private Deep Science 1x1 with Blitz Boom

Illiad Easle

@Blitz Boom

The Consul's reaction was varied.

6 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

Looked like the outline of a winged stallion, but didn't give me a name

He rolled his eyes at that

Just yapped on about Vengeance taking notice, offered me a slice of that, and said to go talk to Nine about it.

His expression grew more interested

She got enough on her plate as it is, without fearing that I'll be taking off when this is all over."

When she had finished talking he was left with quite the serious expression, but nodded as he motioned for her to follow him. "I suppose it makes sense, given your history, that He would take interest in you. I've felt Mercy take interest in your sister as well, but I would agree that she is less prepared. Your worry is justified, the path of Vengeance has little room for family matters. The power it offers come at the cost of your choice."

He led her down the hall, to the same place where she had met Vengeance, and opened the door on the far end, revealing a staircase down. "Vengeance was desperate when I took the mantle, I wasn't ready, and there was much adjustment before I could fully wield its power. Even still I am not fully aligned, for I will eventually pass it on to another, one better suited to the bearer of Mercy." a slight smile came to him, "That will be a better time."

They would reach the bottom of the stairs to reveal a large chamber lit by many hidden light sources. There were rows of seats all around a central podium, as well as many archways with dark tunnels extending in all directions. The Consul crossed to the far end of the room and sat on a larger seat, seemingly meant for him. "This is the court of Vengeance, once the center of the Grey, before they were corrupted." He'd motion for her to take a seat. "Now, so far as I understand your question. If you accept the call of Vengeance, you will be given power to bring balance to the world, specifically punishing those that have escaped justice, answering the call of all those who have been wronged with no recourse. First you will be brought to balance yourself, you must settle your debts and debtors. Once that is complete you will have power to do the same for others as Vengeance directs you. The biggest benefit I foresee in you is the lifting of your curse. The biggest detriment will be that Vengeance is a path your sister will be unable to follow you on. Even if she is selected and accepts the path of mercy, you may not often cross paths with her or your family."

He sighed, "It's been many years since I've seen mine."

@Illiad Easle

On 11/1/2019 at 6:21 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"I suppose it makes sense, given your history, that He would take interest in you. I've felt Mercy take interest in your sister as well, but I would agree that she is less prepared. Your worry is justified, the path of Vengeance has little room for family matters. The power it offers come at the cost of your choice."

He led her down the hall, to the same place where she had met Vengeance, and opened the door on the far end, revealing a staircase down. "Vengeance was desperate when I took the mantle, I wasn't ready, and there was much adjustment before I could fully wield its power. Even still I am not fully aligned, for I will eventually pass it on to another, one better suited to the bearer of Mercy." a slight smile came to him, "That will be a better time."

"...I question how much of a choice I ever had in the first place."

There were a lot to unpack in what Illiad had said, even before he lead her to a path near the place where Vengeance had sought her out. It appeared to be the actual name of that outlined pegasus, and not just some sorta messenger. Guess it made sense, even if it weren't all that important compared to other things. Such as Illiad talking about how taking this mantle, would come at the cost of choice and family.

The choice itself, she wanted to hear more off, but the part of family... She had always knows that in the end, to do what were best for Void, she had to get out of her life. For a long time, that had been thought off as just jumping off a cliff or something, and letting the pain end with her. Sure Void would be sad, and she'd grief her sisters passing, but she'd be able to still grow and settle down. Find some meaning in this life that'd make her keep on, now without the last reminder of a life she never deserved.

Null had long since given up hope that anything like that were in her own future. She were a broken mess, going on solely by the want to give her sister the life she deserved, but feeling the life they'd endured drag her down constantly. For her, it just felt like an endless cycle of hatred and pain, and the release of death had long seemed like a kindness that were going to be her reward for setting things right. Never seemed like there were much of an alternative to this.

Yet now, there were a choice. To just keep on and eventually finish herself off, or to go out and use that hatred, and her experience in protecting others, to make sure things were set right. Something of a meaning with her life, and the more she thought of it, something that seemed like she had been meant to go that route ever since they had left Troy behind.

She doubted it were the same for the Consul. From how he said it, he had not been tempered and prepared for something like this, and it had taken time for him to adjust for it. Even then, it sounded as if he couldn't wait to be rid of this burden, and a burden it undoubtedly were for someone like him, since it lead to him not having the time for a life he seemingly longed for. Something which were less of a burden for someone like herself. Might be another reason why Vengeance had shown interest she supposed. There were less for her to sacrifice.

"This is the court of Vengeance, once the center of the Grey, before they were corrupted."

Up until she were told where they were, Null just figured this were a secret meeting room or something to that affect. Though hearing that this place carried the filth of the Grey once upon a time, made her growl ever so slightly, and get some less than pleasant thoughts. A regular reaction when it came to that particular organisation, though this were very restrained compared to the last time, where she had ended up swearing she'd take the leader of the Grey, place his head on a pike, and parade it through Troy. Probably for the best Illiad did not tough further on it, so it didn't escalate that way again, but rather moved on to the subject at hoof.

"Now, so far as I understand your question. If you accept the call of Vengeance, you will be given power to bring balance to the world, specifically punishing those that have escaped justice, answering the call of all those who have been wronged with no recourse. First you will be brought to balance yourself, you must settle your debts and debtors. Once that is complete you will have power to do the same for others as Vengeance directs you. The biggest benefit I foresee in you is the lifting of your curse. The biggest detriment will be that Vengeance is a path your sister will be unable to follow you on. Even if she is selected and accepts the path of mercy, you may not often cross paths with her or your family."

He sighed, "It's been many years since I've seen mine."

"You don't get it, do you?"

Null sat down and let out a strained sigh, trying to relieve some tensions as she were about to open herself up. To a leader of Troy no less. Which weren't making this any easier.

"I'm broken, Consul. Trying to keep Void alive and atone for my failures to her, have taken too much out of me, and I've known for years now that in the end, I'd have to make the ultimate sacrifice for her, and let her go. Soon as she found a home, and someone to care for her, that would have to be the end of me, or she'd lose all those things in her attempt to make sure I were okay too.

I figured I'd just throw myself off a cliff or something when it were, y'know? Just a quick, hopefully painless death to cut the last chain on her, and finally get some peace of my own, instead of having to be haunted with everything that's happened to us until I'd die from old age, or go mad.

Truth is I'm tired, Consul. I want this to end, and with our parents alive and a little sibling on the way, I can finally give her the family I owe her. I just have to last long enough for Tartarus to be closed, and the Grey dealt with for good. After that, it's time for me to let her go.

Vengeance offering me this sort though, makes me think. I mean, I'd be able to settle the score for good, and make sure there's no one out there who'll suddenly come for any of them, and then go on to ensure that no one goes puts others through the same thing we suffered through and gets away with it... It sounds like a good purpose, and all I'd have to sacrifice so far, is the thing I've known I had to give up anyway.

I'm just afr- Nervous, about what it entails. Am I just gonna be a tool, seeing everything as black and white and acting out on it? Is there some sort of grey area in it all? Will I even have free will anymore? Being a puppet, dancing to the strings without question, sounds like a worse fate than death."

It were somewhat clunky and not explaining everything fully, but Null were a private pony who had a difficult time sharing, and this were honestly a big step for her, in revealing some of what had gone through her mind for the past decade or so, and what her fears were about what it would mean, to accept vengeance into her heart.

Still, she were receptive to the idea, and to continue her role as a protector or sorts, who made sure that whoever tried to rob innocence from this world, were going to feel the inescapable backlash of karma itself. A fitting fate in a sense, for one who had spent the majority of her life trying to correct wrongs, and wanted to atone for her sins, even if it meant doing things that were morally reprehensible.

It were up to Illiad now to tell her of the pros and cons on this, and if he thought it were worth it. Or if he could try to sugar coat it to be rid of this himself, and pass it on to the next sucker in line, without making it sound all that bad. A little test of his own morals there, one could argue.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The Consul looked somewhat impressed at Null's words, and elected to ponder for a bit before responding. "I appreciate you being so open, it does help me understand why Vengeance was so intrigued, and why you would be receptive."

"It seems to me that Vengeance knew you'd be left without purpose, but full of hate. Without the power to do anything you'd ultimately die with quite the debt owed to you. In this case giving you the power to balance yourself out would yield the greatest benefit. You will be able to achieve exactly what you desire, protect your family from the fears of your past, ensure a better future for them and others."

