Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Shining Armor's lack of development.

CastletonSnob

Why is he so flat? Even by the standards of male characters on the show, he's one-dimensional. Spike's had more development, Big Mac and Discord have had more development, even Sunburst and Thorax have had more development than him.

How would you give Shining development?

• Brohoof 1

Throw his wife in there too. A two part season ender and a two part season opener to their names, yet we barley know them. 

I'd have them doubt their place as royals. Celestia and Luna rule the cosmos while Twily saves the day. Have both question what good they are other than being the token parents. After that I'd either put them in a situation only they'd be the best at handling, or in a scenario that both are ill equipped for and we learn about them as they struggle to adapt. 

I don't think every character needs to be three dimensional.

Shining Armor has a gimmick the writers like (making him neurotic and unprofessional) so they stick with that. 

If he was a main character or a prominent side character, his flatness would be a problem, but for a character that only appears every once in a while in a supporting role, I think he's fine the way he is.

• Brohoof 4

To add on with @bigbertha's comment, I think we need an episode  about Twilight and Shining armor spending  real brother/sister quality time together. 

Just now, Nightmare Muffin said:

I have wanted this ever since we learned Twilight even HAD a brother!

Twilight even sang a song (BBBFF) too, apparently that went down the drain and is long forgotten...

31 minutes ago, TBD said:

To add on with @bigbertha's comment, I think we need an episode  about Twilight and Shining armor spending  real brother/sister quality time together. 

There was an comic book issue between the two.

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Friends_Forever_Issue_4

That was released years ago.

Edited by Willusion
  • Brohoof 1

There are lots of less developed characters in the show because we can't and don't need to know everything about everybody.

Minor roles have less development. (Of course the characters importance in the show can change.)

I have no complaints about Shining Armor not showing development or his past. All we need to know is he is Twilight's brother and he is a captain of the royal guard and he is Cadence's husband. Revealing the character should work in the show. If there is no reason to do it (=just fan service) it can be a disaster.

He's like Mr. and Mrs.Cake. Being a brother of the main character doesn't change. Just like Rarity's parents.

If the show doesn't touch the subject, it's fine to me. I don't want to know about Spike's parents, why Applejack's parents died, young six's parents, the pillar's parents, princess Celestia and Luna's young ages, Cheerilee's development, Pie sister's development, who made the magical comics, Boulder's character development, Mayor Mare's character development, how Cadence became a princess, how Spitfire became a Wonderbolt, Diamond Tiara and Silverspoon's development, King Sombra's past... etc.

I din't even needed Applejack's parents episode but they did a good job making a fun episode so I like it. Not because of the topic. So, if done properly, I don't mind seeing character's development but I don't mind if they don't either.

The only problem for me would be

A : They had no business developing it but did it anyway and the episode is horrible,

B : The character is so important to the plot but yet that character is underdeveloped. (not necessarily talking about the character's past tho)

The show's first concern should be 'how do we make a fun episode?' After that, the character's development should be relevant to the episode's topic or impossible to avoid any longer.

The another problem is, pushing a character way deep in the story without developing it properly. Character's involvement without caring about the character itself, but only as a functioning plot device can make lots of weak and hollow characters. Character development is not about knowing it's past or knowing it's family. It's about the character grow in us. We care more about it. We can see how the character would have acted in a certain situation. We know that character.

So, if the character needs a development, it means that character is more important to the show. I don't think Shining Armor is in this point.

If they make a good Shining Armor episode, I'm 100% in.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

Shining Armor is one of my favorite characters and, in despite of his sparse appearances, i think he's been developed plenty. From his very introduction, he's been shown as a very devoted lover, soldier (even achieving the rank of Captain, but what more seems like the equivalent of a General due to not having any apparent superiors outside of the Princesses, in spite of his apparent flaws in training) and most especially as a brother. He has a stern commanding side, but where he really shines is his laid-back loving goofy almost nerdy side.