Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should G5 have a more serialized story structure than G4?

Plonkett

Since G4 has been an episodic TV series with some serialized elements, do you think G5 should instead be a fully serialized series? I mean being more like shows such as Avatar: The Last Airbender and Steven Universe.

Edited by vgmaster9

That is a good question. After season 2, there was usually a foreshadowing it the season finally. Season 3 Starswirl’s book seen at the end of the season premier. Season 4 had the magic chest. Season 5 had the return of Starlight (you can see her hiding in a couple episodes). Season 7 wasn’t foreshadowed until the episode before the finale.

I'm not going to call children stupid but having a 5-year old try to watch a show in the middle of a season and try to understand what is going on is not going to end well. They're most likely going to change the channel to something else. It works in shows like Avatar because it's intended for much older children.

Edited by Twilight Luna

If it's not a do-over on the general themes and tone of Friendship is Magic, it doesn't really matter to me what the next show is like. In general I'm fond of the current show's format, so all I'd really want to change is for the next show to be willing to take more risks, be more aware of its own limitations, and be a little more consistent. Some kind of serialized adventure could be fun on its own, but I'm not invested in the adventurous or dramatic aspects of My Little Pony, so I wouldn't guarantee that I'd watch that show. 

Honestly, part of what I like about MLP is that it's more episodic, and I hope G5 keeps that aspect. I would much rather be able to understand each episode going in if I don't watch it in the order it airs, and I'd much rather avoid having to wait for what happens next after every episode. I

8 hours ago, Dusk Noire said:

Honestly, part of what I like about MLP is that it's more episodic, and I hope G5 keeps that aspect. I would much rather be able to understand each episode going in if I don't watch it in the order it airs, and I'd much rather avoid having to wait for what happens next after every episode. I

Good point, but the entire show doesn't have to be the plot. Each individual season can have its own plot, just like the Harry Potter books.

11 hours ago, Twilight Luna said:

That is a good question. After season 2, there was usually a foreshadowing it the season finally. Season 3 Starswirl’s book seen at the end of the season premier. Season 4 had the magic chest. Season 5 had the return of Starlight (you can see her hiding in a couple episodes). Season 7 wasn’t foreshadowed until the episode before the finale.

I'm not going to call children stupid but having a 5-year old try to watch a show in the middle of a season and try to understand what is going on is not going to end well. They're most likely going to change the channel to something else. It works in shows like Avatar because it's intended for much older children.

That's a reasonable concern. It would indeed be inconvenient for them to their first episode to watch that includes a big reveal that was built up to in prior episodes.

• 2 years later...