He sighed, but nodded. "As to what it will entail, well, there's a reason they were called the Grey. What is black and white in all of this is the Karmic Balance, the scales which judge the positive and negative karma one has. What is grey is how these scales are brought to balance. If you are gifted with the eye of Vengeance, as you look on others you will see where their balance lies, but it is up to you how they will be balanced. Either by mercy or vengeance as you see fit. They can either be brought to redemption by their own charitable acts, turning their life for the better, or they can have the good in their life destroyed to pay the debt. In your case, the only punishment for negligence of your duties is the removal of the power they've given you. You will be free to leave if and when you wish, but once it is set down it can never be picked up again."

He was silent for a moment, but smiled, "It... will be nice to have some help in this, after all this time."

@Illiad Easle

The Consul had done well in not repeating what had happened when Null tried to reach out to the doe, as things would've gone a whole lot tenser if he took her attempt at opening up, as a means to mock her, or hold something against her. As he hadn't though, Null were somewhat more willing to continue this conversation, though this olive branch were still a frail one, and things might well change, depending on hos the conversation went.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:34 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"It seems to me that Vengeance knew you'd be left without purpose, but full of hate. Without the power to do anything you'd ultimately die with quite the debt owed to you. In this case giving you the power to balance yourself out would yield the greatest benefit. You will be able to achieve exactly what you desire, protect your family from the fears of your past, ensure a better future for them and others."

The debt owed to her didn't really matter to Null, but the other part, about being able to protect her family from potential past encounters, just waiting to happen, were an enticing one. So too were the prospect that she'd ensure others didn't go through what they had, or at least not without someone paying for it. It would be like several times throughout their travels, where they had taken away things that could hurt others, or used them to try and make things right, but just with more of an overall purpose, rather than being a side thing here and there.

She'd probably need to maintain her curse though, if it came to that, depending on what other tools she'd get at her disposal... Much as she disliked it for how much of a pariah it had made her, it did offer some protective qualities to it, and if she were going out swinging at folks, that might well be needed. Magic were a pretty widespread weapon after all. Though she suspected that Vengeance himself had to tell her what the big deal were going to be, regarding what sorta things she'd have to work with. Something told her that Illiad weren't gonna be able to know a whole lot about that, since it kinda made sense to be a on a case to case system.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:34 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"It... will be nice to have some help in this, after all this time."

"I can imagine. Always someone that needs vengeance, and soon as those gates gets closed, and the... Whatever's, get tossed back in, folks are gonna go back to their old ways again. Something tells me there'll be plenty to get done then."

Not just new things either. Troy here seemed to have a somewhat functional governmental system still going, but other safe pockets had to rely on whatever creature held power, so there were gonna be a whole load of power abuse out there that needed an eye on it. And even if you looked past old grudges, suddenly having no enemy to be focused on, and more free reigns, were gonna cause some places to go into absolute chaos, since there wouldn't be an outside force that the ones in charge could leverage their position on anymore, and others strove to hold the reigns.

Besides, Illiad here needed to stay in Troy likely. Even if he hadn't seen his family in ages, the country likely still needed the leadership to remain somewhat stable, so if he just went up and left instantly, things could well end up getting ugly. She didn't have that sort of chain bound on her, only her family, and like with so many other things throughout the past several decades, she could chalk all of this up to doing it for them.

"Even before talking here, I were thinking on just saying yes. I wouldn't have anything else, and with the leader of the Grey suddenly stirring and figuring out Void and I are here, I got a pretty big score to settle already. Ain't gonna be any mercy for him though. With everything he's done, I'm gonna keep my word, and parade his head down the street on a pike.

I don't get what you mean though, about negligence. That covers if I flat out ignore someone too many times? Just once? Or is it being merciful? Blasting what good's in their life so they need to build from scratch again sounds pretty darn vengeful, so that doesn't sound like a negative. Hay, I could give off five names off the top of my head I'd think that'd be a fitting fate for."

Letting go of the mantle if she first got it, were unlikely to happen for Null, as she didn't think she'd ever really find much of another purpose in life, nor any sort of family that'd tie her down. She knew well that she were a brash, crippled midget, and she honestly couldn't imagine anyone loving her. Even a little bit. And as for her loving someone else? Yeah, that'd be the day... Peh.

So yeah, she wanted to know what negligence covered, so that she might be able to keep on to things long as she could, and actually make a difference out there, rather than messing up by accident, and being taken off the power juice.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The Consul cringed at Null's graphic depiction of her desires towards Grey Mane, but didn't say anything on it at the moment. "As to negligence, there are some to whom Vengeance has already assigned a penance, ones where you will not be allowed to choose their fate. If you were to do something to them contrary to their sentence that would be negligence."

He would move to stand up, "We may speak of this again if you wish, but for now we should get moving. The airship should be ready to go by now, and the sooner you and the team are out, the sooner this will all be over."

Provided Null didn't object, the Consul would lead her back the way they came, passing the office they had started at which was empty again, it seemed the mysterious stallion had yet to return. He stopped in the main entryway, "Go get your sister, I'll wait here, then I'll take you to the airship."

@Illiad Easle

On 11/5/2019 at 1:46 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"As to negligence, there are some to whom Vengeance has already assigned a penance, ones where you will not be allowed to choose their fate. If you were to do something to them contrary to their sentence that would be negligence."

He would move to stand up, "We may speak of this again if you wish, but for now we should get moving. The airship should be ready to go by now, and the sooner you and the team are out, the sooner this will all be over."

"So stay off the judged ones? Seems easy enough."

There would without a doubt be a situation where at least one of those she really hated, were going to be off limits, weren't there? Blergh... Hopefully their penance were a rough one, and if it were one of the creatures she really wanted to go down, then frankly it were going to be a tough one to swallow. Still, if she just threatened, that wasn't technically judging...

Whatever, a thought for another time. Seems like their time were up here, so she'd follow him upstairs, then nod a farewell, and get back to Void, who seemed to still be sleeping. That was good, meant she wouldn't ask where Null had been.

Wouldn't take long to wake her up and get her back with them. She were still yawning and rubbing the sleep from her eyes, but they had a bit of way to go, so she'd have time to get fully ready.

"Hello Consul."

Void greeted him when they caught up to the alicorn, before letting out a yawn and shaking her head a bit. Best be awake when they went off to save the world.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The Consul nodded to them as they approached, "Good evening Void, I trust you slept well?"

Once they were with him he would begin leading them, once they exited the building the ponies standing guard snapped to attention, then took up position to either side of the Consul, forming a sort of pentagon with the sisters at the base and the Consul at the point. The sun was almost wholly behind the wall as they traveled, there were a bit more creatures on the move now then before, but still not quite the crowd as when they had first arrived. The crowd nonetheless parted before the Consul as he led their group directly away from the main gates. When they reached the wall there was a door leading to a staircase which spiraled upwards. The Consul sighed before beginning his trek up the stairs.

There were quite a few of them.

When they finally reached the top the guards that were accompanying them were breathing heavier, but didn't complain or say anything. At the top the stairway exited onto the top of the wall, giving them a commanding view of the city and the surrounding landscape. from above they could see the destruction both inside and without, it was clear just how many buildings had been hit, hardly a single building lacked some sort of damage to the roof or upper floors. And outside the walls there was hardly a stretch of land that didn't have either a crater or a corpse.

Just a few paces away from the stairway exit there was a platform built out from the wall towards the outside, at the end of the platform was a somewhat rudimentary airship, it was essentially a platform connected to a giant balloon, but it seemed to have all the workings of a proper dirigible. Already on the ship was the reindeer, and the pair of earth ponies they had met in the facility, plus a griffon even larger than the one from the facility. The Consul boarded the airship, and gestured for the sisters to follow, the guards remaining on the platform.

@Illiad Easle

On 11/7/2019 at 2:04 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Good evening Void, I trust you slept well?"

"It were a-alright, thank y-you. I hope y-you slept well t-too."

Null gave the Consul a knowing look, as Void responded to his inquiry. Nothing else came from her than that, as they followed him towards the beginning of what were undoubtedly a pretty long staircase. They had spoken of what they needed to for the time being, and now they had to focus on the job at hoof. Otherwise, they might well end up failing it.

She'd like to say that she had a lot to think about right now too, but honestly, the talk with the Consul had helped her resolve, not fill her with doubt. Strange really, when she had expected to end up with more questions than answers about the decision she had to make.

