Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Gummy is not a live alligator?

Sepul-Coloratura

I guess basically this was the major reason. Once upon a time Harry Potter made sure thats lots of kids would buy owls and then those owls were abandoned on the streets. So I assume that with alligators there were a similar story. From the realistic point of view it would be a bit difficult for Pinkie Pie to acquire a live gator

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 4

I remember when they made it illegal to own a pet aligator in the state of Washington. I was a very sad child that day. I think the final straw was idiot parents would keep the damn things in the same room as an infant but I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, shyabetes3939 said:

Because a human with a live alligator as a pet would be weird.

Well, for me, ponies living with a live alligator is wierd too.

EQG is not like real world, it's a cartoon world. There are purple, green, blue, mint colored people, there are people growing wings, having superpowers, shooting laser beams, levitating, etc.

11 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

I guess basically this was the major reason. Once upon a time Harry Potter made sure thats lots of kids would buy owls and then those owls were abandoned on the streets. So I assume that with alligators there were a similar story.

Well the same problem applies to tortoise, dogs, lizards, cats, rabbits tho.

Considering that alligators as pets isn't really a thing and would be deemed as fantastical among other things, they decided to make Gummy a plushie that Pinkie has that she views as her pet. No one really questions her sanity here so she will likely continue treating Gummy however she sees fit. Besides, I think Pinkie does a great job utilizing her imagination.

• Brohoof 3

14 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Considering that alligators as pets isn't really a thing and would be deemed as fantastical among other things, they decided to make Gummy a plushie that Pinkie has that she views as her pet. No one really questions her sanity here so she will likely continue treating Gummy however she sees fit. Besides, I think Pinkie does a great job utilizing her imagination.

For me, treating a plushie like a live pet is weirder than having a baby alligator. (not just liking the thing a lot, but actually acting despite the reality.) I also don’t think Pinkie is insane.

• Brohoof 1

On 9/18/2018 at 6:04 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Why Gummy is not a live baby alligator with no teeth? Because kids might want to grow alligators in real life? I don't know. Someone give me an answer.

Pinkie Pie acting like a stuffed plushie is alive is just strange. Even in Pinkie standards.

There’s a limit of suspension of disbelief in a setting closer to us, and I’m sure having a live pet alligator crosses that line :dash:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

For me, treating a plushie like a live pet is weirder than having a baby alligator. (not just liking the thing a lot, but actually acting despite the reality.) I also don’t think Pinkie is insane.

I mean, Pony Pinkie Pie also treats Gummy like he's more 'trained' than what he actually is.  So it's not that far fetched a human version would do the same to a stuffed animal, which makes more sense in a fantastical world.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

EQG is not like real world, it's a cartoon world. There are purple, green, blue, mint colored people, there are people growing wings, having superpowers, shooting laser beams, levitating, etc.

Those "Wings, Superpowers, shooting Laser Beams and Levitating"... aren't from the human world as it's a result of magic from the EG world escaping into their own.  The skin colors is just a design choice as it's not the first cartoon to feature more 'realistic' settings but still feature characters of strange skin colors.  Doug is an example of this.

C'mon, let Pinkie have her fun. 

I think Equestria Girls is supposed to be somewhat more grounded than Friendship is Magic, especially given that all of the magic is suggested to have come through the portal, so human Pinkie having a pet alligator would be a bit weirder in that context. You know, a little bit. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, Steve Piranha said:

There’s a limit of suspension of disbelief in a setting closer to us, and I’m sure having a live pet alligator crosses that line :dash:

Very true. Alligators are terrible pets. That's why we keep cats, dogs, hamsters, and parakeets as pets.

39 minutes ago, Buttonmash1973 said:

Remember the villain from Rescuers had pet alligators.

Keyword being "villain".

Plus, it's a little less grounded when you consider it centers around a rescue society of mice.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They probably wanted Gummy to be a toy because real alligators are a threat to most.

Like in Pet Project, even though Gummy is not a real pet, Pinkie still treats him like one.

Image result for mlp "SS7.png" "pie images/EG"

Edited by FirePuppy

1 minute ago, cmarston1 said:

As silly and unrealistic EQG can get, one of the main characters owning a dangerous wild animal as a pet is a line I don't think the show is willing to cross.

Not sure that is true. The whole point of gummy is that he is toothless (looks around for dragons) no, not THAT toothless, actually gummy.

That would be harmless enough even for EqG.

Real ponies are dangerous too. The real problem is that people have a Disney'fied view of nature where they think all animals are their 'friends' and can be treated as such, or at least 'impressed' by their 'innocent intentions'. Animals need to be treated with respect, and feared for their ferocity. While some are domesticated to the point of insane harmlessness, they are the rare exception. Even some of these 'reality' shows that display rabid dogs and such being 'tamed' is another affront to the truth. I don't know where this 'animals are humans too' bullshit started, but it's obviously very dangerous, and incredibly disrespectful of nature.

21 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Not sure that is true. The whole point of gummy is that he is toothless...

That would be harmless enough even for EqG.

I think this is the core reason.

While in FiM the ponies and pets live in a fantasy world when you don't need an explanation of "what or how does Gummy eats?", the EQG world tries to be a real life world invaded by magic, the question would be legit there and ultimately you'll either have an irresponsible girl with a dangerous animal as a pet or an ignorant girl who took the teeth out of an animal to make it her pet... Too weird a situation to come up with something decent.

Also, Pinkie treating a plush as a pet is not the weirdest thing in the world.

I also want to point out that in my little pony the difference between animals and not animals seems to be do they speak a common language. We've seen over and over again that the animals are a lot more intelligent and capable than in our world (laying aside the weirdness that is the talking cows which rely on the apples to milk them). We've seen Angel practicing for Pawkor and demanding a specific meal from a cookbook, we've seen bears wearing a towel and scrubbing brush, we've seen Fluttershy repeatedly talk to wild animals and be understood (her doing the same in Equestria Girls with her geode raises many disturbing questions), we've seen wild animals literally come into town to visit the vet or fluttershy's sanctuary, we've seen them able to tell Fluttershy about events that happened generations ago in their valley indicating they pass on information from parent to child, we've seen gummy narrate things in an English acent, we've seen an eagle give a good sportsman wingshake to a tortoise after losing the best pet contest, in the alternate uninverse/less canon environment of the comics we see the animals talking amongst themselves and making a deal with Discord to talk pony for a day.

So Gummy is more than capable of understanding what's happening and that he shouldn't eat other pets unlike a real world aliigator that wouldn't. The problem as I mentioned above is that we see Fluttershy talking to animals in Equestria Girls which indicates that maybe their world has intelligent animals too.

Edited by Senko

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 1:26 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Well, for me, ponies living with a live alligator is wierd too.

Well the same problem applies to tortoise, dogs, lizards, cats, rabbits tho.

I turtals too. I didn't fact check it, but come on! who didn't grow up on tmnt? :-)

On 12/23/2018 at 1:40 AM, FirePuppy said:

They probably wanted Gummy to be a toy because real alligators are a threat to most.

Like in Pet Project, even though Gummy is not a real pet, Pinkie still treats him like one.

Image result for mlp "SS7.png" "pie images/EG"

true! would you want a real alligator to do something to pinkie pie?

also, weve all been in that stage of life where you are sertain that your'e toys can talk and you can talk and treat them like living things and so on

On 11/11/2018 at 10:19 PM, Buttonmash1973 said:

Remember the villain from Rescuers had pet alligators.

that is not helping. pinkie pie is nothing like that demon of a charecter!!