Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Deep Science 1x1 with Blitz Boom

Illiad Easle

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

6 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"I... I just thought of something else. It's... It's nothing. S-Shut up..."

Arcade let out a mirthful snort, "I can wait, I'll stay until you tell me to leave, and no sooner. I'll help how I can, but if I don't know what's hurting you, I can't make it stop."

He was a bit surprised at her reciprocation, but he did not move to stop her.

"I think he already knows, he just wants to hear you say it." Nine was definitely teasing her at this point.

(Troy)

Vale was surprised that Void had decided to adopt a pet, "Oh! I, I suppose that simplifies things for later then." She showed a bit of discomfort at the Cackler being on the same side of the enclosure as herself, shown mostly by her electing to stand on the opposite side of Void from wherever the Cackler was when they eventually resumed their travels. If the Cackler ever jumped over to her she would freeze until it was removed.

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 1/13/2021 at 5:22 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"I think he already knows, he just wants to hear you say it."

"Stop teasing me, when I don't know how I feel!"

Null's hooves went right in front of her muzzle as she said this, staggered back, mortified at what she had just said. This was not supposed to be outside speak. She were supposed to say this in her head, then telling Nine to shut up, before she found some way to punch him in the face. Even if it required her to hit herself.

Instead, in the middle of this turmoil, she had ended up using her outside voice. Right in front of Arcade.

"I... Y-You didn't... I m-mean..."

There wasn't any taking this back, or pretend she hadn't said something. She might not have shouted, but her words had been clearly spoken, so unless he had passed out, or gone momentarily deaf, the cat was out of the bag. Thanks a lot, Nine!

How was she supposed to deal with this? She felt like crawling into a tiny hole, and stay there until she burst into flames from pure embarrassment. But... How would that help? He'd still be here. He would have still heard every word she just said. And there weren't really another meaning one could take from this, other than the obvious one.

Maybe she should just stop trying to listen to her paranoia, and just confront this? Wasn't like she had anything to lose right now. Yes, she'd just open her muzzle, and tell him that she were conflicted because she had a weird feeling right now, and she didn't know exactly what it was, but she think she might like him.

Deep breath. Raise your head, and just... Do it.

"..."

She opened her muzzle, but no word managed to exit her throat. Just air, as the balloon that contained the remnants of her confidence, had the air fart out of it.

Gods. And she thought she could never wish for death more, than she had in the desert...

(Troy)

Lacuna almost went and crawled unto Vale, out of curiosity, but he were distracted by the sudden appearance of a little string with a wooden band, that got strapped to his tail. He knew what it meant, as he had seen others go away too, with this, and not return right away. Frankly, he were a happy little one, as could be heard as he uttered their iconic, cackling laugh, and went to sit on top of Void's head instead of just her shoulder. Only for a few seconds though, as he saw someone with a pygmy ghost vulture wander close by, and decided to crawl into her bandanna instead. He didn't want to become food.

And as for food, the shopping went fast and easy. They got what they came for without fuss - including what they needed for dinner - and would soon be on their way. They just had to swoop by Void's workshop to pick something up for the dinner, and they would return to the hideout.

Void gulped down, as she grabbed hold in the handle. Hopefully this meeting between them, and Lacuna would go well. They could use the interaction, as much as she could use a companion, to not have her life filled with unfortunate silence. She were hoping it'd help her sleep better. Likely would, as she already felt better, having him with her.

After gulping, she'd open the door, and wander in. The foals would likely have questions due to her bulging saddlebags, and questions to when they'd start making food, and who could do what. Though they may also be curious of the lizard she now carried on her shoulder, eating a piece of mango.

"Hey everyone. We're back. I h-hope everything have gone well here?

We brought food, and we'll get to that in a moment, but uhm... I-I'd like you to meet someone first. This is Lacuna. He's a Scaled Cackler. Like you can see on the mosaics."

He'd look around on them, whilst munching his treat, with a happy look on his face. No need for him to worry about these foals yet, right?

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

10 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"I... Y-You didn't... I m-mean..."

Arcade had been quite surprised and taken aback by Null's outburst, quickly releasing her from his embrace as she backed away.

He had a worried, and slightly sad expression as she tried to recover, and when she failed to say anything he sighed and got off the bed, "I'll leave you alone then. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so forward."

He went for the door, pausing only for a moment as he crossed the threshold, "Goodnight, Event." Then he would depart without another word, not even stopping if Null called out to him, as unlikely as that was.

Nine had the sense to not push the issue, retreating into whatever gap in her psyche that he typically hid himself in.

(Troy)

The young ponies and Pen were sitting in a loose circle when Void and Vale returned, they had been occupying themselves by passing a pair of balls around between them for the two foals to chase after. They all looked up when Void and Vale came in, the foals finally capturing the balls they had been chasing with squeals of glee.

"Hey everyone. We're back. I h-hope everything have gone well here?

We brought food, and we'll get to that in a moment, but uhm... I-I'd like you to meet someone first. This is Lacuna. He's a Scaled Cackler. Like you can see on the mosaics."

The foals were occupied with their toys, but the others got up to see what Void had brought.

"He's... smaller than in the picture. Is he a baby cackler?" Toupé asked

Ardee also seemed interested, "I think we saw some of these when we were coming here..."

"They're much cuter up close," Teal seemed a big fan already.

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 1/15/2021 at 6:27 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"I'll leave you alone then. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so forward."

He went for the door, pausing only for a moment as he crossed the threshold, "Goodnight, Event." Then he would depart without another word, not even stopping if Null called out to him, as unlikely as that was.

Null didn't call out for him. However, she didn't let him just leave either. Arcade had not gotten down more than a meter or so down the hall, before her door opened up, and she rushed over, and grabbed him. Without a word, she'd force him to turn around, and when he were face to face with her, he'd have a brief moment to see her face. Gaze upon the redness of her cheeks, which had yet to reduce, and a conflicted look in her eyes, and on her face.

Yet it were doubtful he'd have the chance to think much, or even try to respond, before she'd force his head down some, and kiss him. A brief encounter of lips, with her eyes closed shut. Then, as suddenly as it had begun, it would end. Null would push him away, and she'd rush back to her room, where she'd close the door, and sit in front of it, that he may not enter. Unless it were one who opened outward, in which case, she couldn't really do something about it.

She hadn't been thinking as she did this. It were a spur of the moment thing that just happened, and were she left alone, she'd spend most of the night sat where she were, and try to get herself sorted. Her thoughts and emotions were in complete chaos about Arcade. Though it seemed hard for her to deny now that she liked him, at least some. Right? After what she had done... But then, what if she still overthought this? Or what if he actually liked her, once he'd learn the truth? What about her mission? Hay. What about being around her at all? Sure he might have seemed to imply things now, but he might not think longer, and she were just some confused idiot, who put too much thought into things.

This sort of thing would go on all night, with her rolling between questioning herself, Arcade, trying to calm herself, and honestly, belittling herself quite a bit, since she didn't think that anyone would like her. Nor did she think that she deserved it. Not with all that she had done.

No matter the time anyone would come looking for her, she'd sit there at the door. had it been over four hours, she would have finally tired herself out, and have some... Unfamiliar dreams.

If Arcade came looking for her early on, she'd just sit and listen, in case he had something to say, or be easy to drag around. She wouldn't resist, as she had enough to deal with, struggling with herself right now.

Best Nine kept shut throughout this entire thing really, and remained in his space within. If he showed up, she wouldn't process this whole thing as much as falling back on feeble anger, and mentally lash out towards him. When he wasn't there, she didn't have someone else to shout blame at as easily.

(Troy)

On 1/15/2021 at 6:27 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"He's... smaller than in the picture. Is he a baby cackler?" Toupé asked

Ardee also seemed interested, "I think we saw some of these when we were coming here..."

"They're much cuter up close," Teal seemed a big fan already.

"Well, he's a young a-adult, so he still have a some growing to do, but he's not a baby either. Those are only around a third of his size. Baby cacklers have to be kept in s-safe enclosures at that age, since they're very vulnerable, and sort of unruly. Lacuna is at a better age, where he's a little more cautious, and well trained.

You probably did see some out t-there, Ardee. Lacuna have been raised to be a good pet, but they are in the wild too, t-though most stays within the town limits, since it's safer for them. Ghost Vultures likes to hunt them.

And uhm... Yes, he is rather cute, isn't he? Maybe he'd like to say hello? Just be careful with him, okay?"

Void would kneel down, to bring the cackler to the foals height. Once there, he'd finish chomping down the last bit of mango, and give a happy laugh towards the foals. That is, before he'd try to climb over on one of them to properly greet them.

Since Teal were the one who thought he were cute, he'd hope to get to her first, and would sit on her shoulder. There, he's rub his face on the side of hers, before harmlessly nibbling her ear. His teeth couldn't do her any sort of damage, as they weren't evolved to chew through thick hides like that of ponies. Not that he'd want to do damage either. This were a friendship nibble. The same he's offer to the others, if they let him climb over on them too. Though if not, he were happy wandering around on those who would have him there, and both greet, and explore this new place.

If the two littlest ones came over though, Void would get somewhat nervous. They were adorable little scamps, but very energetic, and might not know how to handle an animal well.

He could probably get through them doing most things, as they might just try and chew his tail, or pull him in that. Which at most, would irritate a cackler. It rarely hurt them, unless you pulled to then throw them into something. That wasn't okay, so she'd watch very closely. Even if the smallest ones didn't come over.

"Cacklers are special animals. They are v-very clingy to those they like, and when they're treated right, become very musical. If you neglect them, or hurt them though, they start singing different tunes. I hope you never hear one give off a distress call, b-but trust me, you'd knew if you heard it. It's hard to miss, even if the windows and doors are closed. They can get very loud, if they have a reason to be."

The first encounter with an animal up close. A tamed, highly friendly one, that'd hopefully help them learn about some things. A good start... Hopefully.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

Arcade was nothing short of surprised by Null's sudden kiss and departure, and he stood staring back at her door dumbstruck for several minutes before happily trotting away to his room. Blush fully covering his face he was glad that no one else was nearby to see it.