Well, guess she had more time to focus on the walk up then.

The Consul sighed before beginning his trek up the stairs.

There were quite a few of them.

When they finally reached the top the guards that were accompanying them were breathing heavier, but didn't complain or say anything.

The sisters didn't say anything, but they did exchange a glance at seeing how exhausted the guards already were, whilst they were largely unaffected. Somehow, they had expected them to have more stamina than that, but in fairness, Troy didn't seem like a place they had the chance to wander up and down stairs a lot. Not anymore anyway.

Voids gaze fell over the sight below them, and she found herself slowing down and pausing at what met her.

To think that so much were destroyed, or barely clinging together... And this were essentially what were left of Troy, right? The once great nation, reduced to just this little sliver of huddled together survivors, trying desperately to make it in a hostile world...

How were they all going to make it, even if the gates were closed? All of this destruction, with entire countries barren and dead, lacking infrastructure, functional farms for food, and so on and so forth. Even without enemies around them constantly, how many would be ressilient enough to make it, and try to return the world to what it once were?

Void averted her eye from if and wandered along to the airship, with Null wandering closely by her. She bit notice in her younger sisters sullen state of mind, yet there were nothing she could do about it. Void were an emphatic pony, who cared for what happened to others, despite all they had gone through, and her sadness over seeing how things were now that they had an overview that made it impossible to ignore the facts, were understandable.

Hopefully she would be able to draw some inspiration and resolve from this, and the prospect of them being part of changing it all for the better. She were going to need it.

Already on the ship was the reindeer, and the pair of earth ponies they had met in the facility, plus a griffon even larger than the one from the facility. The Consul boarded the airship, and gestured for the sisters to follow, the guards remaining on the platform.

A few familiar faces were there to meet them. Seemed like some of Troy's finest then, huh? Hopefully they'd be fine enough, and be equiped for the task. Unless it had been taken away at any point, Null and Void would have the salvaged sword and spear from the desert with them, and that essentially made up for their equipment.

Only other thing they had with them, were the amulet with the picture of them and their parents, in happier times. Currently it were locked away in Void's leg, as it had been throughout most of yesterday, though she had considered giving it to their parents as a reminder. Something told her at the time though, that they'd need this more than them before this day were over, to remind them of who they were mainly doing this for.

She may well end up being right there, yet for now, they'd walk unto the awaiting ship with little sound, and Null just doing her best to ignore the others and focus on her sister. No need to spread more bad blood already by her opening her yap, unless it were needed.

Void would be a little more open, and give a few nods around, despite her sullen state of mind.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

They would still have their weapons, though how effective they'd be was another matter. The massive griffon for one seemed to be carrying a massive hunk of machinery vaguely reminiscent of the odd weapon Null had found, only if it were eight of them put together. It looked like it was made of, or at least coated with, solid gold. It made a very heavy thump which shook the platform when he set it down as the Consul approached him.

The earth pony mare that had first found them in the facility came over on Void's side of the pair with a cautious smile on her face, a new war-hammer on her back, the end of which seemed to glow a sickly purple. "Hey, Void is it? I know we may not have gotten off on the right hoof when we first met, down there, but since I've been assigned to guard the two of you personally I thought maybe a bit more proper introductions are in order?" She offered a hoof, "I'm Foe Hammer."

Meanwhile the twin pegasi they might have seen piloting their transport when they first came to Troy came aboard, quickly setting to work flying about the rigging and mechanisms of the balloon in preparation for the voyage.

Once the Consul was done talking to the griffon he made his way over to the pair, focusing instead on Null. He spoke with a heavy gryphonic accent (think russian), "Look at you, so small. Leetle Leetle Pone" He would laugh deeply, but lightheartedly. At this distance his beak and talons were visible, and clearly plated with the same metal that the machine he had carried was. It seemed to glow slightly.

The Consul looked concerned by the griffon's taunting.

(You can feel free to punch the griffon, don't worry.)

@Illiad Easle

On 11/9/2019 at 2:05 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Hey, Void is it? I know we may not have gotten off on the right hoof when we first met, down there, but since I've been assigned to guard the two of you personally I thought maybe a bit more proper introductions are in order?" She offered a hoof, "I'm Foe Hammer."

Void had cast a somewhat nervous glance towards the mare as she approached, but in fairness, of the ones here, she had the least fear of this one. The mare had helped them before, and really made a number on Panic. The nervous glance were more of a general thing she had towards those se didn't know, and who were clearly dangerous. Such as this mare, who had bashed in solid metal with her last hammer, and this one were probably stronger.

Tentatively, she reached a hoof forth and shook Foe's twice, before letting go and putting her hoof down again. Thankfully Null didn't seem to be all that concerned about this, and kept her focus on the griffon for some reason instead. As it turns out, it were in regards to the strange weapon that the massive feather duster carried, which carried some comparisons to that weird one that they had found in the desert, but didn't know what were for.

They had considered bringing that too, but as they had no idea how it worked, and had been too busy to ask, they had left it at the mansion. Might end up biting them in the flank down the road, but what wasn't on this trip? Likely it'd be more literal too, than any of them cared to think about.

"Y-Yes, it's Void, and uhm... S-Sorry about the l-last time. We d-don't have a good h-history with others, and y-you looked d-dangerous. Still do a-actually... Heh..."

Okay, bnad attempt at a joke, so not going smoothly. So far though, there were less screaming and crying, so it weren't hard for it to still be a step up. Hay, with how it had went, Foe going over and trying to take a piggyback ride on Null out of the blue, would still have made for a better impression. The mare likely could do it fine honestly. Null were likely to be able to carry most here, with the possible exception of the griffon. The armor on that one looked really heavy, and it wasn't a small bird either, to put it mildly.

"So... P-Personal guard, huh? Could I p-please ask you to t-try and be careful out t-there? I'd l-like it if we all m-made it back alive."

A foolish hope perhaps, but one she could not just let go off. Void didn't want to see these brave fighters die, though shortly after, Null could sadly not share the same sentiment, as the griffon went over and started to tease her right out of the gate. 

On 11/9/2019 at 2:05 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Look at you, so small. Leetle Leetle Pone"

"Look at you, mocking the midget cripple like a real winner. I'm really proud to see that between beating up school foals for their lunch money and pushing old mares into traffic, you still make the time to stop up, and laugh in the face of the disabled."

Null's reply were about dry enough to suck the moisture out of the air around her, as she spoke back to the griffon in an annoyed tone, whilst also pointing out that he were essentially getting his jollies off openly laughing in the face of an actual, handicapped being.

"So are we going to bicker like this the entire trip, or what?"

She could have just jumped this one and attacked him, but first off, he were massive. Like, insanely so. And well armored in all parts but his beak more or less, which she could say from experience, hurt to kick the wrong way. The armor she might be able to mess with by hammering him one on said armor, as it seemed enchanted, but that was gonna bite her in the flank later, when they likely needed this muscly brute to keep them safe, or beat down something large and unsettling.

Normally she'd still try to whack him one on principle and poor judgement alone, but she'd been calmed some by the talk with Illiad earlier, and this overgrown pigeon hadn't said something truly offensive, such as calling her a kiwi - comparisons to the flightless bird put her in a face-punchy mood - nor in a too harsh tone, so she just gave him back with snark, and a small wish that he'd get a back eye at some point during this trip. A minor thing compared to what she wished most had happen to them so frankly, she considered this to be on her relatively best behavior.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

2 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"So... P-Personal guard, huh? Could I p-please ask you to t-try and be careful out t-there? I'd l-like it if we all m-made it back alive."

Foe looked confident, but only slightly. "I'll do my best, we haven't lost a member yet, but we haven't exactly stormed Tartarus yet either. Last guy to do that..." She smirked a bit, "Well, they saying used to go: 'Last guy to do that stayed there', but it turns out that's the very same guy we're going to free, so..."

Her train of thought was cut off by Null's response to the griffon's teasing.

2 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"So are we going to bicker like this the entire trip, or what?"

All those on the ship seemed suddenly interested in Null and the griffon's interaction, but if the griffon noticed he didn't react. He simply stared down at her, eyes that betrayed his age evaluating her as a whole. Then his whole countenance shifted to a jovial one as he laughed harder, "Oh Ho! That slaps me on the knee! It's funny to me. You very strong, eyes like Heavy." he pointed at his own eyes. "Oh Ho, Heavy already too big, no need to bigger for this. Already big enough for three." 

