Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Deep Science 1x1 with Blitz Boom

Illiad Easle

@Blitz Boom

17 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"I wonder who the mare is. She doesn't seem like she wants to be there."

Void's comment would draw their parent's attention, who would seem equally curious about the mare. Their mother would speak first, "I don't think I've seen her before, which is strange considering how few unicorns there are here."

Their father would continue, "Meaning that more than likely she's new, which makes it doubly odd that she'd be up there, dressed like that."

17 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"I'm more wondering what the Consul's gonna say, and if it's just gonna be about this whole thing. Seemed like he got mighty happy about something before we descended into Tartarus anyway. Whatever that were, might be worth a listen."

She wouldn't have to wait long, it was only a minute or two after she evaluated the potential escape routes that a hush fell over the crowd. More guards had arrived to flank the stage, and that seemed to be the cue that the Consul would shortly arrive. A pair of the guards moved to the doors of the estate, which stood directly behind the podium, and opened the doors for the Consul to walk out, garbed in his finest, mane styled as much as a magical flow of sand could be, the golden laurel of his office sitting atop his head. His robe was a stark white with a thick red border, reaching down to between his fetlocks and his hooves. But what may have stood out the most was his expression. It was one of peace, relief, of hope. He looked calmer than they had ever seen him, and the crowd seemed to notice as a buzz of whispers filled the air.

The Consul raised a hoof to silence them once he reached the podium, and there was a mixed reaction in the crowd. Most of them gave a formal Trojan bow, including their parents, while others, mostly ponies, gave the more Equestrian bow, yet others, almost exclusively griffons, gave a stiff salute. They all returned to attentiveness when he lowered his hoof.

The Consul let out a deep breath before he began, "My fellow Trojans, Equestrians, and all creatures of Equis gathered here. I've gathered you all together today to share in a series of truly wondrous events which have transpired in these past few days. I will give, to the best of my ability, a summary of two of these, and the third will be explained by one more understood in the matter than I. A full account of all three will be published in the next edition of the bulletin, but it was the consensus of the council that this information be shared as soon as possible."

The Consul took a deep, steadying breath, "The first announcement is this: after much study, and combined with the third announcement, another part of His curse was unraveled. As it says here, the curse will last only twenty-five years. After such time, Faust willing, those affected may quite possibly return."

There was an immediate uproar in the crowd, mostly of surprise, but generally in a positive way. Their parents had entered a sidelong embrace, each with happy tears in their eyes.

The Consul raised his hoof again, and the crowd quickly calmed, many would notice that he too had a few tears in his eyes, yet he pressed on. "More on the logistics of their potential return in the third announcement, and in the bulletin. The second announcement is this: Due to the valiant efforts of our brave task force, as well as the selfless assistance of a pair of noble ponies to whom we owe a debt of gratitude," he seemed to be looking right at Null and Void as he said that, "the Gates of Tartarus stand closed. Finally we will be able to push back the spawn. It will take time, but soon they will be no more dangerous or prevalent than the timber wolves and stone crabs we've dealt with before. Already a troop has been dispatched to regain contact with South Port, another sent to the sea to finally rejuvenate our cloud base. No longer will we have to huddle in fear within our crumbling walls, but now we can push outward and reclaim what was taken."

The crowd seemed joyful, energized by this announcement, and their parents would embrace the sisters as well if they were willing.

The Consul continued, "And now the third announcement is this: While those that Left in the Æther will be able to return when the curse ends, and be relatively unscathed, those that are Gone, will not be quite the same provided they return. I have here to explain, one who is rather experienced in where those that are Gone, are."

There were a number of hushed and not so hushed whispers in the crowd as the Consul stepped back and allowed the unicorn mare to awkwardly take to the podium. Despite not being the Consul all gave her their rapt attention. "Few of you, if any, may know me. I am Sunset Shimmer, former student of Princess Celestia before Princess Twilight." she took a steadying breath, she seemed quite unused to public speaking, especially to quite a large group. "As any chaos mage can tell you, chaos magic is not without its rules. And these rules once understood bring the ability to understand everything. One rule Dis-HE had to follow in His curse, was he couldn't just make them disappear, couldn't make them cease to exist. He had to send them somewhere, I have traveled there, lived there for many years until recently when I returned. I felt them arrive, when He opened the bridge to send them. He couldn't kill them, so the only way to keep them there was to hide them from themselves, make them forget who they were. But the curse will end after twenty five years, it may take time but they will remember, and they will be able to find their way back, I made sure of that."

With that she withdrew from the podium and the Consul returned, "Five years we've spent mourning, the time of mourning is over. We have twenty years until they return, twenty years to build a world for them to return to. May the stars guide us all." The Consul then raised a hoof in dismissal, all as before performing their version of a formal acknowledgement, then the crowd began to disperse, exited talking among all. At the podium the Consul and the mare, flanked by guards, were answering questions from reporters.

Their parents seemed still stunned by the revelations, "Twenty years, how can we put it all back together so quickly? Troy took a thousand years to get as big as it did."

"And it was dismantled in under a thousand days. But I suppose it doesn't have to go back the way it was, no sense in not improving it now, building it back up better than before."

(Have some conversation if you like)

As they were preparing to descend from the rooftop a pegasus landed on their roof, "I bring a message from the Consul to you four, he says: The procedure will be ready whenever you are, provided your parents are willing and able to provide some necessary compounds." The pegasus pulled out a paper and passed it to their parents and looked concerned, "I don't know what you're going to need chemical anesthetics of that strength for, but I wish you all the best." Message delivered, the pegasus leaped back off their roof to wherever else a message needed delivering. 

On 1/19/2020 at 7:48 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"And it was dismantled in under a thousand days. But I suppose it doesn't have to go back the way it was, no sense in not improving it now, building it back up better than before."

Neither Null, nor Void really listened in at this point anymore. At around the time when it were revealed who the unknown mare were, they both felt their pulse increase, as her being alive would surely mean that Equestria were not just obliterated after all. Not all the beings within at least, and if one so close to the princess had made it out alive, there were a chance that Celestia weren't dead after all.

And that were indeed the case. She had been more or less banished, along with a whole lot of other Equestrians, but she weren't dead, and she could return again in just about twenty years. A lifetime to some, but they should still both be alive at that point, right? They would be able to meet her again, and thank her for all she did for them properly.

Now, they weren't idiots. They had caught up on the fact that she had been part of some shady stuff, including things involving their parents and anti magic, but considering she had given them a chance where others had cast them out, and actually given them hope for a future, she had a lot of leeway with the sisters before they started to look upon her negatively again. Something which would keep being easier, the lesser they asked about any of her dealings.

So after that point,t he two had more or less just looked between one another and Sunset Shimmer, nodding on occasion as they both silently agreed that they needed to go and see this mare later, if at all possible. The public statement were a great one, and hay, they'd even get a smile on their faces, but they were going to want more details on how Celestia and the others were doing, and if perhaps Ponyville had been dragged in like this too. It might be that some of their neighbors were still going to be around.

That however, also meant that there were going to need to be a whole lot of cleaning up before they returned, to make sure there were a safe (for Ponyville) place to rebuild, and there were still a good deal of those Tartarus spawns out there. Seemed like there were going to be a whole lot of pest control that were going to be needed the next twenty years.

(Have some conversation if you like)

"I... I can't believe it. Celestia might still be alive!"

"And those from Ponyville too! It's incredible."

For the first time in longer than she could even say for sure, Null actually felt happy. Shaken to the core and somewhat confused yes, but happy, and the look on her face betrayed that, as she for once didn't look like a grizzled war veteran, ready to slice whoever she encountered into little pieces, but rather just a mare.

Void were more emotional, with tears running from her real eye, as she almost fluttered above ground with joy. It weren't going to last, as they'd eventually think about the ways this might just be a publicity stunt, but in the moment, with Void's increasing hope for a better tomorrow, and Null's shaking, emotional state, it had managed to cheer them up quite substantially.

"I bring a message from the Consul to you four, he says: The procedure will be ready whenever you are, provided your parents are willing and able to provide some necessary compounds." The pegasus pulled out a paper and passed it to their parents and looked concerned, "I don't know what you're going to need chemical anesthetics of that strength for, but I wish you all the best."

That didn't last long though, as this managed to put a bit of a damper on things, as Void smile stiffened, and the look in her eye turned to being worried instead, by the notion that they were going to need some powerful anesthetics for what were to come. Exactly how much were this going to hurt?

"Dad? How bad does it look?"

"Pff, who cares? The stuff keeps the pain down, it's fine. Not like a bit of pain's gonna kill me, right?"

Now Null were still feeling on the jollier side, but it wouldn't take more than a few more nervous glances than that she were given by Void, to make her stiffen up again, and start thinking on all the ways this were about to go bad, up to and including going through the sort of pain that either left her insane, or that overcharged her system, and gave her a heart attack.

This day were just hellbent on swinging up and down constantly, wasn't it?

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

3 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"Pff, who cares? The stuff keeps the pain down, it's fine. Not like a bit of pain's gonna kill me, right?"

Their parents didn't seem too concerned. "Of course not, these are pretty easy to make and simple to use. So long as whoever they had administering them knows what they're doing there shouldn't be any danger in it. With these you shouldn't feel a thing during the procedure, and it looks like these here are for afterwards as you adjust..." They nodded, "nothing too special we could have them ready in an hour. They're best made fresh so, let us know when you're headed for the procedure and we'll get them made as fast, and as carefully, as we can."

With that they would lead them off the roof of the building back out onto the crowded streets where most where headed away from the center, many excitedly talking about moving out of back, while others simply walked in silence with their fellows. Their father would turn to them, "So, you two headed back with us? Or back to the Consul's estate? If you're going to get the procedure done soon we could get started on those anesthetics."

On 1/21/2020 at 12:28 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Of course not, these are pretty easy to make and simple to use. So long as whoever they had administering them knows what they're doing there shouldn't be any danger in it. With these you shouldn't feel a thing during the procedure, and it looks like these here are for afterwards as you adjust..." They nodded, "nothing too special we could have them ready in an hour. They're best made fresh so, let us know when you're headed for the procedure and we'll get them made as fast, and as carefully, as we can."