Arcade wouldn't come back to Null's room until well into the next morning, when he knocked at the door, if she were still sitting against it, she wouldn't be able to miss the smell of warm cinnamon bread. "Event? You in there? I, uh, you weren't up this morning so I went to that bakery we visited yesterday and picked you up some breakfast, if you want it that is."

He would wait for a bit before sitting beside the door on the other side, "I can wait."

(Troy)

Teal yelped in surprise when the cackler nibbled on her ear, but thankfully she had enough restraint as to not try and remove him violently from her ear, instead tilting her head to try and move her sensitive ear out of his reach. The others giggled at the predicament, prompting the foals to take notice of the new moving thing and approach, curiosity filling their eyes as they stood against the taller ponies to try and get a better look at it.

Ardee came over to Void's side with a very slightly worried expression, she spoke softly to Void, "You're uh not expecting us to take care of it right? I mean... foals are one thing."

As they were occupied with the wonder of the cackler there was a knock at the door before Selena stepped through the door, she gave the young ponies a smile and a wave before getting Pen's attention and having her come out. After several minutes outside Pen came back in with a different look on her face. She came over to Void and Vale, "They need an expert on the facility to go to New Pegas, apparently there's a number of subject on the loose there. Of all the options they decided on me, given I'm nigh indestructible."

Vale looked disappointed, but chuckled as she embraced Pen, "I told you you'd be a real scientist one day. Now you are."

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 1/17/2021 at 6:34 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Event? You in there? I, uh, you weren't up this morning so I went to that bakery we visited yesterday and picked you up some breakfast, if you want it that is."

He would wait for a bit before sitting beside the door on the other side, "I can wait."

Null woke slowly got up as she heard the knocking. Who were hammering on her bed of all places?

It took her a little time to get back to her senses and realize, that she were sitting at the door. Or well, she had been laying awkwardly in front of it, which certainly helped explain why she felt a little crunched up.

Urgh. Why did she lay here though? Her mind were a little foggy after this pretty bad sleep she had gotten, so things hadn't shaken back into place yet. She recalled Arcade, and then... Something? There were talking? Urgh. He were knocking, right? Maybe she told him to come back then, or they'd been fighting.

She'd let out a yawn, and get up to open the door. Whatever it were, would come back to her sooner or later. Already felt like something were rustling into pla-

Once she opened the door, and her sleep-filled eyes landed on Arcade, things fell back into place, and the blush returned to her face. She looked rather ruffled up, as she hadn't even changed after yesterday, or used a brush. Yet maybe he wouldn't focus on that as much as her not just going inside, and smacking the door in his face. Metaphorically that were, as he were on the other side of the hall.

She'd end up closing her eyes and put her right front hoof, up to her face. It almost looked like she were having a migraine. Which weren't far off, considering how her mind were starting to assault her again. Because she didn't have a enough of that the last time, right?

"Any chance I just dreamt all of it, and I didn't actually come off as a awkward weirdo?"

(Troy)

Teal yelped in surprise when the cackler nibbled on her ear, but thankfully she had enough restraint as to not try and remove him violently from her ear, instead tilting her head to try and move her sensitive ear out of his reach. The others giggled at the predicament, prompting the foals to take notice of the new moving thing and approach, curiosity filling their eyes as they stood against the taller ponies to try and get a better look at it.

"D-Don't worry, Teal. Their teeth are very small and rounded, so it can't hurt you. They only eat fruits and small bugs that doesn't take a lot of force to chew on. Pony h-hide is far too thick for them. Even when fully grown. This is kind of just his way of saying hello to you."

Lacuna moved away once she tilted around, to get better footing, and would start to make the rounds with the others. Including eventually the small ones, whom he'd climbed down towards, once he reached the shortest of the other foals. Unless stopped, he didn't see a reason to be afraid of them right now. Why would he? They didn't look like vultures. 

Ardee came over to Void's side with a very slightly worried expression, she spoke softly to Void, "You're uh not expecting us to take care of it right? I mean... foals are one thing."

"Nono, don't w-worry about that. He's my pet, and I will take care of him. But they're clingy little creatures, and don't like b-being left alone too much, so he'll be with me a lot. So it's best if you all get to know him right away. Especially before we start working on dinner, so y-you're not worried that a wild animal were just following the smell.

I got a few things you can all can try tonight, including a surprise. Some of it is a little spicy, but I-I'll make sure to keep it for itself, so you don't have to eat it with the rest of the food. Unless you want to."

As they were occupied with the wonder of the cackler there was a knock at the door before Selena stepped through the door, she gave the young ponies a smile and a wave before getting Pen's attention and having her come out. After several minutes outside Pen came back in with a different look on her face. She came over to Void and Vale, "They need an expert on the facility to go to New Pegas, apparently there's a number of subject on the loose there. Of all the options they decided on me, given I'm nigh indestructible."

Vale looked disappointed, but chuckled as she embraced Pen, "I told you you'd be a real scientist one day. Now you are."

"It's probably not going to be an easy thing, but I'm sure you can do it, Pen. You're very resourceful, and I just know that y-you are going to be a valuable help to them, in stopping whatever those things might cause of trouble.

Though uhm... I-If you run into Null, would you mind telling her to please be careful, and that we miss her? A-And of course, that the foals are okay. I'm sure she'd like to know."

It weren't guaranteed, but the pleading look in her eyes as she said this, should tell that she truly hoped they'd encounter one another. Y'know, in case Pen had suddenly forgotten who they were, and how they tended to have one another's back. She probably anticipated this sort of response as it were.

Though that didn't mean that Void wasn't honest when she said that she believed in Pen. She had seen herself how resourceful the peculiar creature could be, and she would likely know a ton about these kinds of things. They could handle things here for a while, whilst she went and helped New Las Pegasus not get overrun by whatever monsters might have sprouted from that place.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

Arcade snorted, "Unless I also dreamt you accepting then rejecting my company, then ambushing me with a kiss as I was leaving... No I don't think you dreamt it."

He looked away and spoke with a bit of hesitation, "What's more important is what you meant, and what you regret."

He passed the bag he had with him so it sat between them, "I'm not good with these things, but it smelled nice and the baker recommended it, so..."

(Troy)

8 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"Nono, don't w-worry about that. He's my pet, and I will take care of him. But they're clingy little creatures, and don't like b-being left alone too much, so he'll be with me a lot. So it's best if you all get to know him right away. Especially before we start working on dinner, so y-you're not worried that a wild animal were just following the smell.

Ardee nodded with a smile, "He's a cute little guy really, I just guess these past few years have really put me off the idea of having dependants. I'll keep an eye out, don't worry, make sure they watch their hooves and don't try and eat him."

Speaking of, it looked like Lacuna and Peal were having some sort of staring contest, Peal having lowered herself to the floor, scooting closer until they were practically nose to nose, almost daring each other to be the first to move.

If Lacuna held out, Peal would carefully reach out a wingtip to poke him.

Piecey was a bit more standoffish towards the cackler, watching intently as Peal approached.

I got a few things you can all can try tonight, including a surprise. Some of it is a little spicy, but I-I'll make sure to keep it for itself, so you don't have to eat it with the rest of the food. Unless you want to."

Talk of food got the attention of the older ponies, "How can we help?"

Though uhm... I-If you run into Null, would you mind telling her to please be careful, and that we miss her? A-And of course, that the foals are okay. I'm sure she'd like to know."

Pen nodded, "Of course, It sounded like I would be working with her, or at least the ponies at the embassy, so I'm sure I'll see her." She sighed, or at least pantomimed sighing, "No matter, that's for the Pen and Sean of tomorrow. Let's get that food ready now shall we?"

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 1/19/2021 at 7:26 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Arcade snorted, "Unless I also dreamt you accepting then rejecting my company, then ambushing me with a kiss as I was leaving... No I don't think you dreamt it."

He looked away and spoke with a bit of hesitation, "What's more important is what you meant, and what you regret."

He passed the bag he had with him so it sat between them, "I'm not good with these things, but it smelled nice and the baker recommended it, so..."

"By all deities, big and small..."

As she half-mumbled this, Null had hoof on her forehead, and eyes wide shut as it became mighty apparent that yes, last night had indeed happened. As well as Arcade remembering the whole dang situation vividly, so there were no escaping it.

She were still embarrassed about it, and unsure about how to feel about... All of it, really, but she were also still morning groggy. It sorta helped to dull things a little, so she wouldn't become a stammering mess. Though it wouldn't last forever, so she had to do, or say, something.

"...I don't know what to do about this. I've never had anyone... Y'know. Only creeps, and that wasn't happening.  With you, I just... I don't know what I'm doing, okay? It's different. You're the one stallion who've shown interest, that I didn't think were just some creep, and you're the first I've ever... Y'know."

She were referring the to the kiss, and were obviously rather awkward and unsure of how to deal with this. Though Arcade had seen her for a while by now. He should know that if she did not like someone, she were very up front about it. Near confrontational, frankly. That she wasn't acting like that towards him, should tell him that she did like him, but just had issues getting it out.

Her belly rumbled rather noticeably at that point, and she'd reach out to grab something from the bag. Cinnamon weren't her most favored food, as it were rather sweet, but it'd be good to have something to shove in her muzzle, besides her own hoof.

She'd just keep it in front of her for now though, and would look up at Arcade again. Her eyes met his, with a little less conflict than yesterday, but there were still a struggle of sorts going on in hr mind.

"...I regret pushing you away. I just don't know how to not do that with someone. Even when it's someone I like..."

She'd chew down on some of the cinnamon bread then, before she ended up saying more dumb things, to try and take that back. again. Might not have been too loud, but she'd said it, okay? It felt like trying to pass a golf ball, but it were out there now. Though if Arcade wanted things to progress much further, he'd probably be best off trying to take the lead on some things. she'd need a push, or she'd eventually just crawl back into her shell. Metaphorically. Null wasn't a hermit crab.

(Troy)

Ardee nodded with a smile, "He's a cute little guy really, I just guess these past few years have really put me off the idea of having dependants. I'll keep an eye out, don't worry, make sure they watch their hooves and don't try and eat him."

