Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How I changed from hating EQG to kinda liking it.

Sepul-Coloratura

I was avoiding EQG until before FiM season 8 premiere started. I thought it was a stupid idea to make human version of MLP and still think it is. The idea wasn't revolving around "wow do we make a fun show?". It was to borrow the franchise's fame and make a profit out of it. I don't like those kind of things. It is guaranteed to be bad.

The reason I liked FiM in the first place was

1. Ponies looked cute.
  2. It takes place in almost utopian world where I can escape form the real world for a while.
  3. The story and characters were interesting enough to cancel out my resistance against girly cartoons.

and EQG didn't have all three of it.

1. Characters looked awful. (almost in the uncanny valley. and their movement were uncanny too.)
  2. It takes place in a human world.
  3. The story couldn't possibly be good. (I presume)

But during the hiatus, wanting to get involved more into the fandom, I watched the first movie.

And it was awful. The story was The Phantom Menace level of awful. Every plot points, every ideas they chose seemed like there couldn't be more wrong than this.

And I watched Rainbow Rocks. Surprisingly, I liked the shorts where Rainbow Dash makes a band. The movie was better than the first one, but like people said about "Revenge of the Sith", being better than a bad movie can't be a compliment. It was still awful for me.

And I watched Friendship Games and The Legend of Everfree. And all the shorts. And Dance Magic, Movie Magic, Mirror Magic, Forgotten Friendship, Rollercoaster of Friendship.

I think the problem with the movies is they make an awful plot. They have to make a demon to end the world and they have to make the Mane Seven to stop it like the Power Rangers. It would be better if they make it more obvious and expectable like Power Rangers but they didn't. Everything happens before is the excuse for the final battle and it is a badly written excuse.

What interesting was I still think the movies are awful and repetitive, I liked the shorts. I even have more expectations on the new EQG than FiM season 9.

Let me explain why.

The whole premise of EQG franchise works better in the shorts than a long feature film. That's why.

EQG is to make a human version of MLP. They even have a human version of every ponies. But human Fluttershy isn't THE Fluttershy. She act's like her, she speaks like her. Even if she went through the portal and turn into a pony, she still isn't THE Fluttershy. The difference is we don't have a same kind of emotional attachment because we were not with her. We didn't see her go through lots of stuff. So the characters don't have the same weight with the FiM characters in a movie. So expecting people to care about the character because she is Fluttershy doesn't work. The whole purpose of making it a extended franchise doesn't work in the movie's story. What might work is "What if there is a world where the human version of MLP characters? What would she act?" and that's exactly what the shorts do.

We don't have a long-term serious world-ending-plot obligating characters what to do. We just have short 1-3 minutes of shorts free to whatever we want. Just seeing what happens in the human version of MLP. We don't have to get into the character and make it through the journey. We just see the short and say "That's what human Pinkie Pie would do!". That's why we are so excited whenever we see the portal. It's because it's an opportunity to see the familiar world interact with the new world. We like to see Pony Twilight meeting Human Twilight. We want to see Rainbow Dash riding Rainbow dash. We don't get excited seeing the new villainess floating in the air and causing armageddon. 

FiM used to be like a sitcom in early seasons and it works the best in that way. Nowadays they take themselves too seriously.

In conclusion, both FiM and EQG works best in a sitcom way, FiM works better in the world ending scenario than EQG.

There is another reason why I look forward to EQG more than FiM.

It's about how they use and treat the new protagonist in the show. Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer.

Most of the reasons people say why Sunset Shimmer is the best character is stupid. But there is a reason she works well.

It's because she is one of the very three characters in EQG we get to know. The others are Pony Twilight and Human Twilight. And that's it. She's the best character of EQG. More like one of the only few characters of EQG.

Let me list why Sunset works better than Starlight. Mostly, they both have the exact same problem but the difference is how much. Most of these problems are on season 8.

• Sunset is the most developed character in the show and appropriate for the main role. Starlight has to win Six mane characters and princesses and lots of others. She is the main character but she isn't ready. They both could be blamed for stealing Twilight's place but in EQG there is no "Twilight".
  • Sunset is building up an interesting character while Starlight already ran out of her character faster than she built.
  • Sunset herself can make an interesting episode while Starlight can't by her self. She has to be paired with Discord, Trixie, Maud, Twilight, etc.
  • We don't know how Starlight would react. The only thing we can see how she would act is something related with her past as a reformed villain.
  • The only trigger to bring emotion to Starlight is to bring up her past. For Sunset, they use relationship with six friends.
  • Sunset is a vehicle we ride through the journey where we see in her position. Starlight is a convenient device of a collective ability of the Mane Six who solves the problem.
  • Nobody can replace Sunset. For Starlight, it would make a more interesting episode if we replace her with Twilight or Spike or someone of the Mane Six.

Sorry to be too critical to Starlight. I felt for her and rooted for her halfway through season 8. It's not just Starlight, it's about the show.

I really liked Starlight Glimmer and really didn't care about Sunset Shimmer. But as the whole show goes, FiM is going downhill. And EQG, in despite of it's past's mess, it has infinite opportunities. That's the biggest difference between the two.

Now I watch EQG because

1. I got used to the visuals. (When Alien first came out, people were disgusted by it. But after time, some people even think they are cute.) The clothes are way better and the animation is more natural.
  2. The EQG world works better, and in a slightly different way. After they show the character's houses and their working place, I feel more comfortable in the EQG world.
  3. I don't watch EQG because of the story anymore. I just want to see them reacting to each other. (I care most about shorts.) Still, if the story sucks, I will be disappointed.

I wish if they used all the effort making EQG into making FiM better instead. (Sunset is good, put her in FiM.)

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

Just now, Sunny Fox said:

My journey was shorter.

EGQ - Hmm, that was okay, had some huge flaws, but I didn't hate it.
EQG Rainbow Rocks - OH MY GOD, I LOVE THIS!

I think Rainbow Rocks is pretty good if I see the positive parts.

The only negative part is that it's a sequel to Equestria Girls.