The rest of the crew seemed to relax given the griffon, who seemed to identify himself as Heavy, did not throw her bodily into the city. The pegasi quickly finished their preparations before signalling to the Consul as they got each other into harnesses that connected their wings to the steering mechanisms of the balloon. Foe waved to Void, "I've got to get the turbines spinning, we can talk more at the Dead Oasis."

She and the other earth pony got on their own machines similar to the ones they had used in the transport, as the moved the gears by walking the many fans on the side of the balloon started to spin, and the balloon began to make its way away from the city.

The Consul did not get off, instead moving to the front to talk with the pegasi as the steered the ship away from the city with a tilt of their wings, as if turning in flight.

The griffon moved to the center of the platform, where he left his gold colored machine, so as to not imbalance the ship.

After some time, given the sisters didn't do anything, the Consul would come over to them. "So, the first stop is the dead oasis. It's a tradition for missions like this for those involved to make peace with their ancestors, and the oasis is where we've buried and honored the dead of all the conflicts since the nation was founded. Most of their ancestors are honored there, and you two may recognize some too."

@Illiad Easle

On 11/10/2019 at 9:49 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Foe looked confident, but only slightly. "I'll do my best, we haven't lost a member yet, but we haven't exactly stormed Tartarus yet either. Last guy to do that..." She smirked a bit, "Well, they saying used to go: 'Last guy to do that stayed there', but it turns out that's the very same guy we're going to free, so..."

Well... She supposed that there were some degree of confidence in them making it through this alive from Foe at least. Not a resounding amount, but still, a palatable vote of confidence, and a saying that were hopefully not going to continue after their mission. It didn't sound as if it were the plan from all the Consul had said either, yet at the same time, dealing with lands with gods in them, had taught Void that as the saying went, nature hates a vacuum.

Releasing Hercules, or whatever else they were going to do to him, might well fall under this saying now, since he had been where he now were for what sounded like a really long time. Removing what might be an essential part down there, could well be a case where for one to go away, another had to take their place. Just like it were with the gods.

Hopefully this wouldn't be the case. Void wouldn't wish Tartarus upon anyone. Not even their real father, whom though she'd never be able to forgive for what he did to them, should only be punished in this life. What judgement awaited him in the next were not her decision to make, nor did she want it. A life judging the damned sounded miserable.

Then his whole countenance shifted to a jovial one as he laughed harder, "Oh Ho! That slaps me on the knee! It's funny to me. You very strong, eyes like Heavy." he pointed at his own eyes. "Oh Ho, Heavy already too big, no need to bigger for this. Already big enough for three." 

Null rose an eyebrow at the weird acts of the griffon post insult. Seemed like one of those types who only liked others who stood up to them, and didn't back down. She supposed she could understand that sort of attitude, as she too didn't think much about beings who just backed off from any small confrontation either. Ergh... Perhaps this bundle of feathers would be somewhat tolerable, provided he lived through this. Reality weren't a fairy tale where everything ended up happily, and something told her that this trip would prove a grim reminder of that.

"...Riiiight. Glad we got that sorted."

"I've got to get the turbines spinning, we can talk more at the Dead Oasis."

"Okay, u-uhm... Bye."

The Dead Oasis? Sounded like a quaint place, but she were sure they'd be told more about that later. For now, Void faced her sister and followed Null when she saw that the small pegasi moved a little to the side to not be in the way too much.

"That w-went better than I thought. No o-offence big sis, but i were s-sure you'd kick him, and t-things would get awkward."

"Eh, I got bigger fish to fry than someone mocking my height. He went at me, I gave back. Far as I'm concerned, we're square.

Besides, you see that glow on his stuff. Might be magic, and we're not gonna get through this any easier by sabotaging ourselves."

Void were genuinely surprised. Her sister still seemed annoyed, but it were a reasonable, well thought out response to things, in a situation where she'd expect the best answer she'd get to this were *I were trying to figure out where to stab him.* Perhaps not the kindest thing to expect from her sister, yet experience had told her that the odds of this were greater than Null being more tolerable to others who had a go at her.

Strange as it sounded to think this... Perhaps Troy were doing her some good?

The two wouldn't so much else after that but chat a bit back and forth in low voices, not wanting to interrupt others, nor being overheard, though if someone got close enough they'd be able to hear snippets easily enough. Generally just mundane things about their family, and Null trying to encourage Void in believing they'd succeed, long as they didn't lose track of what they were doing, and why.

"So, the first stop is the dead oasis. It's a tradition for missions like this for those involved to make peace with their ancestors, and the oasis is where we've buried and honored the dead of all the conflicts since the nation was founded. Most of their ancestors are honored there, and you two may recognize some too."

"Doubt it. We've never seen others of our family than our parents, and they didn't have pictures. Barely talked about anyone either."

"...I uhm..."

Null turned away from the Consul, and faced her oddly nervous sister. Void were generally nervous, granted, but this were more of an uncomfortable sort than her regular concern about those around her.

"What? Something wrong here?"

"...N-No, nothing's wrong."

"You're lying. Spit it out."

Void were fidgeting, not knowing how to say what she had accidentally poked at here, when it came to ancestry. It should be clear to Illiad that she had in fact Not told Null about their true heritage, including who their real father were, and that they weren't even full sisters. Just afterthoughts of his, with a dark, foreboding legacy to look back at, orphaned because the leader of The Grey couldn't be bothered to warn any medical staff, nor their real mothers, about what sort of thing they would be carrying. Perhaps if he had, there could have been made proper preparations, and their mothers could have survived. Things might have ended up very differently then. Or not, considering how eager some parties in Troy had been in gaining control over them due to their anomaly.

(The following part only takes place if Illiad does not interfere within the next minute and a half)

"W-Well, I've heard s-something about our h-heritage. A few n-notable ponies t-that might be down there. It's j-just... Not a-all good."

"When is it ever? Let's just slog through whatever's down there, let the others make their peace, and then get on with it. Far as I'm concerned, we got enough thinking about our living family, and should keep our focus on them, rather than on some geezers we've never met."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The Consul looked like he might say something, but Void's resolve came before his own. Once she had said her piece, "While very few are buried there, we also honored all the Equestrians that fell in the conflicts. This includes both the Summer War and The Event." He gave a slight look of concern, "It might do you some good, to remember what was lost and what stands left to be saved by your efforts."

Unless they stopped him with another question he would turn away to move back to the front of the ship.

It wouldn't take long before the oasis would come into view, for about a full mile around there was no damage nor sign of any of the Tartarus beings. The wind died down. 

The oasis itself had a greenish color, unlike the clear blue color of the one in Troy and Deltrot. There were even, concentric rings around the oasis for the most part, interspersed among them was the occasional obelisk and in one case what looked like a large plate of metal that looked like a doorway had been melted out of it. There was an amber glow inside it. 

As the ship got closer the rings grew more distinct, there were three of them, and they were made up of dozens of individual tombstones.

Given the apparent lack of threats the ship set down a dozen paces away from the outermost ring, a nearby sign labeled the rings and where each nation was to be found in each.

The outer ring was The Event, and little distinction was made to nation, there were designated obelisks for civilian casualties by nation, Equestria was nearby. If they looked they'd see it was the one made of white marble with obsidian accents.

The middle ring was the Summer War, divided into seven sections among Troy, Equestria, Cervidas, West Cervidas, Zebrica, the Griffon Kingdoms, and the Crystal Empire. The Equestrian section was in line with the Equestrian obelisk from The Event.

The inner ring was the Trojan Independence, divided in half between Troy and Equestria, Equestria on the far side of the oasis.

The sign also pointed out the large melted plate served as a shelter for the Changeling memorial candles of the latter two conflicts.

The individual crew members each went to different national obelisks from The Event. The Consul headed to the Changeling memorial.

(I assume they'd be most interested in the Equestrian Memorial.)

If they approached the Equestrian Memorial they'd find that the surrounding grave markers were in faithful Equestrian style, each bearing the name and service rank of some pony. The obelisk itself instead of names bore cities, each with a date, presumably when it was destroyed. Border towns like Dodge Jct were among the first to fall, but Canterlot was also high on the list, preceding even Ponyville in the list.

At the base of the Obelisk it bore the names of both princesses, and each of the elements of harmony.

