Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why I Hate MLP Season 8

PurpleWonderPower

9 hours ago, PurpleWonderPower said:

What do you mean?

You say everything has to resolve around the main character, Twilight Sparkle in this situation. That isn't always the case. Episodes can, and should be independed of their main characters, as long as the plot of the season plays around the development of that character, which season 8 does. 

The problem with season 8 for me is that characters develop back to before their development, like Discord.

10 hours ago, Hierok said:

You say everything has to resolve around the main character, Twilight Sparkle in this situation. That isn't always the case. Episodes can, and should be independed of their main characters, as long as the plot of the season plays around the development of that character, which season 8 does. 

The problem with season 8 for me is that characters develop back to before their development, like Discord.

Yes, definitely, Discord is most certainly out of character. He acts like his unreformed self in Season 8, causing all that cruel chaos around the school, basically making everyone miserable. And that's not what Discord does anymore. Look at him in Discordant Harmony. He was a really nice, helpful, friendly guy. Where did he go?

22 minutes ago, PurpleWonderPower said:

Yes, definitely, Discord is most certainly out of character. He acts like his unreformed self in Season 8, causing all that cruel chaos around the school, basically making everyone miserable. And that's not what Discord does anymore. Look at him in Discordant Harmony. He was a really nice, helpful, friendly guy. Where did he go?

Show has a long history of nerfing character development just to score easy plot points though - Spike, Fluttershy, Twilight - all seem to totally forget what they learned in earlier episodes so that they can be told again (cue pony from Fame and Misfortune asking Fluttershy about that)

In this case though, while Discord IS acting childishly, that is more understandable - I am more surprised that and concerned that he endangered Fluttershy whlie pretexting, and/or didn't include Starlight on the list of ponies to go travel to the ends of the earth on his fake friendship quest.

Starlight's "just following orders" excuse also seems suspiciously close to Dashie's in the "Grannies gone Wild" episode, although the episode DOES show yet again that you shouldn't underestimate just how much power that cute little unicorn can wield.... I have seen DBZ finishing moves not as over the top as that.

40 minutes ago, Cypherhoof said:

Show has a long history of nerfing character development just to score easy plot points though - Spike, Fluttershy, Twilight - all seem to totally forget what they learned in earlier episodes so that they can be told again (cue pony from Fame and Misfortune asking Fluttershy about that)

In this case though, while Discord IS acting childishly, that is more understandable - I am more surprised that and concerned that he endangered Fluttershy whlie pretexting, and/or didn't include Starlight on the list of ponies to go travel to the ends of the earth on his fake friendship quest.

Starlight's "just following orders" excuse also seems suspiciously close to Dashie's in the "Grannies gone Wild" episode, although the episode DOES show yet again that you shouldn't underestimate just how much power that cute little unicorn can wield.... I have seen DBZ finishing moves not as over the top as that.

Definitely. So many characters are so OOC, and also seem to have forgotten all the lessons they have learned in the series. Like in Father Knows Beast. It's just an exact copy of Dragon Quest, with the same lesson all over again: WHAT you are does not define WHO you are.

And yeah, Discord would never have sent Fluttershy OR Starlight on a fake Map mission. Twilight is a possibility, but still, Discord is a nice guy these days. He doesn't do that stuff anymore.

A Matter of Principals is one of the worst episodes of the season. It undoes the development Discord had up to that point. It's basically Discord throwing a tantrum over not being included,and not only is he not punished in the end, but he actually gets REWARDED for his actions. The moral is one of the worst in the entire show.

And the reason S8 has been a step down is because of the change in story editor. This season has a lot of the same writers as S7, but the episodes are worse.

Josh Hamilton under Lady Writers: Parental Glideance

Josh Hamilton under Haber: Fake It Till You Make It.

Michael P and Will Fox under Lady Writers: Discordant Harmony

Michael P and Will Fox under Haber: Yakity Sax

Do you think the Lady Writers would have let episodes like Non-Compete Clause and Yakity Sax happen? I doubt it. 

And I have little hope that S9 will be much better, since Haber is returning as story editor. 

Edited by VG_Addict
  • Brohoof 2

I hate season 8 and its lack of any story editing or quality control. Nothing in it make sense. Main story arc is dumb. Old cast is out of character. The school setting makes it look like Equestria Girls spin off in pony land. The villain is the most stupidest thing Haber had ever written as well as the entire finale.

