Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else hate talking about themselves?

Octavia Heartstrings

Weird? Not at all.  I mean here's me with a boring lifestyle and I sure don't' want to bore anyone by telling  it. (okay, see how boring that comment is?)

• Brohoof 3

Kind of int he same boat. I hate being asked how I'm doing.

It's not something I actively think about, nor is it anybody else's business. And half the time the answer is just 'meh.' 

I'm not comfortable talking about myslef cause there's not much to say or I really have to think about it which takes too long and makes the conversation awkward. Unless something exciting happened or I'm sorta prepared on what to expect, talking about myself is just an awkward experience. 

• Brohoof 4

Yeah, I'm pretty shy... I find it easier to listen to others when they're talking (and I easily remember things that people say).

Plus I don't think I'm super interesting; I always hated it when I had to "give an interesting fact about myself" D:

• Brohoof 5

Yes. Come to think of it, i tend to find my whole life meaningless and wasteful. Look at me. A 21 year old young man still living with his mother whose parents just divorced and is still in community college and is barely helping the family of himself, his mother and his little brother scrape by with his commission-based job that’s going nowhere fast. I know that this sounds like a downer for most of you guys, but believe me, my mom wanted me out as soon as i turned 18. Im supposed to be in a four year university getting a bachelors degree with a decent part time job as an assistant manager by now. And the only thing i like to talk about is drawing, writing fan fictions and songs, and video games. So, yeah, you’re not the only one who finds themself irritating and pointless. Some have it just as bad as you if not worse. 

Edited by Kronos the Revenant
  • Brohoof 1

The only thing I would consider would be things that I like, things I have passion for, but then I am not exactly the main subject. I don't exactly like myself being the center of a conversation and if I am, odds are I will end up saying not-so-positive things about myself anyways. It is a pretty obvious problem I have, but that;s just one of many reasons why I avoid having myself be the centerpiece in any given conversation.

• Brohoof 2

Most people I work with don't have the same interests as me. So they always ask if I'm married, which I'm not, and that's about it. 

A couple months ago I gave a talk to a high school class about my work, and that was easy becua I got to say what I wanted to.

Honestly, unless it has something to do with a passion of mine, not really. I only really converse with very few people about much of anything, unless I'm passionate about it, for the most part. I have opened up to a couple of people in real life, but half of the time talking about my life makes me feel more depressed, because it's depressing to say the least. Being a 21-year old with no tangible prospects for the future and emotional problems living in agonizing poverty with somebody who doesn't really care about my or even his well-being isn't exactly a great place to be in life... But with the right people who really understand what I'm going through, it can actually be somewhat therapeutic.

But, in all honesty, I really don't like talking in the first place. You can't necessarily blame me there considering my obvious lack of social skills.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2018 at 7:47 AM, shyabetes3939 said:

I find talking about myself or my day to be tiresome, irritating and pointless. Anyone else feel the same way or am I weird?

No, of course not! :-D I feel the same way. Every time I talk about myself I think I am bragging. I also hate talking. And there's nothing much to know about me anyway... ;)

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Kind of int he same boat. I hate being asked how I'm doing.

It's not something I actively think about, nor is it anybody else's business. And half the time the answer is just 'meh.' 

I'm not comfortable talking about myslef cause there's not much to say or I really have to think about it which takes too long and makes the conversation awkward. Unless something exciting happened or I'm sorta prepared on what to expect, talking about myself is just an awkward experience. 

Pretty much me to a tee. Plus I have interests and hobbies that most others in my geographic area either don't understand or just don't know about. I mean, if someone around here asks about my interests I'm like "I just finished watching a cricket match, was listening to Unleash the Archers, and getting ready to play some Spyro; how about you?" and people give me such confused looks. It gets kinda awkward. XD

Yes, because I’m really worried that I’ll talk about myself too much, like floodgates opening. I basically tailor my appearance to provoke questions, so there’s always a lot I wanna say.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:47 PM, shyabetes3939 said:

I find talking about myself or my day to be tiresome, irritating and pointless. Anyone else feel the same way or am I weird?

Jeez, you talk about yourself a lot! j/k :P

Yeah, I agree. I hate talking about myself. When people say "How are you?" I think "That's awfully personal!".

• 1 year later...

It depends on the specifics, but I love talking about my hobbies! I do like hearing about the interests of others though, I don't like a conversation to be one-sided, unless it's an interview of sorts. :fluttershy: