Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do dragons need other dragons to induce fertility?

ManaMinori

So, MLP comic #70 came out it largely involved Rainbow Dash hiding Bingo balls across  Ponyville. In one panel, Spike wakes up, finding a bingo ball in his bed and goes to Twilight saying "don't panic, but I think I may have laid an egg"

which got me thinking......

What if it's not a joke line? We really don't know how dragons reproduce, if they need a mate- since we've never seen or heard of a dragon with one. We DON'T know how dragons get fertile, nor where Spike's own egg came from (any no one else in the show seems to know). We've only ever seen a male dragon (Dragon Lord Torch) with his daughter, and no others with family members.....soooo...maybe it IS the male dragons who somehow lay the eggs and get fertile....through magic?

Any ideas?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

A children's show is not going to seriously address the questions of reproduction. Spike has his moments that are lacking in common sense. There are clearly male and female dragons so a normal means of reproduction is pretty safe to assume. However the practices in rearing young could have some surprises as dragon culture does differ from Equestria's and dragons do become more independent around their teenage years.

• Brohoof 1

That's a pretty big conclusion to jump to from a simple joke in the comics. Until official information is given about how the dragons reproduce from the show or an official book about the show's lore, I think it's safe to just assume they reproduce like humans do. Lauren Faust already confirmed that's how it works for the ponies, which is proven by how Flurry Heart is born.

10 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

That's a pretty big conclusion to jump to from a simple joke in the comics. Until official information is given about how the dragons reproduce from the show or an official book about the show's lore, I think it's safe to just assume they reproduce like humans do. Lauren Faust already confirmed that's how it works for the ponies, which is proven by how Flurry Heart is born.

ponies and dragons are completely, drastically different biology though. You can't even begin to compare the two. And in a a fantasy world, I'm not going to assume that any species works like humans do irl.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

ponies and dragons are completely, drastically different biology though. You can't even begin to compare the two. And in a a fantasy world, I'm not going to assume that any species works like humans do irl.

They do have a drastically different biology, but there are also similarities. Dragons still lay eggs that need to be fertilized, just like how the bodies of many real-life female creatures produce eggs, including humans. Obviously, humans don't lay eggs like chickens, but they still produce them. What you were arguing earlier was that it was male dragons who laid eggs while the evidence supporting it was so weak that it could simply just be female dragons laying the eggs. Regarding the fantasy world remark, fantasy takes inspiration from real life and attempts to imitate real life to some extent. And like I already said, we have an actual example from the show that shows ponies reproduce like humans do. Would you mean to argue that Shining Armor and Cadance just "magicked" Flurry Heart into existence? That they can just magically create an alicorn baby through some sort of forbidden spell? :mlp_confused: I can buy Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer hatching eggs with magic but an alicorn baby...come on. No, they just reproduce like real-life humans. There's no need to overcomplicate things any further. :kindness:

• The topic was locked