Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science How Light Polluted are Your Skies?

Phosphor

I have some light pollution towards the eastern horizon, but it's nice and dark overhead and everywhere else. I can see the Andromeda Galaxy, countless stars and the Milky Way stretching across the sky with the naked eye. The clouds at night are generally dark and can sneak up on me when observing thru a telescope.

• Brohoof 3

Well, I'm breathing okay...so I guess moderate. 

Edit: well since me being a dumba** has misinterpreted the question..., I'll re-answer the question.  Where I live is pretty moderate. At downtown is perfect, while at the neighborhood it's dark enough to see the stars.

Edited by TBD

The light pollution here isn't too bad. It's a town of approximately 20,000, so we have some light pollution, but not very much.

57 minutes ago, TBD said:

Well, I'm breathing okay...so I guess moderate. 

Light pollution is visible light that scours out the nighttime sky. It has nothing to do with breathing.

• Brohoof 1

I've got quite a bit It hink and I've noticed it getting worse over the years. I remember being at my grandmother's house and seeing all the stars clearly some 15 years ago. Now I have the light from 3 cities in sight to the west and you can see the exact outline when it's overcast. I can usually still see Venus and the big dipper through it but orion's belt has been getting harder to spot. Only a few dozen stars seem to make it through but this time of year it seems to improve. I don't know if that's due to the shorter days or what.

• Brohoof 1

As part of the greater Los Angeles area, there isn't much clarity in the skies where I live. At night the sky often looks overcast (even when it's clear) with an orange tint from the light of the city. If I want to see any decent view of the stars, I have to go out to the desert.

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I live in the Netherlands, a very densely populated country, so my night skies are very light polluted. However, I do get so see quite some stars, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Unfortunately, the Milky Way and Andromeda aren't even close to visible here:(. I've only seen the Milky Way and the Magellanic Clouds once, when I was on an island with little to no light pollution in the southern hemisphere.

• Brohoof 2

If you are living in a developing country, it's not that surprising if the air isn't really fresh. Forest fires and broken exhaust system on many motorcycles and cars are an everyday thing here

At least, it's not as bad as China's air pollution in here

Edited by Kevin Tang
  • Brohoof 1

I'm lucky if I see more than a dozen or so stars in the night sky here. Just too much developed land and overly lit buildings blocking it all out. You really need somewhere more isolated and remote to have a good chance of it. Preferably up the mountains.

I do love when I get the chance, though. Stargazing is such a beautiful pastime..

21 hours ago, Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow said:

Light pollution is visible light that scours out the nighttime sky. It has nothing to do with breathing.

Crap I misinterpreted the question.. :yeahno:

I thought they were asking the condition of the sky.. like how light or heavy polluted our skies is.

Ignore my inconvenient comment.

Edited by TBD

13 hours ago, Kevin Tang said:

If you are living in a developing country, it's not that surprising if the air isn't really fresh. Forest fires and broken exhaust system on many motorcycles and cars are an everyday thing here

At least, it's not as bad as China's air pollution in here

Particulates from smoke and such scatter light and make existing light polluted skies even worse.

I live in a city with a population of about 80,000...and my street is pretty well lit at night, but I can still see some stars. Just not very many. I'm still able to spot the Big Dipper constellation though! 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Pretty much nonexistent. You can see the glow from the lights of the city just over the horizon to the west, but other than that it's really clear. Also it's only a few mile hike from my house to get behind a mountain where there is no pollution at all.

19 hours ago, Twiggy said:

Pretty much nonexistent. You can see the glow from the lights of the city just over the horizon to the west, but other than that it's really clear. Also it's only a few mile hike from my house to get behind a mountain where there is no pollution at all.

Nice!

Star party at Twiggy's place! :P

Where I used to live, not only were stars not visible, but even on streets without lights you could see clearly at any time of night. Now I live in a part of town where you can see some constellations and the aurora borealis when it happens.

I have a friend who lives a short way out of town, and driving in at night, the city is visible as a glowing cloud in the distance.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...