Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hurricane Florence

Creamy Arty

On 9/16/2018 at 9:56 AM, TransitPony said:

Has anyone felt like this hurricane was over-hyped by the media? Because Florence wasn't as devastating as it seemed to be.

32 people (so far) are still dead because of this hurricane. And they could have been anyone. And Florence was “hyped” up because when it was heading to the coast it was an absurdly huge storm. The fact that it died down some by the time it hit was not a guarantee.

Better to be safe than sorry.

• Brohoof 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, TransitPony said:

Has anyone felt like this hurricane was over-hyped by the media? Because Florence wasn't as devastating as it seemed to be.

That's a dangerous way of looking at things, and if you've seen what the flood waters have done, then I doubt you'd be saying that.

It's better to overestimate the strength of such a storm than it is to underhype it. While the winds weren't as strong as they could've been, the storm surge and flooding have been quite horrible with NC state officials telling motorists to avoids entire interstates and hundreds of roads affected; even an entire town's been cut off.

So yeah; it's still QUITE bad at this point.

• Brohoof 3

For those who were either involved in or recall Hurricane Harvey over Houston last year, the high winds were bad enough, but worse still, remember Harvey sat over Houston and dumped rain for days resulting in overall damage equal to 2005's Hurricane Katrina (if you believe Wikipedia's word for it).  So I say, get the word out as much as you can!  Hype or no hype, what matters is the cost in lives.  Take a good look at Typhoon Mangkhut wrecking into China.  When it comes to tornadoes, hurricanes, and typhoons (the latter of these two are the same thing with different names), I would much rather see the words of warning everywhere than nowhere.  

That's one reason earthquakes have such destructive potential; no one knows they're coming.  When it hits, it hits whether you and yours are ready or not. 

I say, may the hype trains continue to run long into the night... 

Honor and fun,

Summer Hurricane, er, Storm! =)

• Brohoof 3

On 9/15/2018 at 3:05 AM, Admiral Regulus said:

As a Florida resident:

Why do Virginia and the Carolinas get to have all the fun? Hurricanes are supposed to be ours; come on, send us some too! We're waiting!

You sound like some little kid who's used to being picked on when he's standing behind his big brother as he stares down the bullies.

On 9/16/2018 at 10:56 AM, TransitPony said:

The Carolinas got wrecked.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, Tropical Melody said:

Gales forecast for UK next 3 days, tail end of Florence?

Possibly. I live in central Virginia and we were spared the hurricane, but yesterday as it was dying it caused severe storms and a few tornados to spawn up here. One person was killed downtown when a tornado dropped his roof and another drowned farther north due to flooding when his car was trapped in a sinkhole.

Florence was a bitch. The hurricane itself stayed firmly over the Carolinas but greatly distorted the weather around it as it fizzled. You might be experiencing leftovers there, but a few days ago I heard something about a belt of storms around the world comparable to Florence. And check this out:

FE25C405-DFB1-4CB5-A2C3-1220BC14969C.jpeg

We were expecting to get a bad storm in Upstate South Carolina, but it just fizzled out Sunday. People around here acted like they usually do when they hear about severe weather, by clearing out the bread, milk, bottled water, etc.

tyKRmb8.jpg

...and this is as bad as it got here.

hlOXoiw.jpg

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, zombienixon said:

We were expecting to get a bad storm in Upstate South Carolina, but it just fizzled out Sunday. People around here acted like they usually do when they hear about severe weather, by clearing out the bread, milk, bottled water, etc.

People did that up here in North Carolina as well, a lot Southerners do. All the water, bread, and milk were gone as well as the tarps. People were all over the place when they heard Florence was coming. It didn't hit hard for my area though, only a few branches here and there fell, and a little rain.

Edited by EpicEnergy

36 minutes ago, Sondash Studios said:

Well, thank God were okay. Found out that Charlotte wasn't hit that bad as the other cities in NC. I can't belive all the flooding they got!

I am really glad you are okay is the hurricane over?

• Brohoof 1

50 minutes ago, DJ Wonderbolt said:

The amount of flooding is off the charts.....

Ive been working near Wilmington,NC its still huge mess. Most roads are still impassable....

Stay safe. <3

• The topic was unfeatured
  • The topic was unpinned