Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like Starlight Glimmer?

DivineMist1000

Do you like Starlight Glimmer?  

64 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like Starlight?

• Yes, she's awesome and so beautiful!
    • No, she tried to kill everypony and I'll never forgive her for that!

Yeah, I think she's hella cool. Like someone said above, I wasn't her biggest fan when she was a villain, but reformed Starlight is pretty down to Equestria while still having her own struggles, making her pretty relatable. She's also proven to be very powerful and has the best reaction faces. Plus... she's the other half of StarTrix :mlp_rarity:

• Brohoof 2

As a villain? Discounting a really good plan in the Season 5 finale, I wasn't a fan of her actual character. As a reformed character? I always knew she was going to grow on me after she got reformed and she did. She is a total screw-up unlike the Twilight of now, and that's what makes her fun to watch. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I do like her! I wasn't a fan of her when she was a villain, but once she changed her ways and worked to receive everypony's trust, I found her to be a really cool character! In fact, she is one of my favorite Non-Mane 6 ponies.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I really like Starlight as a character- ever since she was first introduced in the show. I found it extremely amusing that they would even put someone like her (and her little "village") in a show like this. :umad:

I also really liked her character because it took a while to figure out what the heck her "issues" were.

In college I've spent a few years working on a major in Criminal Justice. That involved classes in Psychology, Sociology, and Criminology. The aspect of what makes criminals "tick", (what could be wrong with them and other factors/events that cause criminal behavior) was something I've always found fascinating.

Based on what I learned from those classes (I AM NOT AN EXPERT) Starlight seems to have some degree of Borderline Personality Disorder. She also has shown Sociopathic tendencies.

Borderline Personality Disorder-

• "Symptoms can be triggered by seemingly ordinary events. people with borderline personality disorder may become angry and distressed over minor separations from people to whom they feel close" (nih.gov)
  • Inappropriate, intense anger or problems controlling anger
  • Difficulty trusting
  • "Their opinions of other people can also change quickly. An individual who is seen as a friend one day may be considered an enemy or traitor the next." (nih.gov)
  • People with BPD often engage in idealization and devaluation of others, alternating between high positive regard for people and great disappointment in them.
  • marked sensitivity to criticism...quiet_gif_starlight_glimmer_by_reignbeaux_xiii-d8ohmbd.gif.3c6b713a095b772efd4679c95b0608ca.gif

Sociopathic tendencies-

• weaker conscience
  • weaker empathy
  • self serving/manipulative.
  • blame people and/or makes excuses for behavior (i.e cutie marks ARE THE DEVIL)

I also like how when she is "reformed,"  issues still pop up from time to time.

• Thinking mind control spells on friends is acceptable
  • Switching Celestia and Luna's cutie marks (WHILE THEY ARE ALREADY BECOMING ENRAGED on top of it)...(The map was good to pick her though to make her think about empathy more)Celestia_and_Luna_glaring_at_Starlight_Glimmer_S7E10.png.4655eb4a7710276b2535b92530af204c.png
  • Blasting Discord into "ghost only mode"
  • Liking Cozy Glows "devious" plan to get the cmc into Twilight's school
  • Not thinking about how some of her actions will affect Trixie when on Their Little Road Trip

All in all I think she's a very interesting character to have on the show and is one of my favorite characters in the series.

*EDIT* Another thing to think about is that after Twilight's  "BUY-MY-NEW-PLAYSET" Castle™ first appeared, The map was like "Yeah, I'm kinda gonna need ALL of you to take care of something else that's sprouting up STAT!" 

Totalitarianism and/or creepy cults in the middle of nowhere usually don't end well. I also think that if Starlight's little town had been left alone and continued to grow that most of Equestria would have probably have drank Starlight's Kool-Aid quite willingly.

Would Celestia and Luna have been able to save the day? well my guess is probably not- as usual.