@Illiad Easle

On 11/13/2019 at 3:33 AM, Illiad Easle said:

If they approached the Equestrian Memorial they'd find that the surrounding grave markers were in faithful Equestrian style, each bearing the name and service rank of some pony. The obelisk itself instead of names bore cities, each with a date, presumably when it was destroyed. Border towns like Dodge Jct were among the first to fall, but Canterlot was also high on the list, preceding even Ponyville in the list.

At the base of the Obelisk it bore the names of both princesses, and each of the elements of harmony.

"...I guess he had a point."

Null had scoffed at what the Consul had said before, when he claimed it might be good to reflect on those who had been lost, just like the others were going to. Now though, standing in front of the stones marking the loss of the three princesses she had actually met, along with Ponyville and Equestria as a whole... She were finding it hard to argue against what he had said. There were something to find in reflecting over this. Chief among them being regret, which Void shared, though more deeply as she started to cry at the sight.

"*sniff* They didn't deserve this... Why would Discord do this?"

"I don't know, but I hope that wherever his soul went, he's suffering right now."

His grinning face and jovial laughter flashed by her eyes and caused Null to grind her teeth. The princesses had trusted him. Hay, the entirety of Equestria had trusted him enough to give him another chance, and what had he done to repay them? He had killed them. The element wearers, the princesses, countless civilians... And then his evil had spread to a point where even after his death, there were no end in sight. Tartarus were still open and spawning out more monsters that hunted on the few remaining creatures of the world, who were forced into a fight that they couldn't win.

Images of Ponyville and its residents flashed before the both of them. Happy faces of mostly ponies whom Null had perhaps not always been the kindest too, but had started to feel a little warmer towards, as they had tried to do what they could to be inclusive and welcome to the two Trojan refugees. Seeing those faces back then had made her feel a little better, but now, they were just grim reminders of innocents that Discord had taken away. Like Void had said, they didn't deserve this. None of the countless creatures whom these stones represented did.

"I just wish we could have done something."

"Even if we had been there, I doubt we could've done anything to stop him. We would've just been added to these stones, along with the rest of them.

No, the best we can do is to go and make things right. Just like they tried to do for us."

Void nodded and recited a little prayer in her head, whilst tears flowed from her eyes and impacted the dry ground beneath them. Null would simply just stand there, and look at the stone whilst thinking more on those who had been lost for several minutes in pure silence.

If nothing happened within the next five minutes, Void would run a leg over her eyes to dry the tears from them a little, and look at her sister.

"*sniff* We're gonna make it, r-right?"

"...I hope so."

Void would turn her gaze away from this, and start to wander slowly away from these stones, and see if she could get towards the ones marked as Troy. There were nother members of their past she wanted to see if there were marked here, even if she and Null had never technically met them. It seemed right somehow.

As for Null, she would follow, though with her sisters back turned, she would briefly halt at the stone, and run a hoof gently over the obelisk, where the names of the princesses, and the element wearers were written down.

"...Goodbye, everyone. I'll never forget your kindness..."

From Celestia's open welcome, to Fluttershy's worry of their well-being, and Rarity's insistence on wanting to help them decorate their home properly once they were settled in, all of them - and most of Ponyville - had been the kindest creatures that Null had ever met, and it felt like a dagger were twisting in her chest the more she thought of them, and had to remember that she'd never see them wandering down the streets again, or even hear Pinkie Pie's annoying little laughter as she got into one of her party fits.

It had gotten on Null's nerves back then, but right now, what she wouldn't give to hear that joyful little lunatic going around and keeping the mood up in her own, special way, or deal with any of the other creatures they had met in the strange little town... Yet, that wouldn't happen. They were all gone, and much as she loathed to admit feeling for others, she silently missed them, and likely always would.

A tear fell from her eye and landed on the sands beneath, before she forced herself to look away and begin to follow Void. They couldn't stay here and lament the past forever. All of them had to go and finish this, once and for all.

She just prayed to whatever deities that may still be listening, that they were going to succeed.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Foe Hammer stood near the Trojan Civilian memorial, which was a pillar of polished white sandstone with gold accents. The cites that had fallen were shown like they were in the Equestrian memorial, if they cared to look they'd see that Dodge JCT was also on this memorial, as well as Appaloosa and Las Pegasus. The grave markers here were in the Trojan style, being whatever weapon the designated favored stabbed into the ground wrapped with their robe and rank sash, usually pinned together with a pin emblazoned with their mark.

Foe stood near to one grave that had a hammer like hers, and the ranking sash was a red scarf like the one she wore. She wouldn't react to their presence unless spoken to. She was the only one in the Trojan graves for The Event.

The sign had also mentioned private burial plots near the oasis itself, and one was designated as the Grey family.

If Void went there she'd find a single large stone about a meter square emblazoned with the symbol Phi (The Greek letter, capital) A closer inspection would yield that the mark was made up of smaller symbols written in a strange language, but around the symbol were names and dates, most either Grey Mane or Grey Mare, with few notable exceptions. One being the first name: The Oracle Del Phi.

(I don't know who else they'd be after in the Troy memorial.)

@Illiad Easle

On 11/15/2019 at 4:13 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Foe stood near to one grave that had a hammer like hers, and the ranking sash was a red scarf like the one she wore. She wouldn't react to their presence unless spoken to. She was the only one in the Trojan graves for The Event.

They wouldn't address Foe, both thinking that they'd respect her privacy in whatever were going through her head right now, though Void did send a sad glance towards Foe. Seemed like another who had lost some due to Discord's actions, and one of importance, to have a stone marked like that. Perhaps it were something she'd ask about later, to see if Foe wanted to remember whoever she were mourning now, by telling tales of them. Yet for the time being, she had another place she wanted to try and find here, and quite frankly, it were very disrespectful to interrupt someone when they were remembering their lost. She certainly wouldn't enjoy being approached at such an emotional time, unless it were really important.

On 11/15/2019 at 4:13 AM, Illiad Easle said:

The sign had also mentioned private burial plots near the oasis itself, and one was designated as the Grey family.

If Void went there she'd find a single large stone about a meter square emblazoned with the symbol Phi (The Greek letter, capital) A closer inspection would yield that the mark was made up of smaller symbols written in a strange language, but around the symbol were names and dates, most either Grey Mane or Grey Mare, with few notable exceptions. One being the first name: The Oracle Del Phi.

"What're we doing here?"

"...Visiting family."

Null glanced at her little sister, trying to sort out if she were pulling a cruel joke at her right now. Something which sadly did not seem to be the case, as Void went towards the stone, and solemnly started to read the names on the slab of stone. Her gaze did not stop until it reached the one who came first, who had started all of this: The Oracle Del Phi.

The next few minutes were tense for her, as she laid out what she had tried to avoid to bring up so far around Null. The adoption, their father, just... Everything that the Consul had told her. It did cause a few moments where Null looked like she were at the brink of yelling at her, but she managed to keep it mostly to herself, and just look like she were experiencing a massive migraine attack.

"- and that's all I know.

Look, I know this is difficult, but it doesn't change anything, r-right? We're still family, and mom and dad did everything real parents did. Blood doesn't matter here."

"Yes it does."

Void felt like she had just received a gut punch when Null coldly said these words in response. Surely she didn't mean that, right? They were still family, no matter what some blood or papers said. That it weren't as directly as she had always thought, were no reason to just dismiss that.

*gulp* Were it?

"It means that... Thing, not only cost us our parents twice. He also have the gals to keep tormenting us? His own flesh and blood?"

The small pegasus looked up at Void, who took a small step back at how incredibly cold Null's eyes were looking right now.

"I am going to take great pleasure in getting my revenge on him for this. As for these -"

She indicated the stone with the Grey names on it with a dismissive wave of her hoof.

"- I don't care who they are. The Grey name is a curse, and one that we've been dealing with for long enough. Soon as he dies, so does his accursed legacy."

Null would spit at the stone, and wander off after that, not wanting to look at this thing anymore. Soon as she'd get a chance to ponder over this more rationally and with less emotion controlling her mood right now, she'd realize that she couldn't personally do anything to actually stop the bloodline. They could change names, and denounce this accursed legacy, but they'd still be shackled with all the burdens their blood entailed. So there were something that would sour her mood soon enough.

