Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Life in Canterlot Castle

Lucid_Nightlight

@Catpone Cerberus

"Trust me, I won't give you time to react."

Somnus stopped when he reached the front of the castle, where a bunch of kids were waiting. It seems the kitten followed Ruby and Somnus.

"Hi, I'm Somnus, this is Ruby. We are both guards and we will show you around the castle. Do you have any questions?"

A young dragon pony looked at Ruby and asked her a question.

"Do you kill many things?"

It was a pretty creepy question, but hey, it was still a question.

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby looked at the creature in front of her, a half dragon a half pony, she wondered if it had enough dragon to sense her true form through the disguise "I personally don't, I'm not that type of guard." her tone was surprisingly...non-hostile "Somnus can answer that one better, since he actually goes to the field." or at least that what Ruby had gathered. 

@Catpone Cerberus

Somnus started walking while the kids followed. The tour has begun.

"Ok, so this is the main hall. This is what leads to other rooms and hallways. The first room we will be stopping at is the armory. It's full of all kinds of weapons and armor. Typically we guards like to use spears."

A little orange colt asked both Somnus and Ruby question.

"Did you die?"

"Um... I don't recall that ever happening."

(edited)

@Catpone Cerberus

Another filly looked up at both Ruby and Somnus.

"Why does Equestria depend on six ponies instead of the guards? Shouldn't you be the first thing to try when someone attacks? Also where were you when the Storm King attacked?"

"I have no idea. All I know is that depending on the guards would be more practical. As for the Storm King thing, we were caught by surprise and had to retreat to different towns and cities. Me and some other guards who were with me retreated to Ponyville and defended it."

He continued.

"We had a plan to march on Canterlot and take it back, but when we got there... Princess Twilight and her friends were already releasing everyone from their cages. The party was fun though."

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby didn't reply to Somnus, instead she looked at the hybrid and grinned "I see you inherited more than part of your looks from your better half." she obviously meant the dragon side as the better half "Since you're indeed correct, though I wouldn't necessary call it type, since to my knowledge I'm only one who has bothered with it." it was only after that she replied to Somnus with whisper "She can sense it."

Edited by Catpone Cerberus

@Catpone Cerberus

"So kid, I got a question for you. Do you eat gems, and if so, why? I've always wondered this about dragons."

The filly was happy to answer this.

"I eat gems all the time. As for why... the breed of dragon that I have in me has what I can only describe as an extra piece to the sense of taste. To me, gems are like rock candy. There is also the fact that we are built to eat gems, just like how anyone who is purely a pony is built for plant-based food."

Somnus simply nodded since it was a fair answer. He then continued with the armory part of the tour.

"So basically these weapons here basically for killing things and the armor is for making sure those things don't kill us."

"How useful were they against Nightmare Moon?"

"Not very useful. I was there when the whole Nightmare Moon thing happened a little over 1000 years ago. Princess Luna got all mad because ponies were sleeping even though I've explained to her many times that sleeping is one of things that keep living things from dying. Seriously, you'd think that's be a simple concept to grasp. Anyway, when she became Nightmare Moon, myself and some other guards attempted to stop her, but obviously that didn't go too well. Luckily for us, Princess Celestia had the Elements of Harmony."

"What happened to you after she was sent to the moon?"

"I ended up being one of Celestia's guards until Princess Luna returned. After her return, I was selected to become one of her guards due to my experience and the fact that shiny bright colored armor didn't suit me as well as darker armor."

The dragon-pony filly looked over at Ruby.

"What's your job as a guard?"

@Catpone Cerberus

Sensing Ruby's attitude, the dragon-pony decided it'd be a good time to mess with Ruby.

"They probably put you in the easiest place to guard because you suck at your job!"

Afraid that Ruby might do something stupid, Somnus whispered to her.

"Ruby, you better not try anything crazy."

@Lucid_Nightlight
The brat's insult didn't faze Ruby at all, not only did she not care why she was chosen to her dream job, she knew exactly why she had been really chosen. She ignored Somnus whispering to her. "You obviously have no idea how important protecting the treasure of the rulers is." "But that aside, I was in fact chosen because they know that I can be trusted to do my job regardless the situation, and because there's no risk of me stealing something to myself." "That and because I'm very long-term."

@Catpone Cerberus

Somnus actually agreed with Ruby this time.

"Ruby is right. Guarding the treasury is an important job. She is the one preventing someone stealing everything and destroying the entire economy. The same economy that helps rebuild when Ponyville or some other town when it gets destroyed. Without her, you and many others would be living on the streets starving."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby was surprised that Somnus actually backed her up this time, she was not expecting that considering his habit of insulting her earlier. She was also surprised by how direct the guard was with the kids, not that she thought that kids shouldn't be told like things are, opposite in fact, but she had assumed that ponies sugarcoated things to their kids. "But I do admit that it's an easy job, but who wouldn't want a job where you get everything like food for free by just staying in one place making sure nopony enters without permission. "

(edited)

@Catpone Cerberus

"Yes, guarding a treasury seems pretty easy. As for patrolling the castle like I do, it's easy until it's not. On a normal day or night, nothing really happens. Sometimes something does happen though. Just yesterday some guy came in thinking it was a stand-up comedy club."

@Catpone Cerberus

"You'll never be as cool as me!"

Somnus decided not to argue with her and continued with the tour. He took everyone down the hall to a bigger room.

"Next stop is the throne room. It's basically where the princesses sit around writing laws or something."

The cat climbed on top of Ruby and hissed at the dragon-pony.

@Lucid_Nightlight
Ruby just looked at the hybrid with her usual smirk on her face "I'm curious to see which side of you grows stronger." she left it to that, ignoring the possible reply from the hybrid. Yet again Ruby didn't mind the cat climbing on her and even smiled a bit when it threatened the hybrid, it was rare that animal would like a bigger predator like Ruby, so she was more than happy to have individual of her second favorite species liking her. 

@Catpone Cerberus

"So they sit there and do nothing? That's stupid."

"They also write the laws, speak to leaders of other nations, and do other important things. Now, does anyone besides the hybrid have any questions?"

A green unicorn filly raised her hoof.

"Where are the princesses?"

"Princess Luna is probably complaining to Princess Celestia about Ruby or something. That's my best guess."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Probably" Ruby added to Somnus's guess "Luna seems to do that a lot." "It's either that or she has gone to bed and Celestia is attending business somewhere else." she didn't care if she was supposed to call them princesses, it didn't matter how much they tried to change it, she would always say what she felt like saying.

(edited)

@Catpone Cerberus

"Now we'll be heading over to the treasury. Another guard by the name of Arrow has set a little rope barrier to prevent anyone from getting too close to the money. Obviously none of you would try to take anything, but Ruby here might be a little protective towards the treasury and we don't want any... accidents."

Somnus looked over to Ruby.

"Don't worry, I'll keep a close eye on them."

He walked down to the treasury where Arrow was standing. How he managed to open the thing... Somnus could only assume that one of the princesses told him how, but he could never tell for sure since Arrow was full of surprises. Arrow looked to see the kitten on Ruby's head.

"I see you've met Mittens. I found him on the streets and I've been trying for a week to find someone to take him. Seriously, you'd think someone would want a tiny kitten as pet."

@Catpone Cerberus

"Ok then, I guess you got yourself a kitten."

Surprisingly, the Hybrid seemed to have no desire to take anything from the treasury.

"Got anything not pointless?"

"As I said before, you'd starve to death without this treasury."

"Sounds better than being in this boring castle with the stupid disguised dragon who will soon meet my claws!"

Somnus laughed for a moment remembering his fight with Ruby.

"That's not a good idea."