See? Nothing to worry about at all. Just some pain during the procedure to keep things from going too far, and then a bit afterwards to ensure she wouldn't be laying around and scream constantly.

Although... This started to have a certain *invasive surgery* sort of vibe to it. And considering their curse, neither her nor Void had the most impressive track record with those, seeing as a good chunk of societies relied on magic in some fashion to make those things safer and easier. That wasn't going to be an option though, when it came to them, and messing with your back like that were rather dangerous.

This line of thought dampened Null's mood a bit, and caused the small smile on her face to go back to a more neutral look, though she weren't into her regular grouchy, mistrustful state just yet. The words of her parents assuring her it'd be fine, and the words that made it sound as if they'd be there to make sure things would go alright once it actually started, managed to soften the impact some. It'd probably still go fine.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:28 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"So, you two headed back with us? Or back to the Consul's estate? If you're going to get the procedure done soon we could get started on those anesthetics."

The streets had a lot more dampened of a response than Void would have thought, considering the great news they just got. Perhaps some were of the folks who stil bore a grudge against Celestia? Or maybe, Equestrians who were sullen about how long it'd be before they were able to meet up with their loved ones again?

*sigh* It were hard to say, but still, it looked like there were overall a good vibe going around. Just not the massive partying sort of response that she might have expected. Seemed like even if their time had been very brief, Pinkie Pie had managed to make an impression on Void and certain expectations of hers. Hopefully that mare would be among the ones returned, even if she could be a bit much to deal with sometimes. The world could use a cheerful soul like that, especially after the dark period that had fallen over it the past few years.

"We should probably go there and get it over with. The sooner the better, right?"

Her actual reason were that she wanted to take advantage of Null being in a good mood, as it'd likely make this a whole lot smoother than if she were grouchy and confrontational. She just didn't want to outright say this, as it sounded a bit judgemental to her, despite how true she knew it were, so she tried to package it in to make it seem as if she were just concerned about getting over all the bad things right away.

"Sounds fine to me. We'll see you again soon  mom and dad."

The sisters went over and hugged their parents, before going on their way down the streets, headed for the Consul's estate. Seemed like Illiad weren't gonna have a break in his busy day just yet.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

It would be pretty slow going against the flow of creatures, but easy to hear the passing conversations. The positive ones involved hopes for the future, getting to see those who had left after so long, the negative ones were more in remorse for those who would not be coming back, those who had died defending the rest, those who had died afterwards. But what would likely stand out most were the odd silent pony standing still in the crowd as they walked. If the sisters took notice, they'd see at least one watching them through the cut grey blindfold their father used to speak to them earlier. If they looked hard, they'd see at least 6 between where they started and reaching the platform at the estate. But if they tried to approach any of them they'd disappear into the crowd.

When they reached the platform the Consul quickly took notice of them, and dismissed the reporters to speak with the others on the platform, which was mostly Selena and the awkwardly sitting Sunset. The Consul motioned for the sisters to follow him as he sent a guard off with a wave of his hoof before making his way back into the estate. "I assume you're ready then? I'll send the word out, but before we begin I'll have the good doctor explain the procedure." He'd look back over at them, "Unless there is something that needs to be addressed first? It'll be two to three weeks of recovery afterwards, at best. This is not a common procedure after all so it could take longer."

If they did not object he would lead them up to the room where Null had found him moving the sun and moon, it had been converted into a hospital clean room, with a number of pure clouds floating near the ceiling. The changeling medic was examining a device on a nearby table with the help of Pen and Vale, the latter looking much better than the last time they had seen her. They all turned to watch as Null entered the room, Pen nodding in greeting as they moved away from the table to reveal the device. It looked like a wing, built to match the size of her other one, a connected set of metal formed the wing bones and joints, and extending out of it were feathers made of what looked like glass. As Vale made adjustments the joints folded and unfolded like a natural wing, the feathers overlapping in a perfect imitation of a real wing. She nodded as she turned to face Null herself, "It's not perfect, but that can always get fixed later."

The changeling medic approached, "If you wouldn't mind giving me the feathers you collected? I'll incorporate them to the wing, provided you approve?"

(Explanation in OOC)

@Illiad Easle

On 1/23/2020 at 5:54 AM, Illiad Easle said:

But what would likely stand out most were the odd silent pony standing still in the crowd as they walked. If the sisters took notice, they'd see at least one watching them through the cut grey blindfold their father used to speak to them earlier. If they looked hard, they'd see at least 6 between where they started and reaching the platform at the estate. But if they tried to approach any of them they'd disappear into the crowd.

This were the thing to break the pleasant mood that had fallen over the sisters.

Soon as Void had seen one of them, she had stopped up, mortified and when Null had asked what were going on, she had pulled her smaller sister up to her back so that she could see this herself. One- No, four spies they counted, all gazing at them through those cut, grey blindfolds that marked them as Grey members. Foolish lackeys of their so called *father*, out here and clearly keeping tabs on the two of them.

Had Null managed to get her hooves on any of them, she'd be able to start her clean slate off with a nice charge of attempted murder via strangulation, but sadly she never did. Whenever she tried to rush over there, the one in question had always taken off and blended into the crowd. Considering the only way to know who it had been were to properly see them with the mask on too, it made this a pointless exercise, and it were pretty frustrating for both of them to go through. Nuill because she wanted to beat information out of them, and Void because it fed her paranoia, and made her worry who might be out there, spying for him, and what they'd do when their backs were turned.

Considering these things, it were hardly surprising that when they got to Illiad's place, Void had started to look around her whenever she thought she felt someone near her, and Null looked royally miffed. So much for the good vibes before.

"I assume you're ready then? I'll send the word out, but before we begin I'll have the good doctor explain the procedure." He'd look back over at them, "Unless there is something that needs to be addressed first? It'll be two to three weeks of recovery afterwards, at best. This is not a common procedure after all so it could take longer."

"Yeah, there's something to address alright: Your city's crawling with vermin. Counted four Grey members spying on us through the crowd, and sadly I didn't get a chance to introduce their faces to my hooves before they took off."

A shame she had not taken the nail bat with her, but left it back with their mom and dad, just as Void had with the hammer she had been more or less granted. Would've been satisfying to use it to literally beat some information out of someone. Or threaten at the very least. Depended on how willing they'd been to talk, had she caught them.

"H-He used those b-blindfolds to take over and t-talk to us before. He k-knows we're h-here now. And t-that many? He... I f-fear he's p-planning something."

Void's face suddenly got a good deal paler after that, as she suddenly thought of something that he might be planning, or were willing to do to get to them, and the thought were horrifying her.

"W-What if they go a-after mom and d-dad?! He h-hurt them before, he m-might do it again, and... A-And..."

The thought now shared, made Null look about ready to somehow pulverize a rock via sheer anger.

"I swear, if he tried, he's getting skinned alive. We can't just leave them alone."

(in case the Consul aren't sending anyone to check up on them, Void would wander off, insisting that Null went on to get her wing sorted whilst she kept their parents safe)

"If you wouldn't mind giving me the feathers you collected? I'll incorporate them to the wing, provided you approve?"

"Yeah, whatever. Here."

Null lifted her hat, and grabbed the few feathers she had nicked, then forked them over to the changeling as she glanced around on the weird things going on here. Though in particular, her eyes went on the replacement wing. It reminded her some of what that Molotov Boom fellow who had hit on Void a few times had been wandering around with, just without wires, and looking more like an actual pegasus wing, rather than that of a bat pony. And just like with him, it turned out that the secret to flight all along had been invasive surgery. Seemed like the eggheads all thought in basically the same lines when it came to wings.

"So, wild stab in the dark, you're gonna go graft that to my spine, and that's what the barrel full of pain meds are gonna be for? Peh, and here I thought the Boom guy were crazy when he said that's how he did it... Go figure it'd come back to that in the end."

None of them would probably know who the Boom guy even were. While the family were bright inventors, they had lived secluded in a town far away from anyone else, and done research exclusively for Princess Celestia. While their things could and had helped out many places throughout Equestria, this had not happened as long as the town had stood, without first going through Celestia for approval. Something not everyone in Center Zero had done themselves with anything but their most important findings, but the Boom family were indebted to Celestia, and fiercely loyal. They'd never knowingly work together with anyone from Troy.

After the town's residents had vanished, post attack by some creature not leaving any trace, some research had started to go out via the sole survivor, Molotov Boom, yet he hadn't been a household name despite going around with that. He still mostly kept to himself in a well protected lab on the outskirts of Manehattan, up until the attack. Gods knows where he were now.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

On 1/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"H-He used those b-blindfolds to take over and t-talk to us before. He k-knows we're h-here now. And t-that many? He... I f-fear he's p-planning something."

It put a slight damper on the Consul's mood to hear about the Grey, but not much. "I counted at least 8 watching the speech, I don't think you were his main target today. But I'll have your parents escorted regardless, no need to risk their well-being nor the anesthetics." With a pointed look a nearby guard who had apparently been listening set off in the direction of their house.

Null lifted her hat, and grabbed the few feathers she had nicked, then forked them over to the changeling

The changeling graciously accepted the feathers, inserting them firmly among the ones made of diamond, the individual feathers immediately around the new feathers took on a faint glow in the low light of the room.

"So, wild stab in the dark, you're gonna go graft that to my spine, and that's what the barrel full of pain meds are gonna be for? Peh, and here I thought the Boom guy were crazy when he said that's how he did it... Go figure it'd come back to that in the end."

Vale spoke up in response, "Hopefully not, but we're able to if we have to. There should be enough connections left in the main joint that we shouldn't need to go further. It's about the same weight as a normal wing anyway so it won't need extra support."

Feathers installed, the changeling brought over a top down diagram of a pegasus' skeletal and magical structure, pointing out the concentration of magical nodes that passed through the main joint into the wing. "A normal prosthetic would ignore the internal magics and just have an enchantment to replicate flight, but we can't do that for obvious reasons, to work around that we built the replacement joint with a number of cloud diamond traces, which we'll surgically connect to the relevant magical conduits, provided they haven't decayed too badly."

