Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

School of Friendship: Logical plot development?

heavens-champion

24 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

The mane six's arcs were fully completed in season 7, meaning that they are fully developed characters, so opening a school to teach others what they've learned is logical.

Why does everyone assume that characters can be fully developed and can't grow any further?

• Brohoof 2

48 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Why does everyone assume that characters can be fully developed and can't grow any further?

The mane six have been fully developed in the sense that have reached maturity. When you look at season 8, the mane six have found their purpose in life, know who they are, and they seek to teach others what they've learned, which means a character is fully developed according to a normal narrative. That doesn't mean new areas can't be explored or new lessons can't be learned, they can still grow.

Edited by EpicEnergy

Not really. I expected Twilight to eventually become a teacher/professor regardless of her princess status, but not the rest of the mane 6. Much like how I expected the Cutie Mark Crusaders to never really stop crusading and go on to form a larger group that would be set up sort of like a scouts program, but I didn't expect them to recieve cutie marks that were so pertained to that. Sure each of their little shields has something that's fitting to what they're good at or their backgrounds but that's not addressed so much which makes me wonder if they'll ever branch off into a career aside from what they currently do.

But back to the mane 6. Although they've all essentially reached their lively goals I saw nothing wrong with the existing formula, which It hink is in part to a few things. I don't think the show creators thought they were going to have this length of run time, afterall they made Twilight a princess back in season 3 and that came out of nowhere. everyone was wondering what would happen next and the answer was practically nothing which became a joke within the show and a frustration for some fans. The same applies to the school I think to a certain degree.

Personally I find the idea of them acting as ambassadors for friendship and Equestria making a lot more sense than all of them being teachers. Their plates just seem overflowing with responsibilities now.

One character I do wonder about is Pinkie Pie. Is she ever going to move out and find a place of her own or has she adopted the cakes as a second family and plans to live with them forever?

• Brohoof 2

Not really because the Mane 6 were always still learning new things about friendship. They just jump straight into teaching with no actual training. The Mane 5 unlike Twilight have jobs and other responsibilities that wouldn't give them time to do full time teaching.

It may be logical to Twilight's development, but not to the rest of the mane 6.

One major flaw in the whole concept of the Friendship School is the time each main pony spends on their careers, plus missions, plus teaching, plus their free time.

AJ and Rarity have had specific episodes showing how little time they have outside their jobs.

Rainbow Dash is supposed to have a schedule in which she spends about half of her week/month at the Wonderbolts Headquarters.

Fluttershy opened her sanctuary shortly before becoming a teacher, it's difficult to think she had everything under control to let it run itself and spend her time at the school.

Pinkie Pie is kind of a mystery in terms of schedule, but she's shown to have an extremely good administration system and to care about making all of Ponyville happy. She may be good enough to really have a full schedule on the school and make it believable.

46 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Personally I find the idea of them acting as ambassadors for friendship and Equestria making a lot more sense than all of them being teachers. Their plates just seem overflowing with responsibilities now.

I agree with this thought, they even made Pinkie the official friendship ambassador to Yakyakistan, and she didn't needed a full schedule to fulfill that role.

• Brohoof 1

Not really, except for Twilight, who's always seemed like someone who would want to open a school. None of the others showed that much interest in teaching, and I don't understand how they find the time besides. Personally, I just like it because it's something new for the show. 

• Brohoof 1

Mowing your lawn can be logical. Ain't seeing many episodes about that particular endeavor. Why don't we change ponies into middle-aged men with beer bellies? I mean, it's only logical for mundane people to do mundane stuff, right? So why not do that extra step?