Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions A couple questions/suggestions

BornAgainBrony

So, a couple things I've noticed, but maybe am just not seeing the "proper" channels for such.

#1. A week ago or so, somebody was inviting others to join a Brony Second Life community. Keep in mind, Second Life is technically a game, and probably the closest thing the world currently has to "The Oasis" of Ready Player One. It can be designed to be pretty immersive, with lots of modded content, effectively making it possible to create a virtual Equestria to interact in. This thread was locked as "advertising." I'm wondering if the definition of advertising is too broad in cases like this. It's certainly not the same as, say... inviting users to join another forum. Gaming is a completely different animal. Would the same post have been a problem were it posted in the gaming section (and I'm kind of surprised it didn't get moved there instead of Sugarcube and then locked)? Gaming communities are an important thing, and Brony clans would be a cool thing to happen, but based on what I witnessed, there wouldn't be a way to try forming such a thing here without breaking the rules. And in a way, that brings me to #2...

#2: General convention discussion section? Currently, the convention part of the forums only has sections for very specific conventions, and this is far from an exhaustive list of the conventions that exist. Currently, there seems to be no correct place to discuss those other cons. Also, if one were to try to organize a gathering or a party at such an event, that might again fall under the definition of advertising, especially if there is no correct forum section to even discuss it.

We disallow advertising for many reasons. Feel free to PM me with the link and I'll look into it. Basically, we allow some advertising in appropriate places, but we generally frown when someone creates a topic that serves as basically an ad. Some users get that icky feeling when they see those, because ads online don't have a glowing reputation. ;)

Of course, the person could always reach out to an Admin to discuss it in more detail (like the rule says). I will tell you this ... I didn't let someone advertise his Minecraft server here recently ... but that was because he approached staff with a general "I don't care about this community here ... I just want people in my spot". If a new user comes here and links a community elsewhere, that's usually seen as a dick move. If you are already a member of the community and established, we can chat more about it, of course. You see? There are a lot of variables that go into that decision. 

Con discussion can be a topic in Sugarcube Corner. It is where they have gone before. We don't see enough of those threads to warrant its own section. 

• Brohoof 3

This was the thread I saw. Unfortunately that game kind of blurs the lines between gaming and chatting, but I also see it as important to know that such tools are out there, with how many users would love to actually "live" in Equestria.

On 9/23/2018 at 4:40 PM, bornAgainEquestrian said:

This was the thread I saw. Unfortunately that game kind of blurs the lines between gaming and chatting, but I also see it as important to know that such tools are out there, with how many users would love to actually "live" in Equestria.

Hm. 

I’ll take this to staff going forward, but I’m fine with a topic that exists to drum up interest for pony second life. The OP doesn’t own the game, we have no competing interests, and it isn’t NSFW, so I see no harm in it. 

• Brohoof 1