"I've been around my s-sister most of the time since I can remember. With her gone to do other things, I felt like I needed s-something else there. Besides all of you, of course. Just back h-home that's a little empty sometimes. And thank you for making sure they don't try that. It w-wouldn't be good for them. Or him."

Void would lift a hoof and pat Ardee's mane with a reassuring smile on her face. She wouldn't leave them behind, which were another reason this were a good pet. Cacklers were very mobile sorts, who tended to enjoy crawling around on their owners. So long as she made sure he didn't get into the pots and pans, it should help things, and not detract from the attention she gave the foals.

Speaking of, it looked like Lacuna and Peal were having some sort of staring contest, Peal having lowered herself to the floor, scooting closer until they were practically nose to nose, almost daring each other to be the first to move.

If Lacuna held out, Peal would carefully reach out a wingtip to poke him.

Piecey was a bit more standoffish towards the cackler, watching intently as Peal approached.

Lacuna wasn't sure what were going on, but he played along, and stared into the little foals, big eyes, as she got closer. He even leaned in himself, and rose his upper body up, to better reach the foal.

He had not expected it to be a boop, and would let out a short, confused chirp at it. Maybe this was some sort of greeting, for these large creatures? It wasn't one he had been taught by the griffon, but he'd cautiously try and repeat it back. He didn't have wings, but he could - and would - raise his left front foot, and pat Peal's snoot. It weren't a hard pressure she'd feel either. Just scaly skin, and dulled claws, attached to a small, physically weak creature, who'd also look at her with curious, yet friendly eyes.

He were about as threatening, as a glass of soy milk.

Talk of food got the attention of the older ponies, "How can we help?"

"If you could help me unpack things, that'd be nice. Just be very, very careful with the box, okay? There's some gems in there, that I'm g-gonna show you soon, that'll help us get some warm food tonight. And uhm... A wrapped up package, which is kind of a surprise. I'll tell you m-more about that soon, okay?"

She needed to keep an eye on how things went with Peal, Piecey, and Lacuna, so it'd help if they would be so kind, as to get the food stuff out of the saddlebags. She'd put them down on the floor to make that whole thing easier, and inside, they'd find the stuff that were prepared for them to use for tonight's food. Along with a package of things wrapped up, which were what were needed for the sodas, as well as the papers on it. They'd get to that one soon enough, but they should get dinner preparing beforehoof. This one had a rather large amount of parts to it.

Now she thought about it, she weren't sure if Vale didn't still have the gems... Actually, she probably did, just to keep them out of Void's aura. No need to risk it, right?

Pen nodded, "Of course, It sounded like I would be working with her, or at least the ponies at the embassy, so I'm sure I'll see her." She sighed, or at least pantomimed sighing, "No matter, that's for the Pen and Sean of tomorrow. Let's get that food ready now shall we?"

"Y-Yeah. Let's focus on one thing at a time. Just uhm... Yes. We should probably begin finding some peelers, so we can get the roots p-prepared. They're gonna need the longest to soften up."

She'd like to bake at some point, but one thing at a time. A good, hearty stew were more something she thought would be good, and she'd be able to reuse some bread for this too, before it became stale and rough to eat.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

5 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"...I regret pushing you away. I just don't know how to not do that with someone. Even when it's someone I like..."

Arcade waited until she was done getting out everything she needed to say, he rubbed the back of his neck as he tried to think of how to respond, the blush apparent on his face. "I, er... I can't say I'm any more experienced in that department. Literally lived under a rock until a few days ago, spent my whole life being told I wasn't a real pony, didn't deserve anything more than they gave me. I never thought anyone would care about me the way... well, the way you have. I probably pushed too hard, teased you as you said, because I don't know what's appropriate, what's expected, or anything. I just know what I've seen since getting here, and I realize that might not be the best example."

He sighed, "I like you too, I like being with you. It feels different to be with you than with the others, which is why I chose to stay with you instead of going with them. They needed a better influence than me anyway, needed someone who wasn't as broken as I am."

He would sit silently for a time before taking some of the cinnamon bread for himself. If Null didn't speak up he would eventually say, "So, what are we going to do today? Branch already sent out the notice for someone specialized in anomalies to come here, said they'd be arriving by tonight, so we're free until then."

(Troy)

5 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

He had not expected it to be a boop, and would let out a short, confused chirp at it. Maybe this was some sort of greeting, for these large creatures? It wasn't one he had been taught by the griffon, but he'd cautiously try and repeat it back. He didn't have wings, but he could - and would - raise his left front foot, and pat Peal's snoot. It weren't a hard pressure she'd feel either. Just scaly skin, and dulled claws, attached to a small, physically weak creature, who'd also look at her with curious, yet friendly eyes.

He were about as threatening, as a glass of soy milk.

Peal wrinkled her nose when it got booped, staring cross eyed at where the cackler had touched her, then a smile spread across her face. She sat up and scooted closer so she was sitting in front of Lacuna, she spread her forehooves in an invitation for a hug, apparently seeing if he knew what the gesture meant.

As the others helped with the food prep Vale took up position watching over the foals, Void's comment reminding her that she had the gems with her, "Ah, I've got the gems here, probably should keep these away from the foals, wouldn't want them to get burned." She'd set the bag of gems over on one of the counters out of the way, "Don't touch these until Void tells you to alright?"

The three ponies would do anything that Void asked them to, paying close attention to everything they or she did.

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 1/21/2021 at 5:47 AM, Illiad Easle said:

He sighed, "I like you too, I like being with you. It feels different to be with you than with the others, which is why I chose to stay with you instead of going with them. They needed a better influence than me anyway, needed someone who wasn't as broken as I am."

This almost made Null smirk a little, while she chewed through her bread, as she had some idea of whom were helping to look out for the foals. Void always were a caring mare, who wanted to look out for others, and with their shared experience with the facility, she'd volunteer in a heartbeat, if she were offered the help. And frankly, calling her not broken, would be a rather large lie. Though she supposed, it were in a different way. And Void had gotten better.

She didn't say any of this aloud though, as frankly, she had other things on her mind, once Arcade said that he also liked her. Not that Nine would've let her give off personal information anyway either, but that sorta thinking were far from her mind right now, as she tried chewing on the fact that apparently, they both knew absolutely zilch bout dating, or dealing with the sort of thing going on around it, so they were pretty clueless about where to go from here. And somewhat awkward about the whole affair as well.

...Dear lords, she were feeling like how Fluttershy looked. Warm fuzzies going on, but nervous and awkward when it came to expressing it. Must've been tough going through life like that.

"Y-Yeah well, you're not the only one that's broken here. Guess that's a thing... I know what it's like to have others make you feel you're not good enough too. But you're dealing better. I got angry instead. Started to shut off, and fight others. Got all sorts of messy.

Urgh, this isn't what I'm supposed to talk about right? It's... Why must this be so bloody complicated!?"

She'd stomp slightly into the ground, and let out a few, raspy breaths. She were starting to get irritated again, and now wasn't the time. Even if she were thinking she were acting like a complete tool, and were miffed over how difficult this were feeling.

"Never thought I'd had to deal with anything like this. I always assumed I'd die young, and if I got lucky, from protecting someone that'd remember me. Never assumed I'd meet someone like you. So I guess... Try hanging out, and do something normal? See what happens? I think that's what folks normally do?"

He would sit silently for a time before taking some of the cinnamon bread for himself. If Null didn't speak up he would eventually say, "So, what are we going to do today? Branch already sent out the notice for someone specialized in anomalies to come here, said they'd be arriving by tonight, so we're free until then."

"...Well, we were meant to look for safe places, and somewhere Dove and the others could eat, beyond the bakery. We could go out and look at that, maybe? O-Or maybe look for some of those changelings to get some information? Guess there's also the fire yesterday... We could go find out how bad the aftermath's looking?"

First suggestion were kind of a lesser important one, but it were her way of trying to push something a little bit. With them going out to have something to eat. Y'know, together. Nowhere massively expensive though. She weren't made of gold, and realistically, she should probably go to an exchange market of something, and even out her varied forms of currency, to more local tender, to make it simpler to pay for stuff. She could do that on the way, if they went to eat together at some point. Y'know... On a date. Normal ponies did that sort of thing, far as she knew.

(Troy)

Peal wrinkled her nose when it got booped, staring cross eyed at where the cackler had touched her, then a smile spread across her face. She sat up and scooted closer so she was sitting in front of Lacuna, she spread her forehooves in an invitation for a hug, apparently seeing if he knew what the gesture meant.

Considering his size, Lacuna weren't exactly built for pony hugs. But he did see what she saw as a friendly gesture, and as such, would think to try his own in return. Which did include scurrying up Peal's leg, and climb up towards her shoulder, so he could rub his face against hers. Much smaller frame than Void's, so perhaps he'd just make it to the top of her chest, before being able to reach up, which would kind of put him in a hug position. Seemed like thus far, the two of them were going to get along fairly okay. Unless the climbing part freaked her out. Things might get interesting then.

As the others helped with the food prep Vale took up position watching over the foals, Void's comment reminding her that she had the gems with her, "Ah, I've got the gems here, probably should keep these away from the foals, wouldn't want them to get burned." She'd set the bag of gems over on one of the counters out of the way, "Don't touch these until Void tells you to alright?"

The three ponies would do anything that Void asked them to, paying close attention to everything they or she did.

"Yes, best to be careful. Though I will have to ask one of you to help me with them. I can't touch them, or t-they might get drained. They're special gems that helps warm things. You can k-kind of thing of them like hardened fire."

As for the food, she'd have small, easy preparations for them. This were not a drawn out, difficult task she were working on here, though it would need time to stir properly, once they were ready. Though before anything else, they had to start peeling, and chopping. Peeling seemed a good place for the foals to start, so she'd offer a couple of peeler to those who felt like they'd be the most comfortable with them. She'd then show them how to handle and use them, before handling the varied veggies that needed to be peeled, over there. Roots, carrots, a half beat, and a few other odds and ends.