861144297_equalswastelandfinalsm.png.a720d8f2272ebfd8114d95cdaa79be86.png

But hey- we could have had this!! :mlp_laugh:  ...  :confused:

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 3

When I first saw Starlight in Season 5, she was meh to me. Then in Season 6, she was okay. but her character wasn't really all that impressive (though she does physically look attractive I gotta admit. lol). In Season 8, she's one of my top 10 favorite characters, possibly even top 5.

I never really hated Starlight Glimmer, though...

• Brohoof 2

Like her? I LOVE her! She's one of my all-time favorite characters! After her reformation, she shows her true potential to all of us like a redeemed hero. It's true she may not be perfect but despite everything, Starlight's one of my top 3 best MLP ponies.

Plus, I adore her human design. Her beanie makes a nice touch.

• Brohoof 3

She's become my new favorite character in the show. She managed to top Discord!

She's a very deep character and even though she's used the same way she doesn't feel like an engine for friendship lessons like a lot of the characters, including the main six.

I also like how her aptitude for magic pretty much dwarfs Twilight's. That's not really meant to be a dig at Twilight but it makes the show that much better now that she isn't the only pony capable of amazing magical feats.

• Brohoof 1

She's an awful person, and that makes her a great character. Her incredible selfishness is contrasted with her ability to put up with the likes of Trixie, and although her powers seem inconsistent to me, I still think she improves the show.

• Brohoof 1

well to try to get myself more active I feel it will be good to partake in these again and yeah I like starlight glimmer I love both her evil plans (as they are two of my favorite tropes) and I like the character she became afterward,I know her reformation was really rushed but honestly that doesn't bother me that much since I feel its really nothing new for the show anyway

Edited by Larrydog
  • Brohoof 2

Heh, I think saying I 'like' her is an understatement! Everything about her is great! She's been shown to be a kind of pony who, when trying to take an easy path, does it somewhat creatively. Like in 'Every Little Thing She Does', she uses a hypnosis spell, Fiducius Compelus, to mind control five ponies at once. I also liked how in 'School Daze', she stated to Twilight, 'I'm not gonna cheer you up. I'm gonna tell you what you did wrong', and smacks the EEA book into the pond. She is a total BRO(nette?), and is willing to get the mane character through whatever troubles they might be facing. And Starlight's raised eyebrow implied she was NOT gonna let Rainbow's 'supervillain tracker' comment slide, it was glorious!

File:Starlight Glimmer raising an eyebrow S7E26.png

It's like when Fluttershy told Rainbow Dash 'Your winter is going to be....petless.'  She had to help a friend face reality, and I LOVE that. It shows real character development! She's the pony with good humor, development, and logical solutions. Like....not messing with Star Swirl's spell, which she tried to suggest, being the one with common sense. 

Not to mention, she's....she's hot. x3 

Edited by Loyal Defender

• 2 weeks later...

She’s a “meh” character. Good introduction but bad execution for her being “reformed”. Her backstory for becoming evil was complete BS. Not to mention everyone forgiving her right away was beyond stupid. “Oh, you tried to change history which could have lead to the destruction of the world just because you wanted revenge? No problem! Wanna be friends?” *facepalm*

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 2

I like Starlight from her evil days to the reform.    She brings in a sense of realism as weird as it might be for a show about ponies!   

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

She did not try to kill anyone, she tried to recover her life and her village, all she had.
It was not her fault that Mane Six were so reluctant to new cultures and philosophies.

I have ALWAYS loved Starlight Glimmer! I remember the first time she was introduced as a villain, and I absolutely fell in love with her.

As a reformed character, I like her even more. Her flaws make her seem that much more ‘human’ (or pony?). Plus, I absolutely love her friendship with Trixie. :wub:

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

She is one pf my favorite characters, she has some issues and it makes her loveable. As a villain she was amazing, and while I was disappointed that she was reformed, as a reformed character she did not disappoint.  

Cirrus.  put it the best way possible, great character analysis.