Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nintendo Direct 9/13/2018

Luigi

Hello everyone.

I was on Discord earlier, and I understand that Nintendo has announced another Direct for tomorrow at 3:00 PM Pacific Standard time. I thought maybe I should start a topic about it. Obviously a lot of people are excited about Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and hoping there will be a newcomer announced during the direct, but we'll see. What would you like to see in the direct? What do you think will happen?

Edited by Baby Dashie

1 hour ago, Baby Dashie said:

Hello everyone.

I was on Discord earlier, and I understand that Nintendo has announced another Direct for tomorrow at 3:00 PM Pacific Standard time. I thought maybe I should start a topic about it. Obviously a lot of people are excited about Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and hoping there will be a newcomer announced during the direct, but we'll see. What would you like to see in the direct? What do you think will happen?

I'm so looking forward to this, son. Although I won't be able to respond to it until after class.

I heard that an Ace Attorney game will be coming to the Switch and I would like to see footage of it here.

And I'm hoping that Animal Crossing gets a core game for the Switch complete with the option to transfer most if all of the items and content you might have already gotten in New Leaf. Although, the transfer idea might likely be impossible due to hardware limitations, but if they do have that feature, I'll be so relieved.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 1

It will most likely focus on their online plans since they said that it would become a thing sometime towards the end of this month. This is perhaps the most important thing Nintendo needs to deal with so as to give players an idea as to what it will entail. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate should be given a little focus but not too much as they still have other games on the horizon that demand attention.

Not looking forward to this in the slightest. Nintendo has been heavily disappointing me this year, especially with their Directs and I have a strong feeling this will be no different. All I want is some mention of Animal Crossing, we know that won't happen. Probably just info on small titles and maybe some info on games announced over a year ago that had no spotlight at E3 at all, almost like Nintendo is playing catch-up with its own software. And of course more Smash stuff, but whatever. Probably some info on their already mediocre looking online service too. Nothing that I can jump up in joy about. I am excited for Smash, but I already have more than enough info on the game, way more than I need even.

My varied Time Zone won't allow me to watch it until late. More details of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is inevitable, but hopefully there will be some interesting things announced. 

7 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Waiting for this: "We are very excited to announce Animal Crossing..." 

"YES!!!" 

"...Amiibo Festival 2!" 

"............."

Honestly, I never wanted Animal Crossing on a system that's not easily portable like the Wii U. So when there was news that one game was coming to the Wii U, I wasn't excited and therefore wasn't disappointed at all when it turn out to be more a side game than a core game.

Besides Amiibo Festival turned out that way because most of the crew was working on Splatoon 1 after finishing AC: New Leaf. 

10 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Waiting for this: "We are very excited to announce Animal Crossing..." 

"YES!!!" 

"...Amiibo Festival 2!" 

"............."

You're forgetting the more likely bad scenario: Just porting the Wii U version to the Switch. That alongside porting New Super Mario Bros U (the most uninspired, boring Mario game I have ever even attempted to play. I'd rather play Mario is Missing) and Nintendo would really be hitting rock bottom.

A new Nintendo direct, you know what that means?!

Related image

But outside of joking about people's unrealistic expectations, I think that outside of info about the online service we will get some info on Yoshi, Animal Crossing, Smash (one newcomer and or echo at most), and some miscellaneous games.

Edited by cmarston1

Well, here's what we'll be getting for Switch:

- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, which adds Toadette, who can Power Up to become Peachette!
- Final Fantasy, and lots the of it, Kupo!
----- Final Fantasy VII, IX, X & X-2 HD Remaster, and XII: The Zodiac Age, all coming to Switch!
----- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition coming to Switch with online multiplayer.
- Luigi's Mansion 3 coming in 2019
- Isabelle comes to Smash as a Semi-Clone for Villager, only her Final Smash has the Nooks build Town Hall.
- Tom Nook hints at Animal Crossing for Switch, coming next year.

That was... eh.

I hate to not feel incredibly hyped to see Animal Crossing Switch revealed... BUT I already knew that someday it was coming. The biggest news here is that it is coming out in 2019. Not really seeing anything about it makes it very hard to get hyped. Animal Crossing titles have been hits or misses. New Leaf was a hit, but City Folk was a big miss. Which approach are they taking here? We don't know.

Luigi's Mansion 3 was a neat, unexpected reveal. It's not among my top favorite franchises, but it is certainly a game I will be watching, and hopefully buying.

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe? Good lord. Why, just why? That game was already so boring and uninspired. It came bundled with my Wii U. I put the disc in once and couldn't get far into it at all. It is such a samey game compared to the rest of its series that making it another Wii U port instead of releasing another one is a slap in the face. Although I'm not sure a new NSMB would actually be much better, this is just really hitting rock bottom here.

A lot of things revealed here were already revealed prior. Civilization VI coming to Switch is neat. I just haven't ever been able to get into that franchise on PC, and I don't think Switch would make a difference, so I'll pass and be happy for others who want it.

Seeing some real (past) Final Fantasy games come to Switch is neat, as well. Final Fantasy really split off from Nintendo with FFVII and it has always been kind of a big deal and made me feel kind of ticked off that Cloud ever made it into Smash. But I've never been into the series. I tried X back when I got my PS2, and Crystal Chronicles? I didn't care for that game at all. I might try VII when it comes out.

