Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Broken relations with someone because of disturbing words about Pinkie

PCutter

I thought I'd get this off my chest a bit.

First of all, I have no strong opinion on Pinkie. I won't say anything else about that.

But here's the thing. Someone I knew (let's call that person A for simplicity) had always hated Pinkie because of her optimism and her being a complete nuisance in the show. Not just in s8 but also since the very beginning in 2010. A said some things that should happen to her (that are too graphic for me to describe). But A told me that it would result in her being wiped out of the show and everypony in Ponyville celebrating her nonexistence. The last straw according to him was Yakity Sax. A hated her so much that I was explicitly told that he will be so much happier if he could witness whatever final misfortune Pinkie had onscreen.

Now because of this, I permanently severed all contact with A and never had contact again because I found this all too poisonous.

So I want to know: was I correct in forever cutting off all contact with someone who had absolute hatred for Pinkie, or not?

I wouldn't do something like that myself. I don't really care what other people think about certain characters or other irrelevant (in my opinion) things like that, it's how they are as a person that matters. :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Tacodidra said:

I wouldn't do something like that myself. I don't really care what other people think about certain characters or other irrelevant (in my opinion) things like that, it's how they are as a person that matters. :kindness:

That? What is "that" you wouldn't do?

• Brohoof 1

I want to say that you shouldn't base a life decision on whether someone likes the same cartoon character or not, but then I got to thinking. "A" sounds a little off. Obsessing on a character's demise like that doesn't sound healthy. I think your friend may need help.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 12

Just now, PCutter said:

That? What is "that" you wouldn't do?

Cutting off contact over a fictional character. I'd probably find such graphic descriptions (based on what I assume they were like) annoying too, but it's not something I'd want to lose a friend over.

• Brohoof 2

21 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

Cutting off contact over a fictional character. I'd probably find such graphic descriptions (based on what I assume they were like) annoying too, but it's not something I'd want to lose a friend over.

So I'm wrong with permanently severing contact with A over wanting to do something so unspeakably horrid? Maybe I'm hitting below the belt by describing what A wanted to happen, but I can tell you it involves dangerously explosive fireworks and Pinkie crying while being tied up. He said that "it's what she deserves after being such a ***** and that having those fireworks involved is a fitting end for her since she loves them so much." And he also said that he has "ZERO regrets or qualms about seeing it happen." You have no idea of how angry I was when I heard that.

Edit: @ShadowPhoenixDoes your reaction say you share A's sentiment?

Edited by PCutter
  • Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Edit: @ShadowPhoenixDoes your reaction say you share A's sentiment?

Don't worry, of course not. I smile because @PCutter you did not exactly define how close you are to this "A" person.

Personally, I would find it both irritating and disturbing if a casual acquaintance or friend kept ragging on about how they wanted Pinkie Pie, one of the main characters, to meet her end in a macabre way, because it is at once delusional, petty and hypocritical for someone to hope to seek enjoyment out of this show, while completely missing the mark of MLP's positive themes by hoping one of its core links (Pinkie) to be severed in such a cruel and demeaning manner. I find it contemptible how A could nurse such a strong hatred for a fictional character for 8 years without re-examining his own opinions and biases. At the same time, it is simply expending energy unnecessarily into hoping she will be killed off, when A themselves should know that in the context of MLP, would be impossible.

So you're right. Whoever this person is sounds poisonous to me. Cutting your loss is not a big deal unless of course, it is someone close to you.

• Brohoof 5

Just now, PCutter said:

@TacodidraAren't the things A said already a clear indication that something is wrong? Or am I the one who's wrong?

I don't think they should keep saying those things, I agree with you on that. I guess cutting off contact could be justified – if they keep saying those things about Pinkie in spite of you saying you don't want to hear it, then I'd say they're not really worth your time. It depends on the situation, really, and in the end, it's your decision only  :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

Just now, ShadowPhoenix said:

Don't worry, of course not. I smile because @PCutter you did not exactly define how close you are to this "A" person.

