1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Compliment.

Excellent, Snake.

Oh, and lol, assertive Fluttershy. Development from THAT episode, yet NOT development from Dragonshy oddly.

That was a nice touch, too. I don't think we have seen much development from "Dragonshy" because Fluttershy's anger was spontaneous and not practiced as was the case with the Iron Will lessons. It makes sense that she is still afraid of dragons since, well, they're giant and breathe fire---or, more seriously speaking, because she didn't overcome her fear of them as much as she discovered bravery in the form of defending her friends.

• Brohoof 1

I loved that episode. Fluttershy running from Rainbow and out the window had me laughing so much. I wonder why Pinkie and Applejack didn't come along with them, also.

Oh yeah, and looks like Spike has a pet as well as the Mane 6 now!

Edited by TwilightRubix

I really enjoyed this episode. The character interaction was fantastic, and I loved Spike's character development. Particularly his ability to stand up for himself against the "Too-Cool-to-Be-a-Pony-Friend" dragon club. He was so well-written here, and I adored his thorough feelings, from his pride to his frustration over Rainbow Dash's teasing to his close friendship with Rarity here. He was SO good in terms of writing here.

The opening was hilarious and clearly referenced "Putting Your Hoof Down." I LOL'd from Fluttershy's action.

The dynamic between Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Twilight Sparkle was great and funny. They retained their characterizations, yet shared the exact same concern for Spike. Very cleverly done.

Episodes like these are why Merriweather Williams was hired as a writer for this show. She definitely understands the grasp of characterization and great character development. One screw-up — "Mysterious Mare Do Well" — doesn't a bad writer make. She has a great résumé and DOES write well. "Putting Your Hoof Down" is a cleverly written episode that develops Fluttershy's personality and psyche. Now Spike is developed to a new level in "Dragon Quest," too. EXCELLENT episode!

P.S.: Baby phoenix pet FTW! :D

I'm surprised to find that Merriwether wrote this one. Defenetely the best they've written (Seriously is Merriwether a girl or a guy?) so far. And I mean, Mysterious Mare Do Well had a dumb plot and I didn't feel like the characterization was correct in Putting your hoof down, although I did enjoy those two episodes at first, they were not so well written (But there are other episodes wich I never enjoyed very much, such as Owl's Well that end well or the recent its about time), and Hearth's Warming Eve was ok.

But this one really stands out, I'm yet to find any mayor flaws! It's an episode wich focuses very much on the characters, and it's truly great. I believe it's easy for many of us to identify with Spike in this episode, first anoyed of being considered weak and wanting to prove it otherwise, plus wanting to find out his true identity, only to find out that the "cool" way isn't the best or only way, and that he already has a family that loves him.

Yes, I do like this episode. And it was quite funny too

Finally got around to watching it.

Nice seeing a Spike-centered episode. Elaborating on lesser characters is always a win, especially ones as lesser-yet-still-important as Spike. Seeing more about how dragons work in the series is great, too.

Yeah, I know how it was going to end, it was obvious, but how it got to that end was awesome. Great writing, change of scenery. Interesting seeing phoenixes, and Cranky again. Continuity ftw.

I especially laughed at Crackle, the dragon that looked like the mane 6's costume.

• Brohoof 1

I really enjoyed this episode, the focus on spike was brilliant and (like many other guys here I suspect)I can relate to the whole "earning respect" & finding yourself topic of this episode. I seriously got annoyed when RD made fun of spike, I like RD, but she can be a real bit...mare from time to time.

Impressed with the continuity aswell, I really like that.

The fluttershy segment had me lol´ing hard, such a small thing as the wing twitch of knocked down RD really got to me :lol:

Every character in the show has had an outstanding episode dedicated to them, except Spike. Poor guy.

This one... wasn't quite up there, but I really liked it. It became a little slow in the impressing-the-teen-dragons scenes, but as a whole it was pretty darn fun to watch. And Spike's last line was a more perfect ending that anything I could have come up with.

Oh, and Crackle is best dragon.

post-9-0-96943800-1332043597_thumb.png

Edited by Pony Joe
  • Brohoof 2

Every character in the show has had an outstanding episode dedicated to them, except Spike. Poor guy.

This one... wasn't quite up there, but I really liked it. It became a little slow in the impressing-the-teen-dragons scenes, but as a whole it was pretty darn fun to watch. And Spike's last line was a more perfect ending that anything I could have come up with.

The funniest thing about him is that he has eight legs! I didn't notice that until the second time i watched it, and it made me laugh double.

Surprisingly, I found this episode really great. How the lesson of the episode was delivered was just right on spot, and it was well in relating to real-life scenarios.

It's also interesting in that this is probably the episode with the least amount of ponies and focusing on a new type of creature. I guess it was well planned all along from the very start where Spike is the main secondary character of the show. Awesome.

Poor Scootaloo hasn't had her episode :[

Apple Bloom has had a few, and even Sweetie Belle has had her own.

Crackle has 8 legs? Haha! The fun has been doubled! As for the issue of Spike's lack of wings, I give this screenshot from Cutie Mark Chronicles:

Posted Image

Spike is quite obviously meant to be wingless.

The other highlight of the episode is (of course) Rarity standing up for her Spike. The refined lady offering physical violence is just hilarious!

