Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Discussing Leaks is a Bad Idea

Photon Jet

Hello everypony.

After reading all of this 'leak' stuff on sites such as Equestria Daily, I thought I had enough and decided to post this topic to spread the message about this.

Before I start, I loathe leaks. Leaks are nothing but party-poopers that get rid of all the suspense from us viewers. They can either be from a video game series we adore or cartoons we're currently enjoying such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic which you all already know. It's just that every time I look at what to expect sooner or later by looking at articles based on a particular program or game, there's always one or more comments saying 'leak' this and 'leak' there. It just burns me up or Peter Griffin would say, "it grinds my gears".

There's a reason why I believe leaks are a no-go in general. You see, most leaks you read nowadays contain nothing but fake news, making readers believe the events may really happen in due time. That does happen now and again but it is extremely difficult to stop it. Once a single leak containing questionable information was published, it spreads into a large number of websites like roots from a seed until it becomes too much to contain. Unfortunately, we're now living in an era where a large chunk of media can easily deceive us. Even worse, if we believed something that was not true (for example, the Millennium Bug and 2012) the authors would just laugh at us, making us look like complete fools. This could include the mentioned leaks related to Friendship is Magic as its' currently an ongoing trend at the moment. Which is why I don't believe any of it right now because one: it's unconfirmed unless the Big Cheese itself says so and two: the plans aren't even been set in stone yet or it could be a scrapped idea altogether because of how much profit is being made at the moment.

The video game series, Pokemon, has a long history of fake news in it's recent years and they're still happening to this day:

https://www.serebii.net/fakes/

So if I were you, I would not dwell into these leaks as they can be considered false and enjoy what we have at the moment. Starlight Glimmer did say, "You spend too much time worrying about the bad things that might happen, you'll miss out on all the good things that are happening". After all, discussing about any future events that may or may not happen based on the unconfirmed information given, could lead to controversy, arguments or worse, broken friendships. It's a bit like being lured into a spider's web. Yes, it's not pretty. So the next time you've come across any 'leaks' related to video games and programs, think to yourself: Could it really happen or is it just made up nonsense?

This post is not meant to offend anypony at all. I'm only spreading the awareness to everypony so they too cannot become victims to this. Believe me, I was one of them a few years ago.

Thanks for reading and understanding.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 2

Thanks for enlightenmenting me. Now I'm looking on G5 or Season 9 as an empty, not-proofed informaton. I fell better, thanks again and have a nice day.

Yeah, I've had this problem with leaks, and not just related to My Little Pony.

A ton of people were talking about these fake leaks on Super Smash Bros Ultimate, a game I'm looking forward to.  I know there are some characters that I hope make it in(Ex: Shadow the Hedgehog as well as another SquareEnix rep.  Hoping for ether Chrono or Terra Brandford).  But leaks this, and leaks that.  Why not just wait till Nintendo makes announcements like they have in the past, instead of turning Smash Bros Ultimate into a speculation sport?

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, SaburoDaimando said:

Yeah, I've had this problem with leaks, and not just related to My Little Pony.

A ton of people were talking about these fake leaks on Super Smash Bros Ultimate, a game I'm looking forward to.  I know there are some characters that I hope make it in(Ex: Shadow the Hedgehog as well as another SquareEnix rep.  Hoping for ether Chrono or Terra Brandford).  But leaks this, and leaks that.  Why not just wait till Nintendo makes announcements like they have in the past, instead of turning Smash Bros Ultimate into a speculation sport?

Sadly, some players are just too darn impatient and make others believe the information they give out may be true.

• Brohoof 1

Finally, someone with my tastes that I can actually relate to.

I couldn't agree more with you that leaks are more toxic than they are helpful. That's why I have never watched any MLP episode or any other TV show/movie before it was aired, except for the trailers of course.

7 hours ago, Photon Jet said:

Which is why I don't believe any of it right now because one: it's unconfirmed unless the Big Cheese itself says so and two: the plans aren't even been set in stone yet or it could be a scrapped idea altogether because of how much profit is being made at the moment.

That's 100% accurate.

The problem with people discussing generation 5, especially this early, is that anything could change, and also these "rumors" and "leaks" could simply be false, incorrect, and/or imprecise information that is normally taken out of its context, leading to more issues such as unnecessary assumptions. Such are the reasons why any discussion like this could be problematic. That, and the other reasons you mentioned,

7 hours ago, Photon Jet said:

After all, discussing about any future events that may or may not happen based on the unconfirmed information given, could lead to controversy, arguments or worse, broken friendships. It's a bit like being lured into a spider's web.

which I completely agree with.

Also, I am sick and tired of seeing those EQD discussions. It's starting to become irritating, filling up a good portion of the EQD feed right now.

Anyways, thanks for the post!

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

Finally, someone with my tastes that I can actually relate to.

I couldn't agree more with you that leaks are more toxic than they are helpful. That's why I have never watched any MLP episode or any other TV show/movie before it was aired, except for the trailers of course.

That's 100% accurate.

The problem with people discussing generation 5, especially this early, is that anything could change, and also these "rumors" and "leaks" could simply be false, incorrect, and/or imprecise information that is normally taken out of its context, leading to more issues such as unnecessary assumptions. Such are the reasons why any discussion like this could be problematic. That, and the other reasons you mentioned,

which I completely agree with.

Also, I am sick and tired of seeing those EQD discussions. It's starting to become irritating, filling up a good portion of the EQD feed right now.

Anyways, thanks for the post!

No problem. I'm happy to address the topic to you.

• Brohoof 2

I think it’s important to discuss the leaks, because they are part of what’s happening in the fandom. However, it’s true they can get out of hand, specially since it’s easier for it to spread by word of mouth with the prohibition of linking the sources. However, I don’t think we should dismiss them as fake either, because the information is out there, and they came with info that has proven legit so far. For me, the sensible stance to take would be stating the hard facts as they are, plain and simple, like: “This was discussed for an upcoming new show”, “They got this idea”, “This COULD (NOT will) come true”, etc, etc; not take them as the final product as we all know all kinds of work go through a process of ideas and everything. And yes, it’s safer to wait for an official word, because the final product may be vastly different than what’s been proposed in the leaks. Hell, the new show could be an spinoff in the end

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 8/26/2018 at 8:50 PM, Steve Piranha said:

I think it’s important to discuss the leaks, because they are part of what’s happening in the fandom. However, it’s true they can get out of hand, specially since it’s easier for it to spread by word of mouth with the prohibition of linking the sources. However, I don’t think we should dismiss them as fake either, because the information is out there, and they came with info that has proven legit so far. For me, the sensible stance to take would be stating the hard facts as they are, plain and simple, like: “This was discussed for an upcoming new show”, “They got this idea”, “This COULD (NOT will) come true”, etc, etc; not take them as the final product as we all know all kinds of work go through a process of ideas and everything. And yes, it’s safer to wait for an official word, because the final product may be vastly different than what’s been proposed in the leaks. Hell, the new show could be an spinoff in the end

I see. Plans do change now and again so I think it is best to stay safe out of the crossfire until the official announcement. It may even come as a surprise for all of us.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1