Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Twilight have preferred living in the Castle of the Two Sisters?

ManaMinori

That actually seemed like that's what the writers were planning for her, since the beginning of the "locked box" arc. In "Castle Mane-ia", Celestia tells Twilight to go search for answers in her old castle, Twilight discovers the library and immediately claims that "it's perfect!". Shortly thereafter, in "Power Ponies", Twilight and her friends are in the process of renovating the old castle. But we never really get an in-universe explanation as to why, or see the renovation come to completion. Instead, The box is opened at the end of "Twilight's Kingdom", and an entirely brand new castle pops out the ground for her. And as soon as Twilight moves in, she fusses that she doesn't like it, as opposed to her old home, and most importantly, the Castle of the Two Sisters, which she claimed was "perfect", prior to the event of her tree house getting blown to smithereens (R.I.P Golden Oak Library).

Sooo, yeah- Twilight's castle had meant to be Celestia and Luna's old place. Would you guys have preferred this, if it had been? Would Twilight have preferred this option a lot more?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

I think the original intention was to have Twilight inherit the Castle of the Two Sisters seeing as she and the rest of the Mane Six were doing everything they could to restore it back to the way it was before. But, since Hasbro gets to call the shots, they wanted Twilight to have a brand new castle in order to sell the toy variation of it. I wouldn't have minded seeing Twilight residing in the old castle though it would've made her a little isolated given its location.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I think the original intention was to have Twilight inherit the Castle of the Two Sisters seeing as she and the rest of the Mane Six were doing everything they could to restore it back to the way it was before. But, since Hasbro gets to call the shots, they wanted Twilight to have a brand new castle in order to sell the toy variation of it. I wouldn't have minded seeing Twilight residing in the old castle though it would've made her a little isolated given its location.

I guess a brand spankin new crystal castle playset would sell better than a beat up, old, renovated Everfree Castle playset, although the latter would- by far, provide more story and plot opportunity. Poor Twilight. She loved the old, junky castle.

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

They dropped the Castle of the Two Sisters pretty quickly in season four. I think after the Power Ponies episode, they never talked about it again. Wasted potential for great back story episodes on Celestia and Luna.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 1

Steeped inhistory as it is, the Castle of the Two Sisters might indeed have felt less cold to her, and the renovation would have given her some connection to it. But I wonder if she would have felt she was living in Celestia and Luna’s shadow. More importantly, it’d still be large and empty, and it would be much more isolated from Ponyville and her friends. She loved the castle because she loves libraries, but would she really like to live in an empty, abandoned one? Her old pad was much smaller than the Castle of the Two Sisters, remember. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

Well, while the real reason is probably "because toys", I don't see Twilight moving into the middle of Everfree forest - it's not only dangerous for others to visit, but rather out of the way. Twilight's closest friends live in or near Ponyville, so having to make the trek to see them, or having them see her would outweigh the benefits of settling in the princesses' old castle.

The old castle is out in the middle of a forest that most ponies stay away from. Twilight would have be living away from her friends if she took the old castle. That's why in universe the Tree of Harmony gave them the Castle of Friendship and communicated with them through the Cutie Map.

11 hours ago, Twilight Luna said:

They dropped the Castle of the Two Sisters pretty quickly in season four. I think after the Power Ponies episode, they never talked about it again. 

Actually, after Power Ponies, Spike went back to the old castle in Inspiration Manifestation and the Mane 6 visited the castle again in the S4 Finale, where they realized Discord's hint to unlock the chest. Not to mention the Students 6 hid there in S8 premere. So, the old Castle was still talked about, just very rarely.

2 minutes ago, Tropical Melody said:

Have to agree I never liked her moving to the new castle, the old tree house was just great IMO. Bit lame after that. Or would have made more sense (to me) to renovate the old two sisters castle.

News flash: the old Library Tree was destroyed! They can't regrow it back. They still at least gave the remaining tree roots a home over the Cutie Map with ornaments depicting past episodes. So in a way, the spirit of the Golden Oak Library can still watch over our heroes.

1 minute ago, Tropical Melody said:

Yes I did know that. :D

Else why would she have to move - but cynical moi thinks it was contrived, as suggested earlier to promote new products ... ?

Still better to live in a castle close to home than in a castle in the middle of a forest AWAY from her friends. That's why the answer to the topic question is NO, Twilight would  NOT have preferred to live in the Castle of the 2 Sisters.

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I guess a brand spankin new crystal castle playset would sell better than a beat up, old, renovated Everfree Castle playset, although the latter would- by far, provide more story and plot opportunity. Poor Twilight. She loved the old, junky castle.

As much as the writers love getting to do things their way, they will always be overruled by Hasbro all in the name of toy sales. Who knows? Maybe the old castle will play some kind of role one day.

While I never really had a problem with Twilight's castle, when I think about it, I would have preferred her to inherit the Castle of the Two Sisters.  I mean living isolated in the Everfree Forest far from her friends probably would have been a problem for her, but than again Twilight could just teleport or fly to to town anyways so.  Plus I think it would fit nicely for the princess of friendship to have a castle that she worked on restoring with the help of her friends.

• Brohoof 1

I disagree because the castle of the two sisters is way too far away from any population centers like Ponyvile or Canterlot, and nobody even lives on the castle grounds except maybe Zecora occasionally goes there. So, if they wanted to make Twilight a recluse then yeah maybe. It would be nice as a vacation spot but that's it. Of course Nightmare Moon is the only one who actually had enough dedication to restore the castle not counting that brief period of time when Mane 6 spent some time inside of it.

Edited by R.D.Dash

18 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

As much as the writers love getting to do things their way, they will always be overruled by Hasbro all in the name of toy sales.

That's because Hasbro needs to sell toys, otherwise, they're making toys for no reason.

Edited by heavens-champion