Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you think udders work in Equestria?

Unity

So, let me just say I am not trying by any means to make this a borderline or even NSFW topic.

But anyways, how do you think udders work in Equestria?

I think that a mare gains udders (or at least visible ones) once she has had a child, of course, we have not seen this, but I think it is a possibility.

Of course, this would probably require some kind of abdominal bra for the mare, but that's just what I would guess.

What are your thoughts on this? how do you think it works?

I think that after the child is born the  Dad actually grows udders, for example Granny Smith doesn't have udders but she's obviously had kids since she's a granny. It would also make sense in the matriarchy of Equestria, y'know what I'm saying?

Well we don't see them for the same reasons we don't see their privates but I'd say it follows either regular horse anatomy or maybe it's more like a cat where the mammary glands are more discreet and mostly covered by fur. Also I'd suspect that the world of MLP has similar practices to the west, mainly the United States, where formula is heavily used.

• Brohoof 1

36 minutes ago, SidPost said:

I think that after the child is born the  Dad actually grows udders, for example Granny Smith doesn't have udders but she's obviously had kids since she's a granny. It would also make sense in the matriarchy of Equestria, y'know what I'm saying?

We would have seen Granny smith's children if she had any.

Also, granny doesn't 100% mean grandma, it could just be a nickname, just like how princesses aren't really princesses in Equestria, at least not in our traditional fashion.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, heavens-champion said:

That doesn't answer the question.

Fine, you are right, the answer is too generic. I could chat with you, but not in the thread, since it's not in the topic.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:51 PM, Unity said:

Also, granny doesn't 100% mean grandma, it could just be a nickname, just like how princesses aren't really princesses in Equestria, at least not in our traditional fashion.

That's true, I didn't really consider that. Apologies for wasting your time.

12 minutes ago, SidPost said:

That's true, I didn't really consider that. Apologies for wasting your time.

No worries, no time wasted really.

I thought it was a joke comment from the start, but always nice to hear a different opinion

9 minutes ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

There are animals on this planet that have retractable genitals, so it's not hard to imagine udders working similar. Maybe just not big enough and they're obscured by fur, which is enough of a reason for them to not be drawn.

I was thinking that they still have mammary glands, whether it be on the chest or pelvis i think it is still their, and they only become visible when a mare has a baby.

7 minutes ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

There are animals on this planet that have retractable genitals, so it's not hard to imagine udders working similar. Maybe just not big enough and they're obscured by fur, which is enough of a reason for them to not be drawn.

I mean, the only reason we really need for private parts not to be drawn is it's a kid's show. xD

But I see what you mean. I like people using their own logic in this discussion. Personally, as someone who RPs a lot and is pretty anal about keeping things canon, I like to believe that ponies work just like regular Earth horses.

That being said, I'm not sure how a mare's breasts work, so I can't say much. But that's always been my preference when it comes to anatomy.

I'm sure udders work the same way they do in 'real life.' But they aren't going to animate the ponies with anatomical correctness for the same reason they don't draw genitals. It's not appropriate for a kids show and not everybody wants to see it. Beside that, from an artistic standpoint, it's considered clutter. When human characters are animated they're often drawn with three fingers instead of four. The reason is twofold; it's easier and less time consuming than adding that extra finger, and it looks better when it's more simplified. Added details such as udders would not make for good streamlined character design.  

So, in short, the ponies are going to have all the same equipment as 'real' horses, and it all works the same way; they just don't show it the same way.  

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Unity said:

I was thinking that they still have mammary glands, whether it be on the chest or pelvis i think it is still their, and they only become visible when a mare has a baby.

Heh, I didn't give it much deep thought before this thread. There are people who know I have a thing for dashie and have randomly sent me a thing or two from deviantart, and... wow... having things on the chest of a pony (where it's expected on a human, relative to the head location) really does seem just... strange. Sexualized parts on a pony in general just always felt weird to me anyhow, so maybe retractable glands is how my brain just decided to interpret it. Unless there's some weird "Stork" lore to pony reproduction, but I think I remember hearing there was an "official" comment (around the time Flurryheart was born) stating that ponies deal with all of this "the usual way."

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

On 9/1/2018 at 6:54 AM, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Heh, I didn't give it much deep thought before this thread. There are people who know I have a thing for dashie and have randomly sent me a thing or two from deviantart, and... wow... having things on the chest of a pony (where it's expected on a human, relative to the head location) really does seem just... strange. Sexualized parts on a pony in general just always felt weird to me anyhow, so maybe retractable glands is how my brain just decided to interpret it. Unless there's some weird "Stork" lore to pony reproduction, but I think I remember hearing there was an "official" comment (around the time Flurryheart was born) stating that ponies deal with all of this "the usual way."

I want to watch that episode even more now. x3

And yes, I haven't yet. I don't mind the minor spoilers because I know it's my own fault and I've already learned a lot about Flurry Heart.

Can you tell me which season that was in? I'll probably try to watch it this weekend.

2 hours ago, ZomBrony said:

I want to watch that episode even more now. x3

And yes, I haven't yet. I don't mind the minor spoilers because I know it's my own fault and I've already learned a lot about Flurry Heart.

Can you tell me which season that was in? I'll probably try to watch it this weekend.

Which one are you asking about?

On 8/27/2018 at 8:51 PM, Unity said:

But we HAVE seen Granny Smith's children, or at least her son. Bright Mac. He's just dead. I don't see how any of this is relevant though as there is countless other mother ponies. 

Anyway, I'm of the opinion they have horse style udders, they just aren't shown because there is no reason to show them. 

• Brohoof 1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, Unity said:

So, let me just say I am not trying by any means to make this a borderline or even NSFW topic.

But anyways, how do you think udders work in Equestria?

I think that a mare gains udders (or at least visible ones) once she has had a child, of course, we have not seen this, but I think it is a possibility.

Of course, this would probably require some kind of abdominal bra for the mare, but that's just what I would guess.

What are your thoughts on this? how do you think it works?

Well, no. Mrs. Cake (in Baby Cakes) doesn't have them & all the cows do. It's probably species specific

• 2 years later...
On 8/28/2018 at 3:33 AM, Unity said:

abdominal bra for the mare

I am not clear what your question was, but I don't want to end up banned, so I better not answer this :sealed: