57 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

This doesn't just pertain to this episode but I feel Spike is very unappreciated at the beginning of this episode. Despite all of the hard work Spike does to help the Mane 6 they all openly call him childish and basically "not a dragon". It would be one thing if Spike didn't care but if i recall he was sincerely offended yet Rainbow Dash still mocked him. Even when Rarity attempted to defend him it turned into a different form of the same problem.

I also kind of wonder... sure Spike looks like a child but isn't he only like a few years younger than Twilight? He was hatched when she was a filly so the difference probably isn't more than 5 years. I've talked about this with other Bronies and they say that it doesn't matter because dragons live longer so he's still a child to dragons. I see why that would be but if a dragon was 80 years old yet looked 5 years younger than me, I would still respect him for his age. I might not treat him like an old man but I wouldn't treat him like a child. My main issue is that they treat him like a child and offend him when in reality he is more of a teenager in age comparison.

Also, I think Spike has a lot more common sense than most of the Mane 6 a lot of the time. By common sense I mean rationality, in Lesson Zero the entire issue could have been avoided if Twilight had taken Spike's advice seriously. But she didn't MAINLY because she has an issue but I feel his position as assistant didn't help his case at all. Hell Spike pretty much solved the problem on his own when he talk to Celestia. There are plenty other examples of when Spike should have stopped the problem but couldn't because of how the Mane 6 viewed him as a child who shouldn't be taken seriously.

Edited by Twinight125
  • Brohoof 3

I agree, hes not very appreciated, but then again he isn't really the main character. I think they could do a better job of not ignoring him. The friendship is witchcraft series parodies this because they make all the characters hate spike xD.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I see your point. And true, yet there is the complication trying to figure out the aging ration of dragons to ponies. In my book, I'd say when the mane 6 got their cutie marks, they were all about 6-9, and, of course, Spike was just born. At his age in the current timeline of canon events (at this point, right after the wedding), I'd say hit still makes sense that at this point, a dragon would still be considered a baby (further proved by the fact that Fluttershy and Twilight called him a baby, in the Season 1 pilot and Lesson Zero respectively, and those shouldn't be that too far apart in the timeline).

I also think that he somewhat shows some well-developed maturity, as, like you said, his ability to deal with situations, sometimes even better than Twilight's friends. Thing is, Spike has been friends as long as the others have, but Spike's been with Twi since the start, having their own friendships been developed strongly over time to the point where Twilight first arrived in Ponyville.

In his depiction in the series as a whole, I would say generally he is somewhat underrated as a character, and possibly the most important excluding the mane 6 and Celestia. The developers are probably just using him aside, as they would with background/supporting characters, but see Spike is much more recurring, and has a ton of screentime and lines.

Oh, and also, seeing as Pewee is a new pet introduced towards the end of the second season, I'd think we will see more of both of them in Season 3.

Edited by One Reliable Gamer (NF160)
  • Brohoof 1

I agree, hes not very appreciated, but then again he isn't really the main character. I think they could do a better job of not ignoring him. The friendship is witchcraft series parodies this because they make all the characters hate spike xD.

I see what you mean by him not being the main character. I think he gets a decent amount of time but I just feel the time he IS on the show involves him giving the right answer and then being ignored or made fun of. Dragon Quest was a prime example of that.

I see what you mean by him not being the main character. I think he gets a decent amount of time but I just feel the time he IS on the show involves him giving the right answer and then being ignored or made fun of. Dragon Quest was a prime example of that.

To be honest, spike as a character is there just to give contrast to the ponies which is why you see spike giving a lot of right answers but being ignored.

(edited)

I also think that he somewhat shows some well-developed maturity, as, like you said, his ability to deal with situations, sometimes even better than Twilight's friends. Thing is, Spike has been friends as long as the others have, but Spike's been with Twi since the start, having their own friendships been developed strongly over time to the point where Twilight first arrived in Ponyville.

That's why I don't see how Spike tends to be ignored by Twilight when out of anyone she should talk about her problems with it should be the one who has been there most of her life. I suppose her hatching him would effect that but i see her as more of an older sister than a mother so I don't think age should be as big of a problem.

To be honest, spike as a character is there just to give contrast to the ponies which is why you see spike giving a lot of right answers but being ignored.

That sounds like your talking with the view of Spike as a story piece. If so then I do agree with what you say. I just feel Spike in the MLP world should be more respected than he is. Obviously if everyone listened to Spike when he says the clear answer there wouldn't be much of a show now would there?

But if it was realistic I would think Spike would try a little harder to be taken seriously and try to earn the respect he deserves. If anything Twilight would at least see him as more than just a child considering his maturity.

Edited by Twinight125

That's why I don't see how Spike tends to be ignored by Twilight when out of anyone she should talk about her problems with it should be the one who has been there most of her life. I suppose her hatching him would effect that but i see her as more of an older sister than a mother so I don't think age should be as big of a problem.

That sounds like your talking with the view of Spike as a story piece. If so then I do agree with what you say. I just feel Spike in the MLP world should be more respected than he is. Obviously if everyone listened to Spike when he says the clear answer there wouldn't be much of a show now would there?

But if it was realistic I would think Spike would try a little harder to be taken seriously and try to earn the respect he deserves. If anything Twilight would at least see him as more than just a child considering his maturity.

Well he is suppose to be a baby even though he doesn't really act like it. The only thing I think they should change is things like in the BBBFF song when she said she had no other friends when she really had spike etc. Things like that shouldn't happen, but other then that I think the position spike is in now is fine.

(edited)

Well he is suppose to be a baby even though he doesn't really act like it. The only thing I think they should change is things like in the BBBFF song when she said she had no other friends when she really had spike etc. Things like that shouldn't happen, but other then that I think the position spike is in now is fine.

