a diverse cast, Power Rangers has a diverse cast, Recess has a diverse cast. Just focus on making them fun an engaging characters, and they’ll be fine 

Unfortunately the very first legendary time this was used as a key marketing strategy ended up proving to almost literally be a coverup for a lackluster product. In other words, "Don't worry about it being good or not, just watch it because, diversity." Basically an alternate way of using a trailer to hit you so hard and fast that you don't even realize what happened. Really, it's kind manipulative, especially in an age where it's ILLEGAL to not have diversity in your company.

5 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Cheating your customers isn’t good for business >_>

It is, if 95% of your customers aren't smart enough to know they're being cheated. And that is USUALLY the case.

21 hours ago, Lucid_Nightlight said:

The leaks I've seen aren't really proof in my opinion due to where these leaks came from. Unless Hasbro says otherwise, I'm just gonna keep saying it's just 4Chan being 4Chan.

4chan being largely responsible for thrusting MLP into the limelight in the first place is... now trying to tear it down???

Good story and characters are what make a show good. That's all that really matters in the end. It doesn't matter how it's made. 

That said, I support a female-majority development team. Sad how so many people are getting triggered by a show promoting a diverse team, or a team that's majority female. The reason they're making a huge point about it being majority-woman development team is because that's not a common thing in animation. "Feminazi." That's such a cringe term.

Edited by starrymiss
  • Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

4chan being largely responsible for thrusting MLP into the limelight in the first place is... now trying to tear it down???

Not trying to tear it does, just trying to mess with us to get a quick chuckle. It's basically their thing. 4Chan users don't like bronies, even though they are why we are here.

I will tell you this, attempting to find the logic behind what 4Chan does will only drive you insane. 4Chan is so chaotic, I could even say that it's Discord (the character, not the app) on steroids. There is no logic with them.

• Brohoof 1