• Brohoof 3

Oh lookie another tear-jerker... nothing makes me cry more than the best episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and this episode was certainly no exception. The only one to make me cry more was Fluttershy with her assertiveness training **points to avatar**

Now theres a few things I thought I'd mention about this episode. First of all, I'd love to go with Fluttershy to see a Butterfly Migration :D Butterflies are awesome :P Next, at around 7 minutes, fourty eight seconds in; Cranky Doodle Donkey on a raft. I'm sure somepony else probably mentioned this, but I am not going read all 5 pages right now :P Nexxt, just after Cranky, we have the two Phoenix' that appear later on in the episode. I spotted them the first time 'round and was all "OMG!!! MORE PHOENIX'!" and was very pleased when they appeared with a greater role later on. Spike now having his own pet phoenix is almost the most epic thing that could happen... The most epic would be if Fluttershy were to have the phoenix :P Also, this family of Phonix' MUST be related to Philomena, cause they are just as trollish as she was XD I want a pet phoenix, anypony know where I can get one?

I liked the episode, I wouldn't say its one of my favorites though, spike is one for the characters who I feel has really stayed true to his character through out season 2, sadly I cannot say the same about all the characters COUGH RAINBOW DASH COUGH

Birds do not come back for their young if they have been touched by some/one/pony/dragon because they can no longer recognize them.

This is actually a common misconception - birds rather you didn't handle their eggs and chicks, but they won't reject them if you do.

I think it's more a case of it being rather difficult returning the egg to the phoenixes, since there are some angry dragons in the way, and the phoenixes themselves are likely to be rather hostile.

I was okay with this episode up until the ending. And I mean the VERY ending.

I laughed a lot at some of the scenes throughout this EP, and it was definitely great to get an episode about spike for a change! The bully dragons were played out wonderfully, and the dragon disguise was a great touch to this episode.

My only beef with this episode, however, is the Phoenix Egg dilemma.

Spike didn't crush it, and his reasoning for not crushing the egg were completely justifiable and correct. It is just a harmless egg, and it was not doing anything to anyone.

My problem with this now is that he KEEPS the egg and makes the baby his PET.

So I got a mixed message at the end. Yes be yourself and don't worry about who you think you're supposed to be.

And you can completely disagree with me when I say this, but the only thing going through my head at the moment he kept the egg and it hatched, was that it's OKAY to kidnap.

I dunno. That's my view on this episode.

Loved it! The ending some how screwed it up for me though. :unsure:

Edited by Matackable
  • Brohoof 1

I liked how there was a small segment of Phoenixs vs. Dragons.

P.S Let me at those dragons. They'll all have some teeth missin' and scales ripped out.

Edited by Dusk

I was okay with this episode up until the ending. And I mean the VERY ending.

I laughed a lot at some of the scenes throughout this EP, and it was definitely great to get an episode about spike for a change! The bully dragons were played out wonderfully, and the dragon disguise was a great touch to this episode.

My only beef with this episode, however, is the Phoenix Egg dilemma.

Spike didn't crush it, and his reasoning for not crushing the egg were completely justifiable and correct. It is just a harmless egg, and it was not doing anything to anyone.

So I got a mixed message at the end. Yes be yourself and don't worry about who you think you're supposed to be.

And you can completely disagree with me when I say this, but the only thing going through my head at the moment he kept the egg and it hatched, was that it's OKAY to kidnap.

I dunno. That's my view on this episode.

Loved it! The ending some how screwed it up for me though. :unsure:

Well he didn't really have much chance to give it back. The phoenixes had run away and he was being chased by dragons. I think it's probably the best he could do.

Besides, think about it, if you ended up with a wild bird's egg in similar circumstances, the last thing you'd think about would be to chase the parents and give it back. You might try to put it back in the nest (wich is on top of a huge tree), but nobody says the parents will return, or that some predator will eat before they do. Taking it home was probably the best thing to do in that situation

• Brohoof 3

This is actually a common misconception

Exactly, its a common misconception. Meaning, they are going to follow the misconception, instead of the truth.

The thing is, What isn't a myth is that phoenixes will relocate of the nest is disturbed. Meaning, since the phoenixes are long gone, Spike will have to take care of the phoenix.

Well he didn't really have much chance to give it back. The phoenixes had run away and he was being chased by dragons. I think it's probably the best he could do.

Besides, think about it, if you ended up with a wild bird's egg in similar circumstances, the last thing you'd think about would be to chase the parents and give it back. You might try to put it back in the nest (wich is on top of a huge tree), but nobody says the parents will return, or that some predator will eat before they do. Taking it home was probably the best thing to do in that situation

See, I thought of this too. I even put myself in a similar situation. It's just that to put this kind of situation in a children's cartoon, where the audience can be very impressionable, I think they could have executed that scenario a bit differently. Like, I don't mind it much because I'm as civilized as the next guy. I'm not going to assume that because the show portrays it in a certain way that it's totally okay to just go out and take some creatures baby without feeling any kind of moral remorse, but children can't interpret that very well. They might look at this the wrong way and not really look at the circumstances in which Spike and the others were put in.

That's really my main gripe with it.

I was thinking that too. You'd think Twilight would have asked or been told where did the egg come from, and had done some research on dragons. Well there wasn't any previous research and I doubt she would take the risk of doing it by herself, but she certanly would have known that she wasn't gonna find any in her library. Atleast this clears up why she didn't know what was happening to spike in secret of my excess.

So yeah, she could just ask Celestia/the Academy. It's unlikely for her not to have done it before.

Yes, but that would have made this a horribly boring episode.
  • Brohoof 1

Posted Image

When the phoenix father did this attack:

Posted Image

Any DBZ fans think of this?

Posted Image

Solar Flare!!

Apparently someone on youtube did, lol:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rYnMFBfPDE

• Brohoof 4