Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask the below member an impossible question?

Reecejackox

11 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Vigintillion is undefined. 

Is this statement true or false: “this statement is false”?

This statement is a paradox. If it's true, then the statement has to be false and so on

Is Megamind a Disney Movie or a Pixar movie

• Brohoof 1

37 minutes ago, Totally Spicy BronyNumber 2A said:

If the position function for an electron is a Dirac delta, then what value can you be guaranteed to obtain for its momentum?

Sorry if I didn't get it, but a position has 3 dimensions and cannot be expressed over time as a two dimension function, you can express its X, Y, or Z value over time tho. But if that was the case, then that would mean the electron simply jumped an energy level, because according to quantum physics, electrons must exist only in discrete energy levels. Following that logic, the position of the electron technically instantly changed position, giving it an infinite velocity (and hence an infinitely large momentum). But we all know that would be impossible, and it is. Because electrons didn't actually "teleport" between the two orbitals. What happens is that the electron is a quantum particle, and all quantum particles can act as both a particle and a wave. When it is part of an atom, the electron acts like a wave. The orbital is simply the pattern of the wave the electron creates. When the electron changes orbitals, it is this wave that changes shape. Since waves are simply a pattern of energy, it can be changed instantaneously.

As for the fact that the electrons would have to be in the different energy level for an infinitely small amount of time, an electron can also be in superpositions, so I guess it would be possible for it to also do that. I don't know much about quantum mechanics, so I may be wrong. But that is a pretty interesting question, it's a pretty good way to think about quantum physics.

If SciTwi went into the human world should she be an Alicorn or Unicorn?

• Brohoof 1

@Artica some of that is right but what I was getting at was the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The math if quantum mechanics is analogous to classical mechanics. The quantum numbers of position and momentum are Fourier transforms of each other. Because of a minis sign, the 2nd order partial differential equation for quantum particles has a oscillating solution, or complex time varying exponential. This is where the wave comes from. 

The Fourier transform of an exponential is an exponential and the position-momentum variables k and p represent a minimum distribution. Therefore if one is a Dirac delta, then the other must be a flat line.

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Amtrak sw1 said:

What type of engine I am 

I can't make out much of the details from your profile picture. My best guess is that it's a museum peice run by them because although it says Amtrak on the side, they weren't formed until 1970 as I'm sure you very well know, and the particular engine you have chosen appears to be an earlier style. Then again I don't know much of anything about trains.

20 minutes ago, DivineLuna1000 said:

Why do we cook bacon but bake cookies?

Because bacon does not require any prior treatment or assemblage before being cooked. Bacon may also be cooked in wet heat from various sources although this is usually done via it's own fat. The vast majority of cookies require multiple ingredients that include the likes of a leavening agent, and will only rise and form an adequate final product if exposed to a dry heat.

22 minutes ago, DivineLuna1000 said:

Why do we wait until nighttime to call it a day?

We don't. To "Call it a day" means to stop the task that you're designated either by yourself or an employer, and to no longer work on it until tomorrow. It has nothing to do with the night unless you're simply referring to the 24 hour day cycle, in which case it's because the point at which one day transfers into another, it happens to be dark outside in most places and this time of darkness is referred to as night.

What does the inside of a brick look like?

• Brohoof 1

Bec it doesn't know how to end  it.

How is this thread  different from the "ask  a stupid question" thread? 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

Because a wise man can see the world in a grain of sand, while a wise guy will roll around in the sand until he's covered in seaweed and say, "look at me, I'm Vine Man".

What's the last digit of pi?

• Brohoof 1

5475859563738485969707857474646490395827252966219.  I might be one or two off.  

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?  

• Brohoof 1