Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Art of the Dress part 1

Rarity

The Grand Galloping Gala is just around the corner, and having 3 boutiques now means there are a lot more custom dress requests than there used to be, And though my friends have graciously offered to help, I'm afraid designing is not their forte. That's where you come in! I decided to bring in freelancers to help me with the rough ideas and sketch some dresses for me to work on. Nothing fancy, as long as I can see the patterns clearly it would be delightful.

Once the Gala is over and I have some more time on my hooves, I will be sewing a dress for one of you. Until then, be Fabulous!
(one of the participants at random will have a dress made for their character or a canon character of their choice drawn by Lord Valtasar)

Post your designs as comments on this thread, you have until the last day of fashion week (see calendar)

Here is a Ponequine to help you make the design (you can sketch your dress on this image)

pony_mannequin_base_by_demonreapergirl-d5seerq.thumb.png.8698c5a3f9bb774ac519f95e2f611132.png

• Brohoof 4

• The topic was featured

Here's mine design for the mares, now onto designing for the colt. 

So I mixed a bit with both the victorian and the 50's style for grace. With a touch of military attire for  strength at the same time modesty (veil). Wait..why am I talking like Rarity?? Well anywho, 

akaowapzxzz.thumb.jpg.caa0d2d0b1b50f46afd72888093fdd7f.jpg

Edit: I just decided to add on the ideal hairstyles that will fit best for this outfit. And I have two kind of feather which I'm still debuting which is best to use.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 12

Heehee, just finished sketching mine. I’ll start inking it and may be able to add a little color before bed!

EDIT: Scratch that. Getting too late. But that’s fine, I can color it when I get home tomorrow night. Even if I don’t get picked in the raffle, I might have to draw a pony wearing this anyway. I like it that much. XD

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 8

Now this is in no way perfect but I hope that my queen Rarity :fabulous: will like this dress I have made for her. Maybe she will like the idea I am presenting. :darling:

Spoiler

1B5B4A7E-B29C-4C29-89F4-BFBDB13A1B23.thumb.png.b626926c2f56ba758b9cfb2291accfa3.png

Edited by Nye
  • Brohoof 9

I'm bad at art, but made something for fun... :laugh:

Now that's how you design disasters. :love:

It looks so bad :love: but it was a good opportunity to bring the painting soft from the basement before it would break, due to dust. :D 

So um... That parody of a dress was designed having Fluttershy in mind and it was inspired by Ponytones' outfit.

Enough said, enjoy the masterpiece. :love: *explosions in background*

MScEOyF.png

No idea what's up with that fluffy pink on the back; I did science! :love:

It looks good if you close your eyes. ;) 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 11

So, Fleur popped in and insisted on a dancing dress, as she's fed up with being saddled (ha!) with some stately gown for the Gala.

Which to me means something like a 1920's flapper outfit, with lots of light flowing layers and trim while still technically being minimalist in cut as they really are just a series of shorter tapered tube dresses stitched together with no belting. If they bother to have any actual tailoring it will be around the bust, which is kinda irrelevant on a pony.

The colors here are just to differentiate it from the ponequinn are not meant to be taken seriously as they should vary depending on who exactly the dress is made for. Mainly silk, with either silver slivers or crystal shards for trim, just for the glitter. I decided to pin up one side for an asymmetric look as well as using the trim for a peek-a-boo with the cutie-mark. Again, depending on the exact subject for the dress, that pin-up might be higher or lower, just so the trim covers the cutie-mark, revealing only when dancing. The silk *could* be embroidered to add a bit of texture, as that is something of a standard for the flapper style, but that will likely cut down on the shine, which I think would be a bit of a loss.

FlapperPone.png.2cf7eabf9211ea1a92c15246ff4e2f5b.png

Yes, I put too much thought into this. Fleur insisted.

• Brohoof 12

1 hour ago, Lord Valtasar said:

made another quick sketch while testing some things for part 2, i guess i'll leave it here aswel

These are great. :o Quick sketches? It is a decent art already! :derp:

Rarity... Dresses... Inspiration...

That thread *triggered* me (in a positive way, that is), because for one of my future projects I plan to create a puzzle game, where you have to move gems in order to match 3 or more of the same kind in a line - basically a common puzzle game. But what won't be so common is that it will be ponified and focused on Rarity and the art of the dress. The gems themselves will also have some nice additional effects. You'll have to 'break' gems and stuff to make Rarity progress. With that being said, many dress designs would be required to give it all some variety - one dress for each level.

Soooo, this thread right here, fills me with motivation, though it's too soon for that! ^_^ Either way, thanks Rarity. :grin:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 4

11 hours ago, Rikifive said:

It looks so bad :love: but it was a good opportunity to bring the painting soft from the basement before it would break, due to dust. :D 

So um... That parody of a dress was designed having Fluttershy in mind and it was inspired by Ponytones' outfit.

MScEOyF.png

9 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

So, Fleur popped in and insisted on a dancing dress, as she's fed up with being saddled (ha!) with some stately gown for the Gala.

FlapperPone.png.2cf7eabf9211ea1a92c15246ff4e2f5b.png

Yes, I put too much thought into this. Fleur insisted.

AWWWWWW!! Guys these are adorable! I love them!

Just wait till you see mine. At first you’ll all be surprised, and then you’ll remember who drew it, and then be completely UNsurprised. :laugh:

• Brohoof 6

50 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

I'm not artist so I'll just post here to cheer on the people who are drawing for this event, go people! :mlp_yay:

I'm not an artist either. ;) Come on, give it a try. 

wwVNt9j.png

45 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

AWWWWWW!! Guys these are adorable! I love them!

Just wait till you see mine. At first you’ll all be surprised, and then you’ll remember who drew it, and then be completely UNsurprised. :laugh:

IMPOSSIBRU! :laugh: Thanks! :D 

You made me curious. :pout:

• Brohoof 3

This actually turned out quite nicely. At first I tried to draw those monstrous bridesmaid dresses from the 80's but they were too awful to be posted here. *The horror, the horror!*  I ended up modifying those sketches a bit, hence the reckless use of pink :yuck:

Who would have known it would be so relaxing to draw posh garments for horses... :-D

Uptight, fancy pancy Canterlot dress.png

• Brohoof 9

Here's an design for the colts! Some hints of a workmen attires for craftsmanship in creativity and in style. 

photomania-6856c5d974d6a0db6db0bd546c758b37.thumb.jpg.9b74cbf0670f578706b4403c43d7d170.jpg

• Brohoof 12