Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sunsets home life

Sunlight Glisten

So in forgotten friendship we see sunsets bachelor pad. It's big and she has a lot of stuff.

What does she do to get money? You'd think they'd mention a job if she worked, and what job could a high schooler possibly do to afford that large of a place while still going to school

I'm sure it's been brought up before but what happened to or where is human sunset? 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, A.V. said:

Regarding Pony Sunset's money, she might've had a few Bits on her when she first arrived; those could be valuable AF in the EQG world.

Gold coins bro

She might have gotten help from the other Rainbooms or maybe Principal Celestia decided to do something. Perhaps one of these days they may decide to reveal how Sunset was able to get her own place.

The prevailing hypothesis is that she brought something with her which proved more valuable in the human world. There's not much evidence for this in the series, but it makes sense. She just works at a sushi bar, from what we've seen, and I doubt that pays well enough for her home. 

We may never see the human Sunset, but I continue to believe that she just happens to exist in some other city, perhaps on the other side of the planet - if CHS is in the equivalent of Canada or the USA, human Sunset could be in the equivalent of Australia. 

• Brohoof 1

I am with everyone here and accepted the fanon that Sunset brought bits with her to the human world and was able to get a lot of money out of coins made from real gold being really valuable.

Edited by cmarston1

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 6:52 PM, Sunlight Glisten said:

So in forgotten friendship we see sunsets bachelor pad. It's big and she has a lot of stuff.

What does she do to get money? You'd think they'd mention a job if she worked, and what job could a high schooler possibly do to afford that large of a place while still going to school

I'm sure it's been brought up before but what happened to or where is human sunset? 

Not to mention that when she arrived in the human world, she would have been too young to work... Unless this home is a recent acquisition of her's.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:13 PM, Twilight Luna said:

Nothing is ever explained (of course). There is a short showing Sunset working at a sushi bar.

Not to mention that their human world most likely also has the gender wage gap, thus she is probably paid just at or below minimum wage. She obviously has quite a bit of money stored up. Maybe it's buried somewhere... *Grabs shovel* :P

1 hour ago, SageofSong said:

Not to mention that their human world most likely also has the gender wage gap, thus she is probably paid just at or below minimum wage. She obviously has quite a bit of money stored up. Maybe it's buried somewhere... *Grabs shovel* :P

Gems I would guess. Equestria seems to be a world where you can literally kick a wall and have precut gems fall out - diamonds, emeralds, rubies...  As prices for gems in the human world are deliberately artificially high, I am guessing a saddlebag full of them would give Sunset a significant bank balance assuming she could find buyers that don't ask too many questions...

• Brohoof 2

There of course is also the possibility that the EqG world is a matriarchy, as Equestria seems to be - in which case, the gender gap and glass ceiling may apply in the reverse from our own world.

7 hours ago, Cypherhoof said:

There of course is also the possibility that the EqG world is a matriarchy, as Equestria seems to be - in which case, the gender gap and glass ceiling may apply in the reverse from our own world.

I doubt the sushi job pays very well in either case. 

It's a dark theory, but what if her friends forgave her for EVERYTHING? When Sunset arrived in the human world, she stepped into that world's Sunset's life. She had money from a trust fund. She had a great rent controlled apartment. The nearby highway was working on a new exit ramp. Wet concrete. The original Sunset joined Jimmy Hoffa. 

On 10/8/2018 at 6:56 PM, cuteycindyhoney said:

It's a dark theory, but what if her friends forgave her for EVERYTHING? When Sunset arrived in the human world, she stepped into that world's Sunset's life. She had money from a trust fund. She had a great rent controlled apartment. The nearby highway was working on a new exit ramp. Wet concrete. The original Sunset joined Jimmy Hoffa. 

I've wondered if while she was evil she offed the human sunset shimmer. It's a loose end that's never been tied up. 

On 10/10/2018 at 11:11 PM, Sunlight Glisten said:

I've wondered if while she was evil she offed the human sunset shimmer. It's a loose end that's never been tied up. 

Heh, was it you who mentioned that in the World Cup thread? I immediately thought of that weird Jet Li film... I think it was called "The One," and kinda seemed to be trying to be a Matrix knockoff without outright saying so. A character is traveling to different parallel dimensions and systematically killing the alternate versions of himself. Each time he does so, he absorbs their energy and becomes more powerful.

7 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Heh, was it you who mentioned that in the World Cup thread? I immediately thought of that weird Jet Li film... I think it was called "The One," and kinda seemed to be trying to be a Matrix knockoff without outright saying so. A character is traveling to different parallel dimensions and systematically killing the alternate versions of himself. Each time he does so, he absorbs their energy and becomes more powerful.

Never saw it bit now I need to!

Ya it was me, I didn't outright claim that my princess is a murderer, just that she makes potential issues a non-issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with the 'gem/bits' theory you're forgetting something about the portal, it converts EVERYTHING that is entered into it to the other versions equivillent.

I mean Saddle bags turn into Backpacks, Dragons turn into dogs, Books turn into... well apparently books :P

So it IS possible the bits turn into the currency of their world... so you never know.

