Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Isabelle joins the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Roster

Luigi

Hello, everypony!

So if you follow Smash, the entire gaming community was waiting a week longer than expected due to the earthquake in Japan to see who character number 68 would be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. And now we have our answer.

This is Isabelle. She comes from Animal Crossing New Leaf, where the player becomes the town's new mayor, and Isabelle will be the player's assistant. In the previous installment which was Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, she was an assist trophy. She is now the third Assist Trophy to be promoted to a playable fighter. The previous two being Little Mac and Dark Samus. 

What are your thoughts about Isabelle's debut in Super Smash Bros? Personally, I don't play Animal Crossing anymore, but I still care for the franchise and I will use her.

• Brohoof 1

Some people predicted that Isabelle would become a playable character due to the fact that her Assist Trophy has been absent thus far. While she's not an Echo Fighter, she is a semi-clone of Villager due to sharing some of the same moves but also having her own unique attacks. Of course, Nintendo aren't very subtle when it comes to surprises as it was pretty obvious that this trailer would be Super Smash Bros. related--also Animal Crossing related.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, SaburoDaimando said:

Also, consider this.  This is the third Assist Trophy character to be promoted to Playable.  There may be other AT characters who have yet to show their face in Smash.

WALUIGI CONFIRMED?

That would be great, but I really want a few more unexpected characters to be put in, like maybe Rabbid Mario and Rabbid Luigi. But, nonetheless, Shadow and Skull Kid could make for great candidates for lighter fighters. (AND WALUIGI!)

I've never played an Animal Crossing game, so I really don't care.

She's cute, but she doesn't seem that all unique.

If they were looking for another character to represent Animal Crossing, they could've gone with the main "villain" of the games
Tom Nook.

When I first saw her as an assist trophy in Smash 4 I was pretty happy they included her since she is my favorite character next to Alice, and Goldie. Though this caught me off guard, I was expecting a trailer for a new Animal Crossing game, and got this instead.... then an announcement for the next game in the series... when that comes I'll be all over it... assuming I have a Switch by then. I'm looking forward to seeing her in the next Smash game, this is already making it hard for me to pick a main since both my original Melee mains are in this game as well as my Brawl mains.

• Brohoof 1

I gotta say, it was a little unexpected, but given that the Villagers are there I suppose it shouldn't come as too big a surprise. I wonder why Isabelle is suddenly becoming the 'face' of the AC games. Whatever happened to K.K. Slider? :mlp_huh:

Still, another name to add to an already stacked roster. Can't complain too much about that. ^_^

• Brohoof 2

Upon looking at her smash trailer, she just seems like Villager, but more generic and a little lighter. It seems to me like she will likely be a lower tier character in competitive also, because from what I saw the hitbox on her side smash is a bit small and she seems to lack damage output. But maybe the hitboxes will be proportionally larger than the model for her side smash, and maybe the output she does have is high enough to make her lack of damage tools work.

In other words, I'm still going to be a Yoshi main, though I may play Young Link (FINALLY they put him back in... Yes, he always was VERY different from Toon Link) and King K. Rool (The Blunderbuss burst is RIDICULOUS and I just like his kit design) as secondaries if I got the game.

Edited by Dusk Noire
  • Brohoof 1

Eh. I'm not feeling it, but I do have very specific Super Smash Bros character wants at this point. The only thing that was exciting about that portion of the Direct was where they segued it to announcing Animal Crossing for the Switch. I found the little portion with Tom Nook kind of cute, too, perhaps for that reason. Even though I'm sad nothing was revealed about the game, it was a clever way to announce it.

I totally did not expect Isabelle to be a playable character in Smash. These choices never fail to surprise me. I'm looking forward to see how much potential she has when Super Smash Bros. Ultimate comes out!

So let's recap on the new fighters introduced:

Daisy from Super Mario Land

Ridley from Metroid

Dark Samus from Metroid Prime

Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening

Simon Belmont and Richter from Castlevania

King K. Rool from Donkey Kong Country

Isabelle from Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Who else will join the ultimate roster? Only time will tell and we can't wait! ;)

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Photon Jet said:

I totally did not expect Isabelle to be a playable character in Smash. These choices never fail to surprise me. I'm looking forward to see how much potential she has when Super Smash Bros. Ultimate comes out!

So let's recap on the new fighters introduced:

Daisy from Super Mario Land

Ridley from Metroid

Dark Samus from Metroid Prime

Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening

Simon Belmont and Richter from Castlevania

King K. Rool from Donkey Kong Country

Isabelle from Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Who else will join the ultimate roster? Only time will tell and we can't wait! ;)

At the rate we're going, I wouldn't even be surprised if Banjo and Kazooie get in. 

• Brohoof 1