Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Super Sentai: The origin of Power Rangers

SaburoDaimando

So lately, I've been checking out this live action Super Sentai series in Japan called "Gosei Sentai Dairanger."  The reason is because it's where the Mighty Morphin White Ranger outfit and the Thunderzords(Plus some of the monsters) came from.  And I find it a fascinating series to look at.  A shame we don't see all five Dairanger outfits in the Mighty Morphin Era(Not even as a power-up form for the rangers).

That being said, Super Sentai is a different beast from Power Rangers.  And I know some of you here may be fans of Super Sentai.  Outside of Dairanger, I also have Samurai Sentai Shinkenger(BOught it for the Samurai theme).  But what are your favorite Super Sentai series?  Which ones caught your attention?

Finally a super santai discussion.  My favorite series is Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, I like the antihero aspect from them. But basically all of them would caught my attention, I enjoyed watching the japan version, because the acting is more energetic than the american version. Although I enjoyed the american ones too, but the japan version is much more fun. 

• Brohoof 1

I remember watching Power Rangers when I was younger. I think I've seen every series, up until Operation Overdrive. After that, I started to watch the show less and less, but I've caught the show from time to time. I've heard about the Super Sentai series and they look really cool. I think the first time I've heard about Super Sentai was from Engine Sentai, Go-Onger. I remember seeing the passing of the torch from one sentai to another Since then super sentai had caught my interest. I haven't watched any of the Super Sentai series, but I'm planning to watch them sometime in the future. 

Some of the Super Sentai that had caught my interest are:

- Engine Sentai, Go-Onger
- Tensou Sentai, Goseiger
- Kaizoku Sentai, Gokaiger
- Ressha Sentai, ToQger
- Doubutsu Sentai: Zyuohger. 

4 minutes ago, Totally An Admirer said:

Oh, I really loved PR once. 

Irrelivent to the topic but did someone else remember any of the following.

Justirisers

Grandsazers

Sazer-X

Kaman-Riders

@Totally An Admirer I haven't heard of the first three, but I have heard of Kamen Rider. I think it's more of a mature Super Sentai, or something along those lines. I've only seen the transformations and the Kamen Rider outfits look really cool. The only Kamen Rider series I've heard of are: Kamen Rider Gaim and Kamen Rider W. 

The first Super Sentai show I got into was Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger, which was later adapted into Ninja Storm. And I absolutely loved it. I also watched the Hurricanger vs Gaoranger movie, since I desperately wanted to see the crossover between Ninja Storm and Wild Force that we never got in Power Rangers.

1 hour ago, Twilight Luna said:

Go-Onger was the first Sentai show I watched cause RMP looked so ridiculous with the cars having eyes that moved. 

I suggest watching RPM, its arguably one of the seasons of Power Rangers. 

14 minutes ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

The first Super Sentai show I got into was Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger, which was later adapted into Ninja Storm. And I absolutely loved it. I also watched the Hurricanger vs Gaoranger movie, since I desperately wanted to see the crossover between Ninja Storm and Wild Force that we never got in Power Rangers.

I suggest watching RPM, its arguably one of the seasons of Power Rangers. 

I did give it another chance and didn’t think that it was that bad. The actress that played Doctor K was great. SPD is probably my favorite season.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 1

29 minutes ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

Favorite season of the Disney era or favorite season of the entire show?

Favorite Super Sentai Series.

Mine is Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger and Ninja Sentai Kakuranger. I caught them on Amazon Prime, via the Shout Factory Channel.

14 minutes ago, YoshiAngemon said:

Favorite Super Sentai Series.

Mine is Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger and Ninja Sentai Kakuranger. I caught them on Amazon Prime, via the Shout Factory Channel.

What was your reaction to Hasbro buying Power Rangers and then it being announced that Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters would be adapted into Beast Morphers?

4 minutes ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

What was your reaction to Hasbro buying Power Rangers and then it being announced that Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters would be adapted into Beast Morphers?

Couldn't care less, because I don't have Nick to enjoy it. I'm not as avid a viewer as I used to be.

6 hours ago, Theanimationfanatic said:

I'm surprised that they chose to adapt a previously-skipped Sentai series.

• Brohoof 1

A lot of the footage you see in Power Rangers was taken directly from the Sentai with voice overs though you can actually tell when this happens due to the lighting and what cameras were used. Super Sentai has been around since 1975 so for Japan, it has become integrated with their society. Saban originally wanted to adapt a Sentai from 1988 into what would eventually become Power Rangers but the idea got turned down so they waited until 1993 and adapted Dairanger.

Sometimes, they will be faithful to the Sentai while other times they will go in a completely different direction.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

A lot of the footage you see in Power Rangers was taken directly from the Sentai with voice overs though you can actually tell when this happens due to the lighting and what cameras were used. Super Sentai has been around since 1975 so for Japan, it has become integrated with their society. Saban originally wanted to adapt a Sentai from 1988 into what would eventually become Power Rangers but the idea got turned down so they waited until 1993 and adapted Dairanger.

Sometimes, they will be faithful to the Sentai while other times they will go in a completely different direction.

You mean Zyuranger.  

And there are times where the Power Rangers adaption is considered better than its Super Sentai Counterpart(Case in Point: The Lost Galaxy >>>>>Gingaman)

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, SaburoDaimando said:

You mean Zyuranger.  

And there are times where the Power Rangers adaption is considered better than its Super Sentai Counterpart(Case in Point: The Lost Galaxy >>>>>Gingaman)

My mistake. I don't usually look up the Japanese names of the Sentai series' so thanks for correcting me.

Another example would be RPM being better than its Sentai counterpart in my own opinion of course.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, SaburoDaimando said:

I think there was a Power Ranger series that was different that it's Super Sentai Counterpart. I believe it was In Space and Megaranger. In Space was all about space opera themed, while Megaranger was all about video game/electronics. I'm not entirely sure if that's accurate, but please correct me if that was incorrect. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...