As for Void, she could already see that it weren't that simple, yet at the same time, she didn't want it to be either. Something told her that there were far more to the story of what had happened with the Oracle and her son back then, and she needed to find out sooner or later what it were. Which would require her to remember these names, and find what tomes and other kinds of history that she could at some point. After all, nothing had explained what it were her bloodline had been cursed to see, and why there weren't anything there, but just something that destroyed magic. Something weren't making sense in that equation.

*sigh* But that would have to be another time. Right now, she needed to try and catch up with Null, before she got lost.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Thankfully they were far enough away from the others that none of them saw Null spitting on the memorial, even if it was for the Grey who knows how they might react.

It was about the same time that Null was wandering off and Void after her that the Consul would come to them, "I hope this has been meaningful to you two, but it is time for us to depart."

The others were each making their way back to the ship, the pegasi strapping each other back in to their control harnesses. The Consul would nearly make it to the ship when he froze, his expression turned serious as his head jerked towards the north, his eyes fixed on some point on the horizon. "Noooo," he didn't sound sorrowful, but incredulous at whatever he had noticed. He redoubled his pace, calling out to the reindeer, "Commander! Radio Delta Flight, have them prepare for a trip north and pick me up here."

The reindeer looked a bit incredulous as he prepared to send the message. "A bit odd timing to be giving your friend a visit sir..."

The Consul laughed shortly, "No, I don't intend to go to Blackwater, I need to get to the Crystal Empire."

All eyes turned to him as the reindeer fumbled with the radio before hurrying to send the message. The Consul stepped off the ship as the two earth ponies got ready to spin up the turbines.

The Consul would bow to the sisters. "This is where we part ways, though I hope our paths cross again soon. If what I felt means what I hope it does, we'll have two things to celebrate come morning."

With that he would signal the ship and it would lift off, heading straight for the gates of Tartarus.

(I'll give you a response here before we enter the next scene. If they wanted to ask Illiad anything do have them do that and I'll add his answers before the ship leaves.)

@Illiad Easle

On 11/16/2019 at 11:45 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"I hope this has been meaningful to you two, but it is time for us to depart."

Null just passed by Illiad, not really in the mood for idle chit chat after what she had just been told.

"Whatever."

Void on the other hoof, stopped up, and looked at the Consul with a red streak of embarrassment blushing on her cheeks.

"Sorry C-Consul. I just t-told her about the G-Grey and... She d-didn't take it too w-well. I don't b-blame her, really."

It wasn't an easy one to swallow, but it had to be said, and at least Null hadn't been in denial about it. Just furious, which hopefully weren't gonna impact how she dealt with others too badly right now. They were gonna need every bit of good will between them and the team for this trip, Void were sure of it.

"Still, we h-had a trip over to see t-the Equestrian s-stones. It uhm... R-Reminded us of b-better times. Princess C-Celestia might not have b-been perfect, but I'll m-miss her, and hope that s-somehow, she's not g-gone after all. I know it's f-foolish, but no trace, j-just vanishing... I'm just not c-convinced it's that simple."

Perhaps she were the one in denial here, but the thought wouldn't leave her, and she wished to have some hope of the world not being as bleak as it were. Given enough time, she'd likely have to just accept things as it were, though for the time being, there were still a glimmer of hope for at least some of Equestria.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:45 PM, Illiad Easle said:

The Consul would bow to the sisters. "This is where we part ways, though I hope our paths cross again soon. If what I felt means what I hope it does, we'll have two things to celebrate come morning."

The sisters had looked at Illiad like he had gone off the rails, and in Void's case, with some worry, as he mentioned taking off. Perhaps it wasn't optimal to have the only one capable of dealing with the sun going into a potentially fatal situation, but she had still hoped he'd follow them. At least a little more. Yet now he were suddenly going to take off, and... It were something good? It had to be, if it included a celebration, but what were it?

Sadly it didn't seem like they were going to find out, though Null still stepped up and raised her voice to respond to Illidad, before he had the chance to take off fully.

"A story for a story, Consul. You wanna hear ours, you better not bring a boring one back."

Probably the closest to friendly, yet teasing banter Void had heard Null have with another in years. Not what she had expected from her big sis at all, but as could be seen from the small smile on her face, she rather enjoyed this. And honestly, it were a fun little tease, that unless Illiad came back with something worth talking about, he wouldn't be told what they had been through. A little cheeky perhaps, but somewhat fun too.

And like that, he'd be off. And so were they, towards a mission that might determine the fate of the world. No pressure.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

4 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"Sorry C-Consul. I just t-told her about the G-Grey and... She d-didn't take it too w-well. I don't b-blame her, really."

The Consul nodded, and looked a bit sympathetic.

4 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"A story for a story, Consul. You wanna hear ours, you better not bring a boring one back."

The Consul actually looked surprised at Null's comment, but offered a genuine smile in return, "Deal."

(And now our feature presentation)

Most of those that were with them were somber, especially now that the Consul was not with them. It seemed they had all hoped for his presence in the oncoming struggle.

Soon the relative peace of the dead oasis gave way to the damaged deserts of Troy. Some time later the sand gave way to earth, rough grass and short trees. The spawn seemed a bit less common in this area.

Then things shifted, there were now spots of sickly purple on the ground, the air felt heavier, everyone on the ship would feel slightly ill. Those around them were starting to put special suits on over their armor, it had a similar shade of purple to it, but not as sickly. Foe would come over to them with a pair of the suits. "Here, these should fit you. They look about your size."

If they put them on they'd find that they were a bit roomy, but close to the right size, in Null's case almost right on. "The suit will keep any antimagic particles from getting in your coat, making decontamination easier later. And these," she handed them a pair of gas masks, "Will keep you from breathing any in. I don't know how the antimagic will react to your abilities, but better safe than sorry right?"

The ship turned gently, the purple color seemed to permeate most of everything now, though it seemed the plants had no trouble growing, though they grew irregularly with no one to put them in order.

It was only a short time later that the gates, or what they could only assume were the gates, came into view. Set into the side of a bleak mountain there seemed to be a fort built, the doors stood open slightly and there was a somewhat steady stream of the spawn coming out of the gates.

Foe would clarify as the ship slowed its approach. "That's Fort Tartarus, the true gates are deeper in, they built the fort to protect the gates, but they were the first to be overrun. The fort protected them from the bombs after Discord fell."

The ship came to a halt a few dozen meters away and a few hundred meters above the fort. Foe, the reindeer, and the other earth pony put on some sort of backpack as the griffon approached the sisters. "We go together. Hold still and this will work."

Foe would try to explain, "He's going to carry the two of you down. We can't bring the ship closer" There was a flash of magic from the reindeer, then one of the spawn fell back down to the fort. "because some of them can fly. We'll call them back when we're done."

With that Foe and the other earth pony would jump off the side of the ship, pulling a cord about halfway down to the fort to release a parachute so they could glide in safely to the top of the fort.

If the sisters did not object or struggle too much the griffon would grab them by handles built into the suits and hoist them up as he walked off the edge with wings outstretched, allowing him to glide down to the fort without much difficulty, again provided they did not struggle too much. The reindeer would jump off after, the ship beginning to pull away immediately.

Soon they were all gathered on the top of one of the fort's towers, each of the soldiers with their weapons ready, standing protectively around the sisters.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:10 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Foe would clarify as the ship slowed its approach. "That's Fort Tartarus, the true gates are deeper in, they built the fort to protect the gates, but they were the first to be overrun. The fort protected them from the bombs after Discord fell."

Yeah... This were already starting to do wonder for her morality.

Null would have visibly grimaced about the sight unfolding beneath her, were it not because she did not want to show weakness among these other fighters. And especially not towards Void, who she could feel inching closer to her, as the intimidating view started to worry her. Had to remain the strong big sister here, and give her sister something to lean against metaphorically speaking. Physically, Void could quash her with barely an effort.

That being said, she supposed that keeping up the act wouldn't realistically matter, seeing as this weird outfit they had put on were obscuring her face, but it were hard to just let go of old habits. Keeping the tough act going even when she wanted to flat out state something about how boned they might be, as quite frankly, the place down there looked like the entrance to- Urgh, what were she going on about? It Were, the entrance to the underworld. or the reinforcements around it, which frankly made little difference right now. There were nothing she could really compare it to that would signal how much of a bad idea it were to get anywhere near this place.

Still, they came here with a purpose, and messed up as it were, she were honestly halfway looking forward to go right into the lions den. Worst case scenario, she'd die trying to save the world, with the best outcome being them actually succeeding, and getting the gate shut. So she'd either be a hero, or go down swinging for her family, and to some extend, the world. Sounded like a noble cause either way.

