Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions What is the recommended size for a profile cover image?

Unity

Short answer: No :derp:

Long answer:
More or less; From what I see now, I could say the following:

HCAXZFs.png Preferred cover's width is 1310px.
This is preferable width, as images will be scaled up or down to that width. In order to save some filesize, do not go beyond that width.

HCAXZFs.png Preferred cover's height is unknown, but something around 1000px should be enough.
It all depends on resolution. Note, that on desktop you'll probably see about 200 - 400 pixels, where on mobile it usually goes way beyond that, due to more square-y display.
EXAMPLE:

Spoiler

DESKTOP VIEW // FULL WIDTH
ijoMm1b.png

MOBILE VIEW
VLUhs6k.png

1KHxxtz.png Notice, that the image is scaled up/down to display full width of the image on both views. The displayed height varies though.

HCAXZFs.png Unlike with width, different height will not scale the image.
So it basically can have any height, without any quality loss.

HCAXZFs.png Maximum file size is 0.25MB.
The more details the image will have, the heavier it will be, even if it has the same dimensions.

HCAXZFs.png Preferred image format is .png.
This format doesn't hurt the quality, unlike .jpg, for example. Though consider using lower quality formats when ending up with images, that exceed the maximum allowed file size. In that case, .jpg will do.

The problem here is height, as it is relative to display size. Some users may see more than the others. Generally the higher the image, the better, assuming the filesize will not be an issue.;)  

Also try to focus on the top of the image, as mainly that part is displayed.

Generally I suggest temporarily putting any image you'll find just to see how it behaves for yourself. ;) 

Edited by Rikifive
Updated information: Preferred width is 1310, not 1282.

1 hour ago, Rikifive said:

Not sure if my mind just blew over the answer, and i know that it scales down and everything, but do you have any suggested dimensions? 

I want to make on in a program on my computer and i don't know what to start with.

38 minutes ago, Unity said:

Not sure if my mind just blew over the answer, and i know that it scales down and everything, but do you have any suggested dimensions? 

I want to make on in a program on my computer and i don't know what to start with.

There isn't one specific size because not everything related to cover photos displays the same from different screen sizes (view ports). Basically, you need to play around with what works in the images field for multiple screen sizes. 

2 hours ago, Unity said:

The suggested width of the image is 1310 pixels, but hard to tell about height. I'd say 200 pixels is the minimum, as that's exactly how much you see when having the site displayed in maximum width (screen resolution/browser window size)

vl1XdAI.png

I'm not sure if it would be possible to cover the whole space in any view with height lower than 200, so unless I'm mistaking, let's assume it is a minimum.

Now even on desktop some users may have lower screen resolution (smaller monitors, that is), or simply work in a small browser window. In that case the displayed height goes up.

Spoiler

If you'll resize the window down, the cover itself is scaled down, due to not enough space (width). Along with that, you can see 'more' of the image, due to it keeping the aspect ratio.

bsP4x6H.png

1KHxxtz.png Notice, that you can view more than in the example I've posted before, the one with dektop-full view.

It goes up to 400 pixels, at least in Chrome, because when it gets even smaller, it switches to mobile view with 'squarey' design, where you see way more than 400 pixels - it is about 600 or even more, dependable on device.

If the image will be too short (height), it will simply not take the whole space and the rest will be left black.

Oh I also discovered, that the preferred width now is 1310 pixels, not 1282 as I stated before. Not sure if I derped back then or if something was changed due to an update etc..  So yeah, definitely start with 1310 (width).

So... A 1310x600 image should be okay in most cases. Higher images wouldn't hurt, if you'd happen to have some extra filesize left and having a way to nicely draw more at the bottom.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2