He motioned and Pen leaped into the air to pull, or rather blow, one of the clouds down to the floor level where the changeling began to shape it into a table shape the right size for Null while Pen and Vale prepped the tools needed to prepare the surgery site.

Once the table was ready he motioned for Null to climb up onto it, it was set up so she could lay on her barrel with her legs down into channels which would hold them securely, yet comfortably. "We'll start prepping the site now so we can start the surgery as soon as Dr. Dala and the anesthetics arrive."

@Illiad Easle

14 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"I counted at least 8 watching the speech, I don't think you were his main target today. But I'll have your parents escorted regardless, no need to risk their well-being nor the anesthetics." With a pointed look a nearby guard who had apparently been listening set off in the direction of their house.

The sisters both let out a sigh of relief, and thanked the Consul as he set a guard out to keep an eye on their parents. Perhaps they were just being paranoid, and the Grey had a far more important target than them in mind (The Consul himself, as well as Celestia's apprentice), but they would've constantly worried if they didn't know at least one set of eyes were on them. Eyes not belonging to the Grey, to be exact.

It were calming to have this sorted now, even though , hearing that they had missed several spies of the Grey were not too comforting. How many agents did the old monster still have out there?

15 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Feathers installed, the changeling brought over a top down diagram of a pegasus' skeletal and magical structure, pointing out the concentration of magical nodes that passed through the main joint into the wing. "A normal prosthetic would ignore the internal magics and just have an enchantment to replicate flight, but we can't do that for obvious reasons, to work around that we built the replacement joint with a number of cloud diamond traces, which we'll surgically connect to the relevant magical conduits, provided they haven't decayed too badly."

Null glanced at the diagram, but rather quickly lost interest, as this whole thing were just gibberish to her. She weren't a tech head, alright? Even though she could grasp from the joints how things would go, as she had some experience with that, seeing as she made wooden legs for Void with that in mind. There were also that it likely wouldn't have to go much further than her stump, though there were some chance it had to be dug deeper.

As for all the rest of it, it might as well be written in draconic.

"Sure. Just gonna let you juggle with the details, and I'll just lie down and let you do whatever. This stuff's above my paygrade."

15 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

He motioned and Pen leaped into the air to pull, or rather blow, one of the clouds down to the floor level where the changeling began to shape it into a table shape the right size for Null while Pen and Vale prepped the tools needed to prepare the surgery site.

Once the table was ready he motioned for Null to climb up onto it, it was set up so she could lay on her barrel with her legs down into channels which would hold them securely, yet comfortably. "We'll start prepping the site now so we can start the surgery as soon as Dr. Dala and the anesthetics arrive."

Null tentatively stepped closer to the cloud, not knowing what to expect. It had been over twenty years ago since she had been near one of these, and back then, she couldn't remember for the life of her if she ever interacted with any clouds. Weren't like she had a lot of times flying around in the air before the locals thought it was a great idea to cut her off. Literally. Probably only two, maybe three times in total.

Approaching it though, she were pleasantly surprised to find that she actually could interact with it, and weren't just passing through, or somehow dissipated it.

Climbing up on it, she found it to be pretty sturdy, if a little puffy, and placed her legs in the appropriate holes for her to lie down on her stomach, and just await what were going to happen. Whilst she didn't want to admit it, this actually felt really nice, and resonated a part of her being that she hadn't felt like ever since she were a small filly. Something which should be evident by the pleased sigh, unwillingly escaping her muzzle.

"Hey sis?"

Void crept closer, a little worried about what were going to happen, and why Null had called her out.

"Y-Yes?"

"If this ends up killing me, don't let them turn me into a hoof puppet."

Void frowned a little at this comment from her sister. Were she actually joking? Now, of all times?

"That's w-wasn't funny."

"Eh, maybe not.

Anyway, who's Dr. Dala? Chief bone sawer, or some sorta engineer type?"

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

5 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

Anyway, who's Dr. Dala? Chief bone sawer, or some sorta engineer type?"

No sooner did she say her name than the griffon herself, the same one they had just seen in the hospital for Void's face. "Ah, zhou two again? Not beeg surprize."

The griffon took a bit of the leftover cloud from the changeling's shaping it, using some amount of it to clean her talons, and another bit to rest her talons on so she could move around the room without putting her now cleaned talons back on the floor.

Meanwhile the changeling started making adjustments to the table to adjust it more accurately to Null's proportions for an even more snug fit, once her legs were secured he brought a layer of cloud over her back, covering from the base of her neck to the base of her tail, effectively pinning her to the table, before removing a small portion of the cloud to reveal the area they would be operating on.

Vale and Pen would then approach to prep the area, carefully shaving off the fur where the incisions would be made, as well as marking exactly where the conduits were both by reference to the diagram and some careful prodding of the muscle groups.

The Consul moved around to be on the side Null was facing, "If there's anything you need in the meantime, don't hesitate to ask."

Provided neither of the sisters objected, Pen and Vale would finish the prep work shortly, leaving whatever Null had left of her amputated wing absolutely bare of fur.

Once Dr. Dala had cleaned her talons she continued by giving the same cleaning treatment to the array of surgical tools, which the changeling further cleaned with golden fire, a second pass through the cloud served to cool the tools, so at least they wouldn't be burning as they cut.

It wasn't long after the prep work was complete that the guard returned, parents in tow, their father laden with multiple vials, pouches, and needles, which they passed to the Changeling, briefly explaining the crude labels to him. In short order they prepped a large-ish needle of one of the vials, which was sterilized and presented to the griffon. "Now, let us begin."

Vale dabbed the injection point, and Dala quickly followed it up with the injection. "Ve vait five minutes, zen check for ze numbness. Eef gud ve kontinue."

Their parents would come over to where Null could see them, their father taking up position with Vale and their mother sitting close enough to Null that she could grip her hoof if Null wanted.

Five minutes would pass, and Dala would prod with her talon, Null would feel a slight bit of pressure, but true to the effects it would feel numbed, further she would feel slightly drowsy. "Doz zat hurt?"

@Illiad Easle

Pinned down and prepped for surgery. Reminded her a bit about the time they'd gotten lost in Pinkenshire, and sought shelter in what they thought were an abandoned husk, just to find some nutter doing unlicensed surgeries in there. Y'know, just without the heaps of dead bodies, and a rambling mad pony talking about how "This time, it is sure to work!".

Urgh  one of the few times her anti magic had really been a life saver, as that poker of his didn't do whatever to her that happened to his previous victims, but just cut a nasty hole in her back. Sometimes when she were washing her back, she could swear she still felt a small deepening from where he had cut, despite Void swearing that he hadn't taken anything out.

But that had been then, and this were now. Both included being strapped down and getting worked on, but that were a forced situation by someone who clearly didn't have all his marbles, and this here were an apparent amount of professional, who supposedly were trying to help her. She still weren't entirely sure, but considering she were strapped down, had her stump shaved and felt numb, it wer epretty much too late to back out anyway. Just had to bite down and get it over with.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:58 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Doz zat hurt?"

"If I ain't screaming  it ain't hurting. And if I start on that, shove a sock in my muzzle and get on with it."

Though she were trying to keep the tough act up, her voice were carrying a sense of nervousness, as Null did her best to stop from reaching over with her hoof, to seek some degree of comfort. She hated having to want this, as it made her feel weak around strangers that she didn't wish to show that sort of side of herself to, but the instintual need to reach out for her mother or sister were irritatingly hard to fight.

Depending on how this went, she might end up doing so. It would come down to whatever or not they actually had to sock her, though even if she wouldn't feel enough pain to start on that, any sort of pain on her back going through would result in her reaching out. The tough act could only take her so far, and seeing how nervous this already made her feel, she weren't exactly at the top of her game.

Void were atanding near their mother, ready to provide comfort too,  if Null needed it, though she were arguably as nervous, if not more than her big sister. Over two decades of torment for Null could change right here, or it could end in disaster, and there would be nothing she could do about it if it went wrong, other than being there for her sister.

*gulp* Here was hoping for the best, even if she feared the worst.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(As I am not a doctor, nor surgeon, we'll gloss over the surgery itself.)

Once it was established that Null was probably numbed, they began the operation.

First Dala made a number of incisions along the stump and around the wing joint, exposing the musculature beneath with surprisingly little bleeding. Vale and Pen were busy with the wing itself, separating the full wing from the piece that would be permanently mounted to Null, which amounted to something shaped vaguely like a thimble about the same length as her stump, maybe shorter. Once the incisions were made the changeling passed a series of what looked like diamond needles, which Dala inserted carefully into the incisions around the joint, laying them along the incisions in the stump. Null would feel something akin to a static shock when each pin made contact with a nerve. If void were looking closely she'd be able to see that each diamond started glowing when they had been properly inserted, it was faint, but noticeable.

Diamonds inserted Dala began to close up the skin around the diamonds, stopping short of the ends at the end of the stump. Then she was given the socket for the new wing, which fit snugly over the stump, it was placed flush with the joint, attached with what smelled like adhesive, then the remaining bits of diamond which stuck out from before were connected to the end of the socket itself, before being covered with a number of other pieces to ensure a secure connection to Null's body.

That alone took well over two hours of intense work by Dala, but they were ready to attach the rest of the wing, it connected to the socket almost like a magnet, the outer covering where the socket entered reaching all the way to the joint. A certain part was twisted to ensure the magnets would not disengage, and the wing was attached.

The faint glow from the diamonds earlier extended down the newly connected feathers, but it was only enough to make the edges of the individual feathers glow.

Dr. Dala sighed heavily, "Iz done. I rest now." with which she stepped back from the table, allowing Vale and Pen to take her place making some final adjustments to the wing itself before extending it outward fully and resting it on the cloud. The changeling would come around to the front where Null could see him. "If you could, carefully, extend your wing out? Don't want to aggravate that sprain of yours, but first." He motioned to Illiad, who produced a sort of mirror which, if Null looked into it, would show her good side twice, reflected across her muzzle, it essence it showed her as if she were symmetrical, her natural wing shown on both sides of her body. "Look at your reflection, imagine that you are extending both wings out like you see in the image."

