Swoop

57 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This episode make me like Spike a lot more. He was very easy to relate to, and he wasn't turned into a jerk like a certain episode that involved an owl.

Also, I think the ponies WOULD have fought the dragons, but Spike running away kinda took away their resolve.

I'll give it a few hours tops before this episode is mixed with Skyrim in some way, shape or form.

As for the episode itself, I'm hard pressed to find one thing about this episode I didn't enjoy. First we have Fluttershy pretty much stealing the episode straight from the beginning (I see she still remembers some of Iron Will's techniques), followed by the numerous heartmelting and awwwww inducing moments between Spike, Rarity and Twilight. Rainbow Dash didn't really do anything this episode save for push Spike's buttons, though she still has her moments both funny and heartwarming.

The teenage dragon's seemed pretty cold hearted, even for bullies. I mean, raiding a pheonix nest, trying to kidnap the chicks, all before trying to smash the baby pheonix egg!?! I know they're dragons and all, but that seems cruel even for them. Though on the note of the bullies, does anyone else see a similarity between the purple dragon with blonde eye-covering bangs and the bullies who annoyed Dash in Sonic Rainboom? Same VA perhaps?

I especially liked Rarity in this episode. Not only did this episode slightly reinforce the SpikeXRarity ship, but it shows how much she truly cares for him. She nearly begged Dash to stop him when he was prepared to leave for the migration and at the thought of three teenage dragon's laying a claw on her little Spike, she was prepared to show them why you don't mess with a fashionista!

All in all, pretty much a perfect episode everyway I look at it.

Whilst I would have liked it if the dragons were a bit more fleshed out, instead of just being stereotypical jocks (heck we still don't know why they were migrating, though I think we can guess why), I still really liked this episode. Pretty much any interaction between Spike and Rarity is great - it's the probably the most complex and developed interpersonal relationship in the show (which, admittedly, isn't saying much).

Also I'm morally obliged to love any episode with copious amounts of Rarity in it. Because she's fabulous.

I am amazed how people are perplexed by Spike's reaction. Why would Spike be turned off by Rarity's attention? Because she was essentially EMASCULATING him!

Maybe all of you are big tough guys or girls, but let me give you the point of view of the little guy. There is no bigger turn off for a guy than for his woman to see him as weak. I've experienced this because I am only 5'6". I was once arguing with a guy much bigger than me and my gf had me back down because she was worried I might get hurt. I know she meant well but for her to think that I couldn't take him was a major turn off. We wound up arguing and not speaking to each other for the rest of the night.

In other words, Spike's reaction is perfectly normal.

Fair enough, except Spike had previously been tripping over himself to get Rarity's attention in any way possible. Not that your points aren't valid.

Wow. I'm not even sure how to react to this.

Posted Image

Seriously speaking, I don't know whether or not I should be complimented or concerned.

• Brohoof 1

i like they way they made the dragons. Dragons are crealy greedy creatures that only care for themsselves, and that is pobrably even worse when they are teenagers

i like they way they made the dragons. Dragons are crealy greedy creatures that only care for themsselves, and that is pobrably even worse when they are teenagers

• Brohoof 1

Well of course he'll set himself on fire. :P I just wonder if his parents will ever come looking for him...

Birds do not come back for their young if they have been touched by some/one/pony/dragon because they can no longer recognize them.

*sheds a single tear*

THIS

EPISODE

WAS

GLORIOUS

SPIKE, YOU HATH NOT FAILED ME

Spike is just...amazing. Secret of my Excess is probably in my top three of favourites. Plus, he gets one of the few canon shippings a la, RariSpike, and he's just generally very relatable, and in my opinion, one of the most interesting characters in the show.

And this episode...just...I was just WAITING for a real adventure-add-to-the-canon episode too! This episode is PERFECT on TWO LEVELS!

And oh God I lol'd so hard at the "Crackle's cousin" remark. Perfect joke, just...perfect.

