Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think G5 is planned too soon?

Sepul-Coloratura

I would like to see G5, but I think we need some time after G4 ends. Good sequels takes time to come out, not only if planned from the beginning like The Lord of the Rings movies.

It is the same feeling when we see Star Wars's endless release schedule (Episodes, Star Wars Stories, etc.), Marvel movies planned up to 2999, Avatar planned up to have a dozen sequels. (not always a bad thing for the fans, but it loses it's aura.)

Just like G4 was a fresh start a while after G3, I think we need some time (not too long) to let go G4 when it ends, have good memories, celebrate it. If G5 just starts like season 10, people would take it like it's season 10 when it's not. We need time, so if any old character's next gen version comes up, we get thrilled like seeing an old friend after a while. (even if it is quite different.) People would get hyped like when Samurai Jack returned, so not only the ones who kept watching the show until season 9, but other audiences who stopped at early seasons would come back. I think it would have wider audiences.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

Well, last we know from the leaks, is that G5 is estimated to be released in 2020 with a film, there’s apparently a rumor where FIM may get a 13 episodes tenth season to make time since G5 is delayed :mlp_huh:

I'll say what I say for every other "prospecting about G5" thread. I won't entirely believe the leaks until there is actual confirmation that this is the case. We can keep on thinking about it but until solid hard proof is shown, I'm not exactly sold.

I would assume it would all depend on toy sales - FiM has been a cash-cow for them, so unless they see it as competing too much with the G5 toy lines, we may see it continue in some form or another after the G5 launch (and maybe after, if G5 sales aren't strong). maybe specials like EqG seems to be getting?

Edited by Cypherhoof

2 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

G5 hasn't even been officially announced yet. 

Sensible for Hasbro to plan for it though; we can't really expect G4 to sell forever, and each time the toyline was refreshed, they gained an uptick in sales.

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, last we know from the leaks, is that G5 is estimated to be released in 2020 with a film, there’s apparently a rumor where FIM may get a 13 episodes tenth season to make time since G5 is delayed :mlp_huh:

I've also heard it may be a test pilot, meaning if it isn't well-received, Hasbro could try something else.

I'm still holding out that they realize a reboot isn't needed, when there's so many other stories they could tell in the G4 universe. Go back or forward in time, or focus on a different town. If people are getting tired of the Mane 6 (and really that's the only logical reason to abandon the show, and explains why the Student 6 became a thing), then let's go out there and meet some new Ponies instead of distorting the Mane 6 into some weird parallel dimension that feels like a Changeling invasion.

• Brohoof 1

But alas, it will come too late. The toy market will collapse, and their digital efforts cannot be maintained in the land already ruled by gods and giants. H-Bro, what do they want to become? Do they even know?

1 hour ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

I've also heard it may be a test pilot, meaning if it isn't well-received, Hasbro could try something else.

I'm still holding out that they realize a reboot isn't needed, when there's so many other stories they could tell in the G4 universe. Go back or forward in time, or focus on a different town. If people are getting tired of the Mane 6 (and really that's the only logical reason to abandon the show, and explains why the Student 6 became a thing), then let's go out there and meet some new Ponies instead of distorting the Mane 6 into some weird parallel dimension that feels like a Changeling invasion.

Yeah, I’d love if they just change main characters and place in a spin-off 

Not really I think it's about time considering that Disney has three year policy and only extending the most popular ones. I don't think that Samurai Jack can even be compared to MLP, it would be like if Twilight Sparkle had been forced to deal with Nightmare Moon for nine seasons, and Twilight would be forced to jump into the future or something. The premise that many people would quickly loose interest to care about.

Edited by R.D.Dash

7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Yeah, I’d love if they just change main characters and place in a spin-off 

So... yeah. Since abandoning G4 is completely unnecessary to create new shows? Yes, it's too soon. As will it be 1000 years from now. :-P

9 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

But alas, it will come too late. The toy market will collapse, and their digital efforts cannot be maintained in the land already ruled by gods and giants. H-Bro, what do they want to become? Do they even know?

I don't know but when they figure it out, then they'll choose to go into the digital realm and abandon the physicality of toys, and then we can have Equestria in "The Oasis." Win/win?

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

I honestly can't say if it's planned too soon or not, in some ways it feels like it is but that's just cuz I really love the show and don't want it to end, so any "ending time"- no matter how far into the future, will always feel too soon for me. Realistically, I guess the timing would make sense considering that the show would be in it's tenth year at that point.  