She knew that Void weren't as thrilled about it, but her sister would go through with this, and do her best. They just had to stick together, and hope that she wouldn't panic. She got a little... Punchy, when that happened, and not always looking at collateral.

"Looking forward to see it shut again already."

On 11/19/2019 at 2:10 AM, Illiad Easle said:

If the sisters did not object or struggle too much the griffon would grab them by handles built into the suits and hoist them up as he walked off the edge with wings outstretched, allowing him to glide down to the fort without much difficulty, again provided they did not struggle too much. The reindeer would jump off after, the ship beginning to pull away immediately.

Soon they were all gathered on the top of one of the fort's towers, each of the soldiers with their weapons ready, standing protectively around the sisters.

Null were none too happy getting carried by others who could fly, as it sort of felt like a personal insult to be dragged through that, even if some of those who had done that throughout the times had mainly just tried to be nice and bring a smile to the grumpy pegasi. But since they didn't have an option, she'd begrudgingly just be still, and grind her teeth as she waited for them to be let down by this big mountain of a griffon.

Void were having a bit of a harder time getting used to this, as she were too big and heavy to just normally be lifted up and taken around, so there were a small bit of unintentional wriggling with her false leg, but she did what she could to just close her eyes and try to focus on not flailing, as she knew that might cause her to plummet to the ground, and no amount of anti magic would stop her from being splattered against the ground from such a big fall. Not a happy visual to have dancing around her skull whilst their descent commenced, and she felt happier than she cared to admit to, when she felt a hard surface beneath her hooves and were let go off by the griffon again. The sky really weren't a place for an earth pony like her.

Seeing what the rest were doing, Void and Null took their weapons forth as well. Null were used to focus more on swinging using her muzzle to hold the sword handle, but she did have some experience without being able to do so - often because she at times were too focused on insulting others to be able to keep her teeth stuck on the handle - so she kept it ready at her side, prepared to draw it and slash/stab at whatever got near them. Which considering the protective detail, might be nothing, but she weren't trusting things perfectly.. Plus, she frankly weren't planing on going through this without getting some hits in herself.

"So, who knows were we're going?"

She'd follow - not much of a choice, as they were surrounded and would be urged to move on with the others - but she honestly weren't sure who the one in front here were gonna be. The griffon? Foe? One of the others? Guess they'd see within a few seconds, but for a brief moment, it actually kinda irked her that she didn't know in advance. Off all the things to be nitpicky about...

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Foe seemed to take point as she broke open the hatch that led to the stairway down into the tower. They all tensed for a moment but relaxed when nothing came through the new entrance. Foe and the griffon went in first with the other earth pony and the reindeer taking up the rear. 

Once inside the tower the air felt different, it felt light and the soldiers around them seemed to visibly relax. Foe and the griffon took off their masks. "Looks like intel was right, not a speck of antimag in the fort, not enough to pose a threat anyways." She spoke in a low voice. "Keep close, move quiet. Intel says He left some guards to keep the gates open."

It was nearly silent as they moved down the dust covered stairs in the tower. It took some time for them to reach the bottom, gradually a voice became more and more ineligible, it spoke with a Germane accent. "Ghaa, zue are trying my payshents! Move Schnell! Zey vil be here any moment." Another pair of voices, more Equestrian, one distinctly with a Baltimare accent, voiced their agreement.

The griffon seemed tense, angry even, at the voice. Foe seemed worried at this.

The griffon readied his weapon, using his wings to stabilize he rose up on his hind legs, freeing up his arms to operate the machine. With a cry of fury he rushed the rest of the way to burst through the door at the bottom of the tower, Foe rushing to keep up.

The machine made a sound like a small canon going off, but dozens of times a minute, the spawn in the next room falling just as quickly. The next room itself was a large hallway one end stood open to the wasteland outside, the other led deeper into the fort. Behind a makeshift barricade stood three ponies with terrible smiles. On the left was a pegasus with a bat covered in nails, about half of his primary feathers seemed covered in the same material the griffon's talons were. On the right was an earth pony with a sharp looking shovel, his horseshoes seemed made of the same metal. In the middle stood the unicorn, horn plated in the same. He seemed to be the leader of the group.

The griffon focused in on him in particular. "YOU! Yes You! You I do not forget."

The unicorn faltered slightly as he seemed to recognize the griffon as well, but regained his composure, charging up some spell as he motioned for the others, pointing at the sisters. "Get zem! Raus! Raus!"

The griffon started firing again, but the unicorn had cast a shield to protect himself as the pegasus and the earth pony lunged forward.

There was a great rumbling as blocks from the ceiling started to fall from above, it seemed the shield wasn't the only thing the unicorn was doing. As one block fell the sisters were each grabbed by one from their team, Foe for Void and the other earth pony for Null, the blocks splitting the team in three groups. Foe shouted to the other earth pony, pointing to an open doorway on their side while she moved with Void to a similar one on her side. Each would drag their respective sister if they tried to go another way, the continually falling blocks further trying to dissuade them. "We'll meet back up at the gates. At least one of you has to make it."

The reindeer was with the griffon, blasting the closer falling blocks with magic to keep the griffon safe as they slowly approached the unicorn.

(Assuming they don't do something crazy)

[Void]

The doorway led to a sort of dining area, Foe would start leading the way towards the center of the fort when the far wall would explode inwards, the rival earth pony trotting in with glowing hooves. "If Faust had wanted you to live She would not have invented ME!"

[Null]

The doorway led to a series of dormitories, dark hallways and twisting corridors. The earth pony led the way slowly forward, stopping suddenly when a gust of air passed over them "WAnanananana"

It seemed the pegasus had just flew past them. The earth pony would move to the other side of Null, but still encourage her towards their destination. If Null were looking where they were going she'd see the pegasus relaxing in a doorway with his bat, "You knuckleheads ain't even worth the effort."

(Get ready to fight.)

@Illiad Easle

On 11/21/2019 at 4:19 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Looks like intel was right, not a speck of antimag in the fort, not enough to pose a threat anyways." She spoke in a low voice. "Keep close, move quiet. Intel says He left some guards to keep the gates open."

At the mention that the masks were not needed, Null would take hers off, knowing better how to fight if she were restricted by a piece of fabric and weird gas mask in front of her muzzle. Her sister however, were not as sure about that being a good idea, and whilst looking at Null stuffing the mask inside her suit, would just keep her own on, just in case something might happen. Better safe than sorry here, right?

They'd go on from here with some degree of haste, and seem to be making a relatively stealthy approach so far. It seemed like this might be going easier than at first anticipated.

Sadly, it were not meant to be, as someones voice through a door ticked off their muscle, and the griffon more or less just juggernauted through the door and destroyed their chance of getting further in without being noticed. 

Behind a makeshift barricade stood three ponies with terrible smiles. On the left was a pegasus with a bat covered in nails, about half of his primary feathers seemed covered in the same material the griffon's talons were. On the right was an earth pony with a sharp looking shovel, his horseshoes seemed made of the same metal. In the middle stood the unicorn, horn plated in the same. He seemed to be the leader of the group.

So these were three of the important ones then? Void sorta figured they'd be more intimidating honestly, though the nail bat were giving her some uncomfortable flashbacks, and a small sting of shadow pain on the right side of her barrel. No good creature carried such a horrendous instrument, and far as she were concerned, it were only a tool for sadists.

...Okay, the bat pony were starting to worry her a bit.

Null focused more on the metal they all seemed to share with their griffon companion, and how utterly furious he seemed at even hearing them speak. The unicorn here sure knew him too. Made her think that these had once been part of the same group, with the griffon defecting, or these three turned traitor. Either way, she weren't surprised he looked like he wanted to smash in some skulls.

And fighting were in the air, as the cowardly unicorn started to shield himself up and ready another spell, and his goons lounged forward. Predictable movement they had, and that shield were pretty flimsy for her. Might be a few rocks were fallen, but she were small and nimble, so this were going to be a cakewalk, and she could sort out how to get back to the others once her blade was covered in unicorn blood.

She jumped forward, ducking down and preparing to make a lounge that would bring her right into the path of the shield mage- And then she were grabbed by an earth pony, making it impossible for her to make it in time, and forcing her to just look at her target get hidden behind falling rocks, whilst she were again being dragged off like some sort of rag doll. What did these creatures have against slicing throats and just getting things over with?

