Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much you would reflect reality into pony world?

Sepul-Coloratura

The world of MLP is similar to human world, but different. When you preceive the world of MLP, how much you would so called ‘sugar coat’ it compared to human world? Something not depicted in the show.

For example, MLP obviously have wars, but I think there is no cerial killer. There is almost no physical violence among ponies in general. Everybody is friendly except for very few. It’s not hard to make living if you are not lazy. There is no domestic violence. There is no drugs. There are no gangsters. When any problem happens, they are cute or exciting problems. If not, it is an educative problem. There is physical love, but no sexual violation against others.

My biggest problem with this is Diamond Tiara and Zephyr Breeze. They are living proof that bullying (with the teacher overlooking) and unimployment (hopeless laziness and resentment, purposeless life) exists. Chancellor Neighsay is also a pain in the arse, because he is a proof that there is racism, corrupted bureaucracy and the education system is not working well, there is a chance of bad propaganda taking over.

Anyway, how do you coordinate the depiction of MLP world iside your head based on the show and real life between realism and romanticism?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

Zephyr is also a borderline womanizer, I could almost go so far as to say he was harassing Dash, at least verbally and not taking the hint. Also, you forgot Badseed on the bullying front. And what Tiara's mother is doing to her, I don't know if it counts as abuse, but it's "something" that could potentially get a parent into some trouble (except when they're richer than sin).

It's not without problems. I just think the problems are less common. Much lower crime rates for example. And look at how bullies are dealt with. On Earth we spend all of our time teaching victims how to deal with bullies. In Equestria, they teach bullies how NOT to bully.

2 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Zephyr is also a borderline womanizer, I could almost go so far as to say he was harassing Dash, at least verbally and not taking the hint.

I wouldn't go as that far, but he is definitely being rude. At least he is not picking on the weak ones. For the sake of making the point and let's say Zephyr and Fluttershy weren't related. If he was doing that to Flutterhsy for example, I would want him executed even way more than before (if that's even possible). Not to justify or excuse for his behavior, but his over the top cockyness comes from his inability to get laid. Thank god he is a laughing stock and nobody takes him seriously.

2 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

And look at how bullies are dealt with. On Earth we spend all of our time teaching victims how to deal with bullies. In Equestria, they teach bullies how NOT to bully.

For me, shit left the bat outside the window when Diamond Tiara and Silverspoon didn't showed any consideration to at least disguise their hostility against the CMC's in front of Ms.Cheerilee. In Babs situation, at least everything was settled after the adults were involved.

For example, how do you expect ponies to reproduce when they are deprived of sexual organs?

It is like translating reality into any form of social construct. Ultimately, it results in partiality, misinformation and fragmentation.

So, I wouldn't do it. Because the reflection would be incomplete and ignorant. Like humanity.

28 minutes ago, They call me Loyalty said:

For example, how do you expect ponies to reproduce when they are deprived of sexual organs?

It is like translating reality into any form of social construct. Ultimately, it results in partiality, misinformation and fragmentation.

So, I wouldn't do it. Because the reflection would be incomplete and ignorant. Like humanity.

But MLP still exists in some sort of form inside your head already. Even if you refuse to do so. I want to know what that's like.

For example, about you just mentioned, how I perceive ponies are that they do have sexual organs, and it's a logical conclusion. The show is a combination of audio and a series of colored lines and faces in 24 fps. Our brain translates it. So, ponies having no sexual organs isn't actually what the show is depicting. It's because it's a kids show. You're just taking it too literal.

We take what the show shows and translates it into what we think makes sense to us. You already did it inside your head anyways. I'm just curious how you would turn your vague perception of the show into words, and how you would compromise it into your brain.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

21 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

But MLP still exists in some sort of form inside your head already. Even if you refuse to do so. I want to know what that's like.

I think I would prefer it if the real world were more MLP-like, but also suspect we are being shown a carefully curated view of Equestria. There are hints that not everyplace is like ponyville (where everypony is friendly, probably because Pinkie) whenever we see other cities, and of course while it is Twi's job to spread that magic of friendship thoughout Equestria, she seems to spend most of her time in her castle instead....

21 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

For example, about you just mentioned, how I perceive ponies are that they do have sexual organs, and it's a logical conclusion.

It is also a show aimed at 11 year olds. I don't recall ever seeing anypony even pregnant; married couples can be "having a baby" but as far as we can tell, they just magically pop out of nowhere as a consequence of being married (not saying they do, just that the process is never addressed, just like AJ's missing parents and so forth). Headcanon (and fanfic, of course) is a different matter, but I think that is out of scope given the constraints.

Things that the show does address (racism, bullying and so forth) ARE of course in scope, but I think it is encouraging how the problems are resolved in true Ponyville (although not Equestrian) fashion; Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon *do* eventually conform to the groupthink that is Pony, but given the overwhelming and unrelenting peer pressure that is Ponyville, it is surprising they resisted as long as they did.