During the procedure, whenever Null showed too much discomfort, especially around the static shocks when the inserted diamonds connected to her magical conduits, more of the numbing agent would be administered. It seemed like they were using small doses as they tended to wear off somewhat quickly. If Null asked about it the changeling would respond: "If we give too much you'll fall asleep, we need you awake in order to find the conduits and connect the wing properly."

But now, it seemed done, all that was left was for her to spread her wings and see. The changeling carefully removed the restraints that had been holding her wing down, but kept a light hold on the wing itself so as to make sure she didn't damage it in this extension exercise.

(I suppose you'll mostly post the sister's reaction to the surgery, then have her moment of hope, so next post I can give the full results.)

@Illiad Easle

On 1/29/2020 at 4:48 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Null would feel something akin to a static shock when each pin made contact with a nerve. If void were looking closely she'd be able to see that each diamond started glowing when they had been properly inserted, it was faint, but noticeable.

This particular part of the process didn't hurt per se, but Null felt her teeth clench every time a jolt went down her stump and vibrated on her spine. An annoying little side effect that were not comfortable, but which she could imagine might have been rather painful were she not currently sedated. Electricity had a tendency to be like that, in her personal experience, though numbed like this, she couldn't tell how strong this were. Were it like a strong static? Or actual jolts, like from a live wire? Because she had been on the receiving end of both, and one of those made her feel cooked alive, while the other just stung.

Urgh, hopefully it wouldn't be the first option. The pain meds were gonna have to be rather strong to make her get through the aftermath of a proper frying.

Void weren't blind to this reaction from her sister, but as Null didn't seem to be reacting enough on it to yelp out or reach out for any of them, she could do nothing but hope that her sis were okay, and instead focus on the work as it continued, starting with the crystals glowing as they got attached to Null.

It were pretty weird to see her big sis on the other side of the prosthetics if she had to be honest. She were used to seeing her sit and fickle with them, trying to make things fit the best she could for mostly the sake of her, and yet now it were suddenly her turn to go through something which had no guarantee of working, much as she prayed to every single deity she could remember by name right now that it would. Including the dark god of undeath Suusha, and his counterpart, the goddess of eternal sleep Viznay, long away in Harrowmark. Some who likely neither could, nor would hear her prayers, but she cared not about that. If that sort of logic applied, she also would have never sent a prayer to Aldraine, the demigoddess of living nightmares they had accidentally released in a small country neighboring Neighpon, nor any of the other seven or so deities she knew off the top of her head that she had either heard off, or that had varied levels of (dis)interest in them and their meddling ways.

Thoughts like this helped distract her and feel like she were doing something as time ticked away and the operation went on for hours on end, until finally, it seemed like they might be if not done, then at least willing to take a break. She weren't entirely sure, as this were new territory for her, and she didn't know if attaching the wing itself were just the first of many parts to be done here, but at the very least, there'd be a pause, if nothing else. Null had gotten bored of having to lay here and not be able to just have a nap through it, so at some point, she started to mumble something, of which only a few words came through that wasn't some sort of sound of discomfort like *Nggh* at a shock, in case one got strong. Were one known of the world outside Troy, perhaps a few songs would be recognized here, which Null would probably have liked to whistle instead, where it not because this wasn't an appropriate, nor easy time to do so.

Null felt t he wing get attached on her back, due to some more weight being felt pressuring down on her that wasn't letting go again that easily, but she had no idea what else were going on up there. For all she knew, they had scraped the idea, and instead installed a cupholder to improve her resale value.

On 1/29/2020 at 4:48 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"If you could, carefully, extend your wing out? Don't want to aggravate that sprain of yours, but first." He motioned to Illiad, who produced a sort of mirror which, if Null looked into it, would show her good side twice, reflected across her muzzle, it essence it showed her as if she were symmetrical, her natural wing shown on both sides of her body. "Look at your reflection, imagine that you are extending both wings out like you see in the image."

Hey look at that. A midget on a bench.

Urgh, she had been laying here for too long since that were all she could think off when she saw the mirror reflecting her functional side, hadn't she? Seriously, would it have killed them to put a book below her, and give Void a stick to flip the pages now and again? At least that way, she could currently be miffed about having been stopped at a good point, rather than bored out of her skull.

Peh, whatever. Look at the mirror, imagine she had two wings stretching out. So fantasize about being whole again, essentially? Just like the old days when she were small, and stood up against mirrors or any other appropriate reflective surface she could find, to imagine herself having two wings again, all spread out and ready to take her up into the air where she belonged. Just to move a few inches away, caught a good look of reality hitting her like a sledgehammer, and feel like she wanted to jump off a cliff. Not something she had done in about ten years by now, even if she had been tempted many a time. At some point, it had just felt like she were setting herself up for pain by doing this, rather than imagine things being better.

But fine, she'd do it here. Slowly mind you, as she didn't want to risk that sprain end up with something worse, like a dislodged joint, or broken wingbone.

Slowly extending her wing, she'd catch a glimpse of what might have been, had that fateful day in Troy never happened, and a bitter grimace spread on her lips. To imagine her having two good wings like this, taken away just because they were afraid what a few fallen feathers could do... Something which could mostly be handled by making sure she learned to properly preen her own feathers, but no. Cutting the tips of her flight feathers had of course been the more rational decision.

How she hoped the sands had taken them all, and that it had been slow.

When her wing were extended, she flapped it slowly a few times, and as she saw a single down fall from it, a single, empty *Hah* escaped her muzzle. Just what she wanted to see with those thoughts roaming around her head. How about coming in with a pair of pliers now they were at it, just to really slam it home.

"Uuh, you better hold me down, or I might fly right off the table."

The sarcasm were thick enough to be cut into pieces and served on bread as Null kept the motion going, and imagined what it might be like, were the reflection she looked at actually real. Quite honestly, it made her want to kick herself in the face, just like she wished to with all other pegasi she felt like were flaunting their flight at her, even if the majority rarely did. Most were either indifferent, or had some degree of sympathy for her, but she were just too bitter about it to see it most of the time.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

34 minutes ago, Blitz Boom said:

and instead installed a cupholder to improve her resale value.

(Must say, great line)

34 minutes ago, Blitz Boom said:

as Null kept the motion going, and imagined what it might be like

The silence in the room was thick, but the looks on everyone's faces were a mix of surprise and relief. The first response of anyone in the room was the Consul, who rather than speaking, adjusted the mirror to show her as she was. On the one side was her natural wing moving gently as the Changeling supported it to ensure she didn't damage it.

On the other, her new wing was moving almost perfectly in sync with her natural one, and the longer she flapped the closer to synchronicity it got.

When Null had first extended her wing, the new wing would start glowing brighter across the feathers almost in the image of a wing extending across it until it was fully glowing faintly in the room. The changeling had been about to ask her to pull her wing back in before she started flapping, and her first motion had nearly a full second delay, but as she kept it up it caught up to her, the delay now being only milliseconds if anything.

There were tears in their parent's eyes as they watched the new wing spring to life. Null would likely have to adjust to the weight of it, while it wasn't much it was more than her side had weighed in a bit.

(Null can feel free to react at this point)

The Changeling would be next to say anything, "Now, if you could pull your wings back in, carefully again. We'll want to make sure it sits comfortably, diamond after all could give you some bad cuts if they aren't properly aligned."

Provided she complied, as she retracted her natural wing the new one would follow after just under a second's delay, it seemed each new movement had a bit of a training period for the socket to interpret before it could do the action quickly. The changeling would stop her before she pulled them fully in for Vale to make a minor adjustment, loosening a joint slightly so the new wing could fully retract. Null might notice that she could feel the adjustment being made, as if Vale were massaging the joint in question. Adjustment made she was allowed to retract fully, being greeted by the new sensation of her new wing against her side. It felt lukewarm, colder than a normal wing but much warmer than metal and diamonds usually did, and it quickly warmed up to her coat with contact.

Satisfied, the Changeling set about removing the cloud table from under Null, depositing her on her legs to stand. It may have been the sedatives taking their course, but she was quite drowsy at the moment. Vale and Pen set about cleaning up the remaining tools, packing them away so they could be easily carried from the room.

The Consul set down the mirror where Null could still look at it if she wished as the Changeling restored the binding on her natural wing. The Consul spoke up, "Now, the full procedure has one more step. I know it's been quite some time since you've last flown, and as such will need some physical therapy to get you back on track, you'll need some rest, you're welcome to continue using the room you two have been until the new residence for your parents is finalized in a few days."

@Illiad Easle

On 1/31/2020 at 2:00 AM, Illiad Easle said:

On the other, her new wing was moving almost perfectly in sync with her natural one, and the longer she flapped the closer to synchronicity it got.

"...Huh."

Null didn't seem fazed at first when this were revealed. She just kept on flapping slowly away, as the wings started to synchronise a little better with every flap.

It wasn't that she had no feelings or reactions about what she were seeing though. Rather, it had mentally tripped her up so badly that she had essentially shortened out, and ended up running on autopilot while her brain tried to gather itself again.

Were it any wonder that this affected her so profoundly though? She had spent over twenty years now, without a second wing, looking at nothing but a stump that functioned as a grim reminder of her life being taken away. And then now, all of a sudden, there it were. A special, shimmering wing with diamond in the design, flapping along with her other one, and seemingly giving off an illusion of sorts that made it seem as if she had never lost a wing in the first place.

If were beautiful and life changing... And she had no idea how to respond to it. She just felt dumbfounded and numb, as she did what she were told without a hint of emotion or complaint, though she seemed somewhat reluctant to stop flapping when asked to. A guiding hoof helping her along though, and they went down without issues, and her just looking at the false one settling down.

The changeling would stop her before she pulled them fully in for Vale to make a minor adjustment, loosening a joint slightly so the new wing could fully retract. Null might notice that she could feel the adjustment being made, as if Vale were massaging the joint in question.