Personally, I would find it both irritating and disturbing if a casual acquaintance or friend kept ragging on about how they wanted Pinkie Pie, one of the main characters, to meet her end in a macabre way, because it is at once delusional, petty and hypocritical for someone to hope to seek enjoyment out of this show, while completely missing the mark of MLP's positive themes by hoping one of its core links (Pinkie) to be severed in such a cruel and demeaning manner. I find it contemptible how A could nurse such a strong hatred for a fictional character for 8 years without re-examining his own opinions and biases. At the same time, it is simply expending energy unnecessarily into hoping she will be killed off, when A themselves should know that in the context of MLP, would be impossible.

So you're right. Whoever this person is sounds poisonous to me. Cutting your loss is not a big deal unless of course, it is someone close to you.

Well what about Yakity Sax? I heard it was universally hated, and that that was the trigger for everyone to confirm their hate for Pinkie and that she needed to be erased immediately. But A seriously takes it to another level.

And no, this is someone I met online before. Not a I've-known-this person-for-decades kind of close.

That depends entirely on how close the person to you is. If it's just a random person from the internet, if I was on your position cutting off contact would be an option, but not necessity.

But, say, for example one of my friends was saying that, I would literally, openly confront them about their mental condition. "Dude, it's just a cartoon, what's wrong with you? If you met someone with similar life attitude as Pinkie in real life, you'd do the same to them? Knock it off and cool down already, seriously, you're sounding disturbing." - and I'd have made my best to come off as serious as possible.

• Brohoof 2

If you guys are letting a relationship be destroyed over feelings over a cartoon character then you need to get you priorities straightened out

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I want to say that you shouldn't base a life decision on whether someone likes the same cartoon character or not, but then I got to thinking. "A" sounds a little off. Obsessing on a character's demise like that doesn't sound healthy. I think your friend may need help.

Well said. I think that's the base issue here. Hearing violent things like that come from a friend would make me want to distance myself too.

• Brohoof 2

It sounds like this other person is a little too fixated on the Pinkie hate. That might indicate bigger issues. Regardless, Person A needed to stop when it made you uncomfortable. If they can’t respect your wish to tone it down, then they are disrespecting you.

• Brohoof 2

Still, Yakity Sax was said to be the final nail in the coffin not just for A but for all those who don't like Pinkie's handling in the recent seasons. Now I'm also fearing this: even though I did the right thing by never talking to A again, am I also inadvertently admitting defeat by saying that he and all the others are secretly and objectively correct in having Pinkie erased from the show somehow?

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, This Whomps said:

If you guys are letting a relationship be destroyed over feelings over a cartoon character then you need to get you priorities straightened out

There's a MAJOR difference between two people breaking off over a heated disagreement over fictional character preferences and ending a friendship over someone because their hatred for a character becomes a violent obsession. What's going on here is the latter. @cuteycindyhoney, @starrymiss, @ShadowPhoenix, and @Passion are right on the money. Person A's behavior regarding Pinkie is delusional, insane, and disturbing. PCutter did the right thing to cut off P.A.

6 minutes ago, PCutter said:

am I also inadvertently admitting defeat by saying that he and all the others are secretly and objectively correct in having Pinkie erased from the show somehow?

They're wrong. Pinkie's an integral part of FIM's mane cast, and that won't ever change.

• Brohoof 3

It's hard to say without proper context, but I doubt that he actually had some kind of violent obsession. It's more likely that this is some kind of dark joke expressed in a bad way.

• Brohoof 2

33 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

There's a MAJOR difference between two people breaking off over a heated disagreement over fictional character preferences and ending a friendship over someone because their hatred for a character becomes a violent obsession. What's going on here is the latter.

While playing armchair psychologist is fun and all, I don't think we should immediately jump to the conclusion that A has a violent obsession with Pinkie. I mean, we only have one person's side of the story and, as Gestum said, lack the context in which this was said. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, dunno the whole context, but I would distance myself as well if said person is constantly making these kind of comments and they mean it. For one part, I don’t like to hear these kind of things gratuitously, and another may hide bigger issues

I will say this... people that obsessed over wishing something bad to happen to someone... even to fictional characters... are probably not decent people. I think you made the right call. That is poison and you need to keep yourself away from that.

