Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do Some Ponies have Inanimate Objects as Pets?

EpicEnergy

Despite the fact that many ponies would consider this weird, I have a feeling more ponies out there have inanimate objects as pets since this isn't Pie family exclusive. Can you at least explain, or give theories, as to why Maud and Mudbriar have inanimate objects as pets? Maybe go a little further and explain why any pony would have such an inanimate object as a pet.

I think this is some sort of defect that is a result of an obsession in an area, like rocks or trees. A pony obsesses over such an area soo much that rock and sticks, or whatever, come to life in their minds. That's the only explanation I have.

Maud touches on this in a roundabout way last season when she mentions her love of rocks. Take that piece, and then read this

https://daily.jstor.org/personification-is-your-friend-the-amazing-life-of-letters/

That link will take you to the next level. That is if you want a possible in-universe example of the concept. The real explaination is that it's a quirky amusing trait to give Maud. Her boyfriend has the same quirk to telegraph to the audience that they are ment for each other. 

• Brohoof 4

Because as Jeric showcased, it's due to those characters having a quirky trait. Sure, we may not understand it but to those who have such pets, it means everything in the world to them.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

Maud touches on this in a roundabout way last season when she mentions her love of rocks. Take that piece, and then read this

https://daily.jstor.org/personification-is-your-friend-the-amazing-life-of-letters/

That link will take you to the next level. That is if you want a possible in-universe example of the concept. The real explaination is that it's a quirky amusing trait to give Maud. Her boyfriend has the same quirk to telegraph to the audience that they are ment for each other. 

Thanks for informing me! To think the answer to this question was right under my nose, because I've just recently pulled out a list of figurative languages and their definitions that I previously memorized with the purpose of refreshing my memory, and this list had personifications on it. I wasn't aware, however, that personifications are applicable to inanimate objects. You learn something new everyday!

Edited by EpicEnergy