The last one, who did not to do that, she'd have help her chop things. Hopefully that would be Ardee, as she thought the young mare would do the best with a knife, and she'd openly encourage her to volunteer for that, if possible. A chopping board would then be provided, and Void would show her how to slowly, and carefully, chop up the various things that were peeled. She'd use a larger knife to cut them into easier to slice pieces, as need be, but her volunteer would get this done at their own pace, and with her guidance, as to avoid accidents. It were cooking after all, not a race.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

3 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"...Well, we were meant to look for safe places, and somewhere Dove and the others could eat, beyond the bakery. We could go out and look at that, maybe? O-Or maybe look for some of those changelings to get some information? Guess there's also the fire yesterday... We could go find out how bad the aftermath's looking?"

Arcade nodded, "That all sounds good, even if it mostly boils down to wander about the town and see what we find, I think that's a perfectly good plan."

He would offer to help Null up to her hooves but wouldn't be too disappointed if she elected to pick herself up.

Dove would wave goodbye to them as they left, wishing them a safe journey.

Arcade would look around, there wasn't too much going on at the moment. "If I remember correctly, food places and the tower are towards the center, and the changelings inhabit a theater in this area, which one do you want to check out first?"

(Troy)

Peal would gently hold Lacuna to her chest and reciprocate the head rub by rubbing her own head against his, giggling to herself the whole time. It looked like she'd be fairly unwilling to let anyone else play with Lacuna at this point.

Void wouldn't have to worry about the knife, and Ardee volunteered to help with cutting things even before Void mentioned it needing to happen, all in all she had a trio of very attentive and dutiful assistants, they would occasionally ask more directly than what they were making, but rather how the ingredients influenced the whole, what each did to contribute to the end and what could be enjoyed outside the dish. It seemed they wanted to understand the whole process.

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 1/23/2021 at 4:29 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Arcade would look around, there wasn't too much going on at the moment. "If I remember correctly, food places and the tower are towards the center, and the changelings inhabit a theater in this area, which one do you want to check out first?"

"We may as well try the theater first. If they're out helping around, we could at least leave a note, and have them come to meet with us."

The theater had clearly seen better days. Twice, actually. It were nearly in ruins, and actually condemned, before it were originally given to Hive Cheshire. They managed to fix it up well, including via using changeling bile to harden up cracks, which were then painted over in time. Now the paint had more or less cracked off in many places, and the sign once saying this were a theater, now read *Hive Cheshire Changeling Shelter*, in faded paint. A changeling actually walked in as they arrived, so there were someone in there. If it included any of those they met, were still to be seen though.

If they went over and knocked, they'd eventually be greeted. Though they could also just walk in, long as they did not seem aggressive.

(if you want the third survivor, or a random changeling, you can do so here. Otherwise, I will intervene next time)

(Troy)

Peal would gently hold Lacuna to her chest and reciprocate the head rub by rubbing her own head against his, giggling to herself the whole time. It looked like she'd be fairly unwilling to let anyone else play with Lacuna at this point.

Rubbing heads were a friendly gesture that Lacuna were well aware of. That were mostly how their kind showed affection towards one another. The hug were weird, but he managed, and just kept chirping, whilst rubbing his head against hers, as best he could. Seemed like he had found himself a current favorite among the foals.

Void wouldn't have to worry about the knife, and Ardee volunteered to help with cutting things even before Void mentioned it needing to happen, all in all she had a trio of very attentive and dutiful assistants, they would occasionally ask more directly than what they were making, but rather how the ingredients influenced the whole, what each did to contribute to the end and what could be enjoyed outside the dish. It seemed they wanted to understand the whole process.

"We're making a s-stew tonight, with a side bowl of sweet chili, in case anyone want to try a little spice, but without being forced to eat it. There'll be a l-lot of things to chew, but it's good. Full of vitamins.

Soon as we're done chopping and peeling, I'll get the cauldron filled, and we can start preparing the c-cooking place. After that, we'll begin to have things heated up and stirred. Then someone can help mush the chilies, and a-afterwards, I'm going to start working on something special on the side. T-Though I can't tell you what that is, yet. It's a surprise."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

Arcade nodded, and followed along as Null led the way, "I was wondering, you know quite a bit about my life, not that there is much to know, but I don't hardly know much about you. Now, I'm not going to pry, I don't even know where to begin asking, but I would like to know more about you if you're willing to share."

(Given Null's personality, I wouldn't be surprised if they just walked in after seeing a changeling do the same.)

(Troy)

Peal would eventually let Lacuna go, Piecey having come closer to get a better look at what her sister was enjoying.

The young ponies would eagerly continue helping Void to assemble the stew, occasionally sampling the individual ingredients if they were allowed to, commenting on the taste/texture of the things they tried to the others.

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 1/25/2021 at 7:13 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Arcade nodded, and followed along as Null led the way, "I was wondering, you know quite a bit about my life, not that there is much to know, but I don't hardly know much about you. Now, I'm not going to pry, I don't even know where to begin asking, but I would like to know more about you if you're willing to share."

"Not a lot to say about myself, frankly. When I was six, some townsfolk wanted to trim my feathers, because of what I could do. Didn't want me flying around. But they botched it, and I ended up losing my whole wing. ...Don't think I've ever seen dad as hurt as he were, when I woke up, and he knew he had to tell me I'd be stuck ground side for the rest of my life..."

That one still stung to remember. Even more than knowing that she were doomed, which is what tore into her at the time. It'd be years before she could look past that, and understand that it hadn't just been her that had been in pain there, but him too. He were the one who had to amputate the crushed remains of her wing after all. Might be they weren't blood related, but he had been her father through and through, and much as it hurt her to go through twenty years, stuck on the ground, she couldn't really imagine how much it must have hurt to be the adult in the room at that time. having to be the one to tell your daughter what happened, after having to sever the wing himself... It must've torn him apart. Just as it had when their mother needed to talk to Void about her leg.

In a way, it were probably a kindness that they had forgotten about the two of them, for that long. At least they didn't have to keep those painful memories for that long.

She'd keep the intimate details, and knowledge of her sister to herself for now, so that Nine wouldn't start getting into a hissy fit again.

"Anyway, he and mom figured it were time to leave, and the locals didn't like it. I made it out... They didn't. had to spend the next twenty years on the road battling my own demons. Sometimes actual ones too. You wouldn't believe the sort of things you can run into out there. Never settled down for long, since what I can do, ends causing trouble, or superstition. Sometimes, I just didn't like the place, or my health couldn't take it. Finally ended up here some time after the crisis, and got some help. Both with the wing, and mentally.

Though like you've already seen, I'm not keeping it together all the time. I'm constantly having to try and keep my emotions in check. Mostly hatred and fear, though the hatred helps stave off the fear. Might've gotten some help, but being on my own since I were that small, seeing all that death. My wing... It tears at me, and it's not just dealt with in a few weeks, if ever. Heck I even ended up trying to off myself too a few times when it felt truly hopeless, or I saw someone die that really got to me. Never had to heart to go through with it, but... It got close, once.

That's basically all. Except for details about what sort of thing I ran into out there. Mostly cursed items. Started collecting them to try and keep them out of the hooves of those who'd use them for bad things. You'd be amazed what sort of thing you can run into. Like a teddy bear who'd paralyze whoever picked it up, then eat them alive, and store their life energy. Or a magic eight ball, that'd tear out your eye, replace it, and start draining the life from you, while making you believe you could see the future. Or this odd, green pouch. Opened up by itself if you got too near, and spouted out spores that's twist you into a tree. Slowly, and painfully, from what I saw.

We can talk body horror another day though, alright? We got work to do now."

Seeing the changeling wander in, it were clear there were someone here, so Null would knock thrice, then give it four seconds. She would've entered by then, if not because someone had indeed opened. A small female it seemed, who looked to be rather young, as well as having her face and torso covered in what seemed like burn marks from hot pokers. It would appear that someone had once tortured this young changeling, and the nervous glance she gave them too, spoke that she were not overly trusty either. Who could really blame her?

"Y-Yes?"

"We're looking for someone from Hive Cheshire?"

The door got instantly closed, and it sounded as if the changeling scurried away from the door. This seemed to be a good point for her to just wander in. One of the times that it helped, that the front door weren't locked. It might be preferable at times, but other times, local guards liked making unannounced visits. It were easier to just remove the locks, and make it clear that they weren't hiding anything. Except for the basement area, but that were a changeling thing.

"We were just gonna ask them for help finding out something. We're not gonna hurt them."

The small changeling turned around, and looked a little iffy, as she glanced from side to side.

"S-Sorry. I were just uhm... I j-just wanted to get them here. I'm sorry. I d-didn't mean to be rude."

"...It's okay. Could you point us in the right direction, please?"

She'd shake her head a little.

"You're i-inside. I should lead you there. It's... W-Well, Queen- I mean. Bling isn't h-here right now. But J-Jelly is You can talk to her, maybe?"

Null nodded slowly, and let the changeling lead them at her own pace, down the side of the hall. Seemed like there had once upon a time been a lot of theater seats here, but they had been refurbished to beds, tables, or just removed, to allow more space for changelings of any kind, who might need the space. Seemed to be about two and a half dozen here right now, with a few likely trickling in every now and again. They seemed to socialize well, with some of the ones who had it the toughest, seemingly getting help from others who had acclimated better, or had once been in their position. A lot of eyes were on them as they walked in, but Arcade and her were left alone by them. She didn't have to be a changeling to tell that their presence made some of them nervous though. Size weren't really important, as much as there being non-changelings in their safe spot. And for some, they represented potential prey, which were something that some changelings had to struggle a lot with getting past.

There were a lot of work to do with that. Keeping them fed and clean were just one thing, but they needed help to acclimate properly, and get the support they needed to deal with the various hives they once had, being decimated. Most who helped out every now and again, were veterans, who had been in their shoes once, and could relate better. A tough position, but the remaining scraps of Hive Cheshire did what they could with Bling being the one the young one had almost called her queen, as it were a position many had come to more or less see her in, due to her taking charge of keeping things together.

She'd claim that Deadpan did just as much, but they all knew that mostly, he just followed her lead, even if she hadn't said anything yet. They were close after all, so often times, he could predict what she wanted from him.