It felt like small jolts were going through her every time the joints were moved, and a feeling she hadn't felt from that side of her body for most of her life surged through her.

A thought roamed through her head and added to her mental struggles, as these old feelings returned. Of how this all seemed so unreal and impossible. Like this were a dream that as soon as she got her mind in check and she focused on it, would fade away, and she'd just be back to the grim, gloomy reality, where the operation would have failed, and she were still bound to the ground for the rest of her miserable life.

Yet, as this thought made her reluctant to try and get herself in check, another part of her struggled to do the oppsite. The hope that - despite her violent, negative reaction at the time - had been planted by the Consul when he first told them that he could help her with this  and were now a driving force in trying to convince her that there were nothing to be afraid of here.  For once, everything were fine, and she had gotten what had been lost for so long, just like Illiad had promised.

"Now, the full procedure has one more step. I know it's been quite some time since you've last flown, and as such will need some physical therapy to get you back on track, you'll need some rest, you're welcome to continue using the room you two have been until the new residence for your parents is finalized in a few days."

Null wasn't listening to what the Consul were saying at this point. Mainly because she were currently passed out on the floor.

She had seemed fairly okay before they started on this, yet that were born more out of stubborness than anything else, as fact of the matter remained that this had been a pretty long, hectic day. First going to the gravefield,  then to Tartarus and going through all the fightjng and emotional downs that came from that, then straight home and up here  where she were drugged up and more or less pinned down... Null were just thoroughly spent, and the distress she were in mentally as she tried to get accustomed to something good happening to her had not helped, so about halfway through what Illiad were talking about, she just went out like a light and fell sleeping to the floor.

Void would be the first over there, as she had been prepared to restrain Null, depending on how she would have reactes to all of this, as she hadn't exactly expected her to suddenly jump around with a smile as big and joyful as Pinkie Pie. Null wasn't like that, and though it caused her some distress to see her sister knocked out from a mixture of the long day, mental ups and downs, and the drugs, she would have to admit that it were likely the best outcome, all things considered. It would give them some time to help her through this under more isolated terms, with only those whom she cared for present.

"It's o-okay, she's just s-sleeping."

She rose her head and looked at the strangers who had made this possible. From the doctor to Serena and Illiad, with halfdried tears down her good eye, and a small smile that refused to flee her muzzle.

"Thank you, a-all of you. It's g-going to take her time to a-accept this, but I'll m-make sure that w-when she does, she'll b-be there for her p-physical therapy, and p-pass on what you said, C-Consul."

Null owed them all thanks for what they had done for her, but Void were likely the happiest right now here. She had seen the sister who had done everything she could for her, being in constant pain and getting progressively more and more miserable over the years, whenever she looked up or at her stump, and saw what had been taken from her. Even if it weren't the only thing that caused her this pain, Void knew that it were a substantial part of it, and it had seemingly been something that could never be restored.

And yet now, after over two decades, the loop were broken. It might take time since she needed training, and before that had to give her wing a few days of rest to make sure the sprain didn't get worse, but flight weren't a far fetched dream anymore. It were tangible, and something that were just going to take hard work. If Void had to say something that Null were particularly good at, it were hard work.

"If i-it's okay, I'd l-like to take you u-up on your o-offer, Consul. I can c-carry her to the room, if t-that's okay? I think that w-when she wakes up  she n-needs help getting t-through this, and I know her. She d-does these things b-better when it's just the t-two of us."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Those gathered seemed concerned when Null finally collapsed from exhaustion, but not too surprised. Their parents came over, and their father at least would help Void carry her sister back to the room.

The Consul nodded, "Of course. You ought to rest too, I'm honestly surprised she lasted as long as she did, given all that's happened."

The rest would continue their tasks of cleaning up the makeshift surgery room, leaving the sisters and their parents to move Null down the stairs to the room they had been allocated.

Meanwhile, in Null's head.

Soon after she had collapsed from exhaustion, she would become aware of herself in the mental room where she had first met Selena, she would likely recognize it as the mental space. Nine was there, hovering nearby as it sat in a chair shaped like a champagne glass. "You've been busy, took quite a bit of effort on my part to keep you from getting hit too badly back there. But anyway, it looks like the new wing you grew brought a visitor with it, which is why you're here at all." Nine pointed over at the diamond pony who was waiting by the door, she looked somewhat like Selena, but a bit different, she bore a few features similar to the mare in the picture that the unicorn who had summoned the Consul earlier was staring at. (When she was looking to ask the Consul about Vengeance)

When said pony had been noticed she approached Null and bowed in greeting, "I am called Silver Diamond, the construct used to build the diamond body and run the Silver Tower. I was sent by Illiad and Selena with a final gift." She extended a hoof towards Null. "If you would?"

Provided Null accepted the outstretched hoof, her vision would immediately be assaulted by a rapid sequence of memories, the process seemingly taking forever yet over in a moment at the same time. All of the memories were of flight, from basic techniques to more advanced maneuvers, as well as a smattering of basic to advanced areal combat. But one thing was common in these memories, they had all belonged to Princess Luna, the wings matched, and more than once the memory passed over a mirror or body of water clear enough to reflect the princess's visage to her. How the Consul or Selena had managed to acquire these memories was a mystery to be sure.

Once the memories had been passed, Silver put her hoof down, "These memories should help speed along your physical recovery, and make up for lost time that you could have been training. Illiad offers a message as well, 'With this gift, I am satisfied that the debt owed to you by Troy is fully repaid, you owe and are owed nothing by this nation, and are free to remain so long as it pleases you.'" Message delivered, Silver nodded and turned away. "I'm not alive in the technical sense, but I can be summoned if you need something, and I'll use the limited knowledge I have to assist."

If Null did not immediately ask anything of her, she would fade away.

Nine would be next to speak, "I hope I don't impose, but I thought I'd offer, I could move most of my mass into the new wing, fill in the diamond feathers. With practice I could maybe be more useful in the outside world, but at the very least I could make the feathers black like the other." It moved as if to shrug, "It's up to you of course, bound as I am I can't go anywhere without your approval."

@Illiad Easle

On 2/2/2020 at 5:05 AM, Illiad Easle said:

The Consul nodded, "Of course. You ought to rest too, I'm honestly surprised she lasted as long as she did, given all that's happened."

"Null is v-very stubborn. It's n-not unusual for h-her to go at s-something until she c-collapses, because s-she refuses to w-wait."

This had often been seen in things like when Null had to work on a new leg for Void, were tracking someone or something of importance, or just in general, when they were in more than usual hostile territory, and she felt like slowing down and taking a rest left them exposed for too long. It wasn't healthy, but this were thankfully when the size difference between them came in handy, as Void could just sling her sister up on her back and be on her way. Null didn't weigh much after all, and she were a strong mare. It was rather easy.

This were also the reason why - whilst she appreciated the effort from their father - she decided to just carry Null herself, after placing her up on her back. The little extra weight from the wing were negligeble, and frankly not something she bit notice in unless she really focused on it. She got more of a pressure from when Null rode her and stood up on her back to have some height advantage to work with, and even that weren't something that really bothered Void. It were akin to carrying a slightly uncomfortable hat. You got used to it fast.

As she went on towards the room that they had used a few times by now, just them and no strangers clogging their immediate area, she let out a shaky sigh of relief, freeing her of a worry that she felt like she had carried since the whole operation started, and hadn't been able to shake off.

"I can't believe it actually worked... I know you said the Consul were trustworthy, but this was a big thing, and it really hurt big sis in the past whenever she tried something, and it failed. Thank whatever gods might listen, that it seems to have worked. Now it's just trying to make her believe in it herself."

Meanwhile, inside the mind of said unconscious mare, Null were currently being faced with more weird creatures in her head. In particular, a rather weird, seemingly emotionless thing with a name that rang a bell, since Void had talked about how she had caused someone named that to be taken over by Sergeant Pain, or whatever the manipulative freak were called from a few days ago. Frankly been a lot going on, and she wasn't sure if she even remembered his name right anymore. Perhaps another time when she wasn't being thrown around like a pinball, she'd be able to just sit down, and really get a good grip on every part of this story, but whatever. Likely weren't gonna happen until she were dead, seeing how Troy were so far. Honestly wouldn't surprise her if soon as she woke up again, someone would come in, and tell them that they needed to come help with a hydra, or that there building they were in were on fire, or that they had died three years ago. Something just always seemed to happen around here to clutter up things.

Urgh, must be what the locals in Ponyville felt like sometimes back in the day...

Of course, wasn't just the crystal pony with the name of a metal pony (seriously, Troy were weird), but also Nine, who were going off about how hard it apparently were to keep her alive. Always nice to come around and hear her dazzling ray of gloomshine dimming down her day. Where were there a mental sock to shove in his muzzle when she needed it? For it being her own head, it sure felt lacking in her having a lot of control over it.

*sigh* Whatever. She'd deal with him later. Best just get this crystal replica's request over with. Sure it might be a trap, but she had gone this far. Might as well plummet right over the edge.

Felt like she had done so for sure, once she grabbed the outstretched hoof, and her brain got assaulted with flight knowledge. Down the line when she had the chance to really think on it, it were some good, appreciated stuff, but right here in the moment, it felt like she had just broken down a dam, and were being overtaken by the roaring waters just crashing over her. Minus the drowning and sensation of being bashed around the lake itself that were, so there were at least those *wonderful* experiences that wasn't part off the package right now.

It were pretty weird though, the few times she could focus on specifics between all of this, as if she didn't know better, it looked like... Hay, it Were, Princess Luna, reflected on various surfaces in these memories. So now she had either overtaken or gotten a copy of some of the mind of a darn Princess? How in the world had they even gotten this in the first place? Weren't she supposed to not work with Troy out of loyalty to her sister? And yet, Serena and the Silver sliver had her memories?

