Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Blocked users are able to tell that they are blocked

Will Guide

I was told that people I choose to ignore would not be notified by them being added to the Ignore Users list, yet one member figured it out because they couldn't send me a message?

That kinda defeats the purpose of respecting the privacy and anonymous identity of the people involved. Can someone improve the system?

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Willusion said:

I was told that people I choose to ignore would not be notified by them being added to the Ignore Users list, yet one member figured it out because they couldn't send me a message?

This is working as intended by the software development team that created this forum software. For instance, if someone realizes that they can't send a message to a person, they may think that there is a issue with the forum software. If they ask me, I am going to advise the that there isn't a bug and they are blocked. Also, I know this is semantics, but they are not notified ... but a smart person can put 2 and 2 together quickly enough. 

That kinda defeats the purpose of respecting the privacy and anonymous identity of the people involved. Can someone improve the system?

The purpose behind blocking someone is not to protect anonymity of the act of blocking, it is just to prevent someone from seeing or interacting with the blocked individual. What you are talking about is shadow blocking someone, which is not something I would personally support. Adjusting the code through creating a hook or plug-in is possible, yes ... but it simply isn't worth the effort to attempt this. You also would be asking for trouble by toying with the files that handled messaging and notifications ... and further updates would likely break this requiring someone in staff to constant support this change going forward. 

EDIT: I changed the title text to correctly state the issue since they do not receive any notification giving them an indication that they are blocked. They have to deduce this. 

• Brohoof 3

• The title was changed to Blocked users are able to tell that they are blocked

I had the same thing happen awhile back. One person on here figured out I blocked him because he couldn't send me a message. Glad this has been explained now.