The last of the remaining survivors of the local hive, were not a leader, but she did do an invaluable serving, as Gel Orchard - or Jelly, as the others affectionally called her - were the best gatherer of the hive. She knew where to set up to gather food as best they could, without causing harm, and she went and did that mostly quietly. She wasn't really the sort that liked being in the spot light, and never actually performed on stage with the others. Mostly she handled gathering joy back when the theater were running, and only play a part behind the scene, where she'd help provide music for the performances. She still played every now and again for the changelings in here, that could use some uplifting tunes, but mostly she were the *cook*, and maintenance changeling. And they'd currently find her in what had once been a dressing room, transferring the joy jelly into the baubles that they usually fed from. Bling and Deadpan were already out doing some food delivery, so her task now were to help those who came here personally, or stayed here, more or less permanently.

She were dressed simplistically too. With a patched up chefs hat, frilly shoes, and an apron saying - in faded letters - *Kiss the chef*. Just with a sharpie adding the word *Don't* at the start of it. She liked the outfit honestly. At least when she cooked, though she had a dress for other situations, that matched her red wig better.

"Guests? Hello, I guess? Is something wrong?"

She were confused and concerned seeing the two unfamiliar faces, but she'd listen, whilst the little one scurried off to somewhere else. Not too far though. It were just about feeding time, and like many others, she were hungry.

(Troy)

Peal would eventually let Lacuna go, Piecey having come closer to get a better look at what her sister was enjoying.

Having seen how Peal liked to greet him, Lacuna would walk over towards Piecey, with the intent to greet her in the same fashion. Though if she started to back off, he'd hesitantly stop for a bit, before scurrying after her again. If she kept moving then so would he, to a point where it were clear that he were thinking that they were playing, and the point of the game were that he had to catch her. Which were easier said than done, as she had longer legs than him.

The young ponies would eagerly continue helping Void to assemble the stew, occasionally sampling the individual ingredients if they were allowed to, commenting on the taste/texture of the things they tried to the others.

Void frankly didn't know when she had last felt as happy as she did, when she were seeing her little helpers go along with their tasks. Sampling the food to see how they liked it, and doing their best to follow her instructions, as she wandered around and tried to give them a little help, if it looked like they were having issues with some things- It felt like she were at peace, and genuinely happy, without any lingering bad thoughts. Might be she had only known them for a short while, but she adored every last one of these foals. She hoped they knew that, though if they were ever in doubt, she'd remind them. Every moment, of every day, if that is what were needed.

The sight and thoughts, metaphorically made her ovaries flutter. One day perhaps...

Once she had filled the cauldron up with water, she would focus on the task of building up a rudimentary cooking place. It wasn't anything fancy, but it stood solid, and weren't to tall. Which were good, as she needed someone else to stir, due to her proximity causing issues with the gems, if she weren't careful.

"Vale? Would you please put the gems where they need to? Right under the cauldron. They should stay safe there, long as they don't get knocked out of the little enclosure."

It were more of a minor hole they'd fit into, but details.

Once placed there, the water would slowly start to warm up, which meant that now were a good time to check on how the ingredients were doing. And quite frankly? It looked great! A few minor beauty issues, and it could do with less waste on the peeling, but they were new at this. She didn't expect perfection so soon. That would be unreasonable.

"It looks good. You've all done a really good job. Soon as the water starts boiling, we will be adding in the ingredients a little at a time, and then we stir. It will still be about fifteen minutes though, so you can relax a little. You earned it."

They had earned more, but she had to start on that too, which is where her *side project* came into view. As they had a little time now, she would start to unpack, and begin following the recipe. How long it'd take, she didn't know, but she'd do it as it stood. No need to take risks, right?

Though of course, before that, she'd make sure there were an open window, creaked open at least. In case there weren't other sort of ways for the steam to come out, it had to exit somewhere. Though if there were another way, she wouldn't open the window. Not right now, anyway.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

Arcade listened carefully to everything Null told him, showing a genuine interest in her story.

Once they were inside with the changelings, (Who would likely have a dedicated throne room, hall of remembrance, slime pit, and incubation chamber underneath the theater. All hallmarks of a proper hive even if they aren't used at the moment.)

Arcade would take some initiative with the changeling leader they were led to, "We're here on behalf of the Trojan Embassy, we're looking to make some inroads with the locals, and are looking for safe places and routes for the embassy staff to take. We were hoping you, with your experience and connections in this town, might be able to help with that."

(Troy)

Piecey would only back up a short distance when Lacuna started to approach her, then she would sit down like Peal had, through she wouldn't spread her forelegs, as she was still a bit hesitant towards the cackler.

Vale would carefully pour the gems out of the segmented bag that kept them from touching each other, and therefore from activating, into the designated area under the pot. It wouldn't take long for them to get hot enough to bring the water to a boil. "Hmm, we're going to need some tongs to get those back in the bag, should have thought of that earlier."

The young ponies would watch as the ingredients were added to the pot, though they were careful enough to stay away from touching the pot itself lest they get burned.

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 1/27/2021 at 6:42 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Once they were inside with the changelings, (Who would likely have a dedicated throne room, hall of remembrance, slime pit, and incubation chamber underneath the theater. All hallmarks of a proper hive even if they aren't used at the moment.)

Arcade would take some initiative with the changeling leader they were led to, "We're here on behalf of the Trojan Embassy, we're looking to make some inroads with the locals, and are looking for safe places and routes for the embassy staff to take. We were hoping you, with your experience and connections in this town, might be able to help with that."

The hive actually did not have a dedicated throne room, even if the other areas were there. Not used a lot, but there anyway, until the day came when there would be a time to have it used once more, outside of comfort sessions from some of the changelings.

Cheshire had always been a more down to earth, personal sort of queen, who didn't enjoy things such as thrones, or even having her own room. Be if before or after they moved into Las Pegasus, she had primarily slept in a large room, together with her changelings. The closest to a throne she really had, were a stone slab that got hung on the wall, with the words *Hive sweet hive* carved into it.

She did have a small section for herself though, just in case she had needed some alone time, but it wasn't really considered a throne room, as much as a broom closet with a large pillow.

As for Arcade speaking now though, he'd be met with a rather nervous pull of the collar by the changeling *In charge*, after his words.

"O-Oh dear. This is... I'm not really the one who knows all these kinds of things. Bling is far better at knowing how everything's set up, and where most of them are.

But I guess... It's important, yes? Must be, if it's from an embassy. Right. Well, maybe if you can wait a little for me to prepare lunch for everyone, I can get you in talk directly, with a few of the others? We have some changelings working here and there in town, that might be able to get you a better picture of things. Maybe Bling or Deadpan would even come back during it, and they can tell you more? I don't deal with all the planning and stuff that goes on out there all that much. Mostly just harvesting, and smaller things. Usually more than enough for me to do here

I can help with a map though, with safe routes. I've had to harvest around enough to know where it's safe, and where it's not. Which tends to change a little, depending on what time of day it is. Some places should never be visited at night. E-Ever. There's some bad elements out roaming in New Las Pegasus."

It'd be around ten minutes for her to properly finish preparing food for everyone, if they could wait that short amount of time. Shouldn't be too bad, right? The food gave off a rather sickly sweet smell, but beyond that, it were calm and safe here, as Jelly did her thing. Something which in her eyes, felt like it were less important than everything her siblings did, despite how often she were praised by everyone else. Making sure they got fed were important. As were having someone who stayed inside the theater most times, to make sure that there were usually someone around that those looking for help could come for.

Bling might have the technical leadership role, with Deadpan running as a close second in command, that tended to deal with arranging work appointments for those changelings who felt ready to try that, but Jelly were an integral part too. Just imagine how badly their kind would stand, if she didn't make sure they were fed, in a way that didn't involve them having to harvest more directly from other beings? Or be there to listen to them, since Deadpan and Bling had to often be out and deal with the changelings around town, that weren't huddling here? She were as important as anyone else to the hive, and neither the thankful souls that came here for help, nor her siblings, would ever stop telling her how much she meant for them. Hay, she were even teaching her craft to a few other changelings, which could really help on harvesting the excess joy they fed upon, if they suddenly got a large influx, and she couldn't keep up on her own. Jelly were an efficient, non-offensive harvester. It'd help them to have more that knew how to do that. As well as any other hive those she taught, might one day go an join. The less hunter changelings they had in the world, the better. Especially now, that the population were a great deal smaller than before, which also meant less prey. Changelings would have to find a harmony in things to survive in this world.

(Troy)

Piecey would only back up a short distance when Lacuna started to approach her, then she would sit down like Peal had, through she wouldn't spread her forelegs, as she was still a bit hesitant towards the cackler.

Spread forelegs or not, Lacuna would still attempt to climb up her, and hug her upper chest, whilst nuzzling his head against her chin, if he could. It seemed to be seen as a very friendly thing with the other pony, so he'd try it with Piecey too. Worst case, she'd back off again, or wriggle him off, and he'd try to calm her down with a little song. That was his logic at least, as he had been taught that a happy tune went a long way. In parts because for his kind, it actually did, as it were how they communicated. It weren't like they knew equine after all.

"Hmm, we're going to need some tongs to get those back in the bag, should have thought of that earlier."

"I brought a pair from home, actually."

Void would pause her current actions for a bit, to go over and pull a pair of cleaned tongs out of her bag.

"Can't properly do glasswork without at least a few pairs of these, and I made sure to clean these yesterday."

She'd put them down and push them over towards the pot, while she kept on with her project for a little longer, until the water boiled.

Once that were ready, she'd take the ingredients a little by little, and add them to the cauldron. All while making sure that she were out of reach of the gems, which shouldn't be too hard, unless she literally tried kicking under the cauldron. Which would be immensely stupid. As things got added, she'd also make use of a large, wooden spoon, and start to stir around.

The smells would differ a lot. Starting with a more sour smell, going over into bitter, than tangy, before finally beginning to even out. The smells were actually the indicator for when you had to put in some things, and to know if you stirred too much, or too little. She'd leanred that from her mother, and while it did make it pretty weird smelling for those not knowing the dish, it did get pretty good once it had all come together. And it were starting to help well now. Just a little broth to finish things, and then stir for about ten more minutes, before adding the veggies that required less time to smoothen out, and there'd be food ready after simmering for about twenty minutes, with minimal input from them.