I'd rather there not be another MLP show after this, it's gone on far too long and I think we have had enough ponies. If we do another show, I would prefer it to be completely different, with actual writing and not just propping up the same boring old billiard balls that are the mane 6. 

On 9/26/2018 at 3:25 AM, bornAgainEquestrian said:

So... yeah. Since abandoning G4 is completely unnecessary to create new shows? Yes, it's too soon. As will it be 1000 years from now. :-P

I don't know but when they figure it out, then they'll choose to go into the digital realm and abandon the physicality of toys, and then we can have Equestria in "The Oasis." Win/win?

The thing is, other big game companies can hijack their shit. They have finally gotten off their assess and made a somewhat available MTG online experience. Guess what, Blizzard did it better. H-Bro has no experience nor do they seem to have a will to learn about games. The market is pretty darn competitive. Then there's Disney spreading its tendrils everywhere. The moment H-Bro gets from being a mostly toy company to mostly "IP holder", they'll get stabbed in the back with so many daggers they won't believe.

On 9/25/2018 at 3:25 PM, Steve Piranha said:

I Hope that is true! A 10th FiM season would be a nice number to round off the series with 

On 9/29/2018 at 1:21 PM, Goat-kun said:

The thing is, other big game companies can hijack their shit. They have finally gotten off their assess and made a somewhat available MTG online experience. Guess what, Blizzard did it better. H-Bro has no experience nor do they seem to have a will to learn about games. The market is pretty darn competitive. Then there's Disney spreading its tendrils everywhere. The moment H-Bro gets from being a mostly toy company to mostly "IP holder", they'll get stabbed in the back with so many daggers they won't believe.

It's the new game though. Hasbro either needs to either evolve or they're going to perish if your hypothesis about the future of toys is accurate (and I'm kind of inclined to believe it is - a toy (non-gaming/cellphone) hasn't been the #1 holiday seller to kids in over a decade). It doesn't mean Hasbro can't turn into an IP-based company though. With Blizzard, what game are you talking about? An online Warcraft TCG? Other corporations can try to make a game that is better than whatever Hasbro comes up with, but it doesn't mean they can just make an MLP game if they feel like it. Hasbro would be deciding who gets to make those games and in the end, they'd be getting some of that moolah, so I don't see where the issue is. And if some company had any interest in cloning MLP, they would have already done it by now.

17 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

It's the new game though. Hasbro either needs to either evolve or they're going to perish if your hypothesis about the future of toys is accurate (and I'm kind of inclined to believe it is - a toy (non-gaming/cellphone) hasn't been the #1 holiday seller to kids in over a decade). It doesn't mean Hasbro can't turn into an IP-based company though. With Blizzard, what game are you talking about? An online Warcraft TCG? Other corporations can try to make a game that is better than whatever Hasbro comes up with, but it doesn't mean they can just make an MLP game if they feel like it. Hasbro would be deciding who gets to make those games and in the end, they'd be getting some of that moolah, so I don't see where the issue is. And if some company had any interest in cloning MLP, they would have already done it by now.

Other companies have experience and hardware to pull off an IP that is similar to MLP while capturing as many age groups as possible. They already kinda know what works and what doesn't, how to handle internet communities, how to monetize them. H-Bro is shit at this. They can't even transition a card game, and they don't have right people for the job. Online IPs demand more moving parts and versatility than our glorious writers can provide. Riot Games learned that the hard way.

These companies are avid copycats. If something works, they'll copy it a hundred times over. And they often wait for someone to try it first. If they don't copy, then there's always the possibility that they do not think such an IP can be successful in their domain.

Edited by Goat-kun
Glow in the dark CIA operatives

On 9/25/2018 at 5:23 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Just like G4 was a fresh start a while after G3, 

Just pointing out a minor thing here, G4 premiered less than a year after the last G3.x animation was broadcast. Friendship is Magic episode 1 was broadcast in October 2010.  So Many Different Ways to Play was webcast in December 2009. Even if you don't count the Newborn Cuties mess, the previous release was Twinkle Wish Adventure, released in October 2009.

So there really wasn't that much time between the end of G3 and the start of G4. And given that Hasbro and Faust started negotiations for G4 shortly after Princess Promenade was released (2006) according to an interview with Faust, then planning for the new generation started about four years before it was released.

So if they started planning G5 a year or two ago, 2020 is perfectly reasonable for G5 to come out. It's not rushed in any way. 

It is very well debatable if it's too soon the points you made were pretty good but some could argue that if they wait an extended period of time it might deflate hype and cause less people to return to view G5 but people could make counter arguments all day, as long as it's good quality I personally don't mind 

• 1 year later...