And the soundtrack...I squee'd so bucking hard when I heard the guitar riffs. Dragons being metal is now canon.

Though something interesting about this episode...Rarity and Spike seem...closer. In fact, Rarity seems VERY active about protecting Spike, and is giving him a pet name and is constantly complimenting him. Not only is this development from Secret of my Excess...but...maybe it's...something more? Call me a shipper and explain that it was much more Mother-childy but...the community will be having fun with this one.

Oh, and lol, assertive Fluttershy. Development from THAT episode, yet NOT development from Dragonshy oddly.

And this episode shocked me with its Outcompetes-most-of-the-series-ness so much considering the last episode was a train wreck.

Edited by Indigo
  • Brohoof 2

Birds do not come back for their young if they have been touched by some/one/pony/dragon because they can no longer recognize them.

I was going to ask why didn't Spike make an effort to return the phoenix egg instead of keeping it,but this explains why.

I'm proud of Spike for not giving in to peer presure. For being a young dragon,Spike shows that he is more mature then the childish teen dragons,when he refused to smash the egg.

Is Spike a wingless type of dragon,or will he grow wings when he gets older?

Both Spike and the ponies could have avoided this fiasco,if they had thought to ask Celestia about Spike's orgin first. Will they write a letter asking Celestia to repeat her letter?

Was one of the phoenix parents Philomena,or were they both wild phoenixes?

I was going to ask why didn't Spike make an effort to return the phoenix egg instead of keeping it,but this explains why.

I'm proud of Spike for not giving in to peer presure. For being a young dragon,Spike shows that he is more mature then the childish teen dragons,when he refused to smash the egg.

Is Spike a wingless type of dragon,or will he grow wings when he gets older?

Both Spike and the ponies could have avoided this fiasco,if they had thought to ask Celestia about Spike's orgin first. Will they write a letter asking Celestia to repeat her letter?

Was one of the phoenix parents Philomena,or were they both wild phoenixes?

I was thinking that too. You'd think Twilight would have asked or been told where did the egg come from, and had done some research on dragons. Well there wasn't any previous research and I doubt she would take the risk of doing it by herself, but she certanly would have known that she wasn't gonna find any in her library. Atleast this clears up why she didn't know what was happening to spike in secret of my excess.

So yeah, she could just ask Celestia/the Academy. It's unlikely for her not to have done it before.

And also, don't you think Twilight would have seized the opportunity to do some research on dragons on her own, having the chance to see them up close in their natural enviroment?

Yeah, and I actually winced when RD started laughing at him. If I had been Spike, I would have probably reacted in the same way. Actually, Spike was really relatable in this episode.

For a show that is allegedly aimed towards "little girls", this was a very good treatment of a male character's identity problems.

I agree entirely. The whole time I was thinking, wow, this is really gonna be showing girls what it's like to grow up as a guy, especially the constant competition and proving you've got huevos to earn respect.

I really enjoyed this episode. The character interaction was fantastic, and I loved Spike's character development. Particularly his ability to stand up for himself against the "Too-Cool-to-Be-a-Pony-Friend" dragon club. He was so well-written here, and I adored his thorough feelings, from his pride to his frustration over Rainbow Dash's teasing to his close friendship with Rarity here. He was SO good in terms of writing here.

The opening was hilarious and clearly referenced "Putting Your Hoof Down." I LOL'd from Fluttershy's action.

The dynamic between Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Twilight Sparkle was great and funny. They retained their characterizations, yet shared the exact same concern for Spike. Very cleverly done.

Episodes like these are why Merriweather Williams was hired as a writer for this show. She definitely understands the grasp of characterization and great character development. One screw-up — "Mysterious Mare Do Well" — doesn't a bad writer make. She has a great résumé and DOES write well. "Putting Your Hoof Down" is a cleverly written episode that develops Fluttershy's personality and psyche. Now Spike is developed to a new level in "Dragon Quest," too. EXCELLENT episode!

P.S.: Baby phoenix pet FTW! :D