Well he's a baby by dragon standards but in pony years (I assume) and maturity he might be around a teenager.(Maybe I don't recall many if any teenage style ponies in the 13-15 age area) I don't think Spike is in a BAD position as it could be a lot worse. I just feel he could be given a bit of a more serious role considering how Hasbro has made him much more mature than a simple baby.

One thing that makes me think of how different he is from a child is almost every CMC related episode. The CMC are the prime example of childhood naivety. They act immature (I suppose that's what you could call it?) and still have to learn about life. Spike on the other hand is often seen giving advice to the Mane 6 (Twilight in particular) which is usually the best form of action unless it's pure comical. He is also able to maintain a job(technically) and actually excel at it. Spike seems to have some connection to Princess Celestia when he isn't on screen as well. My point now is that while he is much more mature and superior than the obvious child characters he is treated unequally when he does a lot of similar things in basic life and is literally connected to royalty.

As for the problem of him not being included in scenes where he is basically forgotten... That also annoys me but my main issue is that when he IS shown it is at a far lesser level of respect than he deserves.

On a random note I am loving this conversation. ^^

Edited by Twinight125

Totally agree, Spike could definitely use more love. I think the underappreciation thing is supposed to be more of an in-joke than anything though, especially at the end of Dragon Quest when they show that picture of the Mane 6 he taped himself onto and stuff like that. :lol:

Totally agree, Spike could definitely use more love. I think the underappreciation thing is supposed to be more of an in-joke than anything though, especially at the end of Dragon Quest when they show that picture of the Mane 6 he taped himself onto and stuff like that. :lol:

That scene actually annoyed me. I might be acting a little pessimistic but when I see that I think, "So they consider him part of the "family" but don't care enough to put him in the damn family photo?!" I saw it as more sad than funny yet still amusing. :mellow:

• Brohoof 1

Spike plays an interesting role in the show. He acts as both a comic relief character and as a voice of reason/support. It's this combination that makes it seem like he's an "abused dragon" and whatnot, because he'll fulfill one role in a scene only for the other to shine through.

• Brohoof 1

Spike plays an interesting role in the show. He acts as both a comic relief character and as a voice of reason/support. It's this combination that makes it seem like he's an "abused dragon" and whatnot, because he'll fulfill one role in a scene only for the other to shine through.

That's what his point in the plot is. It makes me sad still though.

I said I Don't Think So... because I never really thought about that, I noticed it, but I just thought they were joking around. Now that I've thought about that, I think I'm actually going to change it.

Spike seems rather unappreciated in most episodes where he's featured. He does all the cleaning, he does all the errands. The others poke fun at him sometimes (as is shown in Dragon Quest), and he's probably done more for Twilight than any other of the Mane 6 have. I suppose that's expected of him, as he's supposed to be Twilight's assistant, but c'mon...assistants need some appreciation too. Just a thank-you every now and then would be nice.

• Brohoof 1

It's because he has no special talent of his own and he isn't needed.

he has a talent he stands the letters to celestia

he has a talent he stands the letters to celestia

Sends not stands

I think he is un appreciated but that doesn't mean they don't love him he just doesn't get enough credit

Spike seems rather unappreciated in most episodes where he's featured. He does all the cleaning, he does all the errands. The others poke fun at him sometimes (as is shown in Dragon Quest), and he's probably done more for Twilight than any other of the Mane 6 have. I suppose that's expected of him, as he's supposed to be Twilight's assistant, but c'mon...assistants need some appreciation too. Just a thank-you every now and then would be nice.

And imagine how he must have felt in owls well that end well were he basically got replaced

(edited)

Under-appreciated perhaps, but I think the only reason that happens is because people begin to take his actions for granted. Most of the time he goes head over heels to do things for Twilight and the others when they're with Twilight, ergo 'Best Assistant Ever'. That's great, but after a while they begin to take the fact that he's always there, always being the chore boy for granted, and that's when things like making fun of him kicks in. Even given that though, for the most part, Spike is very easy-going, and hard to make truly upset. Even when Flutterbitch dumped water on him, woke him up, insulted him, and continued to harass Twilight and the others in Return of Harmony Part 2, he still wasn't particularly 'angry'. He was just like 'Okay Twilight, I better go clean upstairs now, so I'll seeya~ *get's tripped by Flutterbitch, and still doesn't really do anything*"

If he was more independent and had some more 'No, I'm busy, I'll do your stuff later' in him, I doubt that would happen. But he seems to either ignore or pass off the jokes made at him without care, so, they casually keep coming now and again. Sometimes people don't know they're hurting your feelings until you make it apparent to them, and this is especially true for people like Spike, who NEVER seem to tell you that what you're saying is hurting their feelings. So yes, I do think there is a level of underappreciating and being taken for granted going around, but in some ways, those could be avoided if Spike spoke out against the others when they say things.

Note: I'm not saying Spike has no backbone or bashing him, but this is not a one-way street in which people can just blame everyone else, because he could be doing stuff about it, in my mind.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~

Note: I'm not saying Spike has no backbone or bashing him, but this is not a one-way street in which people can just blame everyone else, because he could be doing stuff about it, in my mind.

Well from what I see he did do something by leaving to find out what it means to be a real dragon. My main problem now is that the Mane Six never learned their lesson about treating Spike with respect even after he freaking left regardless of wither or not they went to help him.

Well from what I see he did do something by leaving to find out what it means to be a real dragon. My main problem now is that the Mane Six never learned their lesson about treating Spike with respect even after he freaking left regardless of wither or not they went to help him.

I'm talking in general, not just this episode ;)