However, I feel like it's really something they'll just not address. I mean they don't even address the mane 6's parents (despite in FIM they've actually show all of their parents by this point.)  But I mean it IS possible Sunset took over human Sunset's life.  Would be the best explanation.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2018 at 11:26 PM, JCKane said:

Well, with the 'gem/bits' theory you're forgetting something about the portal, it converts EVERYTHING that is entered into it to the other versions equivillent.

I mean Saddle bags turn into Backpacks, Dragons turn into dogs, Books turn into... well apparently books :P

So it IS possible the bits turn into the currency of their world... so you never know.

However, I feel like it's really something they'll just not address. I mean they don't even address the mane 6's parents (despite in FIM they've actually show all of their parents by this point.)  But I mean it IS possible Sunset took over human Sunset's life.  Would be the best explanation.

The portal does not transform inanimate objects (like the crown and element of magic), nor books or other items.

It MAY "adapt" clothes/fur/accesories so they keep fitting their "porpouse" on the other side if they are being worn by a living creature [a saddlebag thrown like the crown will passthrough without reshaping into a backpack].

It can even create complex devices like a wristwatch (unless it is just mockup for aestetical reasons), from organic matter [maybe using the iron on Starlight´s blood?].

Besides this observed "behavior"; there is a "deleted scene" in the DVD of Friendship Games were Princess Twilight meets Sunset in a cafe and then tries to pay using Equestria´s "bits" (big golden coins); then Sunset uses a few dollar bills while saying that she will have her chance to do it on Equestria later [as it was a "plot coupon" about her desire to return that was discarded]. This confirms that both "bits" coins do not change and they are not accepted as common currency in the world of Equestria Girls.

About the human six parents:

Besides Granny Smith, the only indirect reference in EQG to any parents is the BIG house near Sci!Twi´s "lab" (both share the same fences); since in "Monday Blues" its clear that she lives in the "lab" [implying that Night Light and Twilight Velvet are as rich as their pony counterparts and enjoy living their lives without their independent, "crazy" teenager daughter ].

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 1

Well, the whole idea of parenthood is an issue of many teenager cartoon stories. Lots of them just put them aside as possible as they can and just make them as irrelevant to the story as possible.  Some make the main character an orphan. Some doesn’t even mention them.

Since parents don’t appear on the show at all, let’s assume they are all independant in highschool age. It’s a cartoon show, It’s an imaginary world, we can make it how we want it. They are basically adults. Since Canterlot High seems like a less friendly place compared to Ponyville, let’s give some advantages to the EQG world. How about a utopian world where they can afford to live in these houses by having a part time job at the sushi restaurant? That’s better than Equestria. Screw magic. Having a house is more than magic.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, SilverComet said:

The portal does not transform inanimate objects (like the crown and element of magic), nor books or other items.

It MAY "adapt" clothes/fur/accesories so they keep fitting their "porpouse" on the other side if they are being worn by a living creature [a saddlebag thrown like the crown will passthrough without reshaping into a backpack].

It can even create complex devices like a wristwatch (unless it is just mockup for aestetical reasons), from organic matter [maybe using the iron on Starlight´s blood?].

Besides this observed "behavior"; there is a "deleted scene" in the DVD of Friendship Games were Princess Twilight meets Sunset in a cafe and then tries to pay using Equestria´s "bits" (big golden coins); then Sunset uses a few dollar bills while saying that she will have her chance to do it on Equestria later [as it was a "plot coupon" about her desire to return that was discarded]. This confirms that both "bits" coins do not change and they are not accepted as common currency in the world of Equestria Girls.

About the human six parents:

Besides Granny Smith, the only indirect reference in EQG to any parents is the BIG house near Sci!Twi´s "lab" (both share the same fences); since in "Monday Blues" its clear that she lives in the "lab" [implying that Night Light and Twilight Velvet are as rich as their pony counterparts and enjoy living their lives without their independent, "crazy" teenager daughter ].

I should point out that Deleted scenes may or may not be cannon.  Some times scenes are removed because they were made before the storyline changed.

Also, if I remember correctly, they have shown their money which seem to resemble EQ gold.  Though I mean they also reuse things like Hay-Burgers, unless they really do have a more vegetarian diet.

How does a pony from another planet/dimension does everything? Twilight slept in the school library when she first came there.

Sunset probably did have multiple part time jobs to help her around.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 1

On 12/10/2018 at 1:39 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Well, the whole idea of parenthood is an issue of many teenager cartoon stories. Lots of them just put them aside as possible as they can and just make them as irrelevant to the story as possible.  Some make the main character an orphan. Some doesn’t even mention them.

Since parents don’t appear on the show at all, let’s assume they are all independant in highschool age. It’s a cartoon show, It’s an imaginary world, we can make it how we want it. They are basically adults. Since Canterlot High seems like a less friendly place compared to Ponyville, let’s give some advantages to the EQG world. How about a utopian world where they can afford to live in these houses by having a part time job at the sushi restaurant? That’s better than Equestria. Screw magic. Having a house is more than magic.

I guess that could explain things, as weird as it is, but I still like the idea of the mane six living with their parents just because I think it would be fun to see the family dynamics of their teenage years.