Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The most important question of the movie is never answered

ManaMinori

Let's go back to Klugetown- a bustling city of muted colors, along with its earth-toned residents, each who have to struggle just to make ends meet, from day to day. It's not a pleasant place by any means. So then, how is it that Capper- a mangy street rat...I mean, cat...is even able to know what  a frivolous festival confection that cotton candy is, to be able to address and nickname Pinkie Pie after the brightly colored snack- especially if- given the context- he admitted that such bright colors within Klugetown (or presumably anywhere else outside of Klugetown where its imports would come from) were lacking  and "not natural".

• Brohoof 2

Circus could have come through town. Entertainment is always welcome and my understanding is that they're cheap and back in the day were pretty lucrative so just the sort of business for Klugetown to welcome. With it, it'd bring food vendors and souvenirs to sell to the crowds and cotton candy is an all time favorite. It's easy to make for very little, it's unique in appearance and texture. It's one of those foods that leaves an impression to the point it's difficult not to sell it.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Let's go back to Klugetown- a bustling city of muted colors, along with its earth-toned residents, each who have to struggle just to make ends meet, from day to day. It's not a pleasant place by any means. So then, how is it that Capper- a mangy street rat...I mean, cat...is even able to know what  a frivolous festival confection that cotton candy is, to be able to address and nickname Pinkie Pie after the brightly colored snack- especially if- given the context- he admitted that such bright colors within Klugetown (or presumably anywhere else outside of Klugetown where its imports would come from) were lacking  and "not natural".

I bold the question in the quote

Seriously, this is the most important question in movie and not, oh, I don't know, the threat of the Storm King? :okiedokieloki:

To quote Ron Weasley: "You need to sort out your priorities"

And besides,  as @CloudMistDragon said,

9 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Cotton candy is not rare or expensive and even bustling cities with struggling citizens are capable of housing black markets.

If you ask me, this question isn't even important and trivial at best.

• Brohoof 2

A more important question is why in season two, episode seven "May The Best Pet Win" does Rainbow Dash know what tanks and guns are?

She wants a pet "Fast like a bullet" and then names him "Tank" because nothing will stop him.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Since the movie is aimed at a young audience combined with a limited amount of time, some questions end up being unanswered resulting in people wondering what those answers could be. I'm going to say that Klugetown is familiar with party confectionary though to what extent remains unknown.

1 hour ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

A more important question is why in season two, episode seven "May The Best Pet Win" does Rainbow Dash know what tanks and guns are?

She wants a pet "Fast like a bullet" and then names him "Tank" because nothing will stop him.

I swear you people,,, :laugh: Nightmare Muffin started a topic asking this very question like two days ago!

2 hours ago, Willusion said:

Seriously, this is the most important question in movie and not, oh, I don't know, the threat of the Storm King? :okiedokieloki:

I'd like to know how long it took him to become such a threat because he forced the hippogriffs to stay underwater for a generation which meant he was in control of the south well before Twilight ever got to Ponyville. I'd like to think he spent that time cementing his reign and building up in strength but It seems that fell apart once he was defeated. Then again he came off as a bit of an imbecile so Tempest might have really been pulling the strings which she stopped doing after his betrayal so there wasn't anything to hold his Kingdom up after that. Which means if she really wanted to she could have taken his throne for herself but now we're left with a fleet of airships that's being left unattended :sealed:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 2:08 AM, SharpWit said:

I'd like to know how long it took him to become such a threat because he forced the hippogriffs to stay underwater for a generation which meant he was in control of the south well before Twilight ever got to Ponyville. I'd like to think he spent that time cementing his reign and building up in strength but It seems that fell apart once he was defeated. Then again he came off as a bit of an imbecile so Tempest might have really been pulling the strings which she stopped doing after his betrayal so there wasn't anything to hold his Kingdom up after that.

A more pressing question is "Where was his home kingdom, and what's going on there now?" Last thing they need now is some fallen ruler of an Empire leaving a power void that eventually leads to some kind of "First Order" thing happening. Did the Storm King have an heir? Did Civil War break out? Somepony should probably look into wherever the heck he came from before all Hell breaks loose.

7 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

A more pressing question is "Where was his home kingdom, and what's going on there now?" Last thing they need now is some fallen ruler of an Empire leaving a power void that eventually leads to some kind of "First Order" thing happening. Did the Storm King have an heir? Did Civil War break out? Somepony should probably look into wherever the heck he came from before all Hell breaks loose.

Well his home kingdom is here on a large island, South West of the continent but it was never given an official name.

545217216_StormKingsHome.png.08e0520e30b234ff187c8a5a2eb2ff08.png

It wouldn't have been a terribly big empire in terms of population. Klugetown seemed to have only recently come under their control so perhaps they were spending most of their time figuring out or readying themselves for crossing that massive dessert since you can risk losing an entire army that way.

