Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Episode 200. Whaddya wanna see?

ManaMinori

Sooo, now that season 8 of FiM has been aired and ended in some countries (Thank you, Aus), it's only a matter of time until FiM's 200th episode, which takes place very early on into season 9, which would likely air around April or May 2019. Whaddya guys wanna see, or expect?

I- and many others- have wondered what exactly is in store for this milestone episode. While episode 100, “Slice of Life” paid homage to the fanbase that made g4 what it was, I feel like the 200th should take a page from Greg’s Anatomy’s milestone 300, with paid homage to the original cast members and the ones who got the ball rolling- not just with FiM, but the pony franchise as a whole. Lauren Faust could be given mention as an “Omnicorn” an achieved state of higher alicorn, and one who even Starswirl acknowledges was greater than himself, but who exists between dimensions. Bonnie Zacherle, the creator of g1 could lend her voice to a character and be given an appearance also, along with Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman. Perhaps, rather than the standard 22 minutes, it could be twice the length and also incorporate the perma-return of Sunset Shimmer, for a blend of ‘oldschool and new’.

• Brohoof 4

I'd rather it actually be an actual celebration of the show instead of a huge fandom meme wankfest that only serves to inflate the fandom's already bloated ego

• Brohoof 4

22 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Sooo, now that season 8 of FiM has been aired and ended in some countries (Thank you, Aus), it's only a matter of time until FiM's 200th episode, which takes place very early on into season 9, which would likely air around April or May 2019. Whaddya guys wanna see, or expect?

I- and many others- have wondered what exactly is in store for this milestone episode. While episode 100, “Slice of Life” paid homage to the fanbase that made g4 what it was, I feel like the 200th should take a page from Greg’s Anatomy’s milestone 300, with paid homage to the original cast members and the ones who got the ball rolling- not just with FiM, but the pony franchise as a whole. Lauren Faust could be given mention as an “Omnicorn” an achieved state of higher alicorn, and one who even Starswirl acknowledges was greater than himself, but who exists between dimensions. Bonnie Zacherle, the creator of g1 could lend her voice to a character and be given an appearance also, along with Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman. Perhaps, rather than the standard 22 minutes, it could be twice the length and also incorporate the perma-return of Sunset Shimmer, for a blend of ‘oldschool and new’.

I like both your ideas, just not together and certainly not twice the length.

Repeating the 100th episode idea would be really cheap IMO.

Maybe a whole Celestia/Luna episode? We got pretty close with "A Royal Problem", and Celestia herself has certainly gotten a bit more attention the last two seasons, but we still don't have an entire episode just about them, start to finish. Might be a good chance for episode 200, they could even make it a flashback episode about when they were younger, toss in some lore in there too.

Alternatively, I think one of the writers once mentioned they wanted to do a whole episode from a villain's point of view, so that could also make a fun 200th episode.

• Brohoof 1

To bring back some of the voice artists from earlier generations would be difficult--not impossible in some cases--but the question is whether Hasbro would be willing to shell out the money for it. I suspect that they might be willing to rehash 'Slice of Life' again only make it more coherent as opposed to what we got with episode 100 or perhaps they could just focus on Twilight and the rest of the Mane Six and have them reflect upon everything that has happened to them since they first met. I know the Mane Six have had tons of personal moments like this but this would be extra special.

1 hour ago, This Whomps said:

I'd rather it actually be an actual celebration of the show instead of a huge fandom meme wankfest that only serves to inflate the fandom's already bloated ego

And Slice of Life is one of the best episodes of the show. B)

That said, @DonMaguz has a point. Repeating SoL for the 200th is just a cheap and lazy way to recreate it without any of the charm. It's its own thing; leave it at that.

What I'd like to see are the following:

1. Bon Bon and Lyra doing investigative work, a reference to Bon Bon's old occupation, while also managing their time together. S8 showed a LOT of cameos of both of them together (including sharing H&HD together), and with S9 possibly being its last, why not canonize them being a couple.
  2. A reversal of F&M. Rather than attack the critics, why not have the M8 go to meta territory and poke fun at their out-of-character moments, lapses of judgment, some of the worst lines they ever said, Spike getting the short end of the stick till lately, and make it funny? Go the Rodney Dangerfield route with self-deprecating humor via one-liners.
  3. This one may be the most plausible: a villain episode. S9 content ahead:
    Spoiler

Sombra and Grogar will appear in the premiere. Tirek and Cozy become a stone/stained-glass statue, and who knows if they return to normal or not. Chryssie's out there somewhere. If this is the case, maybe a villain-centric episode in a lighthearted, humorous sense. That said, I don't know if we'll have a Villain 6 or just a collection or one at all if Episode 200's a villain.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

I simply want it to impress me, not that I haven't been impressed before by other episodes. I would like for it to have a surprising moment.