Her sister were more focused on the fact that Null were being taken in another direction, but Foe wouldn't have to drag in her to get her in the opposite direction of that. Void saw the rocks falling, and knew what would happen if she tried to jump forward, so thankfully for Foe, Void jumped backward and started to follow along, with nothing but a worried look towards the blocked path before just following the mare.

Considering Void weren't exactly a weakling, there were a solid chance that she could have dragged Foe along with her, in case she lounged forward in a desperate attempt to reach Null. A joyous turn of events that this did not come to pass.

(Void)

She were feeling rather badly right now, as once again, she had been separated from her sister, who were now - again - left with a complete stranger. This were very likely worse than the facility though. This were near the entrance to Tartarus, for Celestia's sake! This were not a time where they would be stronger by being separated, and the horrors in this place likely made those in the facility pale in comparison.

"P-Please let her b-be sa- Meep!"

The doorway led to a sort of dining area, Foe would start leading the way towards the center of the fort when the far wall would explode inwards, the rival earth pony trotting in with glowing hooves. "If Faust had wanted you to live She would not have invented ME!"

Void felt like her heart had just tried to escape through her throat at the shock the earth pony's entrance gave her. Even after the shock, it still felt as if it were beating away at a dangerous pace, as she saw the earth pony who looked some someone edging for a fight. Considering his words, it wouldn't really take a smart being to understand that either, though perhaps there were still some sort of hope for them not going through this, weapons blazing?

She withdrew her spear just in case, but wouldn't lounge forward and try anything right off the bat. Void weren't an aggressor. Not unless she had to be. So either she'd act in defense, or perhaps get some reason through to this one, slim as the chance seemed to be.

"W-Wait! We don't n-need to fight. Just... S-Stand down, and no one w-will get h-hurt. Okay?"

More than likely, this would be the case where they wouldn't be able to move on unless he were dead, but she had to try. Even when it were against someone who didn't give her much of a choice, murder just didn't sit well with her.

(Null)

"You knuckleheads ain't even worth the effort."

"Oh f-"

Null would erupt in a small, five second array of swear words best not repeated, halfway through the bat pony speaking. She didn't give a singular hoot about that overblown garden rodent, and had just about zero respect for him even existing. What she cared about? That between all the ruckus, and thinking on how she were close to getting the first kill in this place, she only Now realized that she had been separated from her sister. Again!

What did this country have against the concept of family? Couldn't go into even one little den of evil without being spread across the place, like they were some sort of dingy detective team in a cheap foals comic.

So now they were out there, she were with someone she frankly didn't know the name of, whilst Null were off with a mare that she didn't trust. Did Null trust any of them? No, but that was besides the point. Point were that they were now separated, in Tartarus of all placed, and she were seriously Not in the mood to listen to this annoying pipsqueak, trying to blow himself up to be all big and tough.

"I swear, when I find her, I'm chaining myself to her."

She gave an angry glance at the bat pony as she spoke, and growled at the winged fool.

"And you? Bugger off, or I'll beat your eyes out with your own walking stick."

If he tried anything,s he'd draw her weapon, and be ready to give him hell. And she weren't going to have mercy, because right now, she really felt like stopping someone from breathing.

@Blitz Boom

[Void]

The enemy earth pony did not seem swayed by Void's words as he readied the sharp looking shovel he was carrying. "This is MY world! YOU are not WELCOME in MY WORLD!"

Foe readied her hammer as well, but didn't respond to his verbal assault.

The metal of his horseshoes began to glow as he leaped toward them, stomping the ground when he was about to land a few lengths in front of them there was a loud explosion right at his hooves launching him up and over the pair of them. A metal clash as his shovel met Foe's hammer and a sharp intake of breath from her.

The enemy spun around as soon as he touched the ground, this time headed for Void.

Foe was bleeding slightly on the cheek from the glancing strike by the sharp shovel.

[Null]

The pegasus seemed rather affected by Null's words, "Oooh yeah you're real scary. Do you even know who you're talking to?"

The earth pony with her looked to take advantage of the pegasus' distraction to lob an explosive at the pegasus, but the pegasus' smile only grew, the plated feathers of his wings glowed slightly as he moved to a ready stance with his bat, "Heh, batter up!" With a cling swing launched the explosive right back at them, but thankfully over them to explode behind them.

"Way to go pally! Now, I don't have a problem with hitting mares, but Foals? And a disabled one at that, This'll be easy."

@Illiad Easle

(Void)

*sigh* The chance had been low that he would just stop, she knew that, but still... She had really hoped to avoid this meaningless violence.

As the Earth pony headed towards them, Void kept her eye on him, and watched as his hooves lit up, sent him flying high, and he then took a downward swing. She had moved to the side to get out of the hit when it were, but the swing had seemingly been headed towards Foe instead, so it hadn't meant much. Seemed like she had been hit too.

...Hopefully that shovel weren't filled with toxins of some sort.

So it seemed like he liked to use the shovel for a strike, to jump over folks to gain advantageous angles, and the horseshoes were pretty clearly magical in nature. This would've been a good time to bring one of her sisters feathers, but sadly, they hadn't thought of that earlier, so if she wanted to mess with this magic, she had to get up close. Which wouldn't be a big issue it seemed, as he were headed right for her. Probably thinking about doing the same tactic again.

It wasn't something that could just be defended against forever, though the angle did make him a little predictable in the air. If she could avoid one swing, she could retaliate, and she knew where to hit to make him stop moving. Either momentarily, or permanently.

Still, there might be something else she could try here...

As he charged, she took a step back, and readied herself for his updraft, and one of two things would happen.

1. He'd make a jump, and she would instantly move forward, striking at his chest (unless there were armor, in which case she'd aim for another exposed part near that), which would force him to parry, or potentially take him off guard, as he appeared to currently use tactics against defending targets only.

2. He didn't jump, in which case she'd move to the right and strike out at him at the same time, keeping her eye on his shovel and where it might be headed, ready to get out of its way/parry it too, if possible.

In case Foe tried something stupid, like jumping in front of her, Void would push her aside, and just parry, rather than attack.

Would this stop him? More than likely not, but it might show her a bit more how he fought, and give her a chance to get in close, and disable his fancy shoes. If not that, pummel him senseless tended to work too. Not something she would've preferred, but this guy did not seem like he were interested in giving them much of a choice in dealing with him, other than violence.

(Null)

On 11/26/2019 at 4:52 AM, Illiad Easle said:

The earth pony with her looked to take advantage of the pegasus' distraction to lob an explosive at the pegasus, but the pegasus' smile only grew, the plated feathers of his wings glowed slightly as he moved to a ready stance with his bat, "Heh, batter up!" With a cling swing launched the explosive right back at them, but thankfully over them to explode behind them.

Oh swell, she'd gotten stuck with the one dropped off the wagon as a foal. Seriously, that guy had a bat, and her *brave companion* thought it a good idea to lob an explosive at him? He should just be thankful that this leather-winged dimwit were bad at aiming where he battered things off to, or they would've been smoldering piles of ash and chunks of meat right about now. She should remind herself to find him a book on common sense later. Or a pamphlet at least.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:52 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Way to go pally! Now, I don't have a problem with hitting mares, but Foals? And a disabled one at that, This'll be easy."

"Who're you calling a foal, you over-sized garden rodent?"

She were sneering at this annoying gnat as he said that. Making fun of her disabilities and calling her apparently harmless were aggravating enough, but a foal? She might have a the height of one, but she clearly, bloody, wasn't! To here with this guy, whoever the hay he were even supposed to be.

"You think you're better than me or something, huh? I'm known throughout the world, and I've done things a brat like you couldn't even fathom. And what do you have? A poking stick, no name worth remembering, and two dorks that're only hanging around because they're as pathetic as you are."

Null would spit in his direction, and stomp forward, not caring one bit if he found her threatening or not yet. He would in due time, as what she lacked in size, she more than made up for in speed. Plus, being this small, had one perk that did come in handy at times: She were pretty nimble. Considering the sort of weapon he lounged around, it were just a matter of a swing and a miss at the right time, and then she'd go get herself a nice portion of liver. Among other things.

Sure sounded nice right about now too. She were rightly miffed off, and could use someone to get her aggressions out on.

"Bring it on, pipsqueak."

• Brohoof 1