Lastly... The online service. Nintendo tried to make it all cute and appealing by presenting it with their cutesy Mario characters presentation, but they literally revealed absolutely nothing. This service is 100% how they've been presenting it since day one. There's no more room for "Give them a chance!" This is it. Time's up. They had nothing to show. In fact, the not even being able to tease that there might come games from systems beyond the NES is really sad. And I mean sad in the pathetic way. This service is not worth paying for at all. It's Nintendo being a crappy, greedy business. I know that Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for a while, and they are crappy too. But Nintendo is supposed to be "different" according to its fanbase. Well, wake up and smell the roses, they aren't.

• Brohoof 1

Nice to see the Final Fantasy games come back to Nintendo, but goddammit just give us FFVIII and Tactics HD already, those ones are my favorites

Luigi's Mansion 3 was incredibly welcome, one of my favorite games on the Gamecube

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, This Whomps said:

Nice to see the Final Fantasy games come back to Nintendo, but goddammit just give us FFVIII and Tactics HD already, those ones are my favorites

Luigi's Mansion 3 was incredibly welcome, one of my favorite games on the Gamecube

Maybe in the future, when we see FFVIII + Chocobo World VIII!

I love what I saw in there. And am hoping that the very last reveal is going to be a good one.

And most of the port/remakes have added something a bit new to the original. So whether you've played the game before or never, there will be potential for fun. Fun is what video games are supposed to be and it all depends on the play style of the people.

And to those complaining about the prices for Nintendo Online Services, it's a fact their $20 a year (one of several payment options) is still cheaper than PS4 $50/yr or Xbox $40/yr. 

• Brohoof 1

Much of this Direct wasn't very exciting as much of it we knew as far back as E3 with other things having been leaked last week thus ruining the overall surprise. Once again, it seems Nintendo is relying on ports of older games as a means of giving them new life but why did we need them anyway? I'm fine with the idea as it allows those who missed out a chance to experience them but it only works when it isn't overused which is what's happening. They need new ideas and not ports for success.

I will give them credit for the new Yoshi game and a third Luigi's Mansion was definitely unexpected. On the Animal Crossing front... I'm not a fan of it but kudos to those who are as they finally got what they've been clamoring for months now. As for Isabelle being a playable character in SSBU... I think we all saw this coming seeing as her assist trophy was missing from what has been shown--the trailer was easy to figure out thus Nintendo once again aren't good at being subtle. Oh yes! I can't forget about their online service. They needed to talk about it and that's what they did. Granted, I think many will be disappointed that they have to pay to play online but then this was something Nintendo had to do in order to keep up with the competition in their own way.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Envy said:

Lastly... The online service. Nintendo tried to make it all cute and appealing by presenting it with their cutesy Mario characters presentation, but they literally revealed absolutely nothing. This service is 100% how they've been presenting it since day one. There's no more room for "Give them a chance!" This is it. Time's up. They had nothing to show. In fact, the not even being able to tease that there might come games from systems beyond the NES is really sad. And I mean sad in the pathetic way. This service is not worth paying for at all. It's Nintendo being a crappy, greedy business. I know that Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for a while, and they are crappy too. But Nintendo is supposed to be "different" according to its fanbase. Well, wake up and smell the roses, they aren't.

I suppose you think that VALVE is the best, because Steam is Free, and that they provide everything you expect for Free, as well? Maybe they better come out with Left 4 Dead 3, so we can have as many "RELOADING" memes as we can pump out!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

I still don't get why people complain about the online services. It's still cheaper than its competitors and not everyone uses the online services anyway.

Now, if someone can give me a reasonable answer as to why they're now charging for online services without being cynical or whiny, I'll concede. There's been way too much whining about the service in other places. What's happened to calm, reasonable people?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Willusion said:

I still don't get why people complain about the online services. It's still cheaper than its competitors and not everyone uses the online services anyway.

Now, if someone can give me a reasonable answer as to why they're now charging for online services without being cynical or whiny, I'll concede. There's been way too much whining about the service in other places. What's happened to calm, reasonable people?

I agree. All I hear are squawks! Why can't they just listen to this, and realize everything's gonna be just fine?

The raving public's reaction to Nintendo is most non-non-non-nonheinous!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

I am gonna say that this, in my opinion, this Direct was nowhere near as good as everyone was saying it was, at least not to me. The only announcements that mattered were Luigi's Mansion 3 and of course, Animal Crossing which I definitely am happy about and even Isabelle's inclusion in Smash impresses me because it at least looks like she may not be an echo fighter after all, which is what I figured she would be.

Everything else though was rather middling, except for one thing...That online service segment...Christ, it was fucking awful. Trying to do the whole cutesy presentation with their own characters COULD have worked, if what they were showing us wasn't total garbage. We got nothing new out of that presentation, first of all, and secondly, I love how they fully acknowledged how pretty damn irritating it would be to lose our saves but waited all this time to give us an option in backing them up, but even THAT is limited. We still cannot do basic things that became industry standard well over a decade ago. We STILL can't message our friends at all, we can't do any kind of party chat system, we still have to use that pile of trash smartphone app, what the hell are they thinking with this? Look, I know $20 a year is nearly nothing, I get that, but we are talking about a PAID online service that doesn't even have basic messaging. That is embarrassing. The classic counter argument that people keep saying is that cheap price tag, but I don't care how cheap it is. The facts are that the Switch's paid online lacks so many things that other consoles give you for FREE. Oh and the NES games thing? Trash. Why? Because it comes at the cost of, you know, the Virtual Console. One of the best things Nintendo had before. They could have transferred our purchases from the Wii U and 3DS onto the Switch with the VC but nope. Instead we get this nonsense. Yaaaaay.

Needless to say, I am not impressed. Nintendo is clearly stuck in the past even to this day and I am tired of it. I really like the Switch a lot, but I have a saying for it these days: The main thing holding it back is Nintendo itself.