"These memories should help speed along your physical recovery, and make up for lost time that you could have been training. Illiad offers a message as well, 'With this gift, I am satisfied that the debt owed to you by Troy is fully repaid, you owe and are owed nothing by this nation, and are free to remain so long as it pleases you.'" Message delivered, Silver nodded and turned away. "I'm not alive in the technical sense, but I can be summoned if you need something, and I'll use the limited knowledge I have to assist."

"...Okay, one thing at a time here. I'll get back to you and where the hay you nicked these memories from another time. Nine?"

She looked around as the pony faded out, just as he started to speak up himself. So great, now she had the stuff he said before to deal with, along with this. Just amazing...

"I hope I don't impose, but I thought I'd offer, I could move most of my mass into the new wing, fill in the diamond feathers. With practice I could maybe be more useful in the outside world, but at the very least I could make the feathers black like the other." It moved as if to shrug, "It's up to you of course, bound as I am I can't go anywhere without your approval."

"Fine, fine, go ahead, but the first time I get an inkling you're trying to do something, I'm putting you on whatever the mental equivalent of toilet duty is. Soon as I figure out what that is.

And for the record, I were doing pretty well back at the gates, bucko. I would've died years ago if a crazy guy with a bat could get the better of me, and I didn't have you in here back then. You mind filling me in on what you think you did there? And on this whole wing thing, since I'm still not convinced this whole mess is real. Ain't seen any definitive proof of anything yet."

Sure, Nine had lied and tried to get her killed several times apparently, but who else had she to ask insight from right now? Void? She loved her sister, but Void wouldn't know the tech on this any better than her, and as such, couldn't say if the whole thing wasn't just a decoration of sorts, rather than anything tangible, whilst Nine apparently had some sort of insight into certain things.

Also, she were in her own head right now and the only other one she could technically ask, were a lifeless construct that had just bashed the memories of a millennia old alicorn into her head, and were working for a part of the Consul's inner circle. It wasn't exactly the dream team, so she had to work with what she got, and then see if Nine had some words of encouragement, or perhaps discouragement, if he went on to say this were a hoax.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

[Void]

35 minutes ago, Blitz Boom said:

"I can't believe it actually worked... I know you said the Consul were trustworthy, but this was a big thing

Their father chuckled as they reached their room, "One of the most votable things about the Consul is that he rarely ever makes a promise he doesn't intend on keeping. So I'm not surprised that this has already worked out as well as it has. We'll leave you two to rest, we've got work to do at the hospital, but you're welcome to come visit whenever you're up to it." With that they would leave Void to join Null in resting from their rather extensive adventure, provided she didn't need anything else from them that is.

[Null]

38 minutes ago, Blitz Boom said:

You mind filling me in on what you think you did there?

Nine shifted about in its seat, "At the very least  kept you moving, did quite a bit to dull the pain. You might have noticed having some sharper reflexes than usual, I could see their attacks coming long before you did and helped your natural responses along for better results. You might have broken your wing had I not been doing what little I could." While his words were somewhat self aggrandizing his tone was a bit more subdued, like one would respond with when being scolded by a teacher.

42 minutes ago, Blitz Boom said:

And on this whole wing thing, since I'm still not convinced this whole mess is real. Ain't seen any definitive proof of anything yet.

Nine perked up a bit though, "I was talking to Silver before you got yourself here, and she being here at all is quite the proof of concept, combined with you being able to move the wings and charge the feathers. From what I've gathered, each wing has been carved with a flight rune, and is charged by the same conduits you normal wing uses to generate flight, so in theory you should be able to fly fully so long as you have at least half of the feathers attached, past that you'll have difficulty. But theory only goes so far, we won't know for sure until you're well enough to try flying. I would imagine lack of regular exercise with your other wing would leave it a bit weaker than normal, but the therapy should help with that."

Given it had permission to leave a bit, its tendrils which had previously been idly wrapped around the stem of the chair extended through the floor of the room. "There, black wing now. If you don't like it after you've seen it just think at me and I'll pull out of it."

[Void]

Provided she was still awake and if she were watching Null she'd be able to watch. The glow of the diamond in the new wing began to change, starting at the base of the feathers and working down like ink being poured into water the feathers went from clear to an obsidian color. The edges still glowed white, but the difference in color was clear. 

@Illiad Easle

On 2/4/2020 at 12:12 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"At the very least  kept you moving, did quite a bit to dull the pain. You might have noticed having some sharper reflexes than usual, I could see their attacks coming long before you did and helped your natural responses along for better results. You might have broken your wing had I not been doing what little I could."

Null shrugged at this list of things from Nine.

"Guess I did feel a little luckier than usual there. Thanks for the power up."

It were a bit of a begrudging admittance of him having had some sort of impact on things, as in retrospect, it had gone well an awful lotta times back then, considering the sort of situations they had been through. Usually in that case, she wouldn't be getting that lucky, and should have gotten away with something broken. Yet here she were, with nothing but a sprained wing, which would get better pretty soon. At least compared to an actual broken one, which as she couldn't get magical medication, would have taken months to naturally heal. Math seemed a bit off there, didn't it? Unless that were, someone had gone in and meddled in her affairs, which whilst she normally didn't like, did help her for a change, so she'd begrudgingly accept and be thankful for the help.

Nine perked up a bit though, "I was talking to Silver before you got yourself here, and she being here at all is quite the proof of concept, combined with you being able to move the wings and charge the feathers. From what I've gathered, each wing has been carved with a flight rune, and is charged by the same conduits you normal wing uses to generate flight, so in theory you should be able to fly fully so long as you have at least half of the feathers attached, past that you'll have difficulty. But theory only goes so far, we won't know for sure until you're well enough to try flying. I would imagine lack of regular exercise with your other wing would leave it a bit weaker than normal, but the therapy should help with that."

Given it had permission to leave a bit, its tendrils which had previously been idly wrapped around the stem of the chair extended through the floor of the room. "There, black wing now. If you don't like it after you've seen it just think at me and I'll pull out of it."

So tendrils through the floor. Either this were gonna color her wings, or make her spine explode. Guess she'd figure out if she woke up and... That's it, basically. If she woke up, it were probably not something fatal for Nine to try an escape plan again.

"I'm still not sure I believe it. Sure that weirdo that kept hitting on my sister had crafted himself a pair of wings, but this weren't the same. It wasn't metallic, and it had some sort of magic running through it. Magic and I don't work like that.

Peh, not usually anyway."

She had a seat on the floor and looked up at Nine, irritated. A pretty normal state for her, but it wasn't because of him that this passed her features right now. Rather, it were the thoughts of the facility, and the varied magical objects that had actually worked in her presence both there, and then later on in Troy, along with the weird metal from Tartarus that whilst weaker, still seemed to have some sort of effect around her.

It were all throwing a big monkey wrench in how things usually worked, and it made her doubtful what she could even trust anymore, when it came to these sorts of things, and right now, she really didn't need more things flowing around her dang head. It were already getting to be a crowded space, and not just because she now had two passengers driving around with her, though that were something worth keeping in mind too. Her ever increasing walk towards becoming Legion, or a sort of frat house, just filled with spirits instead of foolish fillies and colts.

"This is all a big freaking mess... Dunno what to trust, dunno what's real, and I'm either picking up more and more passengers here, or are going full on schizophrenic.

Don't get me wrong, I want this to be real. You wouldn't believe how much it hurt not being able to fly as a pegasus, and just seeing all those happy, carefree beings around you flutter away like they own the darn place... It drives you mad. Desperate even, and I've done my fair share of crazy things in some vague hope that things would change. Never did.

I'm getting tired of putting hope in things that just ends up being all smoke and mirrors... And this right here just doesn't seem any different, despite some passenger tagging along, if she's even real. For all I know, I've finally gone off to the deep end and this is just a great big hallucination."

Provided she was still awake and if she were watching Null she'd be able to watch. The glow of the diamond in the new wing began to change, starting at the base of the feathers and working down like ink being poured into water the feathers went from clear to an obsidian color. The edges still glowed white, but the difference in color was clear. 

Void were starting to get ready to sleep, curled around Void like a dog with it's puppies, when she noticed the change in the wing. It was nothing that really got to her though, since for all she know, this were meant to happen. It were just a bit delayed since the wing were setting in, and it were just a cosmetic overlay it looked like. Null didn't look like she were in pain or anything, so it didn't look negative at least.

*yawn* Besides, this might make it easier for her big sis to accept the new wing. It would look more right.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

7 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"Guess I did feel a little luckier than usual there. Thanks for the power up."

Nine shifted happily at being praised.

7 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

I'm getting tired of putting hope in things that just ends up being all smoke and mirrors... And this right here just doesn't seem any different, despite some passenger tagging along, if she's even real. For all I know, I've finally gone off to the deep end and this is just a great big hallucination."

Nine would speak up, "Well, I suppose it wouldn't mean much, coming from what might be a voice inside your head, but as far as I'm aware you're doing alright mentally, most of the ponies I've seen wouldn't be able to tolerate half the stuff you've been through so far. Besides, I've got a feeling that, while we're not completely out of the woods yet, we've found a nice dell to rest in for the moment." Nine would motion to the door, "Speaking of, you should go rest mentally. I'll keep any additional voices to a minimum."

(With practice Null will be able to call up this room while resting instead of dreaming, or by being pulled in by either Nine or Silver. If she goes through the door she'll go to sleep.)

(Now that the final scene it over, we experience the transition to the third act.)

Sure enough, despite the momentous announcement by the Consul, the next few days of their recovery were somewhat uneventful. There would be no complications with Null's eye healing up, and she'd be able to access a proper forge to make a new eye for herself, and as many others as she wished given the materials she had brought over from Deltrot and supplies being given her as payment once those ran out.

Congestion within the city made a sharp decline over the following week as many took their shacks and moved them outside the damaged walls, a temporary wall being erected further out to enclose the expansion.

A group of pegasi and griffons brought a giant cloud collection in from the east, as well as news that a number of Equestrian refugees had been taking refuge in South Port, and would be making their way up once the route had been cleared of spawn.

The convoy from Deltrot arrived in Troy a few days later, they had lost a few members, but thanks to the closing of the gates the vast majority of them not only made it to Troy, but were able to have temporary living space both within and without the walls while a group began forming for a return trip, plans were made to rebuild Deltrot to house those who wouldn't comfortably fit in Troy.

