Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you name colours?

Ganaram Inukshuk

NOTE TO MODERATORS: This might be an art related question, but it might also be a psychology thing, so I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this question.

Question: here's a wheel of hues. How do you divide the wheel and name the resulting colours?

wheel_of_hues.png.d1fe9c2ff26623c180d7215f9ba3e348.png

For example, this is my answer:

Spoiler

wheel_of_hues_me.png.290958055705e2b8f138deecb8111f34.png

I can see roygbiv. But if I take my eyes out of focus and not think about it the standouts are red, green, and blue. 

On my phone I See red green and blue of equal amounts about an inch thick. Orange and yellow are less than a quarter inch and purple is about a half inch. 

(edited)
6 hours ago, Sunlight Glisten said:

I can see roygbiv. But if I take my eyes out of focus and not think about it the standouts are red, green, and blue. 

On my phone I See red green and blue of equal amounts about an inch thick. Orange and yellow are less than a quarter inch and purple is about a half inch. 

4 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

The circle skipped Octarine.

^_^

I should clarify the instructions, then.

I'm trying to gauge how other people see and name colors because there are plenty of differences beyond what you expect from colourblindness.

Examples: many cultures see green and blue as one colour and Russian separates blue into two colours.

The other big difference I'm trying to look for is what we name colours. I personally dont see where violet falls on a colour wheel so I just call it purple instead. I've already gotten one result from elsewhere that shows that not everyone knows what cyan is and it therefore gets lumped together with blue.

Basically, the results I'm looking for need to be an image like what I have provided in my example. If you disagree with my divisions, that's the point; I want to see those differences.

Take some image editing program and draw dividing lines through the wheel of hues (the image I provided) into what you think the basic colours are, then go back and name what those colours are to you. The result should look like my example but it should have divisions and names different from mine.

(Yes, you have to copy and reupload the image.)

Did I clarify enough?

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

3 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I should clarify the instructions, then.

I'm trying to gauge how other people see and name colors because there are plenty of differences beyond what you expect from colourblindness.

Examples: many cultures see green and blue as one colour and Russian separates blue into two colours.

The other big difference I'm trying to look for is what we name colours. I personally dont see where violet falls on a colour wheel so I just call it purple instead. I've already gotten one result from elsewhere that shows that not everyone knows what cyan is and it therefore gets lumped together with blue.

Basically, the results I'm looking for need to be an image like what I have provided in my example. If you disagree with my divisions, that's the point; I want to see those differences.

Take some image editing program and draw dividing lines through the wheel of hues (the image I provided) into what you think the basic colours are, then go back and name what those colours are to you. The result should look like my example but it should have divisions and names different from mine.

(Yes, you have to copy and reupload the image.)

Did I clarify enough?

Yes, I understood from the OP, but offered a little humor. This would only work if everyone had access to the same monitor.

4 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Yes, I understood from the OP, but offered a little humor. This would only work if everyone had access to the same monitor.

I only realised that discrepancy too late, but see if you can try it anyway .

• The topic was locked