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Conred said:

I hate season 8 and its lack of any story editing or quality control. Nothing in it make sense. Main story arc is dumb. Old cast is out of character. The school setting makes it look like Equestria Girls spin off in pony land. The villain is the most stupidest thing Haber had ever written as well as the entire finale.

Absolutely!!! Thank you!

• Brohoof 1

I would say I don't hate this season, it's just been very... inconsistent with the episode quality. One week they release great episodes like "Rockhoof and a Hard Place" and the next they release garbage like "Fake It 'Til You Make It". This is a phenomenon that's happened the whole season so far. Although I'm beginning to have hope as there's been a couple of good episodes in a row as of now, but nonetheless I'm still cautious because the writers this season have had a bad habit of throwing curveballs. That's an opinion of course, not trying to stress it as fact.

As of now IMO, I rank the seasons like this: 4>7>2>5>1>8>>6>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3 (because S3 was total and utter garbage).

Edited by Dusk Noire

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, VG_Addict said:

A Matter of Principals is one of the worst episodes of the season. It undoes the development Discord had up to that point. It's basically Discord throwing a tantrum over not being included,and not only is he not punished in the end, but he actually gets REWARDED for his actions. The moral is one of the worst in the entire show.

And the reason S8 has been a step down is because of the change in story editor. This season has a lot of the same writers as S7, but the episodes are worse.

Josh Hamilton under Lady Writers: Parental Glideance

Josh Hamilton under Haber: Fake It Till You Make It.

Michael P and Will Fox under Lady Writers: Discordant Harmony

Michael P and Will Fox under Haber: Yakity Sax

Do you think the Lady Writers would have let episodes like Non-Compete Clause and Yakity Sax happen? I doubt it. 

And I have little hope that S9 will be much better, since Haber is returning as story editor. 

In short, Haber killed FiM as a quality show.

• Brohoof 1

Another thing I dislike about Season 8 is that the Student Six don't get to interact with Fluttershy or Pinkie this season, while all the other main characters did, even Discord! To make matters worse, in both Student Six focused episodes, no Fluttershy or Pinkie whatsoever.

Season 9 really better have these two interact with the Student Six and less for the rest. Besides, they're teachers of the school, too.

Edited by FirePuppy

24 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Another thing I dislike about Season 8 is that the Student Six don't get to interact with Fluttershy or Pinkie this season, while all the other main characters did, even Discord! To make matters worse, in both Student Six focused episodes, no Fluttershy or Pinkie whatsoever.

They sorta did; in the /marks for effort/ intro, pinkie is teaching sharing using cupcakes, and Fluttershy is introducing her class to butterflies - the young six seem to be split between the classes though (with smolder in AJ's class)

24 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Season 9 really better have these two interact with the Student Six and less for the rest. Besides, they're teachers of the school, too.

Well, flutters IS teacher of the month. Every month :)

To everyone who I gave a sad reaction to, I strongly disagree with your opinion.

Sometimes it sounds like some people just look for reasons to complain instead of accepting that fact the show is actually trying new things, whether they fail or succeed. And just makes me sad to see fans like that.

On 9/22/2018 at 5:07 PM, Hierok said:

Now, this guy's point is something I can agree with. It's not always about Twilight nor should it be.

I find it more interesting to see the lives of other new characters. That's why shows or games with Loads of Characters are good, because with all the characters there's always going to be someone whose story you would want to follow.

• Brohoof 2

36 minutes ago, Willusion said:

Now, this guy's point is something I can agree with. It's not always about Twilight nor should it be.

I find it more interesting to see the lives of other new characters. That's why shows or games with Loads of Characters are good, because with all the characters there's always going to be someone whose story you would want to follow.

I think the magic of MLP can only really survive by moving the focus off the mane characters and ponyville, as that well has been tapped pretty deeply - and that is what is being done; I think the young 6 are more the new CMC than the new mane six, the obvious interest of the Tree notwithstanding, but that's also fine - A show with a balance of inexperienced characters we can learn more about (and the young six are clearly early into their character arcs), combined with the overpowered mane characters that are pretty much fleshed out and not developing much (and longer established cast members like twilight's family, the royal sisters and the CMC) and the locations outside Equestria could see us well though S9 and possibly prompt a rethink on that termination.

Edited by Cypherhoof
  • Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, Cypherhoof said:

They sorta did; in the /marks for effort/ intro, pinkie is teaching sharing using cupcakes, and Fluttershy is introducing her class to butterflies - the young six seem to be split between the classes though (with smolder in AJ's class)

That isn't enough. I mean a real episode. Fluttershy and Pinkie both didn't have one where the students make any appearances, while all the others had at least one.

