Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does MLP have the best fan fiction?

Denim&Venöm

So fan fiction in general has earned a bad rap. Seems like no matter the property, the fanfics are not received well, even by the fan community itself. 

We haven't really seen that with MLP. Fan fiction is treated with indifference at worst and hailed as master works at best, revered even more so than the show cannon. 

So what is it that MLP fan fiction is doing right? Is it the works that are better or is it the communities attitude towards fanfics in general? 

• Brohoof 2

I'm no expert on literature so I couldn't be able to give you an in depth analysis as to why the shows' fan fiction is generally regarded as better than that of other fandoms. What I will say is, from my experience, mlp fanfics are written with a lot more understanding of the main characters of the show, that may be due to how the actual show is written, allowing us viewers to get a real sense of each characters personalities. 

• Brohoof 4

Fanfiction in general gets a bad rap because so many stories are illegible garbage. As for what has the best stories? Depends on your opinion. I personally like when i get mean spirited reviews. That's not to say I don't like positive reviews. I very much love them. But hate mail? I print it out and hang them on my wall becAuse it makes me giggle.

Edited by Stone Cold Steve Tuna
  • Brohoof 1

I don't read any fanfictions in general, so I wouldn't know. I just assumed that all is just..well bad.

• Brohoof 1

It's hard for me to say because I haven't read much fanfiction of other series nor have I been a part of many other fandoms, but I agree with @AJ2489 up there :ph3ar: More often than not, MLP writers seem to have a solid grasp of the characters' personalities, and this understanding lets them create new situations with believable actions from whichever characters are involved (as opposed to them being totally out of character and just sharing the names of who they were supposed to be). However, there are always exceptions.

Edit: Apart vs. a part.

Edited by Beached Whale
  • Brohoof 2

I feel that MLP does have some of the best fan fics. I have read a few and there pretty in depth. I do enjoy the fan fics which is one of the reasons i'm still with the fandom and how I stay interested. I also think that some of them are way to crude but that's what makes some of them interesting to read and draws you in to the story further.

• Brohoof 1

Is the reputation of fanfiction in general really that bad, though? In most of my fandoms I've found at least a few fics that seem to be well-liked by many fans. Personally I don't really see that MLP fanfiction is treated any differently than it is in other fandoms. The one thing that MLP seems to really have going for it in that regard is that it has a site dedicated to nothing but MLP fanfiction, whereas most other fandoms simply use ff.net and AO3.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

I've read more mlp fanfics than any other show or game because sites like fimfiction makes it easier for me to find what I'm looking for however it depends on the readers taste and the quality of the writer which determines the quality of the fic 

Edited by Crow2
  • Brohoof 1

All Fanfiction is garbage. The only difference with Brony Fanfiction is that a lot of writers have their heads so far up their own ass and buy into their own hype, to the point where they actually try to get fucking book deals 

mlp fanfiction is good.
there are a lot of people that had studied literature and storymaking. many produced good pieces with a decree

i feel that MLP literature is soo good, that i can live with it and not look at any traditional literatures.

i can eat fimfiction and not have to go to a general food source

Having read some really good books and true classics, including the Divine Comedy, As I Lay Dying, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, as well as fanfiction in other fandoms, I can say that MLP fanfiction actually does tend to be of a higher quality or at least there is a lot more standout examples amid the bad stuff. There's a Mass Effect fanfiction called Razor's Edge which is really quite good. It's a flat out novelization of Mass Effect 2, onward. With much attention given to Shepherd's internal thoughts and motivations since as readers we're now privy to what's going on in his head. The characters are ALL accurate to the point where you can hear their voices as you read their lines, the romance with Tali is built up and feels genuine, and it brilliantly re-contextualizes events in the games so that they still follow more or less the same beats but take on a new light that is more dramatic or even more badass. 

That story exists amid a sea of barely legible crap where the characters behave nothing like they did in the games, "Renegade" is mistaken to mean "misanthropic, murderous asshole," and the plot flows as naturally as peanut butter.

In the MLP fandom though, there's actually a pretty even 50/50 split between those two. Past Sins, University Days, Ballad of Echo the Diamond Dog, not to mention the numerous and actually quite creative crossover scenarios that come from marrying something as out there and absurd as Equestria to a more conventional premise such as the various Doctor Who hybrids. Speaking of crossovers, Fallout Equestria is one of the best stories I've ever experienced. Not one of the best fanfictions, not even one of the best things I've read as a novel, one of the best stories I've ever experienced, period.

So maybe not the best, but with the help of the surprisingly organized community, I think we have a pretty high bar for reading material.

Edited by Steel Accord

I am a fan of yandere/romance fanfics. Even before getting into the fanfictions especially fimfiction I was a darn great fan of romantic stories, mostly involving xenophilic romance (thanks to Star Wars, Ben 10 and a few other alien related fandoms). 

So, after going through my first ever human x pony romance story, I eventually got hooked with MLP romantic fictions. 

No one has to agree with me, but many if not most MLP fanfictions are best in their own way, especially well written romantic stories. 

I don’t know, I think fanfics are all good for all fandoms but in different ways as no fandom is really the same. I’ve seen great fan fiction in MLP and other fandoms and I have also seen many bad ones. 

• 1 year later...

Some Human in Equestria and pony fanfics certainly gets edgy at times. Fallout fanfics are one of the best stories I ve read.

Edited by RDDash