She made sure to inform them every step of the way, what she were doing, so they would know what were going on. Including the smells. Void would also ask Ardee if she'd be so kind as to use the mortar to mush the spicy stuff together, and then let it stand and air a little when it were done. It had to get a small bit of the soup water in there to finish it off, once everything were done, but it were best to get it done fast.

"- And that's it, really. Now it just needs a stir every few minutes, and we will have a lovely stew ready. If anyone wants to try stirring, you can, but please be careful. It's pretty hot in there, so it's best not to spill it. Just go nice and slow, like this."

Void would show them again how to do so. Not stirring as if trying to wing a race, but with an even, calm pace. The more they saw it, the better, right?

"It's still going to be around twenty minutes or so until we get to eat, so... Anyone have any questions about things while we wait? And please put the cutting boards away, and clear up the scraps. An important part of cooking, is to make sure to clean up. We can wait to wash it until after dinner though."

She would go over and take the knife that Ardee had used to cut things with, and give her a little encouraging smile, and pat on the shoulder.

"Good knife handling. I'm happy you didn't end up hitting yourself, Ardee. It can sometimes happen when you first start in a kitchen."

She'd wander over and start further work on the soda project as things or questions would commence, unless she needed to physically interact with something elsewhere, or Ardee took hold of her. It could wait, if the foals needed her complete attention and tender touch.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

Arcade would be happy to wait and watch everything going on around him, he had never had the opportunity to watch a changeling hive from the inside, had never seen so many changelings in one place before. "Of course, any help you can provide would be much appreciated, and if there is anything we can do to help you as well, I'd be happy to get you or another in touch with Dove or Branch."

(Troy)

Piecey would pull back a little bit when Lacuna climbed her, though would take a new interest when the cackler started singing, a light coming to her eyes as she did her best to parrot Lacuna's tune.

"It's still going to be around twenty minutes or so until we get to eat, so... Anyone have any questions about things while we wait? And please put the cutting boards away, and clear up the scraps. An important part of cooking, is to make sure to clean up. We can wait to wash it until after dinner though."

Teal asked, "How do you know what to put in when and how much? I mean, not you in particular, but how do ponies figure this stuff out? Tasting the ingredients by themselves I wouldn't think to include half of them, but they smell very good in the pot."

Toupé nodded in agreement, having a similar question in mind.

"Good knife handling. I'm happy you didn't end up hitting yourself, Ardee. It can sometimes happen when you first start in a kitchen."

Ardee nodded, "I've always been pretty good with knives, though typically in more violent means than chopping vegetables." 

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 1/29/2021 at 6:16 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Of course, any help you can provide would be much appreciated, and if there is anything we can do to help you as well, I'd be happy to get you or another in touch with Dove or Branch."

"If there's anything, Bling will probably get hold of you. She's more of a leader type. Me? I'm just the chef."

"From what I know about changelings, that's still important."

Yes, b-but not as much as what they're doing. Anyway, just... Let me finish here quickly."

After she were done filling up the various bags of jelly, and put them all box with wheels on it, Jelly would wander over to a nearby closet. Opening it would reveal a few things, though nothing really important for the most part. What she went for however, were one of about four rolled up scrolls, which she'd float down, and give to Arcade.

If he rolled it out, he'd find a large parchment, with a pretty details map of the lower level of New Las Pegasus, along with markings showing where the various collection vats were stationed, and some notes here and there on things to look out for. For more general threats, there were a system of symbols marking various sections, with another marker next to it, denoting what time of day that were important. For example, a certain area north of here, were marked with a safe orange, along with a sun. Though under it, were  skull, and a moon, which were meant to indicate that it were very unsafe after sundown.

The houses did not have internal layouts, since frankly, it wasn't their style to go around breaking and entering... That much. Not unless there were a really good, important reason for doing it. So it were just the streets that were detailed, and the houses with outlines. The blank interior tended to be used for the scribbles about important information, and the markings about certain areas

"That should cover everything. Just please don't meddle with the vats, o-okay? We need them active and secure."

(Troy)

Piecey would pull back a little bit when Lacuna climbed her, though would take a new interest when the cackler started singing, a light coming to her eyes as she did her best to parrot Lacuna's tune.

This were pretty funny to Lacuna, who heard the tune come back towards him from the little filly. Something akin to meowing to a cat, though he were just finding it funny how she tried to speak his language. And boy howdy were he continuing on with responding to that chittering, with some more of his own. Simple things first though, which sounded kind of like whistling, and small, melodious giggles. Seemed like these two were gonna get along after all.

Teal asked, "How do you know what to put in when and how much? I mean, not you in particular, but how do ponies figure this stuff out? Tasting the ingredients by themselves I wouldn't think to include half of them, but they smell very good in the pot."

Toupé nodded in agreement, having a similar question in mind.

"That's a very good question, Teal.

Usually ponies, and other races that doesn't like their food raw, tend to follow recipes. It's usually written into cook books, by others who experimented with all sorts of ingredients to see what would make it taste better. Or sometimes, how to make it edible at all. Troy have a long history of that, since it's not always easy to get varied produce in the desert, so especially in the old times, they had to get inventive sometimes. Not a lot of those recipes still followed, since it's easier to get around these days, but my mother taught me a lot of those, and it's kinda comforting for me to make them. They make for good, nutrient food too.

Anyway, most places goes by recipes from those who learned better. Sometimes made years, if not decades or centuries beforehoof. Usually the older the dish though, the more will try and improve upon it. Those are usually chefs, and those who are good at that, can sometimes present that as specialties, that draws others to their restaurants. I prefer more simple dishes though.

I know this time, I didn't follow one, but that's because this one can be judged by smell. The dish gets a special sort of aroma, once the varied things are cooked through to where they need to be. That's mostly just experience though. I wouldn't expect any of you to know that on your first try. It'll take a long time to get practiced in that sort of thing.

For new cooks, it's best to measure, and follow recipes. I have a few books in my workshop I can try and bring around. You can see what sort of dishes others have made there. usually there's pictures of how it's supposed to look too, so you can kind of get a sense of things. It's normally never looking as pretty as that, but the taste is what is important too, not looks. Unless you wanna be a high end chef. They have to think on presentation a lot.

I am actually planning to make use of a really old recipe one of these days, once I get a few more ingredients in. It takes a long time to finish, but it's worth it, if done just right. We can go through the recipe on that one when it is. Would you like that?"

The question were for them all, even if Void looked and smiled at Teal the most, seeing as she had asked the question to begin with. It felt pretty nice to teach these adorable little munchkins a few things. And who knew? maybe one of them would really get into cooking, and find a real passion for that. Void couldn't teach fancy food, but she'd be more than happy to tutor in home made meals, the best she could, and gleefully follow anyone who'd surpass what levels she had reached.

Ardee nodded, "I've always been pretty good with knives, though typically in more violent means than chopping vegetables." 

"And you Ardee, I hope you don't have to use a knife like that again. But just in case, it never hurts to know, right? My sister used to say that she'd rather know how to hurt others and not need it, than needing to hurt others, and not knowing how. I think you two would see eye to eye on a few things like this."

Well, Ardee would look down on her, physically, but that was besides the point.

"Bt there's much more creative ways we can put your knife skills to use. Cooking is one thing, and from what I can see, I think you'd do good. The recipe I have in mind actually have some rather tough veggies to chop through, so maybe that'll be a fun challenge for you?"

She wanted to encourage Ardee, not stifle her, so she'd look on things positively right now. That being that Ardee were skilled with a knife, and might make a darn fine chef one day, if she trained it for that. That she were then able to also stab someone... Well, like she had said, it were best to know how. Didn't mean she'd go around and do it after all. Just that if she had no option, she'd be able to keep herself, and others, safe.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

Arcade would pull out his own copy of a map of the city, by the logo it came from the casino they had first met Epsilon in, and he would start copying down the notes that the changelings had made on their map. He marked the vats as unsafe territory so the embassy staff would steer clear of those areas. "Thank you again, we'll be sure to keep the staff away from your vats. When Bling gets a chance, have her come by the embassy. I'm sure Dove or Branch would love to have a more formal meeting so as to discuss a mutually beneficial relationship between us. For now though, unless there's something we can do for you, we should get on with our other duties, we've taken enough of your time as it is."

(Troy)

Peal was happy to watch as Piecey and Lacuna sang back and forth, though her attention started to get pulled away by the smell of the cooking food.

I am actually planning to make use of a really old recipe one of these days, once I get a few more ingredients in. It takes a long time to finish, but it's worth it, if done just right. We can go through the recipe on that one when it is. Would you like that?"

Teal and Toupé nodded at that, "Your mother taught you... do you think she could teach us too?"

"Bt there's much more creative ways we can put your knife skills to use. Cooking is one thing, and from what I can see, I think you'd do good. The recipe I have in mind actually have some rather tough veggies to chop through, so maybe that'll be a fun challenge for you?"

There was a bit of a sad smile on Ardee's face, "You sound like Mistress, and a little like Arcade. I... I would like to know how to defend myself, properly if that's alright. Improvising can only get you so far, and you only get lucky so often before you don't."

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

15 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Thank you again, we'll be sure to keep the staff away from your vats. When Bling gets a chance, have her come by the embassy. I'm sure Dove or Branch would love to have a more formal meeting so as to discuss a mutually beneficial relationship between us. For now though, unless there's something we can do for you, we should get on with our other duties, we've taken enough of your time as it is."

"I'll tell her. Promise. And there's not a whole lot you could do for me now. In fact, it uhm... Might be best if you left anyway. The o-others are hungry, and we still have some with trust issues towards ponies. I don't wanna chase you off or anything, but well-"

"You got your job to do, we got ours. Best we leave you some peace to do it, instead of mucking up your routines, and rattling cages."

A bit bluntly said, but Jelly did nod awkwardly from hearing this. It were not exactly wrong after all. They all had their things to do, and she'd do her best right now, if they weren't here. It were of course good to have the others mingle with ponies, but well, feeding time could be a bit personal for some, and feel like a real bad time to test boundaries. Especially Bubblegum were still not doing well even being around ponies, though she could at least talk to the now, as were evident by her leading these ponies here. Not the case when she got to town at all. It uhm... It were pretty bad.