Here are a few ideas, but I don't care if they are actually added.

1) Give the episode an allegorical meaning.

2) Generate a meme.

3) Reference the human world.

4) Starlight with wings!!! ForgaLorga would approve.

5) Daybreaker reference or appearance.

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 3

Hmmm, just an idea: The whole episode with Starlight in the main role. Other characters also would appear, however I don't know still what adventure they would be doing. :mlp_huh:

On 9/12/2018 at 2:20 AM, cuteycindyhoney said:

I liked episode 100. I don't understand why people didn't like it, because it catered to the fans.

The problem with the episode, at least to me, is that it catered too much to the fans. Heck, the episode barely works if it had starred completely original characters rather than everyone's favorite background ponies. 

Edited by Sun Wukong
  • Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Sun Wukong said:

The problem with the episode, at least to me, is that it catered too much to the fans. Heck, the episode barely works if it had stared completely original characters rather than everyone's favorite background ponies. 

From what I've read on different forums (not just this one) , over the years, the fandom made a huge point of demanding that certain characters be named what the fans had named them, and that certain characters should do specific things as seen in fan fictions. When the show gave in and made one stand alone episode as a gift to the very demanding  fan base, these same fans all turned on the creators and complained about them pandering to the fans. I always felt that was strange. Don't all shows pander to their fans. If they didn't, they'd have no fans. Aside from that, I loved the episode and thought it great fun!

• Brohoof 2

Just now, cuteycindyhoney said:

From what I've read on different forums (not just this one) , over the years, the fandom made a huge point of demanding that certain characters be named what the fans had named them, and that certain characters should do specific things as seen in fan fictions. When the show gave in and made one stand alone episode as a gift to the very demanding  fan base, these same fans all turned on the creators and complained about them pandering to the fans. 

Uh no. While it's true that certain parts of the fandom were very vocal about how their ideas should be canon, those were not the same people who complained about Slice of life. If anything, those were the people who dismissed all the criticisms of the episode with "it's a gift to the fandom, guys".  

3 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Don't all shows pander to their fans. If they didn't, they'd have no fans

Even if this were true, not all shows pander to the same extant. I mean, a few nods to the fandom here and there is alright but a whole episode is just too much.  

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, Sun Wukong said:

Uh no. While it's true that certain parts of the fandom were very vocal about how their ideas should be canon, those were not the same people who complained about Slice of life. If anything, those were the people who dismissed all the criticisms of the episode with "it's a gift to the fandom, guys".  

Even if this were true, not all shows pander to the same extant. I mean, a few nods to the fandom here and there is alright but a whole episode is just too much.  

Well, I liked it. I smiled through the whole thing. I loved the Bon-Bon secret agent thing, and how Vinyl and Octavia have their house split right down the middle. Derpy got to talk again, and while not Doctor Whooves, I liked what they did with Time Turner. he was like a mad cross between the Doctor, and Dr. Emmet Brown. I hope other fans don't get mad at me, but I hope to see similar things in episode 200!

• Brohoof 2

I feel like something to do with the Mean 6 clones would catch my attention, otherwise i feel like that as long as a good writer handles it, we'll get a good episode, possibly better than good.

Maybe episode 200 should be the final episode as far as I want it to be. It would be a perfect number for a send off for the show. Thought that would mean we would only get about 7 episodes in season 9.

17 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Well, I liked it. I smiled through the whole thing. I loved the Bon-Bon secret agent thing, and how Vinyl and Octavia have their house split right down the middle. Derpy got to talk again, and while not Doctor Whooves, I liked what they did with Time Turner. he was like a mad cross between the Doctor, and Dr. Emmet Brown. I hope other fans don't get mad at me, but I hope to see similar things in episode 200!

While I do appreciate the love letter the writers gave us with Slice of Life, I’d actually like something with more substance. Could be Lyra and Bon Bon as protagonists, but something more focused and not so many fandom nods and memes thrown in, maybe with a bat or two, as they are long overdue