Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unicorn Twily or Alicorn Twily?

DivineMist1000

Unicorn. Her character was simply not written to be that of an alicorn, and despite what others say, her character has changed dramatically to fit this change. To be fair, these changes are to redefine her character as being appropriate for her new role as a teacher and leader rather than her previous role as a student; however, it was sudden, jarring, and made a character that was already a bit of a mary sue ("Your element is strongest and rarest, Twilight.") completely jump the shark with her role as a special snowflake main character princess wizard heroine super saiyan god super saiyan.

18 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Unicorn. Her character was simply not written to be that of an alicorn, and despite what others say, her character has changed dramatically to fit this change. To be fair, these changes are to redefine her character as being appropriate for her new role as a teacher and leader rather than her previous role as a student; however, it was sudden, jarring, and made a character that was already a bit of a mary sue ("Your element is strongest and rarest, Twilight.") completely jump the shark with her role as a special snowflake main character princess wizard heroine super saiyan god super saiyan.

Twilight went-even-further-BEYOND!!

• Brohoof 2

I don't really have a preference. She's still the same pony! :adorkable:

Though I found her a little more relatable early in the series when she still had more to learn about friendship, that doesn't really have much to do with whether she has wings or not. And a lot of the later episodes would have been different without her becoming an alicorn – I can't really imagine "Twilight's Kingdom" (my favorite episode) with unicorn Twilight, for example. :dash:

• Brohoof 3

I prefer unicorn Twilight. The alicorn change did only bad things for her. Not only was it pointless since "Once Upon a Zeppelin" is the only episode that has taken advantage of Twilight being a princess in a good way, but it also ruined Twilight's character. Twilight lost all of her snark and anger after season 3, so the show pushes her only flaw left, neurosis, up to 11. When she isn't freaking out, she's acting as a boring voice of reason. There are exceptions like "Three's a Crowd" and "No Second Prances", but those are a vast minority. Alicorn Twilight feels more idealistic while unicorn Twilight felt more realistic. 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, bigbertha said:

I prefer unicorn Twilight. The alicorn change did only bad things for her. Not only was it pointless since "Once Upon a Zeppelin" is the only episode that has taken advantage of Twilight being a princess in a good way, but it also ruined Twilight's character. Twilight lost all of her snark and anger after season 3, so the show pushes her only flaw left, neurosis, up to 11. When she isn't freaking out, she's acting as a boring voice of reason. There are exceptions like "Three's a Crowd" and "No Second Prances", but those are a vast minority. Alicorn Twilight feels more idealistic while unicorn Twilight felt more realistic. 

Chrysalis: Yes, I preferred when she was hopeless as well! Good times!

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, DivineLuna1000 said:

Chrysalis: Yes, I preferred when she was hopeless as well! Good times!

Helpless because she wasn't an Alicorn? I seem to remember an incident involving a Unicorn or two... and your hive.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

Am I the only one that prefers Alicorn Twilight?

She starts to have more responsibilities and become more involved in resolving friendship/national problems. Makes the plot more interesting. We still get the slice of life and most of the time you can basically ignore the fact that she has wings because it doesn't really change who she is. She doesn't sit on her throne all day, she acts just like before.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer Twilight as an alicorn as her wings have become an extension of her character in both physical and mental capacities. She's also become much more mature--most of the time--since ascending to the role of princess.

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I prefer Twilight as an alicorn as her wings have become an extension of her character in both physical and mental capacities. She's also become much more mature--most of the time--since ascending to the role of princess.

Twilight is still Twilight, wings or not!

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, DivineLuna1000 said:

Twilight is still Twilight, wings or not!

I know but you have to admit that becoming a princess has opened her to new ideas she never thought possible before.

Twilight has definitely been one of my favorite ponies, from the beginning. I was very happy when she became an alicorn, because I feel like she deserved it!! She's always been that leader/mentor type in my eyes. ^_^  I think I prefer alicorn or, "Princess" Twilight a lot more though, it gives her a more grown-up stature. 

• 1 year later...