Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best way to bring Sunset Shimmer to FiM?

Sepul-Coloratura

At this point, coming up with a way to introduce Sunset (and all her background) into FiM would take a good chunk of the episode in exposition.

I think the best way to bring Sunset into FiM would be a map mission, let the episode begin with Twilight and Spike at the castle and suddenly Sunset coming with her cutie mark glowing. No explanation whatsoever, treat her as a good old friend of Twilight (which she is). Let her have her mission with another character, Starlight and Twilight come to the top of my mind but it could be anypony at this point, and finish it with a 'see you soon' and Sunset going through the portal.

• Brohoof 5

24 minutes ago, shyabetes3939 said:

Maybe the Mane 6 and Starlight are fighting a villain in the Season 9 premiere and need one more pony, so Sunset is called in from the human world.

Yeah. but the audience who doesn't know about her would be like "who's she?" and the people know her be like "why not call her before?"

5 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

At this point, coming up with a way to introduce Sunset (and all her background) into FiM would take a good chunk of the episode in exposition.

I think the best way to bring Sunset into FiM would be a map mission, let the episode begin with Twilight and Spike at the castle and suddenly Sunset coming with her cutie mark glowing. No explanation whatsoever, treat her as a good old friend of Twilight (which she is). Let her have her mission with another character, Starlight and Twilight come to the top of my mind but it could be anypony at this point, and finish it with a 'see you soon' and Sunset going through the portal.

That might be a nice way, but still people who didn't saw EQG would be confused to see a close friend of Twilight since they never seen them being friends on screen.

Probably better than a flashback. And an expositional dialogue would be awkward.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

She's come back twice and reconciled with Celestia, and the show has been going on long enough to where I think everyone besides small children should know who she is by this point unless they've gone out of their way to avoid Equestria Girls. I think DonMaguz's way of having her be summoned by the map works best, and since she knows Twilight and Starlight Glimmer she can basically be treated as an old friend. We've been introduced to several diverse new characters in recent times so I don't see how there'd be too much of a hiccup over it.

There comes a point where one more powerful unicorn doesn't really amount to much, so if you can't come up with anything other than "we need more power!", then she obviously doesn't need to return. And the rest of the non-issue map problems can just as easily be simulated in EQG.

You can still kick human Sunset into Equestria as a new character. No such suggestions? Yeah, having your char supplanted can be real shit, eh. Don't worry ... Cause H-Bro sure wouldn't :P

At the very least mentioning Sunset Shimmer at this point shouldn't really be that hard.  All that would be needed would be for the students to say that Twilight is great at teaching friendship, and for her to say that she has had experience teaching friendship to both Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer, who would be described as a friend from far away.

Edited by cmarston1

Bringing Sunset into the show now after eight seasons would be really difficult--not impossible mind you--given that she has never once been mentioned in FiM and that the first true reference to Equestria Girls came during the events of Shadow Play in the form of the Dazzlings in their true forms. I really would like Sunset to make an appearance but it would need to be handled with absolute perfection though it would require a mini story arc for it to work. It would also require quite a lot of retconning of seasons four and onward unless the show staff think it isn't necessary.

• Brohoof 1

It'd take a lot more effort than has been previously done. EG has been set up in a way where you can watch FiM without really missing anything. You can actually choose to have it as part of your headCANON or not. It would take a lot more planning to bring Sunset back to Equestria and would be something that hasn't been tried before.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, SharpWit said:

She's come back twice and reconciled with Celestia, and the show has been going on long enough to where I think everyone besides small children should know who she is by this point unless they've gone out of their way to avoid Equestria Girls. I think DonMaguz's way of having her be summoned by the map works best, and since she knows Twilight and Starlight Glimmer she can basically be treated as an old friend. We've been introduced to several diverse new characters in recent times so I don't see how there'd be too much of a hiccup over it.

Umm... Both times Sunset returned to the Pony world was in the EG series.  So if they just don't watch EG they'd not have seen those episodes.

Anyways, personally, it really depends on what you mean by 'introduce Sunset into FIM'  Do you mean bring her in as a more main stay? (like Starlight or Trixy or even Discord) or just for a single event?  (rather it spands episodes or not.)

If for the 'special event' personally it'd work best as either a EG special or maybe more dubbed as a EG/FIM cross over special (yeah it's happened before but this would be fully dubbed a cross over event).

But if you mean to bring her into the series as a more main stay... I'd actually say the better way would be to use the 'missing' "Human" Sunset.  (IE the one that was born in the human world)… Perhaps she was sent back to the pony world for some way and the Friendship map calls them there.  Twilight COULD make a reference to the other one but otherwise just ignore the other one.