I believe that a discussion on fandom relationships over something like this is better suited for the fandom section so I’ll punt this over there. 

The Pinkie Pie part might not be important. Anyone can love or hate the character on the show. It's about how.

What important is that person didn't show consideration for you.

It was a right choice to cut contract with that person. Not because of Pinkie it's because of that person.

On 9/16/2018 at 11:53 AM, PCutter said:

So I want to know: was I correct in forever cutting off all contact with someone who had absolute hatred for Pinkie, or not?

@PCutter I don't know if you were right, but I think I know how you can find out.  At least, I hope so.

See, I believe there are cool ponies who respect others and not-so-cool ponies that don't.  In order to live a happier life, I rid myself of the negative influences around me (those people who said they were my friends, but were really were in it for a one-way relationship; "one-way" meaning theirs).  If you think A is one of these, and you don't feel comfortable with them, then I say wish them well and walk on.  Hold no hate, but do cut off the relationship.  If this person has some kind of perspective that says "anyone who doesn't hate Pinkie Pie is a jerk!" then they have drawn a line.  And that line might cost them friends.  Including you.  But, it's their decision.  You appear to have had nothing to do with it.

On the other hand, if there is more to the story than this, and this is all just a misunderstanding of some kind, then I recommend by all means, sit down with them in a place of no distractions and, in a civil, respectful way, get to the bottom of it.  If A is really your friend, A will respect your opinion regardless of theirs.  Maybe they were just having a bad week?  Maybe not?  Follow your gut instinct.  Trust your feelings on the matter.

If you see it the same way, then you have (what I hope is) an answer to your very important question.  Whatever happens, good luck with this!

Honor and fun,

Summer Storm =)

P.S. On a loosely-related note, Pinkie Pie is the entire reason I became a Brony (see my Profile if you want details).  =)

Edited by Summer Storm
Because I goofed! =)
  • Brohoof 1

While I think it's unnecessary to break off relation over a cartoon, it's best just to tell them to stfu. If they don't listen and if they constantly bugging you with their rant then  that's when it became more than just fighting about a cartoon. It become an annoyance. If that's  case it's not you, it's them. They're the one who need to get a life. If it irritates you, then there's nothing wrong with taking a break from them. 

Hell, I doubt any of us can deal with asshole for more than 1 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Summer Storm said:

@PCutter I don't know if you were right, but I think I know how you can find out.  At least, I hope so.

See, I believe there are cool ponies who respect others and not-so-cool ponies that don't.  In order to live a happier life, I rid myself of the negative influences around me (those people who said they were my friends, but were really were in it for a one-way relationship; "one-way" meaning theirs).  If you think A is one of these, and you don't feel comfortable with them, then I say wish them well and walk on.  Hold no hate, but do cut off the relationship.  If this person has some kind of perspective that says "anyone who doesn't hate Pinkie Pie is a jerk!" then they have drawn a line.  And that line might cost them friends.  Including you.  But, it's their decision.  You appear to have had nothing to do with it.

On the other hand, if there is more to the story than this, and this is all just a misunderstanding of some kind, then I recommend by all means, sit down with them in a place of no distractions and, in a civil, respectful way, get to the bottom of it.  If A is really your friend, A will respect your opinion regardless of theirs.  Maybe they were just having a bad week?  Maybe not?  Follow your gut instinct.  Trust your feelings on the matter.

If you see it the same way, then you have (what I hope is) an answer to your very important question.  Whatever happens, good luck with this!

Honor and fun,

Summer Storm =)

P.S. On a loosely-related note, Pinkie Pie is the entire reason I became a Brony (see my Profile if you want details).  =)

This didn't go on for just a week. This happened ALL the time I've had contact with A. It was after after Yakity Sax that I completely booted A out of my life for good. Because the venom was seriously too much for me to bear. I had a literal heartache by the time I saw his description on the violent things that he wanted to happen to her. My decision is final and no words from you will have any impact on it.