Their parents were officially moved to their new dwelling, three bedrooms, and the sisters were welcome to officially move in with them if they desired.

Null's wing healed up nicely, and with regular exercise via her preliminary physical therapy there was no longer any delay between her thoughts and her new wing moving even independently of her natural wing.

(The first scene of the new arc will be Null's first flight practice, about two and a half weeks after the scene before the transition)

Null's official flight instructors were none other than the pegasi who had flown the balloon for their Tartarus mission, as well as their transport out of Deltrot, who would introduce themselves as Left and Right.

"Don't worry about any other name"

"It doesn't much matter to us"

"Wing, Over, Out, we'll know."

Her flight training was to take place in the old sports arena, situated a short walk out from the city. It had been partially overtaken by the dunes, but the track was mostly clear of sand.

"We'll start with some stretches"

"Don't want another injury after all"

"Not so soon after the last one."

(Yes, they're alternating speaking.)

@Illiad Easle

It had been a rather busy time for both Null and Void, after they had laid down to rest.

After she eventually woke up, Null had been reluctant to believe anything were happening for real, soon as she saw the wing, and had started to become a little irritatingly irrational to listen to, which resulted in a minor scuffle between the sisters, along with some shouting matches as Void finally got through Null's head that what had happened were real, she hadn't gone crazy, and everything had worked out like it should. Then, Void had made her go around and apologize to those in the nearby rooms who might have heard them yell a few times. Something which Null only did begrudgingly, but Void wanted this to be a fresh start for them, so that meant acting like rational ponies and think of their neighbors, rather than make enemies and be ready to leave the area again on their endless travels. That time were over now, and if she had to force Null into at least trying to get along with others, she felt like she had to try.

They continued to have some minor verbal fights now and again over the next few days, as Null were reluctant to keep her real wing calm to let it heal up, rather than try and see if these wings worked right away, which at times lead to a few choice words in both directions. Only when they were around their parents did Null not try or say anything about this, though the irritation over this were still pretty visible, regardless of how much Null refused to start anything around their father and continuously more pregnant mother. Might be somewhat silly, but she were afraid that she'd do or say something that'd cause a chain reaction that might lead to the little one getting hurt, and she couldn't risk doing that to them. Let them raise at least one foal who wasn't damaged in some sort of way.

She also used this as an excuse to not bring up the deal with Vengeance yet, along with her having a lot to think about when it came to the wing, and trying to acclimate to the thought that she might actually be able to fly again now, long as she put in some elbow grease. She were still pessimistic about a lot of things, with this included, but when she thought of actually getting back up there as now being something in reach, she felt empty somehow. As if she had forgotten what it were like to actually be happy and carefree, even if a spout of joy had surely come when they heard that Celestia would be okay, along with at least some of the Equestrian citizens.

Another change would be that the two of them would end up getting to work again not long after the operation, with Void using the tools she had salvaged, as well as a spot to work from and a minor, yet functional forge, to begin her glass work. She wouldn't get much attention at first, but after she had crafted herself a beautiful replica eye and gotten it in her skull instead of that replacement one from the hospital, it started to catch a few beings interest. Then those came around to see if she could help them, and when she could, they'd then tell a few others, and well, word spread. Soon enough, she'd cycle through the materials she were given as payment rather rapidly, as the ones in need of a good replica eye or other glass implement of sorts, came to her. She were still far from worldwide famous or the like, but given enough time, she may end up being able to make herself a proper living through varied glass work jobs, not limited to eyes or the like. Something which brought an ever increasing smile to her face as the days went by.

As for Null... Well, she were quite busy too. After she had seen how Void were doing, she would salvage what pieces of wood and wire she could get her hooves on that had more or less been discarded, managed to get a knife, and then started to do what she did best: Carving. She hadn't any numbers of the amount of folks who needed a new leg or something else carved out (the limbs being the primary function for now) but it were enough to at least get her a bit more proper pieces of wood to use for this as time went on, and keep herself relatively busy. Helped distract from things, and pass the time as the healing went on, even if she weren't a bundle of smiles like Void were.

Still, she tried to be cautiously nice, and as time went on and she weren't getting openly laughed at or the like, she'd be more neutral and try to act sort of nice. She weren't yelling or threatening at least, and did act mostly respectful, if a little blunt at times.

This were what most of their time went with between visiting and eventually moving in with their parents, though Void were clear that she wanted to eventually be able to find her own place, as to not take the space needed for when the little one were born, unless their mother would like her around to help. She didn't have a lot of experiences foalsitting, but Void were a kind soul. She'd try her best, and learn what she could in advantage if it were.

Null said she'd help out too, yet were more evasive and didn't bring it up again, which caught Void with some degree of worry. Null dismissed the notion that something were wrong, yet her thoughts said otherwise, as she were thinking about the likelihood of her actually staying in this town in the long run, and it did not look good. Much as she'd like to be there for her family, the fact that she were contemplating leaving them for this crusade, made her feel uneasy about promising too much just yet, while she had so much to think about.

On 2/6/2020 at 5:50 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Null's official flight instructors were none other than the pegasi who had flown the balloon for their Tartarus mission, as well as their transport out of Deltrot, who would introduce themselves as Left and Right.

This were a day that Null had looked forward too, and seeing some familiar faces during that weren't too bad. Their behavior though, were disturbing. They were doing the whole *mind meld* thing that some twins for whatever reason tended to have, along with tormented folks, really close couples, and of course, those in hiveminds. With these two, she'd put her bet on them being twins, though whatever the case, it were still creepy.

"Swell, I'm getting trained by pod people."

Her sister snickered a little as she referenced an old movie that she had seen with Void from underneath the rafters of some outdoor theater once. It weren't too bad really, though she could've done without the gum stuck beneath the seats, which then got stuck in her mane. Real annoying stuff to get out when you didn't have a jar of peanut butter near you, though even if she had, it likely wouldn't have been used for that. Weren't smart to waste food in their position.

"Be nice big sis, p-please."

The days of settling in were helping on Void's stutter, as she were beginning to feel more relaxed and comfortable on a day to day basis, though it weren't gone yet. There were still quite some way to go on that account.

"I'm just saying, the back and forth talk? It's creepy. Reminds me of aggressive hiveminds. Some real nasty business."

Even if she did talk a big deal here, Null were doing as told, and stretched her wings out some. She had been doing so for a few days now, ever since she were certain that her real wing were okay. She even asked her dad to give her a hooves up on this, just in case, though she hadn't gotten anywhere regardless, even if she had tried to flap a little here and there when she had time. The wings were moving in sync now, so that were good, and did bring her some degree of comfort she supposed, but she were still stuck on the ground. It wasn't right.

So she'd flap 'em out, and stretch them as far she could, whilst feeling the wind going through them. A sensation that were still weird, seeing how she had gotten so used to feeling nothing on one side.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Over the course of her efforts Void had essentially become the owner of the forge, the previous forge master joining up in the group to go back to Deltrot, leaving her and her sister to build and sell their wares. They were two of maybe five creatures making false limbs of high quality, many of their customers were bringing in their old limbs to be improved and refined by the sisters, many very grateful to no longer have to make due with their makeshift limbs. They didn't get paid too much, but over the two weeks they had gained a respectable sum of various currencies.

4 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"Swell, I'm getting trained by pod people."

The brothers even rolled their eyes in sync.

"Not the first time,"

"Wasn't funny then either."

The brothers watched her stretches for a bit before demonstrating some more complicated stretches for her to use, satisfied with her preparation they motioned for her to follow them up to a glide platform. "We'll start with gliding"

"Not to be defeatist, but it's the quickest way"

"To see if this will work at all"

"We'll catch you regardless."

The platform wasn't very high, maybe two meters to the ground, the wind was at her back and there was enough space on the platform to get a running start before jumping off the platform.

(Provided she does that)

Within her head, a few things would happen as she approached the edge of the platform, most obvious would be her vision being faintly overlaid by one of the memories she had been given, one of a basic glide over a courtyard. She wouldn't have to exert much thought about what to do, the memory feeding the muscle memory to angle her wings for an optimal glide.

Provided she remembered to extend her wings before jumping off.

If she didn't freak out or try anything fancy, she'd gently glide to the ground about ten meters away.

@Illiad Easle

On 2/8/2020 at 4:23 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Over the course of her efforts Void had essentially become the owner of the forge, the previous forge master joining up in the group to go back to Deltrot, leaving her and her sister to build and sell their wares. They were two of maybe five creatures making false limbs of high quality, many of their customers were bringing in their old limbs to be improved and refined by the sisters, many very grateful to no longer have to make due with their makeshift limbs. They didn't get paid too much, but over the two weeks they had gained a respectable sum of various currencies

Seeing as a lot of varied currency were more or less worthless these days, due to the whole *world ending* thing, it didn't mean a whole lot to have gotten these right off the bat, but they had kept what they got, and used what were useful in the town to get a few things here and there. It more or less just about ran around with the materials they needed to purchase (mainly wood, fishing wire, proper sand, and gears, due to a so far successful prototype limb Null worked on for heavier clientele), with a small stack of things with little to no value sitting at the side, but it were fine. The important part - as Void continuously said as she skillfully went about her business at the forge - were that they were helping others to feel better after what happened to them, as well as gaining a good reputation with the others living in town. Once the economy would at some point stabilize and the world get back to something more normal, they could always focus on making a proper living out of this.

The fact that Void were handed over the forge eventually certainly made her feel somewhat hopeful that this could become something she could do for the rest of her life, without having to run and live as essentially a hobo, but... There were still others who could make limbs and eyes. With the competition, they'd eventually have to diversify what to do, and she wasn't sure how well she'd do with that, seeing as it were mainly eyes she had dealt with in her time. Hopefully it would be okay though. She'd really enjoy having this kind of stability in her life.

"Not the first time,"

"Wasn't funny then either."