However, if they DID add her, it'd not be the first time they tied in a 'movie'.  As in they did tie in the MLP: FIM Movie and gave brief explanation' for the events for those who hadn't seen the movie.

2 minutes ago, JCKane said:

Umm... Both times Sunset returned to the Pony world was in the EG series.  So if they just don't watch EG they'd not have seen those episodes.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, SharpWit said:

everyone besides small children should know who she is by this point unless they've gone out of their way to avoid Equestria Girls.

You seem to have missed this.

6 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

You seem to have missed this.

No, I didn't miss it.  I'm simply going based on how they would introduce it.

After all, the show is targeted towards those young children, and thus they'd want to set it up that way.  Not to mention, just because they know of Sunset Shimmer, doesn't mean they really know of the sanificants of her.  They could simply not want to watch EG and not really talk about it... which they don't really have too have 'gone out of their way to avoid' it either.  Simply they just don't pay attention to things revolved around it.

16 minutes ago, JCKane said:

No, I didn't miss it.  I'm simply going based on how they would introduce it.

After all, the show is targeted towards those young children, and thus they'd want to set it up that way.  Not to mention, just because they know of Sunset Shimmer, doesn't mean they really know of the sanificants of her.  They could simply not want to watch EG and not really talk about it... which they don't really have too have 'gone out of their way to avoid' it either.  Simply they just don't pay attention to things revolved around it.

Even with that in mind, why can't they just give her a cameo as a portrait or something? It's not like those who don't watch EqG would need to know anything, since it'd be just a little extra for those who do know about her.

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, JCKane said:

They could simply not want to watch EG and not really talk about it

22 minutes ago, JCKane said:

Simply they just don't pay attention to things revolved around it.

That's called avoiding it.

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

Even with that in mind, why can't they just give her a cameo as a portrait or something? It's not like those who don't watch EqG would need to know anything, since it'd be just a little extra for those who do know about her.

You'd have to ask the creators about that... Cuz I'd actualy wish they would... even made a topic about it :P

26 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

That's called avoiding it.

There's a difference between "Actively avoiding something" and "Simply not looking for it".

• 2 months later...

I have writeen a really awsome fanfiction about how sunset was called by the map with spike, and it appeares to her in a dream:

she runnes to the portal, and sent to a frinedship mission.

but mine took place after the events of rainbow rocks so that her problem (one that I created) would be simillar to the problem that the pony had.

btw that problam was conected to the fact that sunset is still in the human world and how it effected her friends' lives.

so.... love to see that happen, but they missed the deadline. :-)

• 3 months later...

Whether she appears or not would be a huge nod to fans of both stories.  What if 9 introduces some biblical apocalypse to Equestria, with rifts into the world of EG? We've already seen references to these rifts still existing in the EG films.

It's plausible Sunset could return for a few episodes of 9, and heck, even tragically say goodbye in some act of valor to save both worlds.  Yeah that would wreck a lot of fans of her including myself, but how awesome would it be to see Daydream Shimmer return to fight off evil again?

That's a pretty big if, and I'm generally more interested in Equestria Girls content which takes place in Equestria, simply because it has less to explain. The biggest problem is that I just can't think of any stories involving Sunset Shimmer that could only be told in Equestria, and besides, Equestria Girls is has shown Sunset as a pony on multiple occasions, so why does Sunset even need to be in Friendship is Magic? 

But if she were to show up, the best way would be to either explain that she is a friend from far away, or maybe just rapidly tell the truth that she's a pony living in another dimension who used to be a villain before Twilight stopped her and "it's a long story." There's no way she would appear for more than a single episode, though; she'd almost certainly either be a cameo or specifically show up so she could learn a moral about being in Equestria.

I guess if they had decided in a previous season to introduce her to the main cast, it would have been best to tell a story about her readjustment to her home dimension, and dole out exposition in bits and pieces throughout that episode. But really, that was never going to happen. 

• 1 month later...

I know a good way. Don't. Please enlighten me on why bringing Sunset to FiM would benefit the show in any way? Not to mention that the entire rest of the seasons has already been written.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

I know a good way. Don't. Please enlighten me on why bringing Sunset to FiM would benefit the show in any way?

I think it would be cool if Sunset went back to Equestria briefly to say "goodbye" to Princess Celestia & Twilight Sparkle

if EQG has a "series finale" of their own.

Edited by Sparklefan1234

• 1 month later...