Ponyville is a special place, and if Celestia engineered that, she is playing the game at grand master level; wannabes like Cozy Glow need not apply :)

• 1 year later...
On 9/28/2018 at 5:35 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

The world of MLP is similar to human world, but different. When you preceive the world of MLP, how much you would so called ‘sugar coat’ it compared to human world? Something not depicted in the show.

For example, MLP obviously have wars, but I think there is no cerial killer. There is almost no physical violence among ponies in general. Everybody is friendly except for very few. It’s not hard to make living if you are not lazy. There is no domestic violence. There is no drugs. There are no gangsters. When any problem happens, they are cute or exciting problems. If not, it is an educative problem. There is physical love, but no sexual violation against others.

My biggest problem with this is Diamond Tiara and Zephyr Breeze. They are living proof that bullying (with the teacher overlooking) and unimployment (hopeless laziness and resentment, purposeless life) exists. Chancellor Neighsay is also a pain in the arse, because he is a proof that there is racism, corrupted bureaucracy and the education system is not working well, there is a chance of bad propaganda taking over.

Anyway, how do you coordinate the depiction of MLP world iside your head based on the show and real life between realism and romanticism?

An always - relevant question, to which different people will have different answers. I even recall occasions where people became disillusioned with the show because it became clear Equestria was less utopic than theu had thought.  

As for me personally, I do think that Equestria as a whole is a better place than our First World (which I consider the world through the mirror equivalent to) in all waus save perhpas mod-cons, and Equestrian ponies on average nicer than humans due to a mix of nurture and nature. However, I consider this mainly a difference of degree rather than kind - ponies are capable of all the same evils as humans, they just manifest them less. Kind of like lower-proof alcohol - you can still drink yourself to death with it, but it's not as easy as using hard liquor. And I don't extend so much consideration to places outside modern Equestria, or times before it. 

So to go over uour examples... Mi Equestria has fought wars several times in it's historu, but none in decades and none at home in centuries. Murderers are rare and serial killers rarer, but that just makes the few known ones in historu more infamous. Physical brawling is actuallu not uncommon and rarely leads to criminal charges unless somepony is seriously injured. More ponies are friendly to strangers on average than humans, but there are still plentu who aren't. Making a living can be a struggle or a breeze depending on uour special talent. Domestic violence is somewhat rare, but more common than most ponies would think - and the lack of widespread awareness can make victims lives worse.Various drugs exist, some harmless, some quite dangerous indeed - generallu Equestrian law is better than ours at banning the latter but not the former. Gangsters exist in some of the larger cities, but they are less brutal than those in our world. Outright rape is rare, but uncommontable harassment bi and towards ponies of either sex is not unkonwn. And as for problems, sometimes life just sucks - but less often than it does in our world, and we manage OK for the most part.

As for stuff you didn't mention, I think that sexism and inter-pony racism have been reduced to the odd stereotupe or vestige, with little teeth save perhpas in a few isolated communites. Attitudes towards non-ponies, on the other hand, are often coloured bi either fear, a sense of superioirtu, or both - and that's when ponies bother thinking about them at all.

• Brohoof 1

Thinking seriously about the topic I like to view the MLP show as an idealized view of what Equestria could really be like. Idealized in the sense that it is not consistent with what may actually be reality. In real life issues are hardly solved with rainbows and sunshine and i feel if any one of us were pulled into some alternate universe where Equestria exists we would find that world struggles with a variety of ecological and social issues much like humanity does and while there is also plenty of good their would also be no shortage of evil.

2 hours ago, LunarShadow said:

Thinking seriously about the topic I like to view the MLP show as an idealized view of what Equestria could really be like. Idealized in the sense that it is not consistent with what may actually be reality. In real life issues are hardly solved with rainbows and sunshine and i feel if any one of us were pulled into some alternate universe where Equestria exists we would find that world struggles with a variety of ecological and social issues much like humanity does and while there is also plenty of good their would also be no shortage of evil.

Still, we shouldn't take it too far - the power of friendship is strong there, and backed bi potent magic. (Of course, so is the dark power of envy and hatred...)

On 9/28/2018 at 6:35 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

The more realistic episodes that we got, the more we started to see flaws in the Equestrian society. The way to create almost human realistic problems and places, and keeping the show modern.... It just fell out of the fairy tale category a long time ago.

Are there drugs, sex, and violence in Equestria? No, I don't believe so, but they exist as other manifestations. We have riches, and magic addictiveness. And obviously, they can reproduce because baby happened. Then of course, we have bullying, and racism. And a future war if Starlight changed the future. And we have jealousy and chaos.

So why is Equestria such a better place than the human world? Because most of the ponies seem to be very happy and innocent. And they are cute, and when they are cute, Bronies are born! :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...