Jelly would follow them out to the exit, and give them a small smile, before closing the door behind her. It were time to get the others fed, before the hunger started to poke at the edge of their minds.

"Quick and efficient. Got some help on safe routes, and now we know who is their de facto leader. Could be valuable, if we were to try and take contact to them.

What next? I don't think it's that long since we ate, so maybe we try looking at the building first? Maybe figure out what's going on there. Nothing good I think, since she had it marked down with two skulls, and no indicator. Makes me think they try and avoid it if they can.

What're you thinking?"

She were hoping he were thinking the same as her, though she had sort of a dual idea behind it. Kind of like them having some alone time, in a building where no one else seemed to enter. Could give them time to talk about things maybe. And then afterwards, maybe something to eat? That's kinda be like a date... Right? It could be somewhat nice. Though she had to enjoy it while it lasted, more than likely. She suspected that soon as he learned the truth of her purpose here, he weren't gonna be that interested anymore. What sane stallion would be, right?

(Troy)

15 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Peal was happy to watch as Piecey and Lacuna sang back and forth, though her attention started to get pulled away by the smell of the cooking food.

The smell of food would eventually draw Lacuna's attention too. He were not exactly starving, but it smelled interesting, and if it could be chewed, he were more than happy to try and eat it. Not any chewey parts though. His body wasn't built to deal with anything more firm than an orange, more or less. He'd still stick to the foal though, and chirp along, though his gaze would be drawn towards the source of the smell.

In case no one else had volunteered to stir it every now and again, Vid would go ahead and do it herself. Maybe after a few times watching how, some of the others would get interested, and ask in if they could try. Or they'd prefer her dealing with it. Whatever worked best for them.

16 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Teal and Toupé nodded at that, "Your mother taught you... do you think she could teach us too?"

"Well, I'll have to clear it with the security first, just to make sure it's okay, but maybe? Not soon though, I think. My mom's pregnant, and there's not long until the little ones comes. But I can ask everyone involved, and then get back to you, okay? Promise. Though even if she can't, she still taught me a lot of things, and I'd be happy to pass it along to anyone who wants to learn."

It'd be just like that. with her, teaching her foa- Wards, how to cook, and making sure that every detail got in well and safely. Hardly anything ruined a good cooking session more than a filly who got her hoof into a pot of boiling water, for example. Had never gone that way with herself, but that was because her mother made sure to teach her right, and carefully.

16 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

There was a bit of a sad smile on Ardee's face, "You sound like Mistress, and a little like Arcade. I... I would like to know how to defend myself, properly if that's alright. Improvising can only get you so far, and you only get lucky so often before you don't."

Void knelt down and gave Ardee a warm hug, to try and lift her spirits up again. A short one though, to not clamp her personal space. Unless she indicated somehow that she didn't want Void to let go. She could wait stirring the pot a few more seconds for sure.

"When there's more calm on things, I can teach you a few tricks. It's not professional stuff, since I'm mostly self taught, but experience shows me that I do well, and I know a lot of close combat weapons. We can try and find one that fits you, and teach you how to fend for yourself, okay? I'll try and prepare a few things you can try when the time comes."

Hopefully it'd be something up close Ardee would prefer, as ranged weaponry were more Null's thing. Still, if it would make Ardee feel better, and more safe, Void would happily teach her what she could. Be it cooking, fighting, or how to use a cooking knife to fight. Frankly wouldn't be a bad skill combination, in these rough times.

"This goes for everyone: If we can help you to try and learn something, we will. But its just gonna take some time, so we can make sure its safe for you first."

Seriously, if anyone came in with the intent of actually hurting any of these precious foals... Void were not normally one who reveled in violence, but she could see the world more from Null's perspective no, that she had some she wished to protect too. And she'd happily break some legs if that's what she had to do in the long run, to keep them all safe.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

Arcade raised an eyebrow, "You want to go towards the building they have marked as extra dangerous? You must have a stronger deathwish than I do."

Nonetheless, he shrugged, "If you think that we should go there, lead the way. I'll do my best to keep you safe."

(You seem to have something in mind, so I'll let you flesh it out.)

(Troy)

"Well, I'll have to clear it with the security first, just to make sure it's okay, but maybe? Not soon though, I think. My mom's pregnant, and there's not long until the little ones comes. But I can ask everyone involved, and then get back to you, okay? Promise. Though even if she can't, she still taught me a lot of things, and I'd be happy to pass it along to anyone who wants to learn."

"Preg-nant?" Teal and Toupé both looked at her confused. It seemed that was something they had not been told about that in the facility.

Ardee's expression was a bit more conflicted, like she may have had an idea of what it meant, but wasn't sure if her understanding were correct.

"When there's more calm on things, I can teach you a few tricks. It's not professional stuff, since I'm mostly self taught, but experience shows me that I do well, and I know a lot of close combat weapons. We can try and find one that fits you, and teach you how to fend for yourself, okay? I'll try and prepare a few things you can try when the time comes."

Ardee nodded, "I would like that. Maybe that's something I can do well. They certainly never had me try back there, wasn't something my... was known for."

After Void had stirred the pot herself a few times the young ponies picked up on when they too should be stirring, getting the timing right would take a few attempts, but they would figure it out with enough guidance.

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

On 2/4/2021 at 6:43 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Arcade raised an eyebrow, "You want to go towards the building they have marked as extra dangerous? You must have a stronger deathwish than I do."

Nonetheless, he shrugged, "If you think that we should go there, lead the way. I'll do my best to keep you safe."

"The bottom layers were pretty much bowls of dust. Seems safe enough to check those out, and in general look how it stands out after yesterday. I'm not saying that be barge into the upper levels where the party happened. More than likely, that's where they consider it too dangerous to be. At least I'd think that, considering how it looked yesterday. We should at least go there and take a round around it, right? If things seems shady, we just walk off, and keep that in mind."

She weren't suicidal, but Null did think it important to get a look over how it were now, after the burning slaughterfest that went on yesterday. What were left of the building, how the area looked in general, and and course, seeing if they had just stockpiled the bodies outside. Likely they would have been dumped somewhere less showy, but that twerp from yesterday seemed to arrogant, that she wouldn't be surprised if he just torched folks out back at t he trash, like it were nothing. Rich folks so rarely thought that things would come back to bite them in the flank.

"And I know you can take it, but that doesn't mean I want you to go and sacrifice yourself for me. It hurts me to see you like that, Arcade. Even if it doesn't affect you that badly. So please try and not do something foolhardy."

She'd lead the way towards the tower they were in yesterday, as she talked to Arcade. She made sure not to mention about him resurrecting, in case there were ears on them, but he'd probably get what she were on about here. Hopefully also the point about it actually hurting her, to see him die. Didn't matter that she know he'd come back. It broke her heart to see, and now when there seemed to be a small, yet noticeable connection between them, she suspected it would just hurt even more.

(Troy)

"Preg-nant?" Teal and Toupé both looked at her confused. It seemed that was something they had not been told about that in the facility.

Ardee's expression was a bit more conflicted, like she may have had an idea of what it meant, but wasn't sure if her understanding were correct.

And just about here, Void's stutter would return some, as she'd find herself in a mighty awkward position. She could tell the fillies about the griffons and the breezies, but... This reeeeally didn't seem like the right place to tell them about these sorts of functions. That were more a thing for a class room. With one of the others teaching the finer details about it, rather than her. Or at least it should be at a point when she figured they were old enough to be thinking about foals of their own. So at like, thirty.

But she were put in the spotlight now, so... She had to try and say something, and hope it went well. *gulp* Here goes nothing.

"W-Well, most of the time when two ponies love eachother very much, and want to make a foal, they do... S-Special adult stuff together. Ten months later, she will then give birth to a newborn infant. It's not the only way to get a foal, b-but it's the most common.

So my mom b-being pregnant, just means that I have a baby sister or brother on the way."

For the love of everything, don't ask her what the special adult stuff were! She had to learn about it via very clinical books, and it were icky to her. She couldn't imagine it'd be any less so, if she had to start telling them about it. As well as making some sketches on the chalk board. Just... No, okay? That were a classroom thing, by the teachers, and she were just the cook. Which were a thing excuse, but it were what she'd try and hide behind right now.

She did have enough focus to not refer to pregnancy as the only normal way, as that would likely make the foals feel like she said they were abnormal, or unnatural. Which were really not something she wanted to push down on their minds. They didn't deserve that sort of harshness.

Ardee nodded, "I would like that. Maybe that's something I can do well. They certainly never had me try back there, wasn't something my... was known for."

"I'm sure you w-will be able to use something right, Ardee. Something w-with a blade, from what I can see. Maybe a naginata? I u-used to use one of those. If you can carry them, it's a g-good weapon. I'll show you w-what one of those looks like another day though, okay?"

A little tricky to use in close combat, and required some muscle to truly get use from, but it were a graceful, yet deadly weapon, if used correctly. One of her favorites, and not just because the one she had back in the day, were cursed. Usually made those carrying it go into a berserker rage, ended up killing them, and others. With her? Just a solid weapon, with a really sharp blade. Plus the silver were good against certain enemies.

After Void had stirred the pot herself a few times the young ponies picked up on when they too should be stirring, getting the timing right would take a few attempts, but they would figure it out with enough guidance.

If nothing much else went on, dinner would be ready in about fifteen minutes after this point, with the varied foals having a chance to stir if they wanted to try. The soda would be coming along too, but it weren't done. It still needed to settle for a time. Depending on the recipe, it would be anywhere from a few minutes, to a full day. She'd go through the papers to check up on the time frame then, so she could inform the foal on it, though beyond that, it were time to get the rubies away from the pot.

"Vale, are you ready to take the g-gems? Just use the thongs on the table, please. They should b-be able to deal with this."

They were usually used to dealing with liquid glass, which were quite hot. It should be more then adequate for this task.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

(Didn't realize you meant the Stacked Deck, I can give some more descriptions in that case.)