The Storm King wasn't the most inspiring of leaders and his control was tight in some areas but loose in others. Things certainly aren't perfect now but neither were they under his rule, so I imagine the general area just returned back to how it was as a conglomerate of various creatures with an unregulated society. It would be nice to see how things turned out. Perhaps Grubber sits on the throne eating pastries all day.

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, SharpWit said:

Well his home kingdom is here on a large island, South West of the continent but it was never given an official name.

545217216_StormKingsHome.png.08e0520e30b234ff187c8a5a2eb2ff08.png

It wouldn't have been a terribly big empire in terms of population. Klugetown seemed to have only recently come under their control so perhaps they were spending most of their time figuring out or readying themselves for crossing that massive dessert since you can risk losing an entire army that way.

The Storm King wasn't the most inspiring of leaders and his control was tight in some areas but loose in others. Things certainly aren't perfect now but neither were they under his rule, so I imagine the general area just returned back to how it was as a conglomerate of various creatures with an unregulated society. It would be nice to see how things turned out. Perhaps Grubber sits on the throne eating pastries all day.

He had a pretty formidable military, one that could've easily overthrown him if they wanted to. And they were more well equipped than any other force that we've seen. Not just the ships but also the body armor.

I'd take a guess the Storm King spent most of his time behind the scenes pulling strings, using Tempest as the prominent figurehead. Tempest doesn't waste time fooling around and is much more effective at scaring the tar out of dissenters. Also, pirates are usually the LAST people you would expect to bow down to anything; that's kind of a lot of the point to being a pirate, so some pretty impressive shizzle must've gone down when they made the choice to transition into to a law-abiding shipping company.

I have to guess that SK's homeland wasn't really known to Equestria "proper" though. Even the news of the hippogriff exile was unknown to them, and the seaponies seemed to suggest that they had been living down there a pretty long time. Just how long ago did any Equestrian Ponies have any contact with that region, and why did Celestia immediately think they would be the best ones to get help from? Why not the Gryphons, Yaks, or the Crystal Empire?

More outlying territories having more freedom really isn't that surprising. There was no 'imperial' presence until Tempest got there. Either the place is simply neglected (maybe not strategic enough to bother with a strong presence?) or a more independently-minded baron of sorts was tasked with keeping an eye on things. Given the scavenger-like nature though and their preference of relying on trade and barter instead of more easily-taxable fiat currency, it seems unlikely that Klugetown was even actually under the control of any particular nation and wasn't seen to be enough of a threat to even bother with. Even if that isn't the case, there are plenty of real-world examples of similar things happening; singular chaotic cities running amok even while the surrounding lands all follow a well-regulated order.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

I have to guess that SK's homeland wasn't really known to Equestria "proper" though. Even the news of the hippogriff exile was unknown to them, and the seaponies seemed to suggest that they had been living down there a pretty long time. Just how long ago did any Equestrian Ponies have any contact with that region, and why did Celestia immediately think they would be the best ones to get help from? Why not the Gryphons, Yaks, or the Crystal Empire?

Well the Hippogriffs live on an island that is mostly island which makes it an easilly defendable position. The population likely isn't the largest but as a species they're larger than ponies, and having the ability to fly gives them the potential for immediate strong air support. The Yaks can provide strength but they're limited to ground maneuvers. The Griffons are also strong and can fly but they're not very organized or fond of ponies which makes their reliability questionable. The Crystal Empire acts more as a vassal to Equestria rather than a fully independent nation. It's ruler, Princess Cadence was captured which means if they weren't already being conquered, they could be forced to stand down at risk of harm coming to their leader. Celestia doesn't know that the Hippogriffs are in exile, but that they are the most versatile ally she has and is already present in the region these invaders have come from.

The quickest way I see this conflict ending is to strike at the heart of the enemy. If the Storm King and his homeland are taken, then they should be able to enter an armistice, or they can expect the Storm King's armies to retreat to take back their home. This would allow Equestria to regroup and chase after them or at least repel what remains.

As for contact with the region, there's not a whole lot in it that's worth looking at, you have to cross a large desert, and the locals have no qualms over selling ponies into slavery or selling their parts. It is not a welcoming place.

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

As for contact with the region, there's not a whole lot in it that's worth looking at, you have to cross a large desert, and the locals have no qualms over selling ponies into slavery or selling their parts. It is not a welcoming place.

Basically, it's a hive of scum and villainy.

• 2 weeks later...

Only one question? The movie is riddled with plot holes that I’m told are only explained in the comic. How does Celestia know who the Hippogriffs are but not the Storm King? What was the queen of the Hippogriffs going to do to help the ponies before Twilight messed things up? How does the Tempest know there is a specific spot in the throne room to put the staff in order to absorb the magic?

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 1