Null could poke a few choice words at this, but why bother? It had been said, they snarked back, they were on even grounds. Just move past it instead of getting into a snark-off, or whatever you'd call that sort of verbal competition. Besides, like they had said, it wasn't funny. It was just a side remark about how weird it were, which apparently, others had also mentioned to a point where it were getting irritating for them. Must mean they had been at this sort of thing for a long time.

"We'll start with gliding"

"Not to be defeatist, but it's the quickest way"

"To see if this will work at all"

"We'll catch you regardless."

On this occasion, she were close to saying something regarding how the fastest way would be to just boot her over a cliff time and time again until her nature took over, or she broke her wings again. Whichever came first. Though she didn't want to encourage these two to run her through a trial by fire situation, just because her own first impression were to just get the boot and see if the landing stuck. Everything considered, they might well have taken her up on this and lobbed her over the first chance they got.

The platform they send her on didn't seem like as steep a fall as a cliff would be either, though it might sorta work as a soft trial thing.

Wait, why were she still thinking about that? It were over, time to get on with it, which in this situation meant trying to get a running start and then either glide, or get a face full of sand. Seemed simple enough.

If she didn't freak out or try anything fancy, she'd gently glide to the ground about ten meters away.

*Fwomp*

It gave off a rather amusing, yet muffled sound as Null crumbled at the edge of the platform and tumbled down unto the sands beneath the platform as gracefully as a potato.

"Big sis! Are you o-okay!?"

Void came running over, afraid the fall might have done something, and wondering what had happened in general. It had looked like Null were running and angling things fine, and then all of a sudden, she had cringed with wide open eyes, stumbled over her own hooves, and messed up her wing placement to a point where there weren't a chance she could get wind under them. Crazy as it sounded, Void were worried that perhaps Null had suffered some sort of stroke or something just as she had to go over the platform, and her heart were racing as she made her way over there to see Null had landed clumsily on her stomach, with her face planted well into the sand.

Shed' quickly pull up her sister, who thankfully seemed unharmed and with nothing broken as she spat out some sand that had spread around her muzzle. She'd need to wash her muzzle out later to get it all out, and likely use some thread too to clean the coarse substance completely out, but she seemed fine at least.

And then... She started to talk.

What followed were best described as roughly a solid minute of words not meant for polite conversation, which mostly seemed to harshly call out some sort of memory that had bashed into her head just at the finish line, and had royally messed up her focus. Along with of course, some rather colorful words about the memories themselves, though it were somewhat muffled, due to Void hastily putting her leg in front of Null's muzzle, to keep the worst of it down.

She'd tire out at around the 50 second mark. at which point Void would take her leg away from the front of her muzzle put her down on the ground again.

"So... Bad memories?"

"Foreign memories. Right at the golden point.

Urgh, it tastes like I ate a golem..."

She'd spit out a bit of sand, but could just feel the amount still stuck in there. What a great start to flight training this were.

"Perhaps we should t-take a break and get you some w-"

"A little bump ain't keeping me down."

Unless there were any objections, she'd go right back to the start of the runway (potentially with some mean looks towards the instructors, in case they laughed at her previous attempt) and would try again. Provided she weren't assaulted by another memory at the worst possible time, and with what she now had to work with, she should be able to glide as intended, though with her eyes closed, as she were expecting to crash again and didn't want her eyes to fill up with sand to complete the bad feeling in her face.

(the following only happens if she is not stopped, or some other memory messes her up)

A few meters in, she'd be able to open her eyes again, and be stunned by what she saw. Herself, above the ground, not crashing like a duck shot out of the sky. She could even feel some wind blow through her feathers on both the false and real wing.

The shock would cause her to flail a small amount as her instinct still wasn't fine tuned entirely, and she fell down a little clumsily, but managed to get her wings angled correctly again a little before hitting the ground. All in all, she wouldn't be smashed a second time, and the trip would be around five meters forth, but it were five meters of gliding more than she had tried in the past two and a half decades, roughly. A massive accomplishment.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

6 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

*Fwomp*

The brothers jumped off the platform as soon as Null collapsed, but were beaten to her by Void, nonetheless their expressions were those of concern, likely genuine.

They did not object to Null's determination to try again.

Within her head, Nine spoke up, "Sorry about that, Silver said it might help. I'll subdue them in the future."

She was able to make her glide quite successfully, and was greeted with applause from the brothers when she touched down.

"Very good, despite how long it's been"

"You clearly haven't lost too much"

"We'll have you do it a couple more times"

"Then add in some glide extension techniques"

"Before we clear you for takeoff."

Provided Null kept at it, her subsequent glides would get smoother, Nine offering verbal suggestions rather than let Silver show relevant memories.

Once she was able to glide the full ten meters the brothers would encourage her to start with some gentle flaps to extend her glide and exercise her wings. Despite her small size it would take some practice before she would have the wing strength to lift herself vertically in flight, but she was already off to a great start.

@Illiad Easle

On 2/9/2020 at 9:09 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Within her head, Nine spoke up, "Sorry about that, Silver said it might help. I'll subdue them in the future."

"Thank you for that. I don't wanna learn whatever they're tossing at me one crash at a time."

This were a rather genuine thank you that she thought back towards Nine, as he took over and halted the visions from just assaulting her again. It might've made logical sense to Silver to do this, but just hammering that in there wasn't a help, it was a distraction, and when trying to glide with rather precise movements here, the distraction weren't all that good. That could come once she got all of this stuff into muscle memory, and could deal with more things at once.

She was able to make her glide quite successfully, and was greeted with applause from the brothers when she touched down.

Having this filter certainly helped the second attempt, and though there were a bit of a clumsy phase as she tried that second time, it still worked. She were actually gliding! And Nine's method of coaching her through this were a fine help for sure. Not too overtaking, yet provided something to keep in mind as things went on with more of a tutor angle, rather than her just being flooded with info, then pushed off to see if it stuck. Not exactly what had went on sure, but it felt like it.

When she touched the ground Null stood visibly stunned and looked between the ground and her wings, her jaw clenched to stop it from dropping, though her big, surprised eyes made it impossible not to tell what went through the small pegasi's head. Just complete surprise that this had actually worked, and that she were flying! Well, gliding technically, but if these wings could have her glide, then flight had to be possible too, right? Perhaps... Perhaps this were all actually going to work out after all?

"Very good, despite how long it's been"

"You clearly haven't lost too much"

"We'll have you do it a couple more times"

"Then add in some glide extension techniques"

"Before we clear you for takeoff."

They didn't get to finish before Null had run back to the ramp and jumped off again, gliding away, over them, and landing at the intended spot, this time without stumbling over herself in mid air again.

"Please bear with her, o-okay? She have to try again and see if she can't do better on her own first. And well... I d-don't want to stop her from enjoying herself. It's been a long time."

Void smiled as she saw Null run back for a third one, this time speeding up to see if she could glide longer. And all the while, between Null running and gliding along, a small, foalish smile had actually managed to creep upon her sisters face. Not like the one she had when she heard that Equestria still had their princess, even if it would take some years for her to return. No, she had surely been happy there, but this time? It were like the time they had escaped the siren brothers area. That small glimmer of hope starting to take root and blossom... It were something special

Now it were just to help and support her as she learned to actually fly, and perhaps then finally, that weight could fall from her shoulders. Maybe she'd even be able to find that rock in her life, where no matter how grim the day were, she could always cling to that and find something good in it. Gods knew she needed it badly, to not end in a situation like she had just when they had been told that Equestria were gone.

After stumbling a bit on the landing on this last one, but otherwise getting through it well, Null would come running over to them now, and look up with big eyes at the two instructors, as if she were a hyped up bunny on a sugar rush. Considering her adrenaline levels right now, that wasn't far off being a fairly accurate description.

She'd open start pushing for them to take it to the next step after that, repeating the process every time she had made a successful glide, whilst at the same time, running right back to start over on the current lesson if she failed it, with a determination and tenacity edging on insanity. They'd likely have to tell her to stop and take a break at some point, and when talking didn't work, rely on Void to get a grip on her. Provided that they wouldn't just encourage this and keep feeding her new things to try for an extended period of time, to take advantage of her intense push to get further and further. She might not be able to fly today, but she'd keep trying now that they had pushed her a few steps down the road, until the day came when it would finally come to pass.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The brothers were initially hesitant at Null's enthusiasm, but with a silent understanding between them they quickly got up to training at Null's speed. After a few good glides from the platform they had her move up to a series of higher platforms, until they were gliding along side her coming down from the wall of the arena to teach her to do gentle and sharp turns, weaving around the platforms in a sort of slalom. Carrying her back up themselves rather than forcing her to run all the way back up the stairs, provided she allowed them to.

Satisfied with her ability to glide they directed her back to the highest platform,

"Now we're going to do something different"

"But still simple, Diving."

"It's like falling, but with style!"

"And in a way that ensures you don't crash"

"We'll demonstrate a simple one for you"

"No need to get fancy yet"

"Just a swooping dive"

"Keeps the wings out in case of error."

One of the brothers would demonstrate the dive, jumping off the platform with wings extended, but pointed downward so as to fall mostly unimpeded, then he gradually angled them back up, changing his course throughout the fall to end level with the ground.

Slend would speak up in her head, "Once you get that down, Silver has a few more specialized dives, apparently Luna was fond of the pointed spiral dive, but I wouldn't recommend that one until you've got the others practiced."

Once she had practiced the dive, one brother on the ground to intercept her if she was ever at risk of hitting the ground too hard, they'd demonstrate a steeper dive, ones involving her partially retracting her wings to gain speed, then a drop, which involved her pulling her wings in fully, to open them as she was falling to slow her decent vertically.

Once she had finally tired herself out the brothers would obligate her to stop practicing for the day.

"You don't want to strain yourself now"

"Don't want to undo all the work today"

"Could set you back another week or two"

"We'll start again tomorrow,"

"Rest up, get your joints massaged"

"Meet us on the city wall at sunset"

"South side, don't be late."

Lessons concluded, they'd walk the sisters back to the city, open to any questions they might have.

Edited by Illiad Easle
Fixed user tag