On 2/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"And I know you can take it, but that doesn't mean I want you to go and sacrifice yourself for me. It hurts me to see you like that, Arcade. Even if it doesn't affect you that badly. So please try and not do something foolhardy."

Arcade nodded, "I'll do my best, I'd never forgive myself if you got hurt when I wasn't able to defend you."

Arriving at the tower they may be surprised to find that ponies were already queuing up like they had the day before for the party, while they couldn't see the penthouse as it extended beyond the cloud layer, they also couldn't see any damage to the tower from the ground. If Null still had her chip from the night before she'd likely be able to get right in just like the night before.

If she did so, they'd once again be in the very dusty lobby, able to head to the elevators or look for the stairway Arcade and Dove had used the previous night.

(Troy)

(Well put)

"W-Well, most of the time when two ponies love eachother very much, and want to make a foal, they do... S-Special adult stuff together. Ten months later, she will then give birth to a newborn infant. It's not the only way to get a foal, b-but it's the most common.

So my mom b-being pregnant, just means that I have a baby sister or brother on the way."

Toupé and Teal didn't seem too satisfied by the answer, "Special adult stuff?", even Arcade seemed confused by the explanation, it seemed like she had a different idea of the meaning of the term.

Vale thankfully stepped in, "Maybe we could get into it in better detail another time, typically you don't learn about those things until you get your marks, which I think is a far more interesting topic."

Teal and Toupé seemed intrigued by the idea, "Marks, like Miss Void and the other ponies have? Could we learn about those tomorrow?"

Vale chuckled and nodded, "Of course, I'll bring in some books tomorrow on the subject so I can teach you all about them. But for now I think it's time for us to eat."

If nothing much else went on, dinner would be ready in about fifteen minutes after this point, with the varied foals having a chance to stir if they wanted to try. The soda would be coming along too, but it weren't done. It still needed to settle for a time. Depending on the recipe, it would be anywhere from a few minutes, to a full day.

The soda wouldn't take long to make at all, the simpler recipes (Italian sodas) simply needed mixing together and chilling prior to consumption. One of the other recipies called for melted ice cream instead of the sweet cream the other sodas used, so perhaps that one would be for another time.

"Vale, are you ready to take the g-gems? Just use the thongs on the table, please. They should b-be able to deal with this."

Vale would come over with the segmented bag, "Alright everyone, stand back, these are very hot." She would remove a side brick to give her access to the stones without having to move the pot, and one by one she carefully removed the stones until only two remained, enough to keep the soup warm while it was served. "I'll get those last two once we're done with the food."

The young ponies would then line up to recieve of the food, Peal and Piecey getting up to stand in line as well given the others were.

@Illiad Easle

(New Las Pegasus)

11 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Arcade nodded, "I'll do my best, I'd never forgive myself if you got hurt when I wasn't able to defend you."

Arriving at the tower they may be surprised to find that ponies were already queuing up like they had the day before for the party, while they couldn't see the penthouse as it extended beyond the cloud layer, they also couldn't see any damage to the tower from the ground. If Null still had her chip from the night before she'd likely be able to get right in just like the night before.

Null audibly - and visually - growled as she saw the line of beings, trying to get into the penthouse from yesterday.

"What is wrong with this town?! He killed dozens yesterday, and they still line up like a bunch of sheep to wander into the slaughter.

I guess this also means the git from yesterday didn't die after all then. How typical. It'd never the ones who deserve it."

She eyed the line, and felt a certain chip, still jingling around under her beret. Tended to be the best place to put things for her, that had to be small, whenever she didn't bring her saddlebags, and she had been distracted today, so she had forgotten. At least she had this though, along with a small knife under her hat as well, so it was something.

"Okay, we need to think of a new plan then. Either we have to sneak in via the line, and just stay downstairs, or we move on, and try to ask the changelings what the big deal is with this place, once Bling gets back to us. There's got to be something more to this, than the town being full of idiots.

What're your thoughts, Arcade? I got the chip if it is, but your input counts here."

(Troy)

12 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Toupé and Teal didn't seem too satisfied by the answer, "Special adult stuff?", even Arcade seemed confused by the explanation, it seemed like she had a different idea of the meaning of the term.

Vale thankfully stepped in, "Maybe we could get into it in better detail another time, typically you don't learn about those things until you get your marks, which I think is a far more interesting topic."

Teal and Toupé seemed intrigued by the idea, "Marks, like Miss Void and the other ponies have? Could we learn about those tomorrow?"

Vale chuckled and nodded, "Of course, I'll bring in some books tomorrow on the subject so I can teach you all about them. But for now I think it's time for us to eat."

The way Void looked at Vale as she stepped in and saved her from this situation, almost seemed to scream *Thank you*. Which would encompass the exact thing the mare wished she could say to Vale right now, though the words spoken, would likely make the foals ask what she were saved from. And then it'd just get worse, as young minds tended to get more curious when they learned something were not meant to be learned by them. At least, that kind of *hunt for forbidden knowledge* intrigue, were her experience when it came to foals. Herself included, as she had been a curious sort too, at their age.

Thankfully, she kept shut about that, and Vale continued to save her, by derailing the conversation, and making it something that'd be dealt with at a later point, when it were part of their lessons. AKA: Not her problem.

13 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

The soda wouldn't take long to make at all, the simpler recipes (Italian sodas) simply needed mixing together and chilling prior to consumption. One of the other recipies called for melted ice cream instead of the sweet cream the other sodas used, so perhaps that one would be for another time.

Chilling... Right, she knew she forgot about something.

If there were a fridge, or some other way to cool things off, she'd go and place the mixture in there now. if not, they'd have to search for a way later, and give this to the little ones tomorrow. Hopefully there'd be some way today though. She were sure they were curious what this were, and frankly, so were she. It were supposed to be soda after all, and it looked like it. Question really were if it tasted like it. Which she couldn't say for sure, as it were her first attempt.

13 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Vale would come over with the segmented bag, "Alright everyone, stand back, these are very hot." She would remove a side brick to give her access to the stones without having to move the pot, and one by one she carefully removed the stones until only two remained, enough to keep the soup warm while it was served. "I'll get those last two once we're done with the food."

The young ponies would then line up to recieve of the food, Peal and Piecey getting up to stand in line as well given the others were.

"Thank you fort h-help, Vale. I'll make sure to pour up for everyone then. Please get in an orderly line, o-okay? I'll make sure you all get something. And if you want to try the spice too, I have a little bowl with a spoon of that. Anyone wanting to t-try, please just say, and you'll get a spoonful on the side. If you want more later, t-then that's okay. Just making sure you taste, before anything."

She had bowls, she had a warm stew, and going over to her bag, she also had some baguette, which she had cut at an earlier date. Seemed like they were as ready as could be.

So one by one, the foals would get a lovely, steaming bowl full of stew, a piece of bread, and if they wanted it, a spoonful of the spicy food. If they then wanted more, and wanted to try it in the stew, she'd mix some into their bowl, before going on to the next ones. As for the order others would be served in, it just depended on the line the foals made, though the adults came last. Herself being the very last, as she wanted to make sure the rest got fed first. Even if there were still plenty, in case others were hungry.

Once Peal and Piecey showed up, she'd make sure they too got bowls, but smaller ones, since she weren't sure how much they could eat thus far. It were also rather cute how Lacuna had climbed Piecey, and stood on her head, to try and get a good look at what were in her bowl. Sneaky little thing were likely trying to guess what were there for him to eat, but she'd reach her hoof out, and get him to climb back up on her again. She'd share her bowl with him. Cacklers were fairly clean animals, and especially the domestic ones, as they were less likely to rummage through your trash for scraps, due to them being regularly fed.

They'd still do it though, as they would want more food than what were advised sometimes, but it were less than normal, and they tended to enjoy having a bath in a bowl of water.

As for the stew itself, it would be somewhat chewey for some of the roots, but everything should still be possible for them all to chew through, and the worst things could be mushed for the smallest of them. Which Void would do herself, if Ardee, or one of the others, did not stop her from doing so. Either from them wanting the small ones to chew these things down, or due to them wanting to do it themselves. She'd let any who said something like that, do it, if they wished to.

Taste-wise, it'd be a good, earthy, and hearty meal. The spice would add a spike to it, if they wished to try it, but nothing major. It were more of a sweet chili really.

"I hope dinner tastes good. So... E-Everyone, you can eat now."

Lacuna would get his head into her bowl, and grab a piece of soft carrot before she had a chance to go into it herself, but Void didn't mind. It were part of having a Cackler, after all. Had to get used to sharing your meals, or get an earful from a dissapointed lizard.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(NP)

Arcade paused a moment as he scanned the crowd, before leaning in to talk quietly to Null "I think I recognize a few of them from last night. If I'm not mistaken... I think a few of the ponies in this crowd died last night." He thought a moment, "Hmm, I think I can identify another artifact they have. I thought I recognized that strange stairway sculpture. It was one of the things they thought my... condition... might be related to. I never got to know too much about it, maybe the expert they send might know more."

Arcade thought about what Null told him, "It might be best to have the changelings tell us what they know, but there's no harm in investigating for ourselves in the meantime. If we can get in I could get us to that stairwell we took out last night, see if there's anything of note on the other floors."

(Troy)

The ponies were quite orderly when it came to getting their food, only Ardee electing to try the spice, with Teal and Toupé collecting the bowls for the foals as well, as they had done in prior days, helping the foals to eat without making too much of a mess and ensuring it was cool enough for them to not burn themselves, placating them with the bread to give the stew long enough to cool.

Void had a icebox at her disposal, so setting the soda in to chill wouldn't be too difficult, and there was ice available if they weren't fully chilled by the time she wanted to serve them.

It was about when they were all settled in and starting to eat when Elef and the guard mare (Who we haven't named yet by my best recollection, so her name is Ada now) returned from their cultural celebration, Elef still excited by it all, and laden with some used saddlebags filled with a small collection of books, yet obviously exhausted by his activities. "Hey guys! I can't wait to tell you all what all I saw and did!"

The guard mare hung out by the doorway, waiting patiently to talk to Void when she had the chance.