Just so you know, Marks for Effort focuses on the CMCs.

Edited by FirePuppy

Just now, FirePuppy said:

That isn't enough. I mean a real episode. Fluttershy and Pinkie both didn't have one where the students make any appearances, while all the others had at least one.

Just so you know, Marks for Effort focuses on the CMCs.

Sure, and I would welcome more young six episodes - I was just addressing the statement that they weren't shown interacting, despite being teachers, not saying that there had been a young 6 / Flutters or Pinkie focussed episode.

3 hours ago, Cypherhoof said:

I think the magic of MLP can only really survive by moving the focus off the mane characters and ponyville, as that well has been tapped pretty deeply - and that is what is being done; I think the young 6 are more the new CMC than the new mane six, the obvious interest of the Tree notwithstanding, but that's also fine - A show with a balance of inexperienced characters we can learn more about (and the young six are clearly early into their character arcs), combined with the overpowered mane characters that are pretty much fleshed out and not developing much (and longer established cast members like twilight's family, the royal sisters and the CMC) and the locations outside Equestria could see us well though S9 and possibly prompt a rethink on that termination.

Agreed. Remember Rugrats and All Grown-Up? They could pull the same, but It’ll be the same with the Mane6 considering they are already adults. Same wouldn’t apply to the Young6, the cuties, Spike, nor McFlurry  :fluttershy:. Anyway, if there’s a chance for FIM to continue one way or another, the Mane6 have to give away the spotlight  >_>

Please don't be offended or angry for what I'm about to say, @PurpleWonderPower, as I'm not the smartest... theorist (?)
I personally think that they're trying to make the seasons bad because as I read somewhere, there will only be 9 seasons of MLP G4 and then they'll air MLP G5 on 2019. 
They're probably intentionally doing it to make the audiences bored and make them want something better. 

But if all of my points are wrong, then the writers kind of have some explaining to do. Princess Celestia literally said friendships couldn't be learned by books (at least that's what I vaguely remember) but what do we see now? A whole flipping school of Friendship!

And I agree to all of your points above, so I'm not really looking forward to Season 9 as its previous season already lost the originality. But I will be honestly really sad to see G4 go.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Minty Sun Rainbow said:

Please don't be offended or angry for what I'm about to say, @PurpleWonderPower, as I'm not the smartest... theorist (?)
I personally think that they're trying to make the seasons bad because as I read somewhere, there will only be 9 seasons of MLP G4 and then they'll air MLP G5 on 2019. 
They're probably intentionally doing it to make the audiences bored and make them want something better. 

I doubt that, but not for that reason - its because Hasbro only really sees FiM as driving demand for their toys - which is a good thing, given it means they aren't as aggressive about fan activity as (say) WB over the Harry Potter franchise. But it also means that "I know, lets do something that means we still have all the expense of making the series, but reduces demand for the toys" isn't likely to go down well with their board.

With little or no effort on their part, the FiM fandom could persist the way the star trek, star wars, dr who etc fandoms have - and still be driving video sales and toy sales decades from now. That sort of cash-cow is pampered.

But if all of my points are wrong, then the writers kind of have some explaining to do. Princess Celestia literally said friendships couldn't be learned by books (at least that's what I vaguely remember) but what do we see now? A whole flipping school of Friendship!

Not necessarily from books though. And clearly it is working - the Young Six were determined to stay together, even after only a few weeks, and against the desires of their own elders.

And I agree to all of your points above, so I'm not really looking forward to Season 9 as its previous season already lost the originality. But I will be honestly really sad to see G4 go.

We could hope for another good season (and S7 was unexpectedly one of the best) but I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Minty Sun Rainbow said:

I very much doubt that. It's a pattern in TV shows, and it's a pattern I know only too well. The episodes start of as average, then go up to jaw-dropping-awesome, then the quality goes down again, and eventually they get to the season where they make a bunch of dumb changes for the worse, forget all the important facts from previous episodes, none of the characters act like themselves and next to no episodes are worth watching. They are basically running out of good ideas so they go with terrible ones. It happens to all TV shows eventually, and MLP is no different. But I'm glad you agree with my points. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I also liked s3, and 6 and they're both spat on as much as 8, if not more

Does that make me a target for ridicule? Because I don't want